Thread: upgrading weapons?

upgrading weapons?

So I got vanille's nirvana and I'm trying to upgrade it to lvl 100 so I can dismantle it to get 3 trapezoids or whatever you call it. What is the best way to upgrade it to lvl 100? And does it have to be at lvl 100 'cause I just dismantled it at like lvl 36 and it didnt give me 3 traps. I use 36 of vibrant ooze to get the double bonus then use 99 perfect conductor but it's taking pretty long and it's costly. Gotta spent like 160,000 gills for it and it only goes up to lvl 35 to like 42.Is there a faster way?

Let's make it rain. upgrading weapons? Jonathanx221's Avatar

Re: upgrading weapons?

Once you have one Trapezohedron, you can turn that one into three.

To do this, pick up a Mistilteinn, one of Vanille's weapons, buyable from
    Plautus's Workshop for 11,000 gil. Along with this, you will need the
    following materials:

159 Sturdy Bone \
    89 Superconductor \ Total gil:
    2 Particle Accelerator / 1,507,400 gil
    28 Ultracompact Reactor /

1 Scarletite - (bought for 100,000 gil from "The Motherlode", or farmed
    from enemies. See "Obtaining Catalysts" section.)
    1 Trapezohedron

Now, use the following items to upgrade the Mistilteinn in this exact
    order (for best cost effectiveness)

36 x Sturdy Bone
    50 x Superconductor

1 x Scarletite

36 x Sturdy Bone
    2 x Ultracompact Reactor
    15 x Sturdy Bone
    27 x Superconductor

1 x Trapezohedron

36 x Sturdy Bone
    26 x Ultracompact Reactor
    36 x Sturdy Bone
    2 x Particle Accelerator
    12 x Superconductor

The weapon should now be a maxed out Nirvana. Once you dismantle this, you
    will receive:

71 x Monstrous Fang
    60 x Entrancing Tail
    36 x Moonblossom Seed
    10 x Tear of Woe
    3 x Trapezohedron

Taken from Gamefaqs =] Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanx221 View Post
    Once you have one Trapezohedron, you can turn that one into three.

To do this, pick up a Mistilteinn, one of Vanille's weapons, buyable from
    Plautus's Workshop for 11,000 gil. Along with this, you will need the
    following materials:

159 Sturdy Bone \
    89 Superconductor \ Total gil:
    2 Particle Accelerator / 1,507,400 gil
    28 Ultracompact Reactor /

1 Scarletite - (bought for 100,000 gil from "The Motherlode", or farmed
    from enemies. See "Obtaining Catalysts" section.)
    1 Trapezohedron

Now, use the following items to upgrade the Mistilteinn in this exact
    order (for best cost effectiveness)

36 x Sturdy Bone
    50 x Superconductor

1 x Scarletite

36 x Sturdy Bone
    2 x Ultracompact Reactor
    15 x Sturdy Bone
    27 x Superconductor

1 x Trapezohedron

36 x Sturdy Bone
    26 x Ultracompact Reactor
    36 x Sturdy Bone
    2 x Particle Accelerator
    12 x Superconductor

The weapon should now be a maxed out Nirvana. Once you dismantle this, you
    will receive:

71 x Monstrous Fang
    60 x Entrancing Tail
    36 x Moonblossom Seed
    10 x Tear of Woe
    3 x Trapezohedron

Taken from Gamefaqs =] Hope this helps.
    thx but omfg...i wasted all that gill upgrading the other crap. Gosh..I wasted so much money.

So will it be possible to upgrade other characters' weapons as well using this same method as Vanille's?

Blog Entries

If you mean the one quoted from GameFaqs, you can use the same basic method with Sturdy Bones, Particle Accelerators, Ultracompact Reactors and Superconductors. The exact amount of each you'll need for full upgrades will vary from weapon to weapon. Each item/accessory/weapon has an item grade that determines how much exp it needs to level up.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

The Lone Dagger upgrading weapons? Xithor's Avatar

I was using the same strategy that Johnathan was telling you to do to upgrade the Nirvana all the way to * and then dismantle it to get 3 Trapezhedron's so I equipped Light with a Connoissuer Catalog which increases the rate of rare drops and Hope had a Survivor Catalog which increases the rate of normal drops. Both of them only take like one level to be maxed out so I did that. Turns out that I started getting more Trapezhedron's then Platinum Ingots, currently my ratio is 8 Traps : 5 Ingots which was a little frustrating since my Nirvana was already at like lvl 91 when I started getting all the Traps which simply means I blew like 1.3 million from the beginning of the game plus all those ingots to increase the weapon when I got all the Traps I needed simply from fighting the Adamantoise and winning with 5 star ratings. If you need a strategy for beating the Adamantoise let me know and I'll help you out there too.

