Thread: R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

Death Before Dishonor R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

I didn't know about this til late yesterday. Moogable informed me that rock legend Dio had passed. It was a bad day for the world of music.

So this is kind of an appreciation thread for Dio. Post some of your favorite songs, maybe how Dio's music affected you.

Favorite Song

~Rainbow in the Dark

I like most of his songs, but this is the first one I ever heard, and the best I have ever heard.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Che

Re: R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

Rock is literally dead now.

Sir Prize R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm glad I didn't have to post this thread. Seeing it made me realize, well, there are those who have realized something wonderful is now gone.

R.I.P., RJD. Metal will have to change now, and never be the same again.

I was maybe twelve or thirteen and all I listened to, honestly, was classical music. Had NEVER heard a rock song. Found a Nirvana tape on the ground and was hooked, at that age. After that I needed every new song or band I could find. But the first band I ever obsessed over was DIO. Now, having gone through several different "favorite" bands and different eras and scenes in music history...I wonder if my phase with DIO wasn't my favorite and if his music wasn't the best. I think it was. The writing was corny at times, but his music was consistent, it was always metal as metal should've stayed. He had the best voice ever in Heavy Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXaJ78eIIw

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 05-17-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Lady Succubus R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I might be a bit of a devil's advocate... or something along those lines.

But I've never heard of this guy before today. He must not be that big. I mean, even I've heard of Hendrix. I know of Led Zep. I know Ozzy.

Or maybe I just wasn't in the right crowd.

Also, why does Metal have to change just because he passed away? Did he have a hand in every single recent metal band? No.

So metal has already 'changed' even when he was still alive.

And this is MJ all over again. You people don't know him personally.

And all of a sudden he is brought to my attention when he's dead? What about when he was alive? Why wasn't he brought to my attention then? Did no one care?

Why care now? Just because he's dead? Is that it?

It may be all a big deal right now, but I guarantee you that a few months from now, or even a few weeks, no one will remember anymore. No one will care anymore.

I listened to the youtube link and the music is good. Just like all other metal songs I listen to. But his voice... not all that epic. Far from "The best metal voice ever."

And yes, I already know.

I'm an Asshole~

(PS: Now that I've heard of this person, I'll probably acquire his discography and give it a listen before I truly confirm my asshole comments.)

(PPS: If I end up liking this guy, then my comments will become null and void and I will eat my panties.)
    Last edited by Victoria; 05-17-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Che

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Victoria View Post

But I've never heard of this guy before today. He must not be that big. I mean, even I've heard of Hendrix. I know of Led Zep. I know Ozzy.

Also, why does Metal have to change just because he passed away? Did he have a hand in every single recent metal band? No.

And all of a sudden he is brought to my attention when he's dead? What about when he was alive? Why wasn't he brought to my attention then? Did no one care?

It may be all a big deal right now, but I guarantee you that a few months from now, or even a few weeks, no one will remember anymore. No one will care anymore.

I listened to the youtube link and the music is good. Just like all other metal songs I listen to. But his voice... not all that epic. Far from "The best metal voice ever."

And yes, I already know.

I'm an Asshole~

(PS: Now that I've heard of this person, I'll probably acquire his discography and give it a listen before I truly confirm my asshole comments.)

(PPS: If I end up liking this guy, then my comments will become null and void and I will eat my panties.)
    You're ignorant. He was a part of the beginning of rock music. Just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean no one else has. Rock isn't changed forever because of his death, he's already changed it because he helped build it. His death is sad because even though everyone dies eventually, some people help out what they have created in the past until the day they die. Rock has changed because people like you who never knew who he was know now who he was.

Now who do you idolize so that when their future death comes to be true I can show my own respects in a tribute thread to them. Learn some respect, realize people who you might not have ever known about exist, and stop being ignorant.

Blog Entries

^This. I'm afraid it's not so much that you're an asshole; more like you're talking through it.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Yup, I'm an asshole which makes me fully qualified to know what an asshole is exactly.

