Thread: Thread Deletion

The Old Skool Warrior Thread Deletion LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thread Deletion

Due to recent issues with robust threads being deleted by their creators, users no longer have the ability to delete their own threads. If you have an issue with somebody's post in your thread, or the direction the conversation in the thread has taken, please report the offensive posts or consult a staff member to close the thread for you.

This decision was not based on any specific complaints or individual members, but rather on a trend we have noticed as of late.

If you accidentally make more than one of the same thread, consult a staff member and it can be removed for you (or, in the instance of receiving multiple replies, it can be merged into the other thread).

If you want to delete your journal, please post in the new Journal Deletion Requests thread and we will attend to the matter as soon as we are able to do so.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Badass Military Agent Thread Deletion Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

Re: Thread Deletion

There are times when I make a thread and it seems ungodly unpopular that I would like to just delete it and not feel bad knowing I got a million views and no comments. That's just me. At least I would consider giving us the ability to lock our own threads as oppose to just deleting it, that way it saves us the shame of having to watch the viewing rate skyrocket up with 0 comments. That's just me once again. Besides if it is lock, then the more threads that are made, just gives the unpopular guys the chance to slowly watch their shameful thread disappear into nothingness.

FYI

I don't know if this was a thread to be reply to or not, but if it isn't, I suppose I will be the first one to get yelled at.
    Last edited by Linus Li Lelouch; 02-12-2011 at 08:41 PM.

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Magically Delicous Thread Deletion Merlin's Avatar

Just because a topic gets no responses doesn't mean it is a bad topic. Everyone is interested in different stuff, so you can never be sure how much attention something will get. If you hear crickets chirping in your topic and would like to have it closed or deleted, just talk to the staff and they can take care of it. Personally, I'd just leave it there. Views don't mean anything. I could sit there and hit refresh in your topic and jack up the view count. Doesn't mean 5,000 people looked at it. It isn't a count of "unique visitors"

What is the big deal? Seriously, who cares if I want to delete my thread? Is it a real big deal and people complaining left and right that it was a make or break issue? Shouldnt you be worrying more about flashing stars and less about people deleting their own threads?

Conversely, if we do want our own thread deleted, do we just ask admins to do it?

Edit: To the post under me cause I don't want to post for this, no.
    Last edited by rJ floW; 02-12-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    tHe ChOsEn
    rJ floW
    .EcKS.
    Lionhart2001 aka Pete
    LocoColt04
    Telegraph aka Calamity Taco
    Neo Necron
    OceanEyes28
    Usagy
    This is why bitches love me

Human crack in the flesh, im the last of the best, one word to describe me? Spectacular yes"-Juelz Santana-

Lady Succubus Thread Deletion Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, just ask an S-mod/Admin to do it for you.

...And this may just be me, but will you please drop your flashing star stuff? It's really quite annoying at this point.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Thread Deletion Treize's Avatar

Doesn't this just make more work for everyone? It just seems like a waste of your time and members time because it takes more time to write out a PM than to just have members delete their own threads on the spot. From what I've seen, admins aren't always the most active, so it could take a while at times to get your thread deleted, I'm sure.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    Doesn't this just make more work for everyone? It just seems like a waste of your time and members time because it takes more time to write out a PM than to just have members delete their own threads on the spot. From what I've seen, admins aren't always the most active, so it could take a while at times to get your thread deleted, I'm sure.
    ^ Pretty much this. Don't see the real reason to overcomplicate things but if you guys want the more work, then by all means.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Blog Entries

The issue that we were having wasn't with the low-response threads, it was with people deleting active threads with twenty or more posts in them. Unfortunately, there isn't currently a way to tell the system that deleting threads with no replies is okay and deleting threads with replies is not okay. It's just a black and white option with no gray area. If we can find (or make) a way to modify this, it will absolutely be considered.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

#LOCKE4GOD Thread Deletion Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The issue that we were having wasn't with the low-response threads, it was with people deleting active threads with twenty or more posts in them.
    Ummm, so?

If I can create a thread, why can't I delete it too? Not really seeing a rationale for this, except for being annoying.

Badass Military Agent Thread Deletion Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

I suppose this is the perfect thread to post this.

I was thinking about making a thread to where people can come and just complain about everything and anything but then I went back and read the rules but I think it falls under the .... nevermind it doesn't really fall under a category but I'm tired of getting brief by mods.

I bring this up because whenever my mother or brothers and sisters call me, it's always drama and I have no one to complain to, hell it don't even have to be about them, I mostly wanna complain about work, but eh whatever, so I was just wondering if you could make something like that, if not then guess I'll just hold it in for now.

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Linus Li Lelouch View Post
    I suppose this is the perfect thread to post this.

I was thinking about making a thread to where people can come and just complain about everything and anything
    Why not just make a Journal? you can rant there all you please ^^ that's what it's for.

EDIT: oh yeah and for the whole not being able to delete topics because "active" threads are being deleted....lol.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 02-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Ummm, so?

If I can create a thread, why can't I delete it too? Not really seeing a rationale for this, except for being annoying.
    Yes, it is quite annoying when a popular thread suddenly vanishes because the creator 'changes his mind' or is 'offended' by some comment in it. The topic is already in play and you know well enough that if a staff member took it down you'd be hollering up a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by VBulletin
    Be careful with allowing thread deletion. When a thread is deleted all of the posts in it are also deleted. If you allow users to edit their posts indefinitely (see "Time Limit on Editing of Posts" setting here) as well as allow them to delete their threads, then they can go back into your forum history and delete all of their threads if they want.
    The staff is in charge of handling the end result of a topic, whether it be closure, moving it, deleting it, stickying it, etc. There really is no pressing 'need' for you to be able to delete a thread.

Blog Entries

Alpha, what if I started a thread that you and a dozen of your friends enjoyed posting in, and then I deleted it just because it was my thread and I felt like it? Or because one person had an opinion that I didn't like and decided that it didn't belong, so the only way to remove it was to nuke the thread?

This is why we've changed the settings.

Anything can still be done by appealing through the staff. If there's a legitimate reason to close or even remove a topic, it will certainly be done.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

#LOCKE4GOD Thread Deletion Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, if you can delete one of your threads, then you can delete all of your threads. Wow, insightful.

What you haven't explained is why that matters. I see no reason why the creator of a thread can't delete it. If a member, who contributed to a deleted thread, that they did not create, cares so much, nothing is stopping them from re-creating a thread.

This still lacks rationale.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-14-2011 at 07:00 PM.

This whole line of discussion is just silly. Threads are not blogs and are not owned by the creator. I can see allowing you to delete your own journal, but not a thread. I mean come on... if I said that it is within my rights to block all of your posts from showing up in TFF Light because it is "my" layout(I created it), you'd think I was nuts.

What 'right' do you have to delete other people's posts? How is that fair to people who spent time and energy into participating in a topic only to see it blown away on a whim? Doesn't sound fair to me. And that is why we employ staff members. If a topic needs to be deleted they will take care of it.

If I enjoyed posting in a thread and it got deleted, I would create a new one with the same topic and keep posting...and go on through my regular day...I know it's out of the box thinking but that's called forum innovation!

coughstarscough

predicting staff members to take it upon themselves to resolve the ending of this thread, because they can and we cant.
    Last edited by rJ floW; 02-14-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    tHe ChOsEn
    rJ floW
    .EcKS.
    Lionhart2001 aka Pete
    LocoColt04
    Telegraph aka Calamity Taco
    Neo Necron
    OceanEyes28
    Usagy
    This is why bitches love me

Human crack in the flesh, im the last of the best, one word to describe me? Spectacular yes"-Juelz Santana-

Blog Entries

Since members can no longer delete our own threads, can we have the ability to down rate someone else's thread until it's deleted? Obviously the more popular members should be able to hold more weight in votes than newbs.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

wow, what a pointless argument

The admins made the right call here if you apply logic, deleting topics affects post counts and that karma shit, its a logical decision made to prevent that, if your not happy with not having the ability to delete threads you started then just refrain from starting shit threads. If your worried about it that much you probably shouldn't be starting threads at all.

And Rj **** off with the stars shit its even bugging me now, besides, the only thing you deserve under your name, are a steaming piles of crap.

Flashy stars would be for the cool people that have devoted time to improving these forums, now fuck off back to your bong and rap music you absolute clown shoe....

Pretty sure i didn't break any rules with this post

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

Clown shoe lmfao hahahahaha. The hell Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I can see allowing you to delete your own journal, but not a thread.
    Do permissions allow thread deletion by members for specific forums? I'd do it for journals if possible. We don't even allow non-registered members to view journals, which I assume is to protect their privacy. In this one instance I think free reign should be given.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 02-15-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Yes, it can be done on a forum level, user group level, etc so we can do that for journals. I can do that later, as I'm on my way out the door at the moment...

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You shouldn't worry about giving people more work to do - if the mods and admins really had a huge problem with their jobs, they wouldn't be doing it. It's a voluntary position after all, and no one got forced into it.

There's a lot of members here who put time and effort into their posts. How do you think they feel when their posts are removed because the thread creator felt like deleting it? It's not fair. It doesn't take long to make a request to have something locked or taken down, etc - simple PM to a mod of that area or an admin, and you're good as finished. I can see the way giving us the power to delete our own threads would eventually be trolled over and exploited, with certain members creating a thread with the intent to just delete it anyway.

Besides, some threads could be used as evidence when it comes to reporting people. I don't know how much if any of a thread can be seen once it's removed, but not everyone is going to take each other's words for it.

Also, derailing a thread just because you can't get your way? Seriously?

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.