Thread: Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters?

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters?

Well now you can thanks to some great chap on Newgrounds, and the controls are TIGHT.

Super Mario Crossover

The man who created this is a total legend.
    victoria aut mors

Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Jin's Avatar

Re: Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters?

I stumbled on to this yesterday and it's pretty bitchin. Though Simon Belmont is virtually impossible to use as he plays exactly like he does in Castlevania and therefore can't more forward after he's already jumped.

Until now!

Registered User Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters?

I played this for a bit as well. I only got around to using Link and Megaman, but I'll give the other characters a chance soon.

It was interesting. Even though I only played the two characters so far, you can tell that each had their differences in terms of how they are handled, so it's not just a gimmick to be able to play with other NES characters. One thing I really noticed was that Link couldn't break blocks when he hit them, even when he was powered up (thank goodness he could actually jump on command though, lol).
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries

Bill Rizer and Megaman are my favorites to use thus far; seem to be the easiest to control. Although I think I might do better with a controller in my hand; not used to using the keyboard for video games anymore (or ever, actually; the only kind I could do okay with were rpgs.) Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the controller, but noticed the creator found an easy work around. (I tried it myself and it works great). Just download an app that lets you map a gamepad's keys to keyboard keys and once that's done the Flash game will see the controller's buttons as if they were on the keyboard.

Dodie, I can't test it now as I'm not at a PC, but can't link cut up or down while jumping to break things? I actually found it east playing with him. Oh and Samus was heaps cheap too.
    Last edited by Furore; 04-29-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Damn iPhone autocorrector.
    victoria aut mors

Registered User Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters?

Originally Posted by Silver
    Dodie, I can't test it now as I'm not at a PC, but can't link cut up or down while jumping to break things? I actually found it easy playing with him.
    Yep... You're right. Guess I wasn't paying too much attention to how he worked on the field when it was explained. He can break blocks, but you have to press up (or down) while jumping in order for him to do so. Ah well.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Xanatos's Avatar

Nicely done, I love it. So far I only used Megaman, Link and Bill R. being the most useful, just love his spread fire. Megaman boast shot wasn't noticeably stronger than the regular one, one shoot being the difference. The original music and sounds for every character are also neat, the only negative thing I can come with are the controls, but that's mainly due to my keyboard where Y is next to the X instead of Z.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Death Before Dishonor Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My buddy came accross this and urged me to check it out. Unfortunately I haven't had the time yet. I would do it now, but I am on a mac book. Mac's are awful for playing games on the internet. I plan to check it out the minute that I get home though..

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

The Lone Dagger Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Xithor's Avatar

That was awesome! I really enjoyed playing as Link and Samus even though learning how to play with Samus was a little bit more difficult then the other players. Good find Silver

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

Memento Rhapso Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is by far my favourite interweb game ever now lol
    I made it to world 7-4 without using hacks as a combo of Samus and Bill, they seem easiest to use as Bill can rape and pillage through levels and Samus can take trickier acrobatic levels like Water Worlds and have enough firepoqer to move forward
    Hacks time!
    Spoiler:
    Infinite lives: In the save text document, change the third number to something ridicculously high, I reccomend 99999. This spits out 9993 lives :3
    Full power: To get Fire Flower status without trying, go back into the text document. In it, provided you saved with no one powered up, you should see a string of 32's. Change them to 34's and blammo, you've got an elite team with infinite lives. Enjoy!

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Jin's Avatar

Apparently you can now also play as Ryu from Ninja Gaiden. I don't know if the original link was updated with it or if it's a new link altogether, but I can only assume it would be bad ass.

Until now!

I have a peguin on a stick! ^_^ Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Kooky Spice's Avatar
    Being held hostage by the imaginary people that live in this fictitious reality

That game is so radtastic!! Link and Megaman are the most fun to use IMO.

Lawlz Sephy so Smaht!!

This is where my name comes from for anyone who cares. Btw please don't get the wrong idea. I love Final Fantasy more than any other game series in the whole world.

