Thread: Unpopular Opinion

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unpopular Opinion

Or is it?

I really don't like Final Fantasy XV, and it's definitely about time everyone stops pretending it is a good game. I don't think I'd have liked it better if it wasn't a Final Fantasy game either. It's just... boring. I said this last summer when the demo came out, and was attacked for not liking it. "It's early days, how can you say it's bad from a demo?" Well, nothing has improved since last year, so here I go.

Combat is clunky and not as smooth as I'd like. Bosses are boring. Side quests are boring. There's far too much running backwards and forwards. Travel is tiresome. Magic is annoying to use. The level system needs too much work for so little rewards. The actual story isn't that long if you cut out all the bullshit travelling. For an open world game, there's not much going on - the map is too big, but seems smaller because nothing is going on. I don't even find the characters all that likeable. Gladdy maybe, but only because he's a hottie, but Noctis can go suck a lemon, the miserable, spoiled little brat.

I get they've tried to appeal to a new audience, but damn. It's not a Final Fantasy game to me. I hope this isn't the way Final Fantasy games are going, where combat is dumbed down to pressing one or two buttons without a second thought, distracting you with how pretty it is and not putting worthwhile quests in it. I'm more keen for the remaster of Final Fantasy XII than I ever was for this.

Do you know how pissed I was, being a collector and all, when the Collector's Editions sold out while I slept? Now I'm just pissed that I spent the extra £70 on the special console. I burnt out in the first thirty hours, and really can't be bothered completing it unless there's a scene in the next hour or two where it turns into a Final Fantasy game OR there's a neked scene with Gladdy.

Please, tell me where I'm going wrong here? I can't be the only person who's not impressed.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post

Please, tell me where I'm going wrong here? I can't be the only person who's not impressed.
    You're not, its a shit game, blatantly unfinished, boring characters swimming in a beautiful empty world.

And yes the combat is an absolute mess, I'm stumped why they changed from the turn based battle system. They needed to? no they didnt, just look at persona 5 for example. Bloody amazing!

By the last couple of chapters in FFXV i couldnt wait for it to end, im over 65 hours into persona 5 and im still a far way off finishing it and i dont want it to end.

Bananarama Unpopular Opinion Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I liked aspects of it, and was turned off by a lot of it as well.

The concept was awesome at first, but got tiring and way too big for no good reason. Literally none of this would have happened had they gotten a proper car inspection prior to leaving. I also got tired of hearing the same banter, going on the same quests that literally did nothing to help to tell more of the story. You only learn the backstory through a movie or an anime series, which while cool and kind of informative, should be within the actual game. You don't learn anything until the last third.

I liked that you could use the royal arms to make your own attack style, and that you could quickly switch weapons to attack weaknesses. But I hated that it wasn't turn based, and that combat was either way too easy or a giant clusterfuck that picked strange boundaries.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    And yes the combat is an absolute mess, I'm stumped why they changed from the turn based battle system. They needed to? no they didnt, just look at persona 5 for example. Bloody amazing!
    Exactly! Persona 5 came out and proved that turn based combat isn't dead. If the combat is similar to the mess of XV in the VII Remake, I'm not going to be able to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    The concept was awesome at first, but got tiring and way too big for no good reason. Literally none of this would have happened had they gotten a proper car inspection prior to leaving. I also got tired of hearing the same banter, going on the same quests that literally did nothing to help to tell more of the story. You only learn the backstory through a movie or an anime series, which while cool and kind of informative, should be within the actual game. You don't learn anything until the last third.
    I can honestly see what they were trying to do, but it's like they gave up before it had even started walking. The first ten hours or less were probably the most enjoyable. Once that world "opened up" and I realised it's just more of the same shit, but I have to actually spend twenty minutes sitting in a car to get there before I can do any more, I was done. Even the summons aren't impressive any more.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

So...does Noctis have trouble sleeping? Stays up late does he?

uh....I still haven't spoiled FFXV for myself in any way
    "I find this all to be highly inappropriate."

Blog Entries
    It was an okay game, but it wasn't a very "final fantasy" game by any means
    One thing I respect about the FF series is that SE tries to shake things up with every new game. It seems like their recent record (13,14 and 15) were a bit mixed in terms of reactions from their core audience; some disgruntled fans of 13 felt like the game was a hallway simulator for most of the game, while others praised the story telling. In 14, most people were so dissatisfied that it caused the whole development team to start from scratch and retry. I think as far as 15 goes, it seems to be the most 'meh' game of the series. Hardly hear any discussion on it anymore, whereas at least people were talking about the previous FFs for years.

