Thread: Another New Server

Eye in the Sky Another New Server Fuzz's Avatar

Another New Server

For those of you that have been around for a while... you know the drill

This is probably TFF's 6th server by now? We started on lame shared hosting environments, then semi-dedicated, to dedicated... so what is next? How about a new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400! This new machine will be more than enough for to maintain TFF, keep it stable, and keep it fast.

The upgrade includes us being moved from a 10Mb port to a 100Mb port... also getting 8 gigs of RAM.

I manage a few other boxes from the same hosting company so I am going to migrate a few other sites, as well. Probably 20 or so static, brochure sites w/ little to no PHP activity.

None-the-less, this is good news, but... will require some down time to allow database backup and time to migrate. I'm thinking of moving TFF first, so I may close the boards down sometime tonight or this weekend. I can't give a precise time at the moment. I will be sure to post a message with a proper time window so everyone knows when it will be back up. I don't think it will take longer than 4 hours.

I am going to use this time to also reorganize a few things on TFF, update content, and post some new ideas I have been chewin on.

In the meantime, thank you all!

-----
    Fuzz
    Webmaster
    @ thefinalfantasy.net
    [email protected]

Fuzz that is excelent news. Sucks for the down time but it will be for the better in the long run. Glad to see some new things coming TFF's way. Can't wait to play around with performance speeds and refresh rates to put this new server to the test haha.

((He's moving us first so we must be his favorite....))
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Shake it like a polaroid picture Another New Server RagnaToad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    ((He's moving us first so we must be his favorite....))
    That goes without saying. Although maybe it's because TFF makes him the most money. Don't know.

@ Fuzz: Is TFF being moved to a server you own, or is it part of a hosting company?

good luck anyway and thanks,

Rags

Lady Succubus Another New Server Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And since TFF is getting moved, so am I. Since I'm hosted by Fuzz. =P
    Grand news about the server upgrade, though. That's awesome. =D
    That means I can possibly have a forum!? ...Even though I don't need one.. -_-;
    The majority of the hits on my site stay from 0-10 seconds anyway. Meh.
    Last edited by Victoria; 07-08-2009 at 06:20 PM.

@Meir - haha, well of course TFF is 1st b/c it is my fav. Plus it will serve as a good benchmark for me to monitor the PHP/Apache settings for a few days.

@Toad - I lease all my servers through Server Beach, they are awesome. Although in the long run it is better to actually 'own' your own server, you still have to worry about housing it somewhere and getting a good data port and connection to it, which is a doozey - hence the leasing part. It is self managed, meaning I have to do all the configs and all, but at least I know the server is in a nice cooled down data center with PEER1 speeds and up-time.

@Mistress - Of course! I will email you your new info when I get to your domain... I think you can of course put a forum if you want. ;0

-----
    Fuzz
    Webmaster
    @ thefinalfantasy.net
    [email protected]

wow!! that will be good!! looking forward to it then!!

That's really great!

Saved from wrath
    Romans 6:23

Tsuna Feesh Another New Server Fate's Avatar
    This is the first time I've experienced this. So since the server is better, does that mean that there won't be any more server related issues where the forum refuses to load for a few hours?

Oh, it'll be really nice having a faster forum!^^

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

I feel epic... Another New Server Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.
    Ah, good news! Anything that moves faster than before is always good! I'll look forward to this change.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

Gingersnap Another New Server OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I, on the other hand, am glad to have an update on the way. If not just to spite those annoying goddamned turtles.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Registered User Another New Server HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I being on who knows little about computers will ask. Does this mean that everythings order will change? (For example bank moved or renamed)

Its nice that the system will be faster but will everything still be just as easy to find as it is now?

Freezing Ring! Another New Server Darkdragoon's Avatar
    Good new's to hear, and i mean it ^^. this website has been very slow (from me anyway's) But still that's really awsome ^^. Mistress hope your forum work's out for yea

Sincerlly,
    Outdoor2497

JillXWesker & MeruXDart FTW!

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Another New Server T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Hmm, I'm intrigued by the other sites Fuzz manages...aside from Sheena's site. Though, that's probably confidential data.

But it makes all TFFers so proud that the great Fuzz decides to treat us with this delicious treat of primacy. Makes us feel special and all.

So this probably means it'll go from clicked to loaded in no seconds flat? Dang, that means I need to upgrade my modem into something new and shiny. Eh, probably gonna have a chance at it. Maybe also a chance to practice forum ninjitsu?
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Hmm, I'm intrigued by the other sites Fuzz manages...aside from Sheena's site. Though, that's probably confidential data.

haha - well if you must know, I have a list of some sites here (I haven't updated it in a while though.):

Personalized Websites - Uniquely Simple. Portfolio

I will keep everyone posted on the migration and when it is complete. There will additional upgrades to the site when completed, as well.

thanks.

-----
    Fuzz
    Webmaster
    @ thefinalfantasy.net
    [email protected]

Shake it like a polaroid picture Another New Server RagnaToad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    haha - well if you must know, I have a list of some sites here (I haven't updated it in a while though.):

Personalized Websites - Uniquely Simple. Portfolio

I will keep everyone posted on the migration and when it is complete. There will additional upgrades to the site when completed, as well.

thanks.
    Holy F, that's a lot of websites.

The next person who laughs at your "low" post count will be tied to a pole, shot with 10 arrows and ravished by Silver, if he wishes. That final part is optional.

UPDATE:

The site has been migrated to the new server. All files and database information has been copied over and everything appears to be running OK.

I have to run out real quick, but when I get back, I am going to analyze the logs and do some tweaks to apache and mysql.

Sorry for the extended down time, I should have everything smooth before tomorrow morning, but if you catch anything really off, please report it hear and I will fix it.

thanks

-----
    Fuzz
    Webmaster
    @ thefinalfantasy.net
    [email protected]

Inventory icons seem to be really messed up, they are not transversing over properly. But that could also be because vBCommerce is also down.

Here is the error message I received.
    This installation of vBCommerce is pending activation - if it has been over five minutes, please ensure you have a valid license at vBCredits.com: The Ultimate Points System
    I will let you know if I notice anything else.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Freezing Ring! Another New Server Darkdragoon's Avatar
    Did you guy's get the new serve yet ^^ I was so bored without TFF forum's...
    But good job guy's ^^

JillXWesker & MeruXDart FTW!

Good catch Meier... vbCommerce requires Zend Optimizer to load its 'encrypted' code... bah. I am about to jump in and get that installed, so hopefully all the inventory icons and store will be back in order shortly. I too am still combing through things myself.

DNS can take between 2hrs to 48hrs to propogate... depending on where you live and if your ISP caches DNS zones... Some may still be hitting the old box, and if you are... you have the 'closed' message still. Try flushing your DNS (run ipconfig /flushdns) or try a different browser.

i'll keep you posted

UPDATE: Ok. vbCommerce and all the item post bits should be fully operational again. Let me know if you guys have any other issues!

-----
    Fuzz
    Webmaster
    @ thefinalfantasy.net
    [email protected]