Thread: JRPG Review: Atelier Escha and Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

The Quiet One JRPG Review: Atelier Escha and Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

JRPG News Post JRPG Review: Atelier Escha and Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

The old JRPG reviews are looking to return. With a long catalog of games to cover, I should be busy and it looks like Rowan will be joining in helping out as well. So look forward to new and old JRPGs.

First, Atelier Escha and Logy was picked because I just finished so it only made sense. Plus, it comes from Gust one of my favorite JRPG developers and the long running Atelier series one of my favorites. The Atelier games on the PS3 have always been a bit of a haven for those just wanting to relax enjoy a little light RPGing and have some fun. Things aren't too serious and the the stakes tend to not be much higher than making sure your Atelier/workshop can keep running for the next month. The reason changes from game to game, but the world is never at stake and sometimes that's all you need.

Before I get too deep into things, I'm going to say that I'm probably going to bring up Mana Khemia 2 in this review frequently, another Gust game, because when the game was announced last year with two protagonists I immediately thought of Mana Khemia 2. The comparisons will not stop there. But I'll get it such points in due time.

A bit of an introduction to the Atelier series is necessary. The older PS3 games have had more of a higher entry level, both for their lack of traditional RPG focuses and very dependent time management skills to enjoy many of the side stories that are the meat of the game. If you play them, I'd suggest a guide just so you can be sure to enjoy all of the character stories, which are the heart of the game at times. However, after the Arland series ended, the first three Ateliers for the PS3, the new Dusk series made a different direction in the path of the games. Aside from a new character designer giving the game a new look, they simplified the complex nature of the game and eased up on the time management needed. The result was the Dusk series was a more new-comer friend game and the best place to really start for someone interested in trying the series, but uncertain.

The series itself has been running in Japan in the PSone, but only saw English releases starting on the PS2 in the form of the Atelier Iris trilogy, which were stand alone games, that diverged from the core of the series and remains the set of Atelier games that played more like traditional RPGs. Atelier Iris 3 was my first Atelier game, which gave me a big surprise when everything changed on the PS3. All PS3 Atelier games ran on a calender, where every action you made spent precious time and there was a limit to the amount of days a playthrough had. So you had to be sure what you did was needed. Wasting time on unnecessary actions was the scariest part of the early games. Much of that has relaxed in Escha.

The most important thing to remember about the game is that at it's core, it's a crafting game. Everything you do will funnel you back to making items. If you're having trouble killing enemies, grinding levels only gains you so much and tends to be more of a waste of effort as that also burns time, no making better gear or stronger bombs is the way to succeed. When you go out of town you're always looking for more materials to bring back to synthesize your next items. It's all a cyclical process, but it's addictive and rewarding. Even better, it enjoyable when you work the system to make something so powerful that enemies are one-shotted by your awesome planning of the best bomb. This is the core of the Atelier series.

Before I get too deep in the game, let's look at the story. It's a simple story of the day-to-day life of Escha Malier and Logix Ficsario, both are alchemists. However, Escha is an old school alchemist (one that fans of the series are familiar with) while Logix, or Logy, is the big city alchemist. The difference is Escha uses a cauldron to make items and Logy thought it was merely old history or even myth that such a means was possible. In the big city, alchemy is more structured and it's possible for anyone with training to do it, while cauldrons require special talent. For both Escha and Logy though they have just joined the R&D department in the frontier town of Colsiet, which makes them government workers. Their only goal is to help the R&D grow back into a successive branch of the government. This means completing regular assignments and making use of alchemy to improve life. However, they both have their own personal dreams, which is the theme of the game, every character has a dream as you'll learn. Escha's dream is see the Unexplored Ruins, which Colsiet was built to explore and Logy wishes to complete the dream of building an airship. Together, they meet new and old friends and will discover the secrets of the land of Dusk.

A little note, in Japan it was called Escha to Logy, which put together is Eschatology, which means the focus on the end of the world and humanity's final days, which is one of the overall themes of the Dusk series. The lands are dying and no one knows how to fix it. Many are searching for ways to fix the dying lands, even some of the characters with Escha and Logy and previously Ayesha.

