Class Chronicles
The Thief – the lovable scoundrels

Welcome to Class Chronicles, your source to the different professions around the worlds of Final Fantasy!!

This edition is dedicated an oft-misunderstood profession: the Thief. As you all know, stealing is bad. Hey, don’t blame me; blame the authorities trying to protect your savings!! But sometimes, authorities seek to protect their own savings, and increase them with the savings of the people. And who else than a Thief to serve as a balance between the rich and the poor? Certainly, a thief that steals from a thief must be a hero. Besides, they know a lot about cities; they know where to hide, where to live, where to hang out and laugh at the guards trying to look at them.

So…how Thieves, normally a city profession (if it can be called a profession at all…), became a heroic profession? Read on.

History of the Thief…profession?

Since the dawn of civilization, the annals of history have mentioned Thieves. The earliest records of Thieves exist, of course, in recovered royal edicts detailing the rewards given to those citizens who aided in the capture of such brigands. Of course, the Thief has been called by such an astonishing amount of names, they are some of the best known individuals around. Esteemed scholar Herrik Bordamson has provided a romantic theory, oft debated by his peers including such notables as Alazlam Durai, that the Thief came into being as a result of the construction of the first cities; an inevitable result of altering the nature of the world. According to Bordamson, Thieves are the first slivers of Chaos in the enforced Order that civilization brought to the world. Others theorize that such “scum” (not my words, noble readers) are the result of political injustices, or the natural result of civilization extended to the barbaric lands.

Perhaps the most bizarre occurrence happened in the First World, with the existence of the first organized group of Thieves. The annals state that the first guild of Thieves began in the city of Pravoka, to which the locals claimed brought famine and poverty to the land; interesting to point is that the first guild of Thieves began around the times when the Four Fiends roamed the land, specifically in the age of the Fiend of Earth, Lich. The first written evidence of a particular Fighter appears at the libraries of Corneria, whose official documents around the age of His Royal Majesty Steve I speak of a group of “Warriors of Light”, amongst which a Thief seems to be included. Although the annals are not clear, it was stated that the Thief amongst them was different from the other warriors, hinting at the possibility of an Elf amongst the party. Earlier records speak of an ancient clan of Ninjas, who held abilities of equal regard to Thieves, and that may have been originally a group of Thieves; if the records are right, then Thieves are the forefathers of other professions that delve in the shadows, such as the Assassins. The fact that such guilds are often kept in secrecy, to our misfortune, seems to attest that.

More information about the lore of Thieves spreads around the Twelve Worlds, particularly upon the Third World, where Thieves fell into disdain and returned to emerge during the age of the Warriors of Light, the fabled Onion Knights. Although our efforts were concise to provide complete information, we are unable to find records about Thieves in the second world; if our information is correct, Thieves were exterminated during the rise of power of the Emperor of Palamecia, and since then no brigand has ascended to a position of importance. The next worlds hold two scoundrels of legendary skill: one is the werewolf pickpocket Lone Wolf, whose abilities transcended the worlds; annals speak of Lone Wolf in both the Fifth World and the World of Balance. The World of Balance holds another brave warrior who holds an uncanny similitude to the Thief; famed adventurer Locke Cole, one of the brave Returners who saved the world against the ravages of the Gestahlian Empire and the rise in power of one of its former members, Kefka Palazzo. As well, our investigations hinted at a secret guild of Thieves hidden within the walls of Eblan Castle. The trend between the Thieves and the mysterious Ninja continues at the Planet, home of the famed Materia Hunter and supposed heir apparent to the ruling council of Wutai, Yuffie Kisaragi. The world of Gaia holds another famous hero Thief, whose charms and skill earned him a place in history: Zidane Tribal, famous actor-Thief of the renowned Tantalus troupe (see our interview for more information). The land of Spira holds the equivalent of a Thieves Guild within the mysterious Al Bhed, whose knowledge of machinery delved into the art of sabotage.