Again I don't think it's a terrible game, but it's nothing memorable. Other games like Nier and Persona 5 have the attention of the RPG fanbase right now, and ff15 will quietly go out.

I could talk length on how I believe that the hardcore fanbase of FF is a bit spoiled and shouldn't expect masterpiece work from every FF game, or how SE putting an actual FF7 remake into action is spelling out the beginning of the end for the company, or even how Sephiroth is a bad villain and made ff7 worse in comparison, but I'll save it for another thread.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Consistently Average Unpopular Opinion Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about making this thread haha.

I... am not a fan of XV sadly. I gave it an honest try but nothing just pulled me in and kept me hooked. Didn't like the boy band esthetic of the group and the banter consisting of the occasional almost cliche line from each of them put me off from liking the team. Except for Gladius. I find the strong silent characters are the best in Japanese media simply because they aren't spouting generic nonsense as a form of characterisation.

If you want an rpg with simple yet in-depth combat Bloodborne beats this head over heels. And in terms of story and atmosphere too.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

The Mad God Unpopular Opinion Heartless Angel's Avatar
    I couldn't even be bothered to buy it. Just watching streams and playing the demo were sufficiently disappointing. God damnit Square, you had a formula, and it worked for more than a dozen consecutive games. When did you get this stupid ass idea that we were tired of it and wanted these half-assed action combat systems trying really hard to pretend they were Final Fantasies?
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    You're not, its a shit game, blatantly unfinished, boring characters swimming in a beautiful empty world.
    XV is bad. Me and Nix beat this to death in the original progress thread lol.

Completely disappointing, unfinished, boring battle system, no story, filler-crap side quests...etc. etc.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Unpopular Opinion Xanatos's Avatar
    The more I see of this game the less I want to play it, it's on my list, but eh, it's crashing down that list rather fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I could talk length on how I believe that the hardcore fanbase of FF is a bit spoiled and shouldn't expect masterpiece work from every FF game, or how SE putting an actual FF7 remake into action is spelling out the beginning of the end for the company, or even how Sephiroth is a bad villain and made ff7 worse in comparison, but I'll save it for another thread.
    This, so much this, people act like every game prior to XII/XIII was a masterpiece or even good.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    I think it's stubbornness from Squeenix in some regard. It's like, ok we get it, they essentially perfected the rpg as we knew it. However, it seems like they're either trying to emulate what other franchises have done, or change the things that were iconic and done so well.

It seems like everything they did to become more like a mass effect or Skyrim was done at the expense of something that was great about final fantasy.

Sometimes less is more, and final fantasy in general has always been more about the spectacular. Unfortunately, it doesn't translate well with things like overdramatic voice acting, or worse, emotionless acting.

One of my biggest gripes was Nocts little hissing or grunting noises at literally every task. Refilling the car shouldn't be so physically taxing that you make any noise other than complaining that prices went up.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

TFF's Resident Messenger Unpopular Opinion Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gladdy maybe, but only because he's a hottie,...

...and really can't be bothered completing it unless there's a scene in the next hour or two where it turns into a Final Fantasy game OR there's a neked scene with Gladdy.
    Tumblr, Gemma. Tumblr has all of these you could ever want.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Final Fantasy is about showing off graphics.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I want to play a game. Unpopular Opinion Zargabaath's Avatar
    Picking up where I left off in FF Type-0 I realized that they have almost identical targeting systems. Where moving the right analog stick will change "focused targets", this is in no way acceptable for a console game. Granted Type-0 was originally a PSP game, SE did not fix it for the remaster which is understandable. For H. Tabata to not learn from a past experience and create something better is hard to justify. SE needs to remember that they are creating games, and in the aspect of game-play is most important. Does this game play well? What are areas that consumers may not like? What provides a good gaming experience? What doesn't?

