Thread: Shadow of the colossus movie!?

Antidrall

Shadow of the colossus movie!?

My world is ruined... this is one of my favorite games of all time and now it is about to be butt****ed into a cinematic abomonation. look here.

In April 2009, it was reported that Sony Pictures would adapt Shadow of the Colossus into a film. Kevin Misher, producer of The Scorpion King, The Interpreter and the upcoming Dune film, is negotiating to produce. The script is being written by Justin Marks, who wrote Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. It was revealed that Fumito Ueda, the game's creator, will be involved in the film's production.

Are you serious? the guy who wrote the chun li movie? that script wouldn't have passed in grade school!!! now if you excuse me, I'm gonna have to slit my wrists downwards.

Registered User Shadow of the colossus movie!?
    I was all over this topic like white on rice.

Anyway, I share your sentiment. I don't really want to see one of my favorite games being turned into a movie. I don't think that Hollywood could really make anything that captures the feeling that the game created for me. However, I am interested to see how they plan to make a movie when there was very little dialogue to work with and also the fact that there really is no character interaction with anything other than slaying the Collosi.

The way that I see it, this is one of those things that you assume the worst, but hope for the best.

Oh, and Koh Ohtani had better be doing the soundtrack. It was what made the game so special for me. That, and literally slaying giants.
    Last edited by Dodie16; 11-30-2009 at 11:31 PM.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Bananarama Shadow of the colossus movie!? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think it'll be a horrible movie. There's no possible way that you can make the movie with the same feelings that the game evoked. Each colossi was larger than the last and more complicated to kill. I can't see it being very easy to constantly bring about that great feeling of accomplishment after killing a colossi and then immediately having that "ohhhhhh shit" feeling each time you see a new beast.

Plus, to me, the real fun in the game was figuring out how to do everything on your own. Granted, the visuals are gorgeous and would only be more stunning with today's technology, but I think a movie would ultimately play out like watching someone else play the game. Eventually you'd get frustrated at them because they're not listening to how you would do it.

In short, it would be a beautiful movie, but I don't think it would encompass nearly half of what the game is all about.
    Last edited by Pete; 12-01-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Antidrall
    Also, I think that in order to make a good movie based on a game you have to, well, I dunno, maybe, you know, HAVE PLAYED THE ****ING GAME!!! Now if you excuse me, I have to go find out how to make a noose, the knife was too dull.

Master of the Shadow Key Shadow of the colossus movie!? KeybladerXIII's Avatar
    Yes, I heard that news and I hate that out of all the directors, they picked THAT guy. Only Uwe Boll can do worse....

MY suggestion: Get someone with a bit more talent like Peter Jackson or Del Toro or someone who knows epic like them to do ICO. ICO is a bit easier to work with and if the movie performs well enough, they can slowly approach SoTC. That is the only feasible way, besides leaving the movie alone.
    "Take a chance.....roll the dice.......pick a card....whatever suits your game.....you'll lose either way...."

Organization XIII in a nutshell, in their most core personality:

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs25/f/20..._blablachn.jpg

The way that I see it, this is one of those things that you assume the worst, but hope for the best.

Shadow of the colossus movie!?

actually that imdb profile of shadow of the colossus isnt the movie its the actual original japanese video game itself, because it sais (vg) next to its release date meaning video game, and the japanese title "wanda to kyozo" means wander and the colossus., since its developed by japanese programmers.

Re: Shadow of the colossus movie!?

Oh GREAT... I can't believe they picked that guy to direct it! I love Shadow of the Colossus, and like Pete said, it's a lot more fun to play the video game because of the sense of accomplishment you get and how freaked out you can be when you play the game. The people who watch the movie aren't going to get those feelings because they'll be watching someone else go through all of it.
    Last edited by Mr Walrusman; 02-28-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Finding this place a little dull... Shadow of the colossus movie!? xTidus's Avatar

I think that it would be good! haha

xTidus: "What are you doing?"
    ViviMasterMage: "I'm eating your hair... Why?"
    xTidus: "You have problems..."
    ViviMasterMage: "You smell nice!...I do have problems!"
    Both: *giggles*

I want to play a game. Shadow of the colossus movie!? Zargabaath's Avatar

I read an article over at vgchartz - again - giving a good outlook on the fate of the movie. Initially I was very skeptical if this movie would be any good because most if not all movies based on videogames have been pretty bad. After reading this article I am becoming interested in seeing the movie; from what was written the studio is really trying to make sure that they are able to get everything as best as possible.

Here is the article: When speaking with Play Till Doomsday, executive producer at Misher Films, Kevin Ping Chang gave an outline of the current progress of the Shadow of the Colossus film adaptation. In doing so, he actually sounded both excited and knowledgeable about the game, unbelievable as it may seem.

“For Colossus, beyond the cinematic quality of having Wander battling these sixteen colossi, we have to effectively translate that into a narrative that people are going to want to watch for two hours. Without getting into the specifics of the script, that’s a big challenge, especially for something so stark,” he explains.

“One of the struggles of the game is that it is very episodic in nature, similar to the seven exes from Scott Pilgrim. Not that I don’t respect the Scott Pilgrim source material, but watching the movie, I felt it sort of dragged along. Those are some of the pitfalls that we have to be careful to avoid. So these colossi battles need to be very significant, they can’t just be one after the other, there has to be something learned from them.”

In contrast to most video game movies, with this particular one, he's actually staying in contact with Fumito Ueda, who most of you should know is the man behind the games developed by Team Ico.

“We are trying to repeat that transparent process with Sony and Team Ico,” Chang said. “Sony Japan is very involved right now, we sit down with them whenever they are in town for things like E3. Sony America, we keep in contact with them once a month. As for Team Ico, we like to keep Ueda-san as best up to date as necessary. When we feel like we’re comfortable with the product, we’ll approach him and ask ‘is this something that speaks to your vision and your inspiration?’”

“I think people realize the value of having the creator’s involvement more nowadays. They obviously know the material the best. We want Ueda’s feedback as much as possible, especially in terms of knowing certain character’s motivations for what they’re doing, where the character is born, etc. With that information we can begin to build the movie.”

Still skeptical? Well, hopefully this last part will cease your worrying. When asked if he was a fan of the game itself, Chang replied “Absolutely. I’ve played through it multiple times,”

Sounds good to me. Could we be seeing the first good video game-to-movie adaptation since the original Mortal Kombat? And with a game that actually has depth, and not about performing fatalities? Let's hope so.

After reading this how does it change your perception on the movie?

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Registered User Shadow of the colossus movie!?

Well, it's certainly good that they're keeping pretty close contact with the creator, and getting more insight to the source material. Honestly though, I can't say that my perception has changed too much just from reading that, but it's still reassuring that there are people that know the material (and enjoyed it) are working on the movie adaptation.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Controlling With Fear Shadow of the colossus movie!? Unlucky Rufus's Avatar

Wow.............whatever......i hate hollywood.
    Hollywood'.;':;
    Last edited by Unlucky Rufus; 10-25-2010 at 05:50 PM.