Thread: Final Fantasy VI Music

The Lost Writer Final Fantasy VI Music Psiko's Avatar

Final Fantasy VI Music

I'm sure we've discussed this sort of thing on here before in the eight years I've been around, but I have been itching to listen to some great Final Fantasy VI music and, in doing so, I was inspired to compile a top ten songs from the game. Do you have to agree with them all? Hell to the no. Are there great ones not on this list? Without question. When there are 64 tracks, and MANY of them deserving a spot on the list, you are bound to miss a few worthy tracks. I'm expanding this to essentially a top twelve, giving two honorable mention nods to the tracks that barely lost out in making the list. Interested in making your own list? Feel free to post it within this thread. Want to argue why you think song X deserves a better spot than song Y? Go ahead, post it in here and let us discuss it.

10. Relm's Theme - Ironic how one of the most overlooked and underrated characters in this game has one of the best individual themes. There is such strong emotion contained within this theme, especially if you manage to get your hands on the orchestrated rendition of this tune, or the vocal variation. It sets the mood rather well for a few scenes within the game and will always be for me, as well as for countless other Final Fantasy VI fans, the best thing to come from Relm in this game.

9. Setzer's Theme - The only other character theme to crack into my top ten, this simply makes me want to go out and save the world. Upbeat and motivating, some people might tire of hearing this theme every time they go inside the airship to change characters, but I look forward to this almost as much as the ever-changing commentary of the other characters inside the airship. If you're going to gamble your life away to fight Kefka, why not go with an optimistic outlook? This song helps to deliver that.

8. Phantom Train - I remember the eerie vibe I got the very first time I set foot into the Phantom Train as a child. Surrounded by ghosts and the thought that there is 'No escape...' this is the perfect backdrop for your journey to the front of the train to bargain for your soul's salvation. Check out the piano and orchestrated versions of this tune for some extra enjoyment options.

7. Battle to the Death - Oh holy shit, this music is intense! Well, that was my initial impression upon reaching Atma Weapon. It was a very refreshing change from the usual boss theme (which isn't bad at all, mind you). If you are poorly prepared in strategy or levels, this boss can be one badass mofo who will gladly munch on your bones for breakfast. Even after all these years I can still have an epic struggle to battle my way past him. No wonder the Atma Weapon is such an incredible sword, huh?

6. Johnny C. Bad - I can picture an entire arena of people just jiving with this tune in the background. It has an amazing beat and is catchy as hell. I often find myself whistling or humming this at work. It sticks with you and serves as the theme for the Coliseum, which is disappointing as a whole because you just hate gambling that rare item to have Chupon appear and take it away from you. It represents those endless hours of reset after reset to get that proper combination of gambles for some of the best gear and relics in the game.

BREAKING INTO THE TOP FIVE! YAY YOU FOR STILL READING THIS!

5. The Decisive Battle - Remember how I mentioned Battle to the Death as being a refreshing new boss music? Yeah, well, this is still by far the best theme out of any Final Fantasy game for the endless stream of bosses. It makes me want to get up and Bum Rush the hell out of something, and with the ability to now play this song on Guitar Hero (THANK YOU to whoever added this song!) I am hoping a new generation of RPG gamers will have to agree upon hearing this tune.

4. Forever Rachel - Poor Locke. You have to feel for the guy when you see his story displayed, and the tragedy that shaped him into the ironically chivalrous character he is. A thief with a heart? Say it ain't so! No matter how low I rank Locke's usefulness in the party, I have to say that he is part of some of the best storylines within Final Fantasy VI. Check out the orchestrated version sometime, as that one ALWAYS manages to get me a bit emotional. What can I say? It is a moving theme.

3. Slam Shuffle - I can't get enough of this theme. Leaping from window to window in the pouring rain, chainsaw in hand, this song makes Zozo among the most memorable areas in the game. Everyone in Zozo lies, but even they wouldn't be able to outright tell you that this song is crap. It is far too big of a lie for anyone to tell. I think the best version of this one out there, that I have heard, is by the Minibosses. They completely rock it out, just like you should.

HONORABLE MENTION #1 - Terra's Theme - Simple, yet it is memorable as one of the best songs to play while traveling on the world map in an RPG. It was hard deciding whether this was deserving to place in my top ten, and in the end the heartwrenching nature of Relm's Theme won out and knocked this one off the chart. Check out Terra in Black. You'll thank me later.

2. Aria di Mezzo Carattere - I would imagine nine out of every ten gamers who have played Final Fantasy VI through would likely name the Opera scene as the most memorable part of the game. I certainly would do so, and although I am too lazy to confirm my assumption I doubt it is too far off. Ever since we've seen a few failed attempts at recreating a scene similar to this in other Final Fantasy games, and none come close to reaching its greatness. Going hand-in-hand with this theme would be the Wedding Waltz - Duel, yet it pales in comparison to the magnitude of Aria. If you are lucky enough to find the entire opera scene lumped together into one, like the Darkness and Starlight by the Black Mages, you can enjoy it all wrapped into one lengthy tune of awesome.

HONORABLE MENTION #2 - Celes' Theme - Yes, it is much like Aria di Mezzo Carattere in all due respect, but it is the backdrop theme for one of the most impactful scenes in the game. What better way to capture the heartwrenching emotion when Celes goes to try and commit suicide? That alone makes it worthy of hitting the top ten, but at the same time it was too much like Aria to convince me to leave off Setzer or Relm in favor of this. Either way, I made damn sure to give mention to this incredible composition.