I don't remember if I've said this before here but, Xenoblade Chronicles X (even the first game) allow focused targeting and allowing manual control of the camera to include zooming in and out at a player's desire. There is no unwanted target switching. To be honest I am so use to controlling the camera that it conflicted with FFXV's camera/targeting. Final Fantasy XV is the better looking game than XCX, but I am not watching a movie, I am playing a game and that should be priority one. Also, in those games the foliage never got in the way as is in FFXV. As in most games combat is a means of progression, but the hardest enemy aren't the monsters, but the trees and those green little things on them (plus camera).

The quote from the old trailers "This is a fantasy based on reality", from the old Versus trailers, seemed to still be a core concept and not just in setting or technological levels. But in game design. Magic was quite op, but it affecting the party as well was not a smart/good decision. I did not like it in Suikoden III or in Final Fantasy XV. But the "reality" part comes into play. Characters will get burned, the clothes will become frosted, or they will get shocked. Those affected will get stunned. Their clothes and faces will change from the effects from magic, from becoming dirty, or from the rain. SE focused on the wrong things, getting side-tracked and too wrapped up in realism. Final Fantasy XV is a game, not a tech demo.

That is just my take on a few things. There were some good parts of FFXV, but like others have said there are a lot of icky no-no's.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Not the Phoenix Down FF needed, hm?

Things that do not last forever are, in a certain way, beautiful because they are transient, impermanent.

It isn't enough to say "FF is dead." "This is dead, that's dead."

Fantasy series are not technically alive (nor are any other works of art), but they live in the spirits of those whom create and happily experience them (i.e. Fans).

It just seems to me that the generation which first signed up for Square's little 8-bit quest for glory can now safely say that what began with FF1 has reached its natural end in the gaming world. This is it, I think.

I look around at fans of this stuff...largely they are not basement dwelling degenerates with 0 empathy, only concerned with leveling up. I see careers, I see families, I see adorable pets, fancy cooked meals, I read scads and scads of writing by these people.

We have grown up...but Final Fantasy (and gaming in general) aren't *refusing* to grow up along with us. That's not what's going on, you see; they are *incapable* of growing up along with us. Gaming is simply not productive enough a pursuit for a career minded person with thoughts of starting or raising a family, or even someone who simply wishes for more of a social life.

Eventually, the dice had to be put in their case, the pencils and character sheets collected and put away, the rule books put back in their bookshelf, and the figurines put back.

The game must end eventually, you know. If SE are having this much trouble with FF (a decade of development and this), perhaps consigning it and other rpg series to "Legacy Status" would be the only logical thing at this point.

It isn't fun to think about or read, I bet. But Final Fantasy began in 1987...30 years ago.

Thereve been six presidents in my home country since then. I've gone from a toddler who could barely hold still to an ahem, "dried up old geez," as the boy in Sector 7's Weapon Shop put it.

Final Fantasy, if it wishes to remain relevant, must now finally, fully regard itself, behold what it hath wrought, as it were.

I predict lots of "Nostalgia" style releases from SE from now on, in the FF vein, anyway. Bravely Default is new and cool. I am setsuna, while people are a little divided about it, seems cool to me at least.

But the core ideas of FF, itself have withered away. It isn't FF anymore, if you ask me, and it makes me feel like that Era is over, that 15 has turned out the way it has.

So there we are.

~ Spooniest

Registered User Unpopular Opinion
    Noctis can go suck a lemon, the miserable, spoiled little brat.
    I agree Noctis needs to be taught some manners. I recently played the DLC Episode Gladiolus and there is one very good example of that. It opens with a cut scene (I don't consider this a spoiler because the opening cut scene doesn't really give a clue to the game play of the DLC other then the fact that Gladio survived it). The 4 friends are sitting around a campfire and Prompto asks Gladio “What’s that on your face?” Referring to the new scar on Gladio's forehead. Noc looks up and says “yea, you look like a thug”. When he said that I REALLY wanted to slap that kid. That was such a RUDE and INSULTING comment to make to someone who is not only a friend but is there to put his life on the line to protect the kid, I mean prince.

I came in on Final Fantasy with XII so I can’t make any comparisons to any of the Final Fantasy games prior. XII is still number one on my favorite games list (a very short list). Over all I do like the game. I like that the battles don't go into that annoying alternate screen like XIII does. (I hated that and how restricted the game play was that I haven't even finished it and probably never will.) The battles play out closer to what XII had and if I bite off more then I can chew so to speak I can run for my life without waiting for “Game Over”. I also like the banter. I know some people don't like it when their characters chatter all the time - I love it. I like all the characters, although if Noc were to fall off the face of the earth never to be seen again, I'm not sure I'd miss him, but I would miss Gladio, Ignis and Prompto.