"Good things don't come to those who wait. Good things come to those who want it bad enough to take it."

Registered User Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3's Avatar
    In a dark room to prevent glare, Auckland, New Zealnad

yeah i do want to play as them, but that's not actually that hard to do. . .
    you just hack the sprites, and then patch them with your own
    heaps of people do that

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of
    Power, the world will know peace.
    ~Jimmy Hendrix~

Thanks to Kilala for my Avataar and Signature

Blog Entries

Did you play the game he linked to? The guy made the game so that each character's gameplay was the same as it was in his or her respective game (although Link got the downward thrust from his second game, which I don't remember him having in the side scrolling parts of his first game...He could jump in those parts though, right?) But yeah; he did a little more work than just changing the sprites. I think it said it took him several months to do, in fact. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Memento Rhapso Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    Did you play the game he linked to? The guy made the game so that each character's gameplay was the same as it was in his or her respective game (although Link got the downward thrust from his second game, which I don't remember him having in the side scrolling parts of his first game...He could jump in those parts though, right?) But yeah; he did a little more work than just changing the sprites. I think it said it took him several months to do, in fact. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    Sorry to be knit-picky, but the downward/upward slash is taking advantage of the original Zelda environment; The player could move North East South West and slash in every direction. So, he took the animation of a south-pointed slash and put it in lol

SPOILER!!:

Don't click this.

Blog Entries

I suppose that's true. Although he plays more like the Link from the second game, so I don't know why he decided to use the first Link's sprite. I suppose it's because a lot of people didn't like the second game because it was a side-scroller/too hard. It seriously gets too much flack for being different. Oh well. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Registered User Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? Satrus's Avatar

I've played before its hard to beat it when your not use to playing as those people in that word

Blog Entries

Oh, I don't think anyone cares, but the update has come out for it. It's pretty good, new controls, difficulty settings, and the new character is decent. He's a little bit over kill, but he's hard to use so it balances out. The downside, if you use a tampered save script, the controls get flipped D: the creator claims there are cheats in this one, but no one has posted any.

SPOILER!!:

Don't click this.

The Brave Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters?

Arrow Re: Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters?

I have played this neat game for a while, and I have to say that the creator has recreated the original Super Mario Bros. game faithfully. I wonder what would happen if you play it on the Wii.

Certified tech, come at me! Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't know until today I could now be Ryu Hayabusa in that game. That is really sweet! DDD Hes one of my favorite 8-bit characters in the NES era and apparently the other characters got upgraded too. Simon has better jumping, Samus can now crouch and I saw that Mega Man has the R. Coil ability from the trailer but I don't know how to get that in-game.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabin Rene Figaro View Post
    I didn't know until today I could now be Ryu Hayabusa in that game. That is really sweet! DDD Hes one of my favorite 8-bit characters in the NES era and apparently the other characters got upgraded too. Simon has better jumping, Samus can now crouch and I saw that Mega Man has the R. Coil ability from the trailer but I don't know how to get that in-game.
    It kinda saddened me lol I got all used to the old format, now there's CHANGE D:<
    They messed with Simon's jumping? But now it won't be as accurate to Castlevania! FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Oh well, still a great game lol

*Nvm on all the above raging, game got ten times better lol the options to set the Simon jump and Samus crouch is there! Glee! Plus the options and other interfaces are much more user friendly.
    Last edited by Rhaps; 07-03-2010 at 11:57 AM.

SPOILER!!:

Don't click this.

Certified tech, come at me! Ever want to play Super Mario Bros. as Link, Samus or other NES characters? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RhapsoBlarg View Post
    *Nvm on all the above raging, game got ten times better lol the options to set the Simon jump and Samus crouch is there! Glee! Plus the options and other interfaces are much more user friendly.
    See? It was a nice revamp to the crossover. You gotta try it first before you make comments on it lol.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabin Rene Figaro View Post
    See? It was a nice revamp to the crossover. You gotta try it first before you make comments on it lol.
    Oy, I did try it, just not the options section lol

SPOILER!!:

Don't click this.