Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FFVII remake is happening.

Ex-SOLDIER FFVII remake is happening. Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just read a somewhat interesting article that brought something to light.

Given that FF has been moving towards an immersive gameplay style, do you think that squeenix would go with the original ATB/ random encounter style, or do you think they'd go with the newer more real-time based battle system to keep the flow of a "real" encounter?

Personally, I would be livid if they changed anything but the graphics, and maybe a few small tweaks to the story. I like the idea of new dungeons for the materia caves, as that's not tweaking the story. At the same time, I'd want it done by the original designers, which probably won't happen.
    Theoretically, given the expanse of the FF7 world, it wouldn't exactly be easy to do a real-time battle system like FFXII and beyond. With the exception of XII (and very little exception there, in my opinion), none of those games are really "free roam" like FF7 is. It would be difficult to remake FF7 with a real-time battle system like these games.

Realistically, they'll probably do it anyway.
    Last edited by Cloud Strife; 04-10-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Minor typo

Just an update, not a rewrite

I would love to see an updated version of FFVII, but not one that has been changed excessively. Some new side quests could be nice, but no new characters or major plot points. This is my all time favorite, the standard by which the others are judged, so changing it would be sacrilege. The one thing that always really bothered me that I would like to see changed is when every player gets experience even when not involved in battle. Then their special attacks didn't always level up right, etc. I like experience for actual action. Otherwise, leave it alone.

I honestly don't think anything will ever, ever, ever beat the original. But you can bet your sweet lil faces I would be all over playing a remake as well. IT WOULD MAKE MY CHILDHOOD SO HAPPY.

Real time battles are so not what FF games were meant to be. You can't combine quick action with classic turn based strategy, because it'd be too fast to do all the offensive, support and healing spells/moves and assign them all in the right way in time. That'd be like playing old school FF's with x10 speed. In order to play real time battles you have to oversimplify everything or automate the crap out of your commands, which also forces the game to become more simple and predictable. I still don't know why FF13 went this way altogether and this shouldn't be how future FF or remakes are played.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth FFVII remake is happening. Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin1199 View Post
    Real time battles are so not what FF games were meant to be. You can't combine quick action with classic turn based strategy, because it'd be too fast to do all the offensive, support and healing spells/moves and assign them all in the right way in time. That'd be like playing old school FF's with x10 speed. In order to play real time battles you have to oversimplify everything or automate the crap out of your commands, which also forces the game to become more simple and predictable. I still don't know why FF13 went this way altogether and this shouldn't be how future FF or remakes are played.
    Not quite. FF XIII utilizes classic ATB system, although bit refined. You still have to wait for ATB slots to fill up to issue any and all commands, and seeing as you have the "wait" option for those who prefer taking it bit slower you can play FF XIII like any other FF with ATB in it. You can go with fast paced, often hectic battles or simply old school, whatever floats your boat, really.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I see. If you go with the classic way, do the battles become more tactical and varied?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth FFVII remake is happening. Xanatos's Avatar
    Depends on the opponent, really. Just so you don't misunderstand me, it's not a classic "wait mode", it merely lowers the overall tempo down. I myself prefer FF XIII to be as fast paced and hectic as possible, it often makes for some tense, exciting and genuinely challenging battles, even against some minor opponents. And if you think there's no tactic in it at all you're gravely mistaken, you are required to constantly change your paradigms, prior to and during the battle. Minor mistakes can be costly, I found myself dying in this game more than in any other FF, FFV excluded. XIII's battle system is in my opinion its best feature.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I'm still confused about how the paradigm thing works. Sounds like a group of predetermined commands which makes it seem like monsters are also tied to their patterns of attacks and that spells predictability. Not like older FF's were super strategy oriented anyways, but sometimes you had make your characters really change tactics and do it pretty often. A monster that hits with heavy offensive spells on all and then goes to do status spells on one or all, then goes mega offensive on one person made it a juggle for healing, status repairing and risking who to heal the most before the big attack came. With a very fast paced battle system how can one switch tactics around fast enough, unless it's pre programmed for every type of scenario, which would mean heavy automation and just sitting back alot. Maybe not like that, but more like doing multiple moves with fewer commands. I can't really grasp or picture this system in my head. Speed scares me.
    Last edited by Odin1199; 08-31-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Consistently Average FFVII remake is happening. Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    @ Odin: I can't really quote a whole bunch from my phone, but you pretty much described XIII's battle system from " not like older FF's were super strategy orientated" to "before the big attack comes"

A good majority of boss battles and powerful regular encounters require you to adapt your strategy on the fly. You really have to think ahead and change tactics accordingly. As xanatos said XIII's battle system was on of it's strengths.

I think the best way for you to come to grips with it is to play the game.

Tbh being one of XIII's strong points isn't saying much though

EDIT: Now that i'm on a computer I understand a bit more of what you were saying (Odin, that is) maybe you could start a thread about this topic in the FFXIII section so we can be more help without derailing this FFVII thread.
    Last edited by Kurt Zisa; 09-01-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

I just tell people this, play the "Tutorial", by the time you get done with that, you will know if you want to finish the game.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Certified tech, come at me! FFVII remake is happening. SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Currently Playing:

That can just be some fine tuned picture from the G Bike game.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

The British Guy. FFVII remake is happening. Robbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They've remade enough for handhelds now that I feel like it is possible but a game that was so loved and for a lot of people sold the Playstation it could be being kept as a safety measure in case business goes bad, However if i was in Squares shoes i'd keep hold of it and make it a launch title on the next Gen of PS keep it as a Sony exclusive.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder
    Melibooyah says:
    Uggh bbl everyone is blowing me uo and I have to do my homework -_-
    Typo's change everything ^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2