RIP RJD. Between you and Ozzy Black Sabbath had a lot of great music and an influence that'll live on for quite some time.
    victoria aut mors

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ZantetsukeN's Avatar

Dio is literally the greatest voice in metal. From his stuff with Rainbow and Sabbath, obviously Dio and recently with Heaven & Hell, his voice matches no other.

When I heard the news that he died yesterday, I was rocking Heaven and Hell (the album) all day, throwing the horns. Music in general has lost a huge figure.

I never got the opportunity to see him in concert, which I am gutted about. I've watched several videos of him live, and he looked fantastic.

But I'll be honest, I only really took notice of his music when I was about 15. I'm embarressed to say that I bought Black Sabbath's 'Live Evil' because I thought it was Ozzy, but instead it was Dio. However, the more I listened, the more I realised how much better Sabbath are with Dio at the front. From then on, the band Dio became a favourite of mine. Also, Heaven & Hell's 'The Devil You Know' was in the top 2 best albums of 2009 IMO.

RIP Ronnie James Dio \m/
    Last edited by ZantetsukeN; 05-18-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Registered User R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio winterborn86's Avatar

Like Mistress Vicotria, I've never heard of him unitl his death was announced. I never knew he sang for Black Sabbath but then the only song I know and like of their's was paranoid, I always thought Ozzy had only been black sabbath's lead singer.

Tho his death has no effect on me, (just based on the reasons that I had never heard of him), the way he died and his age at the time of death does suck. 67 is still pretty young to me and stomach cancer?? not a nice way to go. I do feel sorry for his family/friends aswell.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Bananarama R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah Toph, you're a douche. It's the same thing as if some anime artist kicked the bucket, or maybe the dude who created the FF series. How many people here would be bawling and saying how sad they were? Leave your basement once in a while.

Dio was a pioneer of heavy metal. He really paved the way, along with Zep and Sabbath, and served as an inspiration for pretty much every kid who ever picked up a guitar and wanted to rock the **** out. Granted, metal doesn't have the same reach that pop does, but in the world of metal, Dio was the equivalent of MJ. Plus, until he got really sick and bed ridden, he was out there performing and giving it his all. He loved what he did and he loved his fans, and from what I've read, he was a genuinely great guy.

MJ's death was really more of a global impact. His music surpassed so many barriers and generations and was very much universal. Forget his personal life, his music is what really made him legendary.

Do we know either of them personally? No, but since their lives are under the spotlight and constantly scrutinized, many people feel they do. We know of them through their music and we know how talented they are, and that's what sucks. The world loses really gifted and talented artists, and we're stuck with one more Jonas Brothers.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Lady Succubus R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well maybe I'm just foreign to the human ways of mourning.

To be honest, I never bawled or mourned at all when some of my family died. I didn't even want to be at their funerals cause it was so boring.

Does that make me an asshole?

But anyways... the point of my post was this: Why is it that I only hear about this legendary musician when he's dead? Why did no one care enough to recommend him to me when he was alive?

That's all I'm asking. If he's so awesome, I should have known about him from the get go. D:

Imperius Rex R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Storm's Avatar

I, too, was shocked when I heard this. He was one of the founding fathers of metal, who has inspired many people to create music. His amazing vocal talents had been lent to several great bands (including his solo), and dozens and dozens of brilliant songs. I was raised on Black Sabbath, as my mum has always been a huge fan, and I in turn learned to appreciate their music. In successive years I listened to Dio and Rainbow, and recently Heaven and Hell.

Another person lost to cancer.

RIP Dio.
    PSN username: Raikujaku
    A meow-ed member of PRK9

Che

To be honest, I never bawled or mourned at all when some of my family died. I didn't even want to be at their funerals cause it was so boring.

But anyways... the point of my post was this: Why is it that I only hear about this legendary musician when he's dead? Why did no one care enough to recommend him to me when he was alive?

That's all I'm asking. If he's so awesome, I should have known about him from the get go. D:
    Well to answer your question: sometimes you have to go out of your way to find out that things exist other than what has to do with your personal hobbies. So maybe leave your house or get some friends?

Death Before Dishonor R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dio was huge in the creation of the metal genre. He legitimized it. Without him there would be metal, but it would not be the same.

