Thread: So, the Oscars...

Blog Entries

So, the Oscars...

Who's watching tonight? My brother is having a party, as he does every year, so I'm going to that. He gives everyone a sheet to pick their Oscar predictions. Now, I have no idea what all the nominations are, nor do I really know what all the categories are, but...

I have seen Inception, The King's Speech, The Social Network, and Toy Story 3 of the movies that were selected for best picture. I think only True Grit would really interest me of the others that were nominated, though I hear they were all good, with "The Kids Are Alright" being the weakest one (according to my bro, that is.) Of the four I saw, I really liked them all; it'd be hard for me to pick one of them as my favorite. However, I predict that The King's Speech will win best picture. It follows the Oscar formula perfectly, and the academy are a bunch of old fogies that, hard as they try, are not in touch with the times. If they were, they'd probably pick The Social Network instead, as it is definitely a movie about our generation and the generation of the internet.

Furthermore, I love that they nominated another Randy Newman song. His score is great, but the song is just like his other songs he's been nominated for in the past. If any pop song should have been nominated, one from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World should've been nominated. Although all of that music was alternative rock, not mainstream enough, and that movie bombed... Still, it probably could've been nominated for some technical award.

I don't really have any other predictions for sure. I know that I really liked Geoffry Rush in The King's Speech, and Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network (although Colin Firth will probably win best actor, which really he deserves for that performance anyway.) Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Yanqui UXO So, the Oscars... charliepanayi's Avatar

Re: So, the Oscars...

Was all pretty predictable in the major categories. Would have preferred The Social Network or Black Swan to win but The King's Speech is a very good film so no real complaints, it's better than some of the real Oscar howlers in the past *coughForrestGumpbeatingPulpFictionandShawshankcou gh*. And Trent Reznor winning an Oscar has to be worth some plus points.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

.............. So, the Oscars... smurphy's Avatar

I try(and fail miserably) to avoid seeing the decided winners as the decisions they sometimes make really are frustrating as someone who loves film(eg, choosing Forrest Gump over Shawshank in 94, Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas in 90, not even nominating The Dark Knight and not awarding this years prize to Inception being just a few slip ups in my mind).

What really riled me this year was the snub of Satoshi Kon in the In Memoriam section. Not only was he a monster in his field but 2 of his movies no less had influences on 2 of the best picture nominees this year. It shows Hollywood to be really insular and self serving and shows a derision towards foreign cinema and snobbishness in general.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

I was going to watch it, but once Inception didn't win an award from something it was nominated into, I stopped watching.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

Yeah, it was pretty awesome that Trent Reznor won an Oscar. That's almost kind of a nod to alternative music, as I guess was "Falling Slowly" from Once back in '07 or whenever. Still, that Randy Newman actually won. I lol'ed, actually. Not that I particularly thought much of the other ones that were nominated. Not sure I even really remember what they were. And Loaf, I remember one that I thought Inception should've won, but the King's Speech won instead-best original script, I think it was-and I was like "Whaaaaaat? That's bullshit!"

But yeah; TDK got quite the snub a few years ago. And actually, I will say I'd be interested in seeing "The Fighter;" I totally forgot about it when I posted this thread. Also didn't realize that Natalie Portman hadn't won yet. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth So, the Oscars... Xanatos's Avatar

My response will be rather brief as I have yet to see some of the nominated movies, Kings Speech in particular. I usually don't watch the show as it tends to be boring, this year was no exception. The ones I pick rarely do win, some don't get as far as being nominated, either I or those old farts have a bad taste...

Anyways, what really got me this year was Hans Zimmer not being awarded for best score. In my humble opinion, Social Network didn't have memorable music, nor was it as good as the one from Inception.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I was going to watch it, but once Inception didn't win an award from something it was nominated into, I stopped watching.
    Inception won Cinematography, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Visual Effects.

But seriously, they were incredibly boring and nobody had a memorable speech at all. Just yawned through the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    My response will be rather brief as I have yet to see some of the nominated movies, Kings Speech in particular. I usually don't watch the show as it tends to be boring, this year was no exception. The ones I pick rarely do win, some don't get as far as being nominated, either I or those old farts have a bad taste...

Anyways, what really got me this year was Hans Zimmer not being awarded for best score. In my humble opinion, Social Network didn't have memorable music, nor was it as good as the one from Inception.
    As much as I freaking love Hans Zimmer, I thought The Social Network had amazing music. Definitely set the mood of the film very well. Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch did a great job on it, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Was all pretty predictable in the major categories. Would have preferred The Social Network or Black Swan to win but The King's Speech is a very good film so no real complaints, it's better than some of the real Oscar howlers in the past *coughForrestGumpbeatingPulpFictionandShawshankcou gh*. And Trent Reznor winning an Oscar has to be worth some plus points.
    It was predictable, but that's not the point? I would have liked to see Black Swan win best picture, but I never saw the King's Speech so I don't want to get into preference or choice of movie, but I'm wondering how you didn't think Forrest Gump or Pulp Fiction was deserving of an oscar?
    Last edited by che; 02-28-2011 at 11:22 PM.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries

What about Kirk Douglas? Also liked the lady who won the award, then. That was the best part of the show, I think.

I was disappointed that they didn't interview the characters from the movies nominated for best animated picture this year. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    What about Kirk Douglas? Also liked the lady who won the award, then. That was the best part of the show, I think.