1. Dancing Mad - Dancing. ****ing. Mad. Bitches. Yes, this song is the representation of everything you have fought to achieve after hours of turmoil and emotional strain. People who claim One Winged Angel to be the greatest Final Battle theme of all time must not have played through VI. This music is PERFECT for the battle, and the organ piping the background with the chanting is perfect. The demented genius of Kefka is finally faced head-on and a gamer couldn't possibly demand a better theme to go with it. The Black Mages' version of this is one of my favorite songs of ALL TIME (not just in video games, people), and with valid reason. Long before Sephiroth fought you with his one wing, Kefka started the trend and does it far better.
    Last edited by Psiko; 09-29-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    OLD SKOOL - A positive appellation referring to when things weren't flashy but empty of substance, were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labour-saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of "old skool."

In reference to computer games, refers to a game that had substantial playability without flashy graphics or eye candy. Old skool gamers appreciate difficult maneuvers, careful planning, and scorched earth policies.

In reference to role-playing games, old skool refers to games that tested players' wits, could kill off careless characters, and required dedication and inner strength to play. Old skool games didn't pander to the ideas that everyone is created equal, that all options are open to all races, that the markets were somehow free, and that a quasi-medieval society could have near 100% literacy.

See also classic.

Representing the Old Skool ways since 1984.

Inspired by your post, Psiko, I decided to make my own top 10, because I just HAD TO listen to those great songs again. x3 (It took me an hour to listen to everything AND make the top 10, actually xD")

So here's my personal top 10:

10. Esper World
    YouTube: Esper World
    Somehow I liked that song much. It always reminds me on how I tried to find more things to do in the Esper world. xP But there wasn't much, so I just listened to the music. <3
    It's as good as many other songs and I had a hard time deciding if I should stick with it or decide on another one. .,.

9. From That Day On
    YouTube: Froom That Day On
    It's also not a special song, but it is one I liked to listen to. <3 Besides, I didn't really like the beginning that much, but if you listen to the whole song, you'll hear that it's really beautiful, though it isn't as sad as it maybe should be. Also, I think it's a good song because for me it sounds like FFVI. It has some special atmosphere surrounding it which reminds me of FFVI instantly. ^^

8. Coin of Fate
    YouTube: Coin of Fate
    I admit that I especially liked the sad tunes of FFVI. And this was one of them. Also, I liked Edgar quite much, so I guess that's why I chose this song to be in my top 10. It's a great song, telling the whole stories of two brothers so sadly... .,.
    I think it's even better than the actual theme of Edgar and Sabin. Way better.

7. Battle to the Death
    YouTube: Battle to the Death
    This really is an impressive song and I liked it much. It was the best battle theme in the whole game. When I listen to it it always reminds me on how I tried to be faster and faster. Somehow it implies that you have to work harder to finish this boss. X.x
    All the other battle themes weren't that bad, but this one was the best. Hit me, if you like, but I even think it's better than Dancing Mad. .-."

6. Kefka's Theme
    YouTube: Kefka's Theme
    You know... this song fits Kefka perfectly. It tells you that Kefka is a total freak, menacing the whole world. And it somehow implies that Kefka is a creepy, yet naughty little boy. XD I always have this impression when listening to the song.
    Besides, it always reminds me on: "Ahem - there's SAND on my boots!" - awesomenessł! XD This song's one of the many reasons why Kefka is the best villain of the FF series EVER!

5. Searching for Friends
    YouTube: Searching for Friends
    In the beginning, I hated this song. I hated it so much because I knew there was no turning back to the old music of the world map. And it made me sad. .,. It's a really sad song which always reminds me of how Kefka destroyed everything. Also, when I searched for my party, it was the best song to have. It's depressing, yet it's also hopeful.

4. Cyan's Theme
    YouTube: Cyan's Theme
    I might not have liked Cyan if not for his theme. I pitied him much when I encountered him. He'd lost all of his family, his kingdom, everything. And then there was this music in the background, telling me he'd go on with his life and revenge his family. ToT There are so many emotions in this song, it's just great.

3. Forever Rachel
    YouTube: Forever Rachel
    Psiko's right. Poor Locke. I didn't really like Locke when I played the game, but after hearing his sad story and all about Rachel... I began to like him .,. I think I also almost cried when I heard the song and read the story behind it. It's a really, really sad song and one of the best songs in the game. (That's why it's no3 for me x3") If you happen to listen to it now... prepare some tissues.. just in case. XD"

2. Terra's Theme
    YouTube: Terra's Theme
    When I first played the game and listened to the music playing on the world map... it was a great feeling. I can't describe my feelings towards this song, but I really really love it. It's sad yet hopeful, again, and it's a song that's stuck in your head even after you put off your PSX (or GBA).
    I especially like the version of Risa Ohki ("Toki no Hourousha"). If you find it on youtube - listen to it! You won't regret listening to it.
    I even practiced playing it on my keyboard. x3" I sucked, to be honest, but I know the basic notes now and it's always nice to play such a great song. *_*

So here's my number 1 >3 (Probably everyone already knows, I'm just a girl, y'know? XD")

1. Aria di Mezzo Carattere (+ Celes' Theme)
    YouTube: Aria di Mezzo Carattere
    I put those songs together because they're basically the same. And I couldn't even say which one I like better ToT But I decided on the Aria. Just because it's a masterpiece. Though it's just a midi and it sounds just like a song from an old video game, I think it tells more than other songs. It's also a sad song (did I mention that I love the sad songs in FFVI? XD"), and it makes me wanna cry everytime I listen to it, but... but! T_T You know, it's again quite difficult to describe my feelings.
    It's just a great song. Which was played in the greatest scene ever. Just listen to it, then you'll probably understand. x3"

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)