I normally would wait to get to the customization until later, but it folds into the core of the game. So I'll start with the customization aspect of the game. Customization is the most important aspect and the area where the game gives the player the most control. With the alchemy system, you can craft specific items, but what items used are often up to you to decide. However, the complexity comes down to the fact that all items have different properties, elements and qualities. Escha simplified the systems as did Ayesha from the past games, which I felt actually weakened the alchemy system. Each game progressively seemed to give up more of the control and customization while making a progressively more satisfying combat system. However, the old systems did make it difficult to enter into as a new player because of the complexity available. The important parts still remained, it remains a complex and deeply rewarding system.

The way synthesis works is that most recipes you find will ask for a category of item rather than something specific. This allows the player to pick which works for them and not penalized for not having the one necessary item to craft what you want. Since every item comes with different values, it is important to pick which will grant you what you want. This is where the customization expands out dramatically. Often synthesis items are able to be used in other items. Which is important, since if you want the right properties to your bomb you may need to go through a 5-step crafting process to grab all of the properties needed just to make the best bomb. End game items are often more than 10 steps long just to reach what you need and that's not counting the prep work of getting the right items with the right properties. Even more, many properties have multiple levels to them which if a lv1 and lv 2 version of appears on the item at the end of synthesis will combine into one saving a slot and growing more powerful.

A new part that they added, which I really enjoyed was that Logy brought something new to the table from his city life. While he can't understand how Escha can use a cauldron to synthesis, he has devices that allow him to make weapons and armor. But more importantly, he also has a device that breaks down things out and analyzes it. This is something that I really liked. See in past games the only way to get new recipes was to buy the book with them or find the book in the field. There was simply no other option. But thanks to Logy, when he breaks an item down he is able to understand how it is made thus granting you the recipe and allowing Escha to craft more like it. This can give you recipes you normally wouldn't have until later in the game earlier. Providing a great sense of discovery, plus it can be a great way to find rarer materials when it is broken down.

It is a system that rewards for the effort put in and the planning. Nothing is more satisfying than knowing 30 minutes of planning produced the perfect bomb that now deals 500 damage, slows a target and lowers their defense. It is easy to get lost in the system and even with the simplifications remains fun and enjoyable, and what more is new comer friendly as well.

One of the big changes though which makes the game quite a bit easier, is that since you're working for the government they resupply items used in the field, no charge. In past times, if you used an item it was gone. Most items had multiple uses for before spent, but even the uses would be gone. So it was always important to know when you use items and to have a good stock when going into the field. Now you're free to use with no penalty. One of the parts of the early game lost to time was making old items because you spent them. So suddenly, there is almost too much time available. I always starved for things to do on my first playthrough which never happened in past games. However, the balance came in that all items go into a special inventory you have with limited space and items can take up more than one slot, making it important to decide what you take with you. So it is not possible to over pack yourself like in past games.

Looking at the combat, the other half of the game, it is a lot like Mana Khemia 2. Ayesha was already pushing in that direction and Escha pushed it even further. And I say this as a positive, as Mana Khemia 2, while a side game in the Atelier series, I still believe to be the peak of the combat system for the series. Escha has done it's best to return to that level, but I don't feel that it completely reached the same level, it's close though. Combat allows for 3 active members fighting and 3 support members for a total part of 6 in combat. This is how it is like Mana Khemia 2, it is possible to switch out members on the fly and they provide support actions.

Combat is the standard turn base fair for many JRPGs, but shows turn order of party members and enemies at the top by using cards. So it is very clear to see who is going next and where everyone else lies in the order. This makes it possible to plan out a lot of moves, making combat very strategic. This is one of the best parts brought over from the old PS2 era Gust games. What's more, some player and enemy abilities or items can add free actions to the cards to repeat the same move. So a bomb may return a second time and you can see when it will hit and plan your actions or a healing item is going to return just before a boss' attack so you don't need to heal and can attack instead. It's a great evolution of the simple turn base combat.

