Thread: The famous FFVI SGI demo

Certified tech, come at me! The famous FFVI SGI demo SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The famous FFVI SGI demo

I went to watch those tech demos of what could of been an N64 FF and seeing them now, I think Square could still make something out of that work-in-progress interactive game. I think they should either make it on the DS with the touchscreen features or make it into some sort of WiiWare game using the same graphics or polishing them up to look better. What do you guys think?
    Currently Playing:

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 The famous FFVI SGI demo T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabin Rene Figaro View Post
    I went to watch those tech demos of what could of been an N64 FF and seeing them now, I think Square could still make something out of that work-in-progress interactive game. I think they should either make it on the DS with the touchscreen features or make it into some sort of WiiWare game using the same graphics or polishing them up to look better. What do you guys think?
    Well...technically, while the concept of interaction was eventually dropped, Square did use the graphics presented at the demo and shaped them to eventually become Final Fantasy VII. From the moment of the demo to the end product of FFVII, the developers managed to refine the engine without the degree of memory restraint the cartridge format had, which was part of the decision for Square Enix to move to the Playstation.

As for a 3D game based off FFVI...well, consider that the remakes of FFIII and FFIV were handled by Matrix Software, so any DS game that relates to the original Final Fantasy series will probably use the current sprites. In those games, the touch screen interaction was quite minimal, ranging mostly to emulating mouse movement and pinpoint selection. Revamping the interactive concept presented at the demo may cause some troubles with other existing companies, such as Konami (who incidentally used a similar procedure for the first Castlevania DS game, albeit in a very limited manner); not to mention the entire system may feel a bit awkward. Sequel-wise...FFIV had a nostalgic sequel given that they could work something out, but FFVI has various difficulties representing that. It doesn't mean a prequel can be made (it has been suggested at these forums, given the entire period of the War of the Magi was only touched), but it makes difficult for a sequel to be made.
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

I'd definitely buy a DS remake of FFVI since it's so far my favorite game...
    I've already finished FFIV DS, but in FFIII DS i just managed to get stuck in Mini after the pirate thing(my Red Mage's max MP wasn't enough to reverse the spell oddly enough...? I could get myself into mini but not out -.-)