Finding a guild of Thieves is hard, dear reader, but our efforts have been successful (and costly, to our disdain). Diverse places such as Vana’diel, Ivalice, Spira, the Planet and the Fourth World hold well-standing guilds of Thieves. Of particular regard is the astounding number of organized groups in Ivalice during the Age of Miracles and the era of the War of the Lions, where numerous bands such as the Corpse Brigade emerged to defy the rule of nobles, or to make history upon the world. Records state of Sky Pirates, who roamed the lands in airships to make daring thefts, as the histories of notable Sky Pirates Balthier and Vaan state. Detailed and documented information exists confirming the deeds of these daring adventurers, a good reason why Thieves have grown in number nowadays (and so the headaches of nobles and forces of Order around the Worlds).

As with the Fighter (exposed in our first article), leading experts place the Thief as the “father” of several professions, who find a common denominator in the skills of this profession. Most notable are the professions of the Ninja and Assassin, professions that show the importance of cultural influence upon a profession. A few scholars also state that the Ranger also emerged from the ranks of the Thief, but few leads confirm said story. Pirates and Vikings are also heirs of the Thief legacy, blending the arts of skullduggery and legerdemain with the power of a Fighter’s arm and the embrace of the seas. Ivalice held during a time another fitting heir to the legacy of Thieves with the Juggler, whose arts have dwindled since the age of Miracles.

The qualities of Thieves

To become a Thief implies to have nerves of steel. It is almost a requisite, since a Thief is certainly no task for the coward. Prospective Thieves should be physically fit, specifically in the area of agility; Thieves should be swift runners and swift of hand, lest they be captured by the forces of Order. The novice Thief oft begins as a pick-pocket, stealing loose coins and trinkets from weary and unwary bystanders, rising in skill and notoriety until it “pulls off the big one”: a daring task that places the Thief in mouth of each citizen. Only then, a local guild may offer its membership, or so I am told. A rumor spoken to this journalist speaks that thieves are recruited and protected by the guildsmen even before they plan their greatest heist, lest they be silenced by their own peers. Gods know what the act of silence may be, but the trembling voice of our contact implies it is a terrible event.

Thieves seek for the light cloth and the light weapon, favoring such notables as the dagger, the cutlass, the scimitar and the rapier. Some use the small and light buckler as a defensive measure, but successful Thieves rarely use said article, saying it “interferes with their skill”. Although they favor clothing made of tough leather, Thieves may indulge at times in occasional sturdier armor, such as chain-linked shirts and iron-plated brigandines; however, they prefer the clothing that holds the greatest amount of pockets.

According to scholar Bordamson, the Thief has grown in popularity by a surprising number of reasons. In his words: “[…] the reason why Thieves have grown in popularity and remain popular despite the ages seems to be the value of their art of theft, coupled with legend and lore. People seem to find it irresistible to fool the authorities as Tribal or the Phantom Thief, Zero does. People wish to touch, to feel, the incredible artifacts stolen by Cole or Lord Geraldine; the legendary weapons, the items of great power, and even the powers over life and death. Such temptation is hard to resist when the only thing most of these people know is poverty and despair; it is not unusual then, that Thieves become more than just petty criminals, but hunters of dreams. In that sense, people become Thieves because they are driven by a desire to abandon the empty life of poverty and make a name of their own.”

The arts of the Thief have evolved over the years. The first Thieves were skilled at escaping when others couldn’t, and their talent was on aiding their allies to escape. Time after, some Thieves used their arts of theft, their namesake, against those monsters still holding the “loot” of fallen heroes. More modern Thieves, such as those of the Vana’diel Thieves’ Guild, use the element of surprise and have adapted artful strikes to their arsenal, making Thieves dangerous individuals. One inevitable evolution of the legerdemain discipline was the art of striking an enemy to distract them and pilfer an item or coins while at it; this tactic, called “mugging”, not only served as a namesake but also as a test of an experienced Thief.

Interview

In this occasion, we are honored to have interviewed a famous hero of the Worlds. Known through his land for his acts at the famed troupe Tantalus, but also for being the eternal lover of lady Garnet til Alexandros, none most fitting could honor us with this interview. While we would have certainly wished to have more people to speak to, it was difficult to find the fabled adventurer Locke Cole, or the location of the legendary Phantom Thief, Zero. Nonetheless, we the Chocobo Digest feel honored to interview the hero of Gaia, ser Zidane Tribal.

