Thread: Debating a return

Debating a return

Which all stems on weather or not I can recover my account and original character, and since I've lost the manual that had the stupid POL number inside it, I'm not even sure I can.

1. What are some of the biggest changes since I last played? Treasures of Aht had just come out the last time I played.

2. Is soloing really easier nowadays?

3. What's the server pop on Alexander and the economy like? I had around 2mil gil, is that a decent amount still, or is that just chump change?

Quick note: Does anyone still have me on their POL friends list? Does that give you a number? I'm sure I can fanagle what the password was if I just had the GD number, but in order to email Squeenix's support to get my account number back I have to have an ACTIVE account, apparantly.

Edit: Looking further into it it's looking highly unlikely I can play without buying a brand new copy, but I fired off an email to the support staff and we'll see what they have to say.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-17-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Re: Debating a return

From what I was playing. I only got to lvl25

Soloing is still only 1-10 IMO. When I was in my early teens I was grouping up. The level sync where higher ups can sync to a lower level so everyone gets equal xp.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Might want to wait until FFXIV as I hear it's coming out later this year.
    Or not, but I figure it might be a pain to get back into FFXI again and then start clean on FFXIV a few months later.
    victoria aut mors

'Eh, I'd wait for XIV if I'm unable to recover my account, but I had a BLM at level 40 and RDM almost to the 37 subjob cap, and I had like... PLD, NIN, and a few others in the 20s and the rank 5 airship pass, sooo..... yeah. I had done enough in the game to let me get around and just play with it, and I'm just looking for something to do and I wouldn't mind reminiscing in Vana'diel.

I leveled my BLU from 30 to 64 solo in 2~3 weeks, playing a little longer than average. Can pretty easily get about 4k exp in 1 hour of very easy soloing if you set yourself up properly for it, which you could do with about 1-2 hours of doing something else in between. This is all with Fields of Valor, a bit of a bonus way of getting exp.

Other jobs can solo faster. Particularly, BLM soloing on pets can easily net 8k+ an hour. You can do this from about level 50-75 no problem. BLM is pretty much the fastest exp soloing job there is. And it's a good thing, because they generally don't get invited to exp parties anymore since ToAU at level 50+.

2 million gil will buy you a few decent things, but it won't get you far once you get to higher end items. For example, a full set of HQ Staves for BLM would cost you somewhere around 3-4 million gil I think. You don't need a full set, of course. But it is nice to have.

The population is actually low right now. Very low compared to when you used to play. There are generally 900-1200 players at any given time online. And unlike some of the other servers, we're not getting merged yet. So we'll be staying at that for a while. Personally, I prefer the game this way.

The economy I'd say is not that bad. I regularly make about 100k/day by doing nearly nothing, and that can generally buy me some pretty good items every 1-2 days. For the better items I'd have to save up. But those are pretty much the best items you can get on the AH, which generally cost about 1-3 million.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 03-17-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Well I found my dad's book... I have no idea what he had leveled or what his money situation was like, but he had two more expansions than I did (I never bought Chains of Promathia or Treasures of Aht, but he did)

Installing now, we'll see if I can recover his toon. If I can't, I might start over just to mess around a bit, but I doubt I'd stick with it for long. I've rerolled too many times in XI already.

POL's email service is only giving me a runaround instead of solid answers to wether or not I can recover my own account. =\

Edit: Good ****ing god this has been a nightmare. Apparantly the original software doesn't work on Vista/7, so I have to download the POL Viewer for Vista/7 from the FFXI site, then uninstall what I already installed and reinstall everything. -_-;

Edit again: 5.5 hour update, christ. Probably not going to bother returning unless POL gives me my damn ID, my dad told me he gave away every single item he had when he quit. =\

Edit again again: So I messed around a bit, my dad has a few decent items laying about but he was kinda silly the way he itemized himself, and he only has 80K gil. Still trying to get my account back. =\

Apparantly the ultimate collection is only $15, so it basically pays for itself considering it comes with a month free of playtime, I'm considering picking it up for the 360 and starting over now.

I've only been to Windy and Bastok so far and both AHs were basically empty. Where's everyone selling stuff from? I'm assuming probably Jeuno is still a safe bet.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-19-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Rune Knight Debating a return Trodorne's Avatar

if i could afford to come back it would only be for my old friends and the sanctuary of Zi'tah and Ro'maeve. those places were awesome and i would go back there in a heart beat.

Che

I've gone back and played this game several times, even after I started playing WoW. Twice. The memories I have of it are far more enjoyable to think about than actually going back and playing it again. It's really too outdated for my tastes, but that's what XIV is for!