I was disappointed that they didn't interview the characters from the movies nominated for best animated picture this year. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    I will agree that was the most entertaining part of the awards.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    I don't want to get into preference or choice of movie, but I'm wondering how you didn't think Forrest Gump or Pulp Fiction was deserving of an oscar?
    I said it was a bad decision that Forrest Gump (which is sentimental, reactionary nonsense) beat Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption.

Incidentally Inception won the joint most awards of the night, albeit they were all technical ones.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

___________ So, the Oscars... Kyreaan's Avatar

I like how one of the awarded women dropped the first F-bomb ever in the Oscars. Wasn't this the 83rd Annv. show? I believe she also got the SAG award for the same movie, The Fighter.

Then Kirk Douglas asks the hot, Anne H., "where were you when I made movies?"

I felt like I was watching a recap on the SAG awards. Most people getting anything they get it twice. The hosting was the major difference in the entire event. If I was ever a stuntman or anything, I'm sure I'd be sitting at a table with a bunch of actors I've never met wondering 'well, I'm either going to win twice or nothing at all.'

You think Mark Walberg liked being called Marky Mark?

What's your opinion on the "younger demographic" hint the hosts gave? and the mother of Anne H. asking her to stand up straight?
    Last edited by Kyreaan; 03-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreaan View Post
    I would skip the part about it being a 100lb box set and consider the relative mass to converted energy for the staircase. The style I would first choose is to go for the Aeronaut legos and calculate relative time and distance to the axis points within the electromagnetic field that could cross over warping into a wormhole given enough density converted into energy by using the funnelled power of the sun. Enough power may be derived not from the sun, but from the mass of an artificial, contained black hole connected to a semi-quantum theorized single vacuum tube for energy wave processing. You cause youself to fold inward and then collapse in on itself, while rematerializing into another universe or within the same universe with the rest of your ship. Your reference points will be the nearby astrology of wherever you ended up, as well as the age of the nearby stars relative to your current star maps. Go ahead and give me a call or send me an email if I am considered for the position. Thanks. It was nice meeting you.
    I am slapping this thread up for an update. There was a petition set up at Petition Spot for .hack//Link (PSP). It says it is needing 50,000 signers, but it looks like they are asking for only 100 right now. This is asking for either an English patch or an English release towards both NA and Europe regions. It is the last game of the entire series.

.hack//Link English Localization- Petition Spot

The first two series, for those of you who don't read or know, were 7 volumes total and all for PS2. There was also an 8th; it was called .hack//Fragment Offline. A lot of people didn't know that I bet. Has anyone read any .hack manga? If you don't plan on getting Link and instead prefer to read, I recommend at least trying out .hack//Link Manga- Read .hack//Link Manga Online for Free at Manga Fox. Let me know what you think.

but Brett, it didn't win everything. That is why I didn't watch it.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Bananarama So, the Oscars... Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I was watching the Knicks/ Heat game, but I flipped to it during the commercials and the intermissions.

I'm pretty surprised The Fighter didn't win best picture. The King's Speech was good, but it didn't wow me. Inception would have been my choice for runner up, after the Fighter. I didn't see True Grit, but I've been dying to.

Anne Hathaway was more or less the perfect woman throughout the night. She pulled off the hot AND cute looks, which is pretty damn rare. She could totally get it.

As for Randy Newman winning... ugh. I think that the one Family Guy clip summed his music up best. Singing what he sees.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Randy Newman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Family Guy

___________ So, the Oscars... Kyreaan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Anne Hathaway was more or less the perfect woman throughout the night. She pulled off the hot AND cute looks, which is pretty damn rare. She could totally get it.
    :Necroposting for Anne Hathaway:

Yes. I might get hit by one of the staff for this, but I had to agree with Pete. This is one of the reasons you are in my friends list. There was also an older thread about Anne Hathaway getting the next Catwoman part. You're going to see her kick the movie in the face just like she kicked the Oscars and 'Alice in Wonderland' in the face with how much she is a &|@%;#/ GD b@d@$$.

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:
    I would skip the part about it being a 100lb box set and consider the relative mass to converted energy for the staircase. The style I would first choose is to go for the Aeronaut legos and calculate relative time and distance to the axis points within the electromagnetic field that could cross over warping into a wormhole given enough density converted into energy by using the funnelled power of the sun. Enough power may be derived not from the sun, but from the mass of an artificial, contained black hole connected to a semi-quantum theorized single vacuum tube for energy wave processing. You cause youself to fold inward and then collapse in on itself, while rematerializing into another universe or within the same universe with the rest of your ship. Your reference points will be the nearby astrology of wherever you ended up, as well as the age of the nearby stars relative to your current star maps. Go ahead and give me a call or send me an email if I am considered for the position. Thanks. It was nice meeting you.
    I am slapping this thread up for an update. There was a petition set up at Petition Spot for .hack//Link (PSP). It says it is needing 50,000 signers, but it looks like they are asking for only 100 right now. This is asking for either an English patch or an English release towards both NA and Europe regions. It is the last game of the entire series.

.hack//Link English Localization- Petition Spot

The first two series, for those of you who don't read or know, were 7 volumes total and all for PS2. There was also an 8th; it was called .hack//Fragment Offline. A lot of people didn't know that I bet. Has anyone read any .hack manga? If you don't plan on getting Link and instead prefer to read, I recommend at least trying out .hack//Link Manga- Read .hack//Link Manga Online for Free at Manga Fox. Let me know what you think.