Chocobo Digest: Pray tell us, what made you consider becoming a Thief?
Zidane Tribal: Hmm? Oh...I guess it happened about the time that I joined Tantalus. I picked it up from the guys and found that it suited me.

CD: I assume this question has been already answered, but: how did you joined Tantalus? Were you already a Thief by that time, or did your time at Tantalus taught you the skills?
Zidane: No, I was just an orphan searching for something that point. And I ended up meeting the leader of the gang by accident. He saw me starving staring at the food and bought me some bread. He brought me back to his hideout and it just sort of happened.

CD: What do you consider it is the most important thing for a Thief to have?
Zidane: Being good with the ladies helps. Being a fast talker and light on your feet.

CD: Had you the chance, what other profession would you have considered?
Zidane: I like what I'm doing now, but if I had to change. Piloting an airship is enjoying having the skies in front of you and nothing else. It is nice and free up there.

CD: What do you think of fellow rogues such as Locke Cole, Lord Edward "Edge" Geraldine, or the Phantom Thief Zero?
Zidane: Who are they?

CD: Any particular tale you wish to tell us of your early days as a Thief? One you particularly like?
Zidane: Well there was this one time when I had to kidnap a princess...on second thought that would take too long.

CD: What has been the most daring theft of yours? What has been the artifact or item that has caught your attention such that you just had to steal it?
Zidane: It would have to be when I stole that priceless jewel ring from that noble in Treno. He had a complex alarm system and strong bodyguards. But they were no match for me.

CD: Finally, for all of our readers and prospective Thieves: tell us why they should consider becoming a Thief and not, say, a Knight or Mage?
Zidane: Knights are rusty tin cans that run around tripping. That's pretty embarrassing, sounds like a good enough reason to me not to be one.

Curiosities about Thieves

·--Did you know that most of the heroic Thieves have rarely fallen into prison? In the few annals we’ve recollected related to prison terms, there are no records about some of the most daring Thieves around. One that does appear many times, however, is Lone Wolf the werewolf thief; ironically, and according to trustful sources, the ruler of the land that usually captures him (the country of Figaro) is friend of one of the heroic Thieves.

--In a most recent poll done to the people, the item or items that people often believe Thieves steal is Gil, either spare or in valuables such as gems and ingots. However, an informal poll done to actual Thieves states the contrary: the most popular stolen item, according to them, are Potions, closely followed by Antidotes and Echo Grass.

--Did you know that Thieves can use other weapons aside from their trusty daggers? We’ve mentioned they can use some swords, such as scimitars and rapiers, but there’s a weapon developed in Gaia known as the two-bladed sword. Because of the extended use by hero Thief Zidane Tribal, these weapons have been called “Thieves’ Swords”.

--Did you know that the Thief is one of the so-called “legendary professions”? This is because each of these professions has been found in virtually all worlds, in one way or another.

--Did you know that the profession of a Thief is tied to the Crystal of Wind? Official historical documents from Sasune Castle in the Third World and Tycoon Castle on the Fifth World state that the first Thieves sealed their knowledge upon the Wind Crystal, as local legends state that “when the Crystals are endangered, the Wind Crystal will be the first to react.” These documents were discovered while researching the stories of the legendary heroes.

--Did you know that the Thief is also known as one of the “four instrumental classes”? Lore regained from different points in the Multiverse state that the Thief, along the Fighter, the White Mage and the Black Mage form part of virtually all worlds. This is drawn from the growing theory about the “Instrumental Classes”, which states the function of the Thief as a “skill monkey”, or the profession that deals with guiding the heroes through dangers and hazards such as traps, as well as being the charismatic “face” or speaker of the party. With their abilities spread throughout a series of worlds, it is understandable where this stereotype comes from.

--Did you know that, in a recent poll from the famous magazine, the Bonga Bugle, the ability of Thieves to steal ranks amongst the top ten preferred abilities amongst adventurers? The other nine, in comparison, are: White Magic, Black Magic, Dual Wield, Barrage (also known as Rapid Shot), Summoning Magic, Throw, Blue Magic, Red Magic and Doublecast.

We expect that the following information helps prospective adventurers to find the profession that suits their needs. Next time on “Class Chronicles”, we will study closely the “profession” of Monk, and how the ascetics and hermits have saved the outer world with their inner strength.
Until next time!!