The other half also borrowed from Mana Khemia 2 is support actions. When attacking any of the non-attacking party members can jump in to attack immediately after. A support meter fills to allow such actions and any action spends some of the meter, so it is not something that can be spammed. But it is perfect for building damage, as each added combo increases the damage multiplier allowing for more damage and when it is breaks 200% the next support action will turn into a special that deals even greater damage. The same can be done for when enemy attacks allowing you to protect a weakened character with another character shielding them. This is partly where I feel that Mana Khemia 2 did a better job. All of the characters there had different support attacks working on independent meters that could be activated at anytime in combat. Most notably, they had one character able to destroy enemy free actions on the turn gauge, which was unique and expanded the use of the characters in combat not making them all the same. Escha only has things set as single or area target support attacks and specials only have variance in damage with only one character being unique to the point of almost being broken where you quickly learn you always finish with them or you're just wasting the special. None of the other characters really feel unique.

Moving away from that, I approach the unique part of the game. There are two protagonists and so the player will pick at the start which to control. This is where it is like Mana Khemia 2 again. There is a male and female alchemist you pick and you play through the story from their point of view. However, I feel Mana Khemia 2 succeeded in taking full advantage of opportunity more than Escha. There are unique scenes Escha or Logy will have. And you are only privy to the thoughts of the one you control, giving you a little insight on how they view everyone in the party. But the story remains the same. The only main difference gameplay wise is that there are character specific items only available during their story. Escha's items happen to be very powerful and broken compared to Logy, making her the best pick for someone want an easier time on end game bosses. The opportunity was messed on having more scenes where one of the characters is missing and parts of the story are only revealed through their eyes. Something that Mana Khemia 2 played with fully. There would be times you'd arrive in the middle of a conversation where the other protagonist was doing something, but you did not have the full context to the situation. Only playing a second time through their eyes did you know why they were there, making the whole experience of two heroes so much more satisfying. Part of it, is the fact that Escha and Logy are together all the time, so there is never the chance to really be alone most times, while the other game they were in completely different groups only meeting by chance.

The rest of the features of the game are similar, but changed from the past games. Money suddenly is only available through paychecks from the government. It is still possible to earn money by selling items, but you need to craft specifically to make high valued items for that. There is a lot to spend money on as well. So money is often something you'll always be short on. So you have to plan where you spend it.

Speaking of spending money, you can improve the R&D department. The feature feels a lot like the one used in Atelier Meruru, where the player picks things to improve and gains bonuses from it. This is something that I really enjoyed as you had more choices and felt the power of those choices and rarely could you do everything until near the end. You have to pick what you want. The same is for Escha, but it is simply money you're dropping into it. The cost is high and apart from buying recipe books, this is where all of your money goes. Which is funny because beating the game gives it all back to you, rendering money pointless in the new game plus.

Wholesale is completely gone, mostly because of items always come back when you spend them and there is no easy way to make money. The side quests or tasks, no longer give money. They only give candy which you spend on homunculus to duplicate items for you. However, the great thing about them is that you can speed up their work if you give them more candy. Making it even easier to get what you need. They duplicate items exactly, so wholesale is not even needed.

I bring it up near the end, because it is not as important, but I do have to talk about the visuals. Like all Gust games, the visuals will vary from gorgeous to out dated. The focus for them is always on the characters and their familiarity and confidence with the PS3 improves with each game. The cell-shaded characters continue to be the real treat of their games being some of the finest and most detailed work found for such a style. They aren't going for realistic, but closer to anime and they succeed. The environment though remains the weak part of them. It usually fits well into the style of the game, but the characters will always jump out of the screen as the details between the two are very noticeable in places. However, one thing to note with their move to Tecmo Koei's dynasty warriors engine, it seems to fixed their load times. Past games had some load times, nothing bad, but it could be felt. However, there was only a few times an actual loading screen popped during my time and most times it was just a fade to black and return. It surprised me how fast the game ran.

One thing that I do need to bring up though, the translation for the game is one of the worse I've seen for a Gust game. There are numerous spelling errors and just general mistakes made. There was even a point where the completely wrong name was used for completing a task forcing me to search the internet to see if I was missing something only to learn about the mistake. I was never sure about the properties, but it felt like many of them were flipped around with their names not matching their description. The last time it was this bad was Ar Tonelico 2 where they left Japanese in the game.