OR there's a neked scene with Gladdy.
    As far as neked Gladdy, give them (artistic fans) time and you might get your wish but as the old saying goes - be careful what you wish for. Eventually they’ll start (f they haven't already) making the kind of pictures that they did with Final Fantasy XII's Basch, Balthier and Vaan (naked Basch - good, naked Balthier - good, naked Vaan - not good - too close to kiddy porn, naked Basch and Balthier together and Basch, Balthier and Vaan together - images I wish I could un-see, but unfortunately not possible). I think they got inspiration from the very explicit Japanese Manga books. And just for the record, I was looking for screen shots and cut scenes for a project (a mouse pad) and HELLO a WTF moment. More then I ever wanted to see of my favorite Final Fantasy characters.

This ain't no place for no hero Unpopular Opinion Tiffany's Avatar
    I really enjoyed XV. *shrug*

I didn't like it up until half way through the game though. I thought it was boring, the quests were repetitive, didn't overly care for all the driving. HATED fishing, hunts and the whole "IMPERIALS ABOVE US!" "Thanks" that played non stop.

Once the group got to Altissa it was a game changer for me and I was hooked for the rest of the story. And ALLLLLLL the extras after it. It isn't for everyone, and if people don't like it then oh well ha ha ha. I enjoyed it!

Blog Entries
    I wonder how Square would do if they made their next FF game using polished up 16 bit style sprites. Stop going for the realism and return to more fantasy. Give me some wizards with staves, ninjas, dragoons and knights.

Give me the same heart that the original games had. They could convey more emotion on a SNES than they have since 2001. That's a fact. Just blow my nuts off with some amazing music that can really tie in an emotional pull. I'm thinking the kind of stuff that really gave you that extra sense of things, like how the Red Wings theme gave you this sense of their pride and honor, or even the silly parts of FF6 with the playful themes. Just do it with an orchestra or modern quality.

No voiceovers, just actually having to read and pay attention to the story. No map pointing you to exactly where you need to go. Dungeons that seem like mazes, a four person party. Some grinding, but not an annoying amount. Maybe lots of grinding if you feel like it.

You could even modernize it by adding a character job or class skill tree (I'm thinking Mass Effect style), with an evolving limit break system.

Just think of the absolutely epic story that could be told with the data freed up on a single disc. Hell, you could tell a story of maybe two or three generations, with various transitions as areas change.

I think I just saved final fantasy.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Certified tech, come at me! Unpopular Opinion SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is actually a game like most of what you have said made by square back in 1993 which just got remade and released on modern platforms. Romancing SaGa 2 Announcement Trailer - YouTube
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    It's on xbox one, so I'll check it out. 25 seems a little steep for it, but I'm willing to spend it if it's worth it.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

It's not a bad game, but it ain't good either, it just an adequate - passable game and that's what makes it so disappointing. My biggest issue with the game, aside some questionable gameplay decisions, are the major gaps in narrative. You have to watch the film, the short series, read entires that never ended up in the game itself to get the full picture, and the full picture is for the most part intriguing. The game clearly isn't finished, which is a bizarre thing to say given it was almost 10 years in development.

I really loved the idea behind this game, Final Fantasy in a massive open world for you to explore at your leisure, but it was executed so poorly on so many levels. They looked for inspiration in WRPG genre, but took worst aspects of it. Honestly, I haven't been this disappointed by a game since Dragon Age II.

Blog Entries
    At least Dragon Age II was decent filler until Inquisition came out. It set up a bunch of things that bridged I and Inquisition. FFXV just is what it is
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

I played Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II back to back, the difference in quality was just jarring, dropped II after ten hours. I did went back to it years later and enjoyed it for what it was, but man, it still leaves bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it.

Final Fantasy XV was a real disappointment, so much expectation and so much hope for a sloppy scenario, bad characters, without depth or interest, and a repetitive fighting system ...

TweakBox word counter Tutuapp
    Last edited by avensis; 02-26-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Started playing the Royal version this week. I am going to be polite. Disappointing is a compliment.

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

Dragon age is an outstanding franchise. Agree 100%.

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

Thank you. Your comments made me feel better.