Thread: DS Lite vs. DSi

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

DS Lite vs. DSi

So my DS broke recently. I can't tell if it's the fact that I dropped it twice many, many months ago or if it's just plain over use, but one day it just decided to snap and crack apart near the R button, and now the top screen only works if I hold it at a certain angle! So yeah, I'm thinking I may be getting a new one sooner or later.

The question is, what do I get now? A DS Lite or a DSi? Price point alone points me at the Lite. Even when comparing features, I really love my slightly superior battery life and GBA port. But then, the DSi has a bigger and brighter screen, a camera game thing, and downloadable content. Only that it's about $40 more. If I can't find the Lite on sale anyway. A few days ago it was $100 at Target and something's bound to crop up again.

There are also all those cool limited edition versions and so forth. So yeah, whatever!

Anyone have experiences with the DSi? Or have owned both? Tips? Things? Anything's appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Ellipsis DS Lite vs. DSi Meigumi's Avatar
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    A friend of mine has the same problem! His DS- it was blue, and it broke somewhere on the R button and whenever he moves it, it changes color!

A DSi can take pictures and record sound. You can edit pictures and play around with the sound, plus you can hold more data!

But, there is no Gameboy Pak Slot.

That's all I know right now....Sorry if I wasn't any help, kupo.
    .....And I also stole that cupcake.

TFF Family~:

Ice-cream loving brother Fate
    The great benevolent dark lord Elyon Demidias
    Lovable doll ViviMasterMage
    Soul Stealing, Chaos-loving, Pom-pom eating older brother Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    The Awesome and Dashing Thief, ethan
    The Stealthy Swordsman of Poetic Power, genome's blade

Boredness rules us all DS Lite vs. DSi Midnight Panda's Avatar
    i still have the retro bulky ds (love the classics) but i am getting a dsi. there is no gba port or anything but u get sd cards and get a camera and mp3 player and a game system for 40$ more. im getting it. hope i helped
    Been gone a long while but im back now and not as annoying. promise

THANKS TO ANDROMEDA

A crappy camera/MP3 player*

The only reason I can see to get a DSi is the potential that comes with DSi ware and the hope that the VC eventually makes its way over to the hand held. But so far, I'm not seeing this. DSi ware has been utter crap so far, and NoA seems to be reducing the amount of push behind the VC in favour of Wii/DSi ware.

Besides, no GBA port = no thanks.

Until now!

Finding this place a little dull... DS Lite vs. DSi xTidus's Avatar
    If you are smart you will get the Normal DS as we all know there is no GB slot! Which means no FFV That and you can't run R4 cars on them.(You can play music and have pics on the R4 btw.)

xTidus: "What are you doing?"
    ViviMasterMage: "I'm eating your hair... Why?"
    xTidus: "You have problems..."
    ViviMasterMage: "You smell nice!...I do have problems!"
    Both: *giggles*

Registered User DS Lite vs. DSi
    For right now, I would have to say go ahead and forego the thought of buying a DSi, and just get a new DS lite. My niece has the DSi and I played with it for a bit. The picture editing and voice changer was kind of neat to play with for a few minutes, but only for a few minutes. Like people say, there is no slot to play your GB games, so that right there turned me off about getting one.

Ultimately, the choice is yours, but were I you, I would just get a new DS lite.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Born Again Atheist DS Lite vs. DSi Sarah's Avatar
    It sounds to me like the backlight on the upper LCD either stopped working or the connection was loosened/broken. It might be fixable.

I would go with the DS Lite. Gameboy port makes for a much larger game catalog. Wait until there are more worthwhile games specifically for use with the DSi.
    Why the hell is everyone's sig so long? Be polite and use a freakin' spoiler tag!:
    Bring back Pete for S-Mod!
    Down with Word Games! Eradicate post counts! One liners are valid responses, too!

A Plain Old Derp DS Lite vs. DSi Padraic's Avatar
    I think you should get a retro DS because they are more durable so if you're someone who'll use it a lot get that one... but if you're the kind of person who plays a fair amount but mainly in dark places (basement dwellers thats you) get the DS lite because the best it can do is adjust the light it can't even turn off the light. It isn't even that durable... the dsi is more for if you play little and with friends because it doesn't have a GBA port but its got a camera and an mp3 player therefore making it more of a thing you'd use with friends.

#LOCKE4GOD DS Lite vs. DSi Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorta depends on whether you have any GBA games that you play. I've only got KH: CoM and FFTA, but I've also got a GBA (so I can play original Pokemon). Ergo, I don't need a DS/DS Lite, but a DSi could be useful.

ESPECIALLY for FFIII Mognet. My wifi doesn't work with DS/DS Lite, but it would with a DSi. If my current DS Lite conks it, I'm getting a DSi on that basis, and on the fact that I've got a working GBA.

Don't factor cost, $40 is not much when there are some major differences.

ang3lmak3r
    Still got my onyx DS lite and i love it. I cant see goin out and buyin a DSi for a couple reasons.

1. Lettin my GBA catalogue go to waste. I have close to 50 GBA game and just cant see myself lettin them go dusty

2. I have a iphone 3g . Ihave a app thats lets me do the exact same thing with my pics that the DSi does and i have mp3s on it....so thats not a seller for me

although if you dont have a iphone or a decent GBA catalogue..id say go ahead and drop the extra $$$. Im just sayin not worth it to me personally

Boredness rules us all DS Lite vs. DSi Midnight Panda's Avatar
    good thinking. i agree with angl3r. i neverthought of it that way
    Been gone a long while but im back now and not as annoying. promise

THANKS TO ANDROMEDA

Katy is dead. She died a while ago. DS Lite vs. DSi KatytheHedgehog's Avatar
    Right now... somewhere in the middle of Spira
    DSi is just a dear remake of the DSlite..... DSlite is more cheaper to get and I have always like them... and when I saw the DSi advert I hated it..... I have never liked it when a console is remade to try to be better... so DSlite for me
    Heaven & hell in one immortal demon hedgehog warrior

ang3lmak3r
    so u dont like any system after the first gen? every console is remade to be better then the 1 b4 it.. ps2 better then ps1.... and if ur talkin them(dslite and dsi)as refering in the same sense of the ps2 and the slim ps2 (same gen different looks) thats a moot point here because the ds lite and dsi are two different generations.... thats like sayin you dnt like ps3s cuz there just remade to be better then the ps2.... dsi and the lite just have (with minor differences) the same shell. but they are different generations and so forth not a remake. but i do agree with you bout dslite for me....
    Last edited by ang3lmak3r; 08-24-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Registered User DS Lite vs. DSi smithhanson's Avatar
    I don't have a DSi, but I do have a DS, and I find the GBA port useful and I don't really see a need for the camera and MP3 (I have an HTC Touch phone, so I just use that instead) but if you don't see a need for the GBA port and you do not have the camera and MP3, then it would probably be a good idea to get a DSi.

farting on your mom DS Lite vs. DSi TheAnitaAttack's Avatar
    I have a Black Ds and i've never dropped it or anything but the mic doesn't work anymore.