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

GranFran upgrading weapons? GranFran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart View Post
    If you mean the one quoted from GameFaqs, you can use the same basic method with Sturdy Bones, Particle Accelerators, Ultracompact Reactors and Superconductors. The exact amount of each you'll need for full upgrades will vary from weapon to weapon. Each item/accessory/weapon has an item grade that determines how much exp it needs to level up.

~DragonHeart~
    So, is it basically okay to sell off all the items you've accumluated with the exception of those you've mentioned that you use to upgrade your weapon? Because I'm really low on gil, have not started to upgrade my weapons and am totally confused by all the items I've picked up along the way as to which is best to keep and which is best to sell..

Also, what about all these weapons I'm not using? Are any safe to get rid of for the gil or should I upgrade everyone that I get along the way?

I know there are supposed to be ways of 'gil farming' later on in the game but right now, I'm still using my basic weapons and only have 1500 gil and I'm in the Mah'habara just running back and forth trying to build up CP..

Oh, and one other question, can you use different items to bring the multiplier up? I mean say I have 10 sturdy bones, can I use them then use 4 wicked fangs and 10 scaled wings to make my bonus or does it have to be done with 24 or 36 sturdy bones only and then add the mechanical components to reach the next level up?
    Last edited by GranFran; 04-16-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GranFran View Post
    So, is it basically okay to sell off all the items you've accumluated with the exception of those you've mentioned that you use to upgrade your weapon? Because I'm really low on gil, have not started to upgrade my weapons and am totally confused by all the items I've picked up along the way as to which is best to keep and which is best to sell..
    Pretty much you can sell almost all your components that you come across but you wanna hang onto things that give good multiplier effects (like the Sturdy Bones everyone keeps mentioning) and the components that give high experience like Ultracompact Reactors and Superconductors. Just go into the upgrade menu to see which components give what EXP and make decisions to sell them based on that.

Also, what about all these weapons I'm not using? Are any safe to get rid of for the gil or should I upgrade everyone that I get along the way?

I know there are supposed to be ways of 'gil farming' later on in the game but right now, I'm still using my basic weapons and only have 1500 gil and I'm in the Mah'habara just running back and forth trying to build up CP..
    I would recommend just holding on to all the weapons that you receive and count on solely components for getting gil, you're gonna spend the majority of the gil on Phoenix Downs anyways and you can't properly upgrade weapons until you can farm enemies like Adamantortoises for Platinum Ingots and Traps. So hold on to what you get and don't worrying about until you start taking down Adamantortoises.

Oh, and one other question, can you use different items to bring the multiplier up? I mean say I have 10 sturdy bones, can I use them then use 4 wicked fangs and 10 scaled wings to make my bonus or does it have to be done with 24 or 36 sturdy bones only and then add the mechanical components to reach the next level up?
    You can definitely add other things to help get the multiplier up but the Sturdy Bones are the most cost-efficient and that's why everyone is using them. So you first wanna add 36 Sturdy Bones to get the best multiplier effect of x3 and then from there add your mechanical components that give great EXP to upgrade your weapons in bunches.

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away

Quote Originally Posted by Xithor View Post
    Pretty much you can sell almost all your components that you come across but you wanna hang onto things that give good multiplier effects (like the Sturdy Bones everyone keeps mentioning) and the components that give high experience like Ultracompact Reactors and Superconductors. Just go into the upgrade menu to see which components give what EXP and make decisions to sell them based on that.

I would recommend just holding on to all the weapons that you receive and count on solely components for getting gil, you're gonna spend the majority of the gil on Phoenix Downs anyways and you can't properly upgrade weapons until you can farm enemies like Adamantortoises for Platinum Ingots and Traps. So hold on to what you get and don't worrying about until you start taking down Adamantortoises.

You can definitely add other things to help get the multiplier up but the Sturdy Bones are the most cost-efficient and that's why everyone is using them. So you first wanna add 36 Sturdy Bones to get the best multiplier effect of x3 and then from there add your mechanical components that give great EXP to upgrade your weapons in bunches.
    Ok, hold on to all weapons, sell everything that doesn't give a decent multiplier bonus.. Whew, why'd they have to make it so complicated?
    Thanks, hon, I will do what you say.. I just took down those two huge beasts at the beginning of the cave (with Odin's help) and can't believe they only gave me 6000 cp and one lousy Monster Tooth.. They nearly made mince meat out of me..

