Thread: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game spotlight

Certified tech, come at me! Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game spotlight SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game spotlight

Today, I would like to share about a sega game not too many people know about that you could mostly stumble upon by watching YouTube videos.

The name of the game is Star Cruiser; it's a science fiction, first person, space shooter rpg originally developed for the PC-88 in japan and later ported to the Mega Drive.

It was originally going to be released in the west as Star Quest but was cancelled during development for the West.

Here is what the game looks like, this is intro and gameplay from a fan translated version, would you have played this as a kid who grew up on Sega games?
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    Man I woulda played that in a heartbeat o_o

Looks like SEGAs had a stab at StarFox for ideas there.. if you want more stuff like that go over to this YT channel called "World of Longplays" it's a insane nostalgia kick once you get to the 8-bit playlists ^_^
    SPOILER!!:

^_^

Bananarama Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game spotlight Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would love to play that!

And if out came out on 1988, I would be inclined to believe that Star Fox may have stolen some ideas. Without trying to sound too inflammatory, the genesis was a better console with more innovative games.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Certified tech, come at me! Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game spotlight SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And if out came out on 1988, I would be inclined to believe that Star Fox may have stolen some ideas.
    I was thinking along the same lines that Nintendo may have taken examples from this game, I compared and contrasted the developers for star fox snes and star cruiser but none of the devs have worked on both titles, but it definitely looks like Star Fox is an inspired game from Star Cruiser.

@Dawezy: Thanks for the info about the youtube channel! I look into these kinds of things a lot with old games and especially stuff that hasn't made it to the west.

Other than that, I can't get enough of that intro music, quite a quality midi chiptune and the intro is really ahead of it's time. I might consider importing the game, there are platforms that allow you to play the game with an english translation, I'd also be down for an official localization or maybe some sort of remake.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    Never considered it the other way around tbh, suppose it's general ignorance on my part to Nintendo software and its release timeline - as with Pete it seems we were part of the SEGA flood back in the 80s, all I knew pretty much lol

Sure I had a couple buddies that had a NES/SNES, but I was SMS/GEN all the way bro!! still am ...technically?
    SPOILER!!:

^_^