Thread: Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie

Registered User Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie

Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie

Yes, you read it correctly. One of my best-loved games is being made into a movie. I've known about this for a while now, but I wondered if anyone else knew about it.

Am I happy? Hell no.

I loved SoTC, and seeing as how movies based on video games do rather poorly, I have low expectations.

Here's what I found when I looked for some info. on the movie. It's taken from this site:

Shadow of the Colossus Movie in Development: News from 1UP.com

One of the most beloved games of the PlayStation 2 may be on its way to the big screen, reports Variety. Shadow of the Colossus has been picked up by Sony Pictures with Kevin Misher producing. His name is credited for The Scorpion King, The Interpreter, and the upcoming Dune.

Now for the (potentially) bad news. The script is being written by Justin Marks, who you may remember wrote Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. That movie was an unfortunate dud, but we can hope that it was just a fluke. Marks has a big task ahead of him, making a feature-length movie out of a game with minimal dialogue and very few speaking characters. The report claims that minor characters from the game may take a larger role. And of course, Variety reminds us that the path from studio to screen is a long one, and anything can happen in-between. We'll keep an eye out for this one and hope for the best.
    I particularly like the part that I highlighted "hope for the best." That's what I told myself when I first heard about this.

Haha. I found this while I was looking for some more information about the movie. Watch the video that's linked on the site please. It's pretty funny!

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/...olossus-movie/
    Last edited by Dodie16; 09-18-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

R-K H、有名な侍の戦争の神ソウル刈り取り手 Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima's Avatar
    I live in your Mind, your Heart, and your Soul...There is no way in Hell you can ever escape from me! I'm everywhere...
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...Interesting. I wanted to play that game, but I never really ended up playing it at all...Sad Face Anyway, I'm sure it will be great...Atleast I hope so...LOL

Sig. Banner made by: Victoria

Favourite Quote Of The Year: "武器ではなく、それを行使する手を恐れてください"(Fear Not The Weapon, But The Hand That Wields It)

Press This Button To View All My Stuff >>>:

Press This Button To View My TFF Family >>>:
    My Older Brother: The legendary Egyptian Pharaoh RamesesII, Whipping Slaves long before the Holy Lord was Born.

My Inspiring Older Brother: Meier Link, (Title Unknown)
    My Brother: Ralz
    My Brother: Fate
    My Sister: Kilala, The Glomp&Huggle Master
    My Interesting Sister: Andromeda, The TFF Goddess
    My Loveable Sister: Waterdragoon, The Water Dragoon
    My Blood Brother: Elyon Demidias, The Next Level Overlord
    My Lovely, Beautiful, and Awesome Big Sister: Dodie, Okami's Sister at Heart
    My Strong willed Big Sister: DragonHeart, The Dragon Collector
    The God Father: Dark Squall
    My Lethal and Shadowy, Yet Humerous and Random Younger Brother: Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    My Newest Buddy And Awesomest Big Brother: Black Waltz, The Shiznit(The Best)

Wanna be in My TFF Family, Just ask me.

Press this button to see which Fraternity I'm in >>>:

~Founder & Proud Member of the Arteo Warra Okhun Lataar Fraternity, Also Known as: A.W.O.L. Since 2009~
    A.W.O.L. FOR LIFE, YEAHYA!!!

^^^
    ______________________l l l______________________

/ Been Chilln' & Killin' it since 1992/

Master of the Shadow Key Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie KeybladerXIII's Avatar
    If anyone has played the game, they know it'll be a bad idea. The emotions felt during that game cannot be easily translated to a movie. Besides, Wander doesn't talk and his only companion is a horse, how can they possibly make that transition from game to movie. No doubt the Collossi will be a sight to behold, if they put all of them(including the two little guys) in. I bet they'll put some crap backstory on it too....
    "Take a chance.....roll the dice.......pick a card....whatever suits your game.....you'll lose either way...."