Now to the last thing, quirkiness. The series is fairly niche, but it was actually the previous games that were more quirky. Oddly enough, things are actually really normal in Escha. There is none of the more fanservice-y side that popped up in the Arland series and nothing really out there happens. Everything is grounded. The character's personalities end up being the only thing that is really quirky and the characters are really solid and enjoyable. Most of the main cast are great and really memorable. Linca continues to be my favorite of the trilogy both being very cute in her outfits and being the female Sousuke Sagara (Full Metal Panic) of the series, all combat and no life skills. She's adorable and entertaining. But this is a series where the characters are the important part of the story and learning about them and seeing their endings are part of why you replay it again and again.

Reason to Play:

I've talked about the Atelier series around here a lot and Gust. They are a favorite of mine, but I also know that it's a niche series and difficult one to get into. Before the Arland series, the Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia games were the most friendly, but neither were accurate examples. They were more combat focused and de-emphasized the joy of crafting. However, Atelier Escha and Logy makes itself more appealing to a broader RPG crowd. It's still going to be time focused and event flag driven, after you get through the crafting, but all aspects have been made so much more forgiving. Completing events is made very easy by notices made on the fast travel menu letting you know there is an event in the area available. As an experienced Atelier player I never was even worried about time. So for new players it will probably feel a little tight, but not so bad that you are rushed. It is the best entry to start and honestly one of the best games in the series taking all things on an average. Other games do some parts better, but this succeeds in making everything solid, even if it is not the best.

I've played all of the Atelier games from Atelier Iris 3 to current and for story Atelier Totori was the best for me, but Escha has made me question if it is still the best story. It feels a lot more epic than past games while still very slice of life and personal. The personal stories found here are very interesting and touching. Totori dramatic quest in search of her lost mother will emotional will probably remain at top, but Escha has some really great payoffs in the story by the time you get to the end. You come away with some answers and characters that seem minor suddenly becoming really important.

Mana Khemia 2 still remains my favorite combat for the series, but Escha has managed after 5 games to finally return the series back to form. Combat is much deeper than earlier PS3 entries and so much more strategic. There is always something rewarding from the bombs you make, but the flexibility and active pacing in battle makes it more engaging. And there are some genuinely challenging bosses in the game even after you make the ultimate gear and bombs, a boss that kicked my butt 5 times before I won.

If you were ever interested in the series, pick Escha as the one to go to first.

Story - 8.5/10 - It's one of the best of the series, there is good payoffs and the personal stories are very enjoyable. Just don't expect a save the world story.
    Combat System - 9/10 - It is one of the better refinements of a turn based combat, it's not the best out there, but for something that could have been really simple it's very active and enjoyable. You'll forget it's turn based sometimes.
    Customization 9.5/10 - There are few games out there that give you so much control and reward you for hard planning and make the results so satisfying when you get that 15,000 damage from the perfect ultimate bomb. You can spend hours easy it in.
    Graphics - 7/10 - The environments are almost like they are out of the PS2, but the characters models are beautiful and the one of the reasons to come. They continue to get better with each game, and load times are nearly non-existent.
    Characters - 9/10 - Linca is one of the reasons I love the Dusk series, the rest of the cast is solid and great, though there are a few that don't hold up as well.
    Uniqueness/Quirkness - 3/10 - The characters are the only thing that makes the game quirky and they're great, but there is nothing else in the game that really is different. It copies successes from past Gust games, just not as successfully.

Overall - 8/10 (Not an average)
    Attached Images Attached Images JRPG Review: Atelier Escha and Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky-ateliereschalogo-jpg 
    Last edited by Andromeda; 03-24-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

The Quiet One JRPG Review: Atelier Escha and Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just an update, I wrote this late last night if you check out the time on the post. So I ended up forgetting a few things and some that I just knew I was going to have to wait on. I wanted to get it in when I was still thinking about it. So I finished up the last touches to it. Screenshots are now provided from my playthrough and a few more points were added to the review, the score is unchanged, but I wanted to talk about a couple more topics. Also cleaned up some mistakes I found.

Hope you enjoyed this! Y's: Memories of Celceta is next!
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner