View Poll Results: How should the Intellectual Discussion forum be changed?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it as it is, but change how it is moderated.

17 70.83%
  • Change ID into a Political Discussion forum.

1 4.17%
  • Dissolve ID altogether.

6 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it

TFF's Token Imp Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I would, yep. I read all the posts, even if I don't post. I generally have a lot of uni work, but it's all at a computer and I almost always have the forum open in my browser.

[Not an indication that I think I'm the best for it or anything. But if people want me to, then I will.]

EDIT: I'll make another post in the other thread tonight, but I also think the label 'Intellectual Discussion' is condescending.
    I think it's safe to say people want you to! Haha, I just wasn't sure if you actually did or not that's all
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?

Kiss with a fist. Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it Dranzer's Avatar

May I suggest renaming it to something like "Agree to Disagree" the description could clarify what exactly topics involve, and even though it may be cliche at least it alludes that the forum is a "safe zone" where every thought/opinion matters, etc. that might lead to more activity as well.

Just a thought, feel free to say it's stupid, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
    happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
    PRK9 ♥ Prestige+ ♥ GDEAA

The Old Skool Warrior Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All thoughts are viable. That's how brainstorming works!
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    @S:

In my other thread, I propose the idea of renaming "Intellectual Discussion" to something a little more appropriate and less condescending.

The idea behind ID is to have a forum where thorough posts about serious subjects are made, and let's be honest - there is still a place for that to exist without it having to get thrown into General Chat and have some tag in the thread title to specify that it's a serious discussion.
    The idea that the members need topics to be sorted into forums, or tagged, so that they will know what's "serious" and what's not, is condescending. Nobody who knows about Obama's Healthcare or Kant's Critique of Pure Reason is going to have trouble seeing that the thread is serious. Actually, anyone who doesn't know would STILL know they're serious topics. People who play around in the threads can be dealt with via spam/trolling rules if it gets out of hand. I doubt that'll be an issue though, as most members here are pretty mature. It'd be good to make Alpha a mod of GC to give the others a break, though.

Shoving good topics into a forum barely anyone checks was and is a bad idea. The problem can't be solved with a name change. We all know it's still the same forum, haha. The people who pass over it and just go to GC aren't going to buy that shit. Just put the topic in plain view and let them decide if they're interested in it.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 06-08-2012 at 02:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Bananarama Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My only concern with with combining them is that serious threads can easily get sidetracked into bullshit threads. The concept of ID may be a bit condescending, but I like the idea of having an area where you can have a mature debate without the threat of it getting derailed with memes and general shenanigans.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Mystyrion
    Oh as far as the name sounding condescending, Loco posted topical debates in the forum consolidation thread.
    Just drop intellectual and call it topical discussions, or something g of that nature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I think that ID is fine for now but needs some extra mod help, perferably someone who can keep the individuals and less so the topics on the straight and narrow. Someone that and work behind the scenes and not disturb the topic, as they tend to get side tracked even after warnings are issued in topic.

I know the mods are usually quiet and dont take to outside opinion on who shouldbe one, but Id volunteer my services if requested. Just throwing it out there!
    Yeah, after lurking ID the past couple of days, it would probably be best to just nix it (no, not like Irish nix lol). Too many internet tryhards that would rather flamebait, troll, personally attack others instead of actually discussing the topic lol. Too many children, not enough adults! I guess that's what happens in a semi serious board on a videogame forum haha.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Registered Uber Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it Hobaginator's Avatar

I like how your poll doesn't include a "leave it the way it is and grow the f*** up and stop QQing" option.
    OG RPer of TFF forseriously

~~Jet Pack Soldiers: Never forget those who failed~~

Proudly wearing my ban rating since 1/1/12.

I'm just here to pad my post count.

The Old Skool Warrior Intellectual Discussion, and what to do about it LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, the voting period is done for and the majority definitely spoke. Wouldn't hurt to give Meier a hand in the matter, and a name change for the forum itself is likely forthcoming when the consolidations occur.

Since the time has expired, we'll consider this closed.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2