Thread: Finally got around the playing Crisis Core...

The White Wizard of Fynn Finally got around the playing Crisis Core... Mindu's Avatar

Finally got around to playing Crisis Core...

I was never that enthusiastic about Crisis Core because I didn't share the fanboys love of FF7. It's been sitting there collecting dust since I bought it in the summer, but I started playing Crisis Core over christmas and I'm gonna have to say I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did.

As far as the gameplay goes, I think it was a fluid improvement on the Kingdom Hearts style of battle that was both different but kept the feel of the old turn based combat of FF, and the DMW put a unique "spin" on things. The only thing I would fault was the repetitiveness of the side missions, which were to an extent essential for being strong enough to progress in the game and could be generalised as running around, fighting a few enemies, collecting a few items and defeating a boss - unsuccessfully fleshed out with the mission briefs that tried to relate them to the story.

The story had me pulled in the whole time. It succeeded as being a whole different chapter in the Compilation with new and convincing characters while containing many things that lead it up to the original. It was great to see the Nibelheim flashback recreated in 3D. And some of the visuals had me taken aback as far as the PSP goes. I thought the FMV where Sephiroth and Genesis were sparring was one of the most beautifully rendered scenes of all time. The only downside was that because it was a prequel, we all knew how the story would end.
    Last edited by Mindu; 01-08-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Registered User Finally got around the playing Crisis Core...

Re: Finally got around the playing Crisis Core...

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've played through it twice myself, and have a third playthrough going that I'm gonna finish up sometime. I have some issues with the game, but overall, I think it's good.

And yeah, I agree about the whole "since it's a prequel, you know how it's gonna end", but it still got to me pretty hard.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Finally got around the playing Crisis Core... Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mindu View Post
    I was never that enthusiastic about Crisis Core because I didn't share the fanboys love of FF7. It's been sitting there collecting dust since I bought it in the summer, but I started playing Crisis Core over christmas and I'm gonna have to say I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did.
    This pretty much sums my feelings towards Crisis Core at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    And yeah, I agree about the whole "since it's a prequel, you know how it's gonna end", but it still got to me pretty hard.
    Same here.

I actually found Crisis Core to be more enjoyable than VII itself, if nothing else it has a way better protagonist. The only downfall to this game is lack of world map and towns to roam around, and at least a decent villain since Genesis sucks even more than Sephiroth.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Registered User Finally got around the playing Crisis Core... TheLastAdventAuron's Avatar

Does anyone but me hate the Turks and want to strangle Cloud for being such a douchebag and not helping his friend after he recovered? (btw I LOVE CC it's personally the best FF out there besides Tactics)

The White Wizard of Fynn Finally got around the playing Crisis Core... Mindu's Avatar

Yeah, I think the Turks are overrated and they do my head in. I didn't mind Cissnei, though. Most likely Cloud was still too weak when he woke up; after the fight he barely had the strength to carry the Buster Sword.

Something I didn't understand: Why does Cloud ask Zack why he never uses his sword? He uses it all the time, doesn't he? Apart from in Angeal's DMW.

Memento Rhapso Finally got around the playing Crisis Core... Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mindu View Post
    Yeah, I think the Turks are overrated and they do my head in. I didn't mind Cissnei, though. Most likely Cloud was still too weak when he woke up; after the fight he barely had the strength to carry the Buster Sword.

Something I didn't understand: Why does Cloud ask Zack why he never uses his sword? He uses it all the time, doesn't he? Apart from in Angeal's DMW.
    Zack uses the blunt side, like Angeal told him. I think Cloud was asking why he does that instead of "using" the sword (the edge.)

The Turks are well overrated, but I happen to respect Cloud quite a bit. We can debate that later, TheLastAdvent squidlord

On topic, I, too, am glad you're enjoying it. It's technically my first "real" Final Fantasy game, so it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Registered User Finally got around the playing Crisis Core... NeoAquarius12's Avatar

Crisis Core is boss. It's one of the truly great additional FF games. The others were okay, but Crisis Core really felt like it's own game and it stood out on its own. But yes, the side missions were a bit ridiculous. How many times is kid Yuffie going to trick Zach before he gets the hint????

The DMW was a bit ridiculous personally, but it made the game unique, and it worked well, so I can't complain too much. AND... Why Octaslash? haha

Man, you sound JUST like me! I had zero interest in this game, and then it turned around and grabbed me by all the emotions. I had to put my PSP down and just CRY for a while after I beat it!

This game is definitely one of my favorite games now, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one who had their mind changed entirely by the game. Do we have a club? Do we get shirts?

Vanadielle

Crisis Core's storyline is really beautiful! It combines romance,friendship,loyalty and struggles into one. I made Zack my favorite character...replacing Cloud. I don't know, he deserves it better! He's indeed a true hero