Thread: Why Is FFIII So Distasteful?

Why Is FFIII So Distasteful? Secret Weapon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why Is FFIII So Distasteful?

Im trying to understand why so many FF hard heads (hardcore fans) dont like FF III as much. I love it very much and I dont see much issue to this game. Good diffuculty, excellant encounter rate, very catchy music, steady leveling up and job training. I dont see why so many of members have so much conflict with this game.

Anyone care to take me up on this?
    You Are Ichigo Kurosaki....

{My Loving TFF Family}
    My Mastermind Trivia Dad: Phantom
    My FFVII Obsessed sister : Unknown Entity
    My Caring Big Sis : Crazy Chocbo
    My Most Welcoming cousin : Priscilla
    My Anime-Addicted mother: Athna Loveil
    My High Flyin and Profiling Pilot brother: Final Fantasy Cid
    My FFVII, Tifa Befriended aunt: Winterborn86
    My Kool Aid addicted cousin: Mr. Spike
    My Yaoi Raving mom: Bleachfangirl
    My Cristina Scabbing Worshipping bro: Fishie
    My Ready to Knock Your Lights Out bro: Silver

Thanks Halie for the sig pic!

RPG's currently playing: Final Fantasy VII, Pokémon Crystal, Devil May Cry Collections (1,2 and 3)

Consistently Average Why Is FFIII So Distasteful? Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Why Is FFIII So Distasteful?

I love playing this game, but if I was to give an example of why others may not like it so much, it would be the lack of depth to the story and characters.

Maybe lack is too strong a word, but I did tend to notice, especially towards the end of the game, that you go to places simply because you were told to. There was a sense of "let's get the next crystal, defeat this boss, get to the next crystal".

It is a challenging game, one which requires a certain amount of effort to play well, but that makes beating that certain boss or obtaining the next crystal all the more rewarding.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

I want to play a game. Why Is FFIII So Distasteful? Zargabaath's Avatar

As Kurt Zisa said it would be most likely towards the characters and story. Perhaps the job system being not as open as in FFV, which more players probably played before FFIII, is a reason they dislike the game.

I liked the game. Had a pure fantasy and old-school feel. A simpler job system but I was experimental nonetheless.

Final Fantasy III was made for the NES which some people may forget. For its time it was pretty good. The DS version upgrades the characters and story a bit, but it keeps the old-school feel. Nothing overly complicated or in-depth.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Why Is FFIII So Distasteful? Secret Weapon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@ Zargabaath: I know all TFF members play FF for their story, gameplay, and music but as far as playability, I dont see why this FF isnt in the top 3 based just on the game itself (aside from their stories).

My reason for playing a FF is how much it appeals me and I feel VII, V, and III do it the best for me. Primarily not for their stories but, how much those games give me to do. VI would be 4th in the list but im more on the free roam let me do my thing and I'll get to the story when I want kind of FF player. I love when a games diffuculty MAKES you train & level to proceed with the story. I think some FF's im less interested in is the other way around because they force the story on you & isn't concerned on how powerful you are. FFVIII is the perfect balance of this because enemies level up with you. X does too but its free roam is a little too dull for me.

Most of you guys wanna get through the story and train your characters just so you can get through and be done with it. When I play Final Fantasy, I train my characters be the strongest on it's planet... no matter who I face.
    You Are Ichigo Kurosaki....

{My Loving TFF Family}
    My Mastermind Trivia Dad: Phantom
    My FFVII Obsessed sister : Unknown Entity
    My Caring Big Sis : Crazy Chocbo
    My Most Welcoming cousin : Priscilla
    My Anime-Addicted mother: Athna Loveil
    My High Flyin and Profiling Pilot brother: Final Fantasy Cid
    My FFVII, Tifa Befriended aunt: Winterborn86
    My Kool Aid addicted cousin: Mr. Spike
    My Yaoi Raving mom: Bleachfangirl
    My Cristina Scabbing Worshipping bro: Fishie
    My Ready to Knock Your Lights Out bro: Silver

Thanks Halie for the sig pic!

RPG's currently playing: Final Fantasy VII, Pokémon Crystal, Devil May Cry Collections (1,2 and 3)

Story wise, FF3 is just like FF1. Back in those days, story and character development weren't that important, so you kind of have to ignore those things and play it like the previous games. It's best to play it on NES (or emulator) first.