Thanks again, you've been a big help, I'll probably be back with more questions like these before long..

Here's one more thing that could help you out:

Multiplier Value Threshold (how much each multiplier must give for each EXP bonus)
    Multiplier Value: EXP Bonus
    0-50: x1
    51-100: x1.25
    101-200: x1.5
    201-250: x1.75
    251-500: x2
    501+: x3

So those are for Organic Compounds that can add to your Bonus not Mechanical ones. Here are the best Organic compounds to use to upgrade:

Multiplier Best Shop Components
    Component: Multiplier Value: Buy Price

Sturdy Bone: +14: 80
    Barbed Tail: +14: 80
    Vibrant Ooze: +14: 80
    Otherworldly Bone: +21: 150
    Diabolic Bone: +21: 150
    Transparent Ooze: +21: 150

EXP Best Components
    Component: Average EXP: Buy Price

Ultracompact Reactor: 40,000 EXP: 50,000 gil
    Supercharger: 774 EXP: 1,500 gil
    Particle Accelerator: 4,800 EXP: 10,000 gil
    Turboprop: 768 EXP: 1,600 gil
    Superconductor: 400 EXP: 840 gil
    Perfect Conductor: 751 EXP: 1,600 gil
    Chobham Armor: 460 EXP: 1,000 gil
    Bomb Core: 551 EXP: 1,200 gil
    Tesla Turbine: 823 EXP: 1,800 gil

Hope that helps out a little more.
    Last edited by Xithor; 04-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away

Here's one more thing that could help you out:

Multiplier Value Threshold (how much each multiplier must give for each EXP bonus)
    Multiplier Value: EXP Bonus
    0-50: x1
    51-100: x1.25
    101-200: x1.5
    201-250: x1.75
    251-500: x2
    501+: x3

So those are for Organic Compounds that can add to your Bonus not Mechanical ones. Here are the best Organic compounds to use to upgrade:

Multiplier Best Shop Components
    Component: Multiplier Value: Buy Price

Sturdy Bone: +14: 80
    Barbed Tail: +14: 80
    Vibrant Ooze: +14: 80
    Otherworldly Bone: +21: 150
    Diabolic Bone: +21: 150
    Transparent Ooze: +21: 150

EXP Best Components
    Component: Average EXP: Buy Price

Ultracompact Reactor: 40,000 EXP: 50,000 gil
    Supercharger: 774 EXP: 1,500 gil
    Particle Accelerator: 4,800 EXP: 10,000 gil
    Turboprop: 768 EXP: 1,600 gil
    Superconductor: 400 EXP: 840 gil
    Perfect Conductor: 751 EXP: 1,600 gil
    Chobham Armor: 460 EXP: 1,000 gil
    Bomb Core: 551 EXP: 1,200 gil
    Tesla Turbine: 823 EXP: 1,800 gil

Hope that helps out a little more.
    Yes, it sure does, hon.. I printed it out to have right close.. To tell you the truth I just reset my game back to almost the beginning.. I realized one of the reasons I was just getting clobbered all the time was that I had simply rushed through the game faster then I should have.. It's a bad habit of mine that has caused me a lot of grief with so many games.. I become so involved with the story that I can't wait to see it unfold, so I get to a certain point and find I can't really go on because I can't beat the big boys..

In this case Hecatoncheir stopped me dead in my tracks and try though I might, there was just no winning the battle.. Heck, Vanille only has like 1200 HP and even with the aid of a boost accessory there was no defeating that guy..

I do the same thing in all FF games and I should know better but I'm so eager to see what's just around the corner that I forget to spend the time to level up and get stronger.. So, now I'm back on chapter 4 and I just whipped Odin in record time because I've taken the time to level up Hope and Lightening.. Last time he whipped me 5 times before I got him..

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back for more advice soon, so don't go anywhere, hear?

Haha I know what you mean but I've always seemed to enjoy taking breaks from the story to work on my characters and develop them a little bit. Happy to help, I'll be around haha not going anywhere anytime soon

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away

Haha I know what you mean but I've always seemed to enjoy taking breaks from the story to work on my characters and develop them a little bit. Happy to help, I'll be around haha not going anywhere anytime soon
    Thanks for the help hon, and I REALLY loved your video.. Excellent job!

Thank you very much, always like getting feedback about my videos/artwork =)

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away