I have never understood this way of thinking. Just because I do not know him on a personal level doesnt mean much. It is still someone that I look up to dying.

Since I have been here I have seen I think 2 threads in the Music Forums about Dio. Maybe you need to look.

I'm sure that there will be people who don't care anymore. But us Dio fans will always care. Just like the MJ fans. Yes it has been almost a year since he died, but his fans are still tore over it.

And yes, I already know.

I'm an Asshole~
    You are coming off that way.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Blog Entries

You ****ing kidding me? A funeral isn't supposed to be all about you, it's about paying respects to the person that passed away. Just because you are not cultured enough to find out about something or someone means that it must not be that awesome.... =|

The world does not revolve around you.

Now stop trolling Josh's thread, you are a mod so act like one.
    Last edited by Rocky; 05-18-2010 at 10:12 PM.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Bass Player Extraordinaire R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Joe's Avatar

I can't believe I missed this thread. Now for the world's corniest epithet

RIP Dio, in heaven or hell, I pray there's always a rainbow in your dark resting place. Keep riding the tiger.

I grew up on Dio, my mom pretty much idolized him ever since her younger days, and as such, I was regularly exposed. I saw some recent live footage at a concert, and the man sang just as powerfully and well as he did in the early days. I'm disappointed that I'll never be able to see him live, but I suppose that's life.

When I heard the news, I actually started blasting all my favorite Dio songs. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it felt like a great way to pay homage to one of the fathers of metal.
    Last edited by Joe; 05-18-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Blog Entries

But yea, since Ritchie Blackmore picked him from Elf and those great ole tunes:

Black Swampy Water
    Rainbow
    Streetwalker
    Never More

To the greatness of Rainbow:
    Stargazer
    Long Live Rock'n Roll
    The Man on the Silver Mountain

And even further into Black Sabbath and into DIO:

Falling Off the Edge of the World
    Heaven and Hell
    Wishing Well

to

Last in Line
    Holy Diver
    Rainbow in the Dark

\m/

What is this I don't even Musashiden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I heard about this on NPR a few days ago and almost had a fit. First Peter Steele drops dead, now Dio. Who's next? Tommy Iommi?

*goes off to listen to Rainbow in the Dark*

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
    Thread killer extraordinaire since 4/20/01.
    Tumblr | Twitter

The Mad God R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Heartless Angel's Avatar

And yes, I already know.

I'm an Asshole~

Blasphemer! Dio was a founding father of metal as we know it. As founding fathers I credit... Zepellin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Dio. Dio actually replaced Ozzy in Sabbath, and played with DP's Blackmore when he went on to form Blackmore's Rainbow. And Dio was the guy who came up with the devil horns \\m//

He's also highly respected by other musicians. Hell, in Pick of Destiny, young Jables worshipped him as the god of metal.

YouTube - Dio Singing In The Pick Of Destiny

YouTube - Tenacious D - Heaven and hell ( DIO black sabbath )

In addition to being a god of metal, he was a great person too. Guy was touring for years with Stomach cancer, just because he loved touring. He lived for the metal.

I personally think he blew Ozzy away as a member of Sabbath, though Sabbath did alot of great songs with Ozzy, none of em can touch Heaven and Hell.

YouTube - Lyrics :. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

As a solo artists, gotta say I like Dio better than Ozzy too. Randy Rhoads made Ozzy's solo stuff kick ass, Dio made Dio's solo stuff kick ass. Dio > Ozzy, end of story <.<

YouTube - Dio - Rainbow In The Dark

YouTube - Holy Diver - Dio Lyrics

YouTube - Dio - we rock

Rainbow is in my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and there it shall stay, so some of my favorite Rainbow tunes...

YouTube - Rainbow - Man on the silver mountain (live 1977)

YouTube - RAINBOW LIVE IN MUNICH 1977 - Kill The King

YouTube - Rainbow - The Temple Of The King

You can kill the man, but you can never kill the metal. His music is what we'll all rmemeber him for, and his music will live on forever. I know I'll still be blasting this stuff when I'm in my 90s <.<
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.