Thread: FFXI Vista problem.

FFXI Vista problem.

I recently bought FFXI online, with Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia for £3.02 (second-hand). I was aware I wouldn't get a free trial, which doesn't bother me, nor is my problem. I also have the previous owners log in details and the sort.

So I install it, and all 3 expansions (I also got Wings of the Goddess for £0.99), and PlayOnline. And this is where the problem beings.
    When I click the FFXI desktop icon, I get "Final Fantasy XI has stopped working."
    I thought then maybe I had to go on PlayOnline first, so I tried. I then get the error "Cannot play on your current system. Error code = 20008003*"
    Anyway, I never was one for checking the specs for games before I buy, stupid I know. But hey, I knew this game came out, what, 4-5 years ago? And my laptop is up-to-date. Upon checking my specs anyway, I had more than enough. But I noticed it didn't say it was compatible with Vista, only 98/2000/XP (and various other models excluding Vista.)

I tried compatibility mode, to make older programmes (such as FFXI) work in Vista, but that didn't appear to work, the same error messages gave that away.

I then Googled my problem, and stumbled upon this site:
    FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

I followed the instructions, yet it didn't work. Several sites gave the same solution and it appeared to work for others, but not me? You might say I didn't follow the instructions properly, but what I think the problem is that when the instructions tell me to install FFXI after downloading and installing the Vista-PlayOnline, my FFXI continues to tell me to install the PlayOnline disc I recieved with it. What I need help with is (which I'm confident that site above doesn't explain to me) is how do I get FFXI to recognise I have PlayOnline installed, without actually using my disc? Otherwise I'll keep getting the same error, and I'll have to stick with not playing.

Sorry for the long post. :S Thanks for any help.

* Not sure if that is exactly what it said; just that is what I remember.

Lady Succubus FFXI Vista problem. Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For one, turn off the User Access Control, then don't install it in the program files folder.

Another problem, is that you're using Vista in the first place. =P (I kid.)

As long as you install it somewhere other than the program files folder, it should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Sheena View Post
    For one, turn off the User Access Control, then don't install it in the program files folder.

Another problem, is that you're using Vista in the first place. =P (I kid.)

As long as you install it somewhere other than the program files folder, it should work just fine.
    Ah, thanks. Sorry to continue to be a burden, but, how might I do that (turn off User Access Control)? I never was one for getting electronics to work.

Blog Entries
    It's located in the Control Panel under User Account and Family settings.
    You click "Add or remove user accounts." Click on your account and "Go to Main User Account Page."

Under "Make changes to your user account" click on the "Change security settings" link.
    In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.

Then it'll tell you to reboot.

Okay I'll do that. Thank-you very much.

I tried it, both turning UAC off and not placing it under Program Files, but FFXI persisted on telling me to install PlayOnline before. :/

I tried it with both the Vista-PlayOnline (from the URL in my original post) and with the actual PlayOnline disc I got from my FFXI pack. Neither yielded (good) results.

Blog Entries
    1. Don't double post - Use the edit button.
    2. Did you remember to uninstall FFXI prior before doing what I told you to do?
    3. You were supposed to do BOTH, not one or the other. >_>;
    4. When you install FFXI, PlayOnline should automatically install with it inside the folder that you specify.

I don't know why you continue to have problems.

1. Don't double post - Use the edit button.
    I'm new, and don't get hassled on other forums for it. Didn't think it much of a big deal. Sorry anyway.

2. Did you remember to uninstall FFXI prior before doing what I told you to do?
    It wasn't even installed beforehand.

3. You were supposed to do BOTH, not one or the other. >_>;
    Both the UAC and Program File thing? I did do both.

4. When you install FFXI, PlayOnline should automatically install with it inside the folder that you specify.

I don't know why you continue to have problems.
    It doesn't get to the point where I can select the folder destination, as it forces me to quit the installation before that point saying "You need to install PlayOnline before installing Final Fantasy XI", I can only press "OK" which quits.

Blog Entries
    Well, we're not other forums. We have our own set of rules. You should take it upon yourself to read the rules of every forum you join.

And.... just install PlayOnline, then? I don't see the big deal. You don't need to do anything special. Just be sure not to install PlayOnline in the program files folder.

And.... just install PlayOnline, then? I don't see the big deal. You don't need to do anything special. Just be sure not to install PlayOnline in the program files folder.
    Yeah I did that. I used the PlayOnline I downloaded from the URL I linked in my first post, and saved that under a folder I created (FFXI) in OS, outside of Program Files. When I tried to install FFXI it said I needed PlayOnline.

So I tried it again, only with the PlayOnline disc I own. I too, saved that under the same folder (FFXI (also after deleting the older PlayOnline)), and saved FFXI under that folder. It gave me the same error messages.

Perhaps I should just get an older system. ¬¬