Organization XIII in a nutshell, in their most core personality:

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs25/f/20..._blablachn.jpg

I want to play a game. Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie Zargabaath's Avatar
    I loved the game but I don't have high hopes because Justin Marks is writing it. There is not much you can say positively about the newest Street Fighter movie. I'll wait to see some trailers to put more judgement on it but I don't have high hopes. It is sad that a great game may be butchered by filmography, hopefully not as bad a Bloodrayne. lol

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Asking all the personal questions. Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries
    They are going to have a hell of a time making the story exciting aren't they like someone above said all it is is walking around with a horse and fight ginormous hairy monsters haha i loved the game and it is the most visually appealing game i have played to date the sheer epicness of the land and the colossi where fantastic but a movie nah i don't think they should go there but nonetheless i would watch it just to take a squiz and see how it turns out.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Blog Entries
    Heh, and I actually listed this as a game that I'd like to see as a movie solely because of how awesome it would be to see the colossi on the big screen. Looks like someone agreed with me. XD If they try to turn it into an action film it will fail, though. It's the atmosphere and the sheer amazing wonder of both the island and the colossi that made the game and would make the movie an amazing experience. If the movie were to be done right, of course. Which it likely won't be, but I admit I really would like to see a trailer before making any judgments.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Registered User Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie
    Okay, so I haven't found any more information about the movie as of yet. I did however find a site that is hosting a rather hilarious fan made movie. I edited my first post so that the link is there as well.

News : Mega64 releases Shadow of the Colossus movie [PS2] - from GamePro.com
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie Polk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    Okay, so I haven't found any more information about the movie as of yet. I did however find a site that is hosting a rather hilarious fan made movie. I edited my first post so that the link is there as well.

News : Mega64 releases Shadow of the Colossus movie [PS2] - from GamePro.com
    Everything Mega64 does is amazing. I recommend going to their website and checking out their other videos. And now I'm done whoring them out.

As for SotC as a film, it'll be hard to pull off well. Sure, SotC is a beautifully cinematic game, but much of the game is simply exploring the environments and the dramatic tension rising until you finally meet the colossi, and prepare for a climatic confrontation. And not to mention the people attached to the film thus far.

Shadow of the Colossus has been picked up by Sony Pictures with Kevin Misher producing. His name is credited for The Scorpion King, The Interpreter, and the upcoming Dune.

Now for the (potentially) bad news. The script is being written by Justin Marks, who you may remember wrote Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.
    Yeesh. That's a tough start. I will remain hopeful, though. I loved SotC.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Little Pandemonic Carnival Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie Insufficient Mage's Avatar
    With the right person directing it, it could make for an interesting movie.

In the game, one of the things that made the story so enthralling was that so many things were left up to interpretation. You were basically thrust in the middle of a situation, with no knowledge of what happened previous to the beginning of the game, or Wander's relationship to Mono, or what kind of "sacrifice" Mono was victim to, though the player gains an idea of how all these things came to be whilst playing the game.

So the movie could be a way of interpreting how somebody saw the game in their eyes. It left plenty of room for imagination, what with the game being so vague and all.
    Will it have the same surreal feel as the game. Most likely no. But it will be an interpretation. Who would want to see a movie that's the exact same thing as something they already played anyways?

Originally when I heard about this movie, I was not happy about it. But I've since tried to keep an open mind to it. This is one of my favorite games of all time, so if its gonna be made into a movie, I hope for the best.

Though of course, almost all hope was destroyed when I heard who was writing the script. Still trying to keep an open mind... *Cringe*

Antidrall
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    Yes, you read it correctly. One of my best-loved games is being made into a movie. I've known about this for a while now, but I wondered if anyone else knew about it.

Am I happy? Hell no.

I loved SoTC, and seeing as how movies based on video games do rather poorly, I have low expectations.

Here's what I found when I looked for some info. on the movie. It's taken from this site:

Shadow of the Colossus Movie in Development: News from 1UP.com

I particularly like the part that I highlighted "hope for the best." That's what I told myself when I first heard about this.

Haha. I found this while I was looking for some more information about the movie. Watch the video that's linked on the site please. It's pretty funny!

Mega64 releases Shadow of the Colossus movie, News from GamePro
    Sweet 12 choclately layers of hell! that video was beter than anything hollywood can pull outta their ass!

Badass Military Agent Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

Re: Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie

As great as the game was, honestly making a movie from it will be challenging. I'm not so much a fan of a videogame turned movie unless the game sucked, and in this case Shadow of the Colossus is far from sucking.

Although I haven't seen either of those movies they mentioned in the article, I always have a different view from other people when it comes to games/animes turned movie. I mean I thought The Last Airbender was pretty good, while 99% of the world hated it.

This is a pretty late post, but hopefully the movie is still in production.

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Antidrall

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I'd like to ask one simple question: Why should we want games to become movies? Video games are by definition interactive, and you can't get the same experience out of a movie. Now, the whole reason why I hated the silent hill movie was because it was trying to emulate the game, when the game was all about feeling alone. the game wasn't trying to get you to watch this one man walk all alone in a horrifiying world, it was getting you to become a part of him. you can't make that into a movie, no matter how good of a director you are. as for Shadow Of the Colossus, What I felt was the strongest part of it's story is the connection that Wander has with everyone about him. the utter hell that he goes through to save Ono's (I think that's her name, it's been a long time) life, was very touching, but it wasn't just him going through it. It was you too. Your horse, Argo. He stayed with you throughout the entire game, even when facing down the colossi with you on his back, he trusted yo and knew that you wouldn't leave him if it was the other way around. when he fell off of that platform you felt Wander's pain and sorrow, looking down even after the cutscene to see if he was still alive. that was what was so powerful about the story When Hollywood tries to get a hold of games like these, they completely misunderstand the entire reason why people like the game. They think that reason why the game is so good is JUST the gameplay or graphics in general, when it's the immersion in the game. the feeling that you are the prince, you are Link, you are Altair, you are Harry Mason and Wander. It's you interacting with other people and the world around you, not Jake Gyllenhal.

Badass Military Agent Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antidrall View Post
    Now that I've calmed down a bit, I'd like to ask one simple question: Why should we want games to become movies? Video games are by definition interactive, and you can't get the same experience out of a movie. Now, the whole reason why I hated the silent hill movie was because it was trying to emulate the game, when the game was all about feeling alone. the game wasn't trying to get you to watch this one man walk all alone in a horrifiying world, it was getting you to become a part of him. you can't make that into a movie, no matter how good of a director you are. as for Shadow Of the Colossus, What I felt was the strongest part of it's story is the connection that Wander has with everyone about him. the utter hell that he goes through to save Ono's (I think that's her name, it's been a long time) life, was very touching, but it wasn't just him going through it. It was you too. Your horse, Argo. He stayed with you throughout the entire game, even when facing down the colossi with you on his back, he trusted yo and knew that you wouldn't leave him if it was the other way around. when he fell off of that platform you felt Wander's pain and sorrow, looking down even after the cutscene to see if he was still alive. that was what was so powerful about the story When Hollywood tries to get a hold of games like these, they completely misunderstand the entire reason why people like the game. They think that reason why the game is so good is JUST the gameplay or graphics in general, when it's the immersion in the game. the feeling that you are the prince, you are Link, you are Altair, you are Harry Mason and Wander. It's you interacting with other people and the world around you, not Jake Gyllenhal.

I 100% know where you are coming from, no doubt about that. I personally think, they are just running out of ideas for movies so what else do they got to pick from?... Videogames obviously.

Although having played and completed Shadow of the Colossus personally, I felt the connection you was talking about because it was infact very powerful. Honestly though, if by some miracle they managed to make this movie good, then it will definitely be the best movie I ever saw, not many movies I see nowadays leave me with that feeling of sorrow and despair, and this may be the first in a very long time.

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.