View Poll Results: Which do you prefer CTB or RTB?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • CTB (Conditional Turn Based

3 42.86%
  • RTB (Real-Time Based)

4 57.14%

Thread: What do you prefer RTB or CTB?

Paradigm Shift What do you prefer RTB or CTB? FFTheBest's Avatar

Cool What do you prefer RTB or CTB?

Which battle system do you prefer?

RTB - Real-Time Based

OR

CTB - Conditional Turn Based

If you don't understand, the RTB Battle System features in:

Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Final Fantasy XI Online
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIII

The CTB battle system features in:
    Final Fantasy I
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy X

I'm not sure if RTB features in V and VI, but I think it does, tell me if I'm wrong and I'll correct it.

Lord Deity of Harmony What do you prefer RTB or CTB? Elyon Seraphim's Avatar
    So much better... still i vote for CTB... the game FFXIII should be so much better if it had been an CTB... but its somekind of Realtime...
    My Reaction of People That Points The Obvious

This is my Daily Day in 2Fort
    My TFF Family:
    Still working on rewamping this, Just give a shout if you wanna join!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth What do you prefer RTB or CTB? Xanatos's Avatar
    I prefer RTB because most of FF games that I've played use that system and I'm used to it. Yes, FF V and FF VI use this battle system and it's also known as Active Time Battle (ATB).

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I miss the option "both". They have their pro's and con's as everything in this world.
    RTB (I know it as ATB, btw) is more challenging. You don't have much time to think about a strategy, you just beat the crap out of the enemy. And also, it's quite difficult when you think about it too long and then the enemy attacks before you have a chance to attack. Also, I've had that so many times: I wanted to attack an enemy and while I waited for my character to act, the enemy killed him off. O_o So then I have to act fast again, so that the enemy can't kill off the other characters. That makes the game interesting.
    Yet, it lacks strategy. You just attack every time. I mostly don't use magic because I had to think about what I should cast at the enemy. I normally just use Icega then. xD" Ice is always good to damage the enemy. But I don't think about what I'm doing - I'm just doing it.
    CTB is more about strategy. For example in FFX I really thought about what I'd do and when I finally realized that I saw that I can see who's up next, I based all my strategy on that. (I couldn't have beat any Dark Aeon without strategy ^^") It's quite great when you then beat the enemy, because you know it was your mind which did it, not your strength.
    What it lacks is challenge. It gets boring soon. To be honest, when I was thirsty inbetween a fight I just stood up, thinking "pah, he can't kill me because it's my turn", got something to drink for me, drank something and then played again. *yawns* Boooring~

All in all (I'm talking too much today O_o) I choose... both! =D Although it's not in the poll. xP

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Paradigm Shift What do you prefer RTB or CTB? FFTheBest's Avatar
    Sorry I didn't give my vote in the opening post...

I voted for CTB because it gives you time to think and plan out the strategy and tactics and also to take you time at what to choose.

Registered User What do you prefer RTB or CTB?
    I voted for RTB/ATB. I am more used to this type than the other, since it's featured in more games that the CTB.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I want to play a game. What do you prefer RTB or CTB? Zargabaath's Avatar
    I don't if the ATB system would really be real-time, yeah you can set the ATB to be active but I would think FFXII, Star Ocean, Tales of to be a better definition of real time.

I really don't care what the system is as I'm good with either. But I think real-time may be more fun (FFXII). With real-time there still is strategy but the player has to think fast. The enemy won't wait for you to make your turn in reality and soldiers and officers have been able to use strategy on the fly for a very very long time.

A plus for turn-based is you can take your time, not necessarily to take your time to strategize, but to do other things like: use restroom, tike a bite of food or a gulp of drink, read a post or reply on TFF

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

I don't really have a preference. The CTB works because you have to deal with character classes and party switching, while the ATB works because of the lack of uniqueness among characters. So, specifically, the ATB in IX was a hassle because of the jobs each character had.

I want to play a game. What do you prefer RTB or CTB? Zargabaath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    I don't really have a preference. The CTB works because you have to deal with character classes and party switching, while the ATB works because of the lack of uniqueness among characters. So, specifically, the ATB in IX was a hassle because of the jobs each character had.

Final Fantasy IX was quite slow though so it kind of played like a CTB game. When I played it on my second playthrough it wasn't so bad. It is still not as fast as FF VII or FF VIII.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x