Thread: Character Requirement for Posts Policy

The Quiet One Character Requirement for Posts Policy Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Character Requirement for Posts Policy

I'm wanting to address this in a more visible venue. This is meant as an addition to the rules, but I wanted to draw attention to it since it is a important.

The new update to the forums had re-introduced a character requirement when creating posts/threads. It is currently set at 30 characters to be allowed to make a post, any less and you will not be able to post. The reason this was done was to reduce the amount of spam present in the forums.

The important matter is that we will also be warning members for willfully circumventing the limit, through spam or other methods. Most warnings will fall under a spam warning, but if it is repetitive the warning severity will be upgraded.

I'll be updating the rules to reflect this new change to the forum.

If you have any questions, concerns, comments or feedback let me know or post in the thread. I know the character requirement is not something a lot of members welcome, but please keep posting in the thread civil.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Ayyye Character Requirement for Posts Policy Lacquer Head's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just to clarify, is it ok to user fillers on VMs or in groups where the owner is cool with it?

#LOCKE4GOD Character Requirement for Posts Policy Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "willfully circumventing the limit"

^ Can you define that? Does adding in a sentence that literally says "extra characters" constitute a willful circumvention, or do you mean by using more... discrete... means? I don't even know what those could be.

The Quiet One Character Requirement for Posts Policy Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Willfully circumventing the limit would be introducing additional characters to make your requirement after you've already finished what you wanted to say. So like saying X and then saying "Because of the character limit" after to fill it out would be considered breaking the rules. Something as simple as just adding jibberish at the end or repeating the same character over again. There are other methods like using html/url code in the background to do it as well.

It covers any actions made to extend your post beyond what you originally wanted because you need to make up the requirement.

In answer to the previous question, that can be a slippery slope as it set up some gray areas where it can make it difficult. An unfamiliar member could report a post not knowing it was fine, an unknown staff member could warn it. I can see it causing a lot of arguments in future. I would like say it would be fine if all parties agree, but the requirement is also only 30 characters, which is a single sentence. Doubt there is often going to be a problem.

Though I must admit, if the requirement is on VMs as well that seems a little strange. Groups it makes sense because groups are part of the forums and are required to follow the rules like the rest of the forums, but VMs seem a little weird.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Magically Delicous Character Requirement for Posts Policy Merlin's Avatar
    Well the setting is global. I suggest filing a complaint with vBulletin on that one.