Thread: The Office: David Brent vs. Michael Scott

Fun For Hire The Office: David Brent vs. Michael Scott FamousMortimer's Avatar

The Office: David Brent vs. Michael Scott

Obviously, you have to have seen both series (English and American) to really answer to this thread, but If you have thoughts on one or the other, they are welcome. I have always found both characters to be at once parallel AND different. I feel like Michael Scott has been more humanized than David Brent. All we ever see of Brent is his ignorance and tactlessness. He is a social monster, but it seems like they toss Michael Scott a moment of relatable vulnerability every now and then. This may be due to the fact that the American Office has had more than two seasons to develop their characters, so perhaps Brent may have recieved such redemptions from time to time, had the English version had the opportunity. Thoughts?
    Last edited by FamousMortimer; 01-10-2010 at 03:09 AM.

#LOCKE4GOD The Office: David Brent vs. Michael Scott Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I generally enjoy British humour a LOT more than US humour, but in the case of the Office, the US one stands out more to me. I find the events and characters of the UK office just too absurd. I mean, that's standard fare of British humour, but it's supposed to be an office - that is, easily relateable. The US office is more regular, and relies on the interactions of standard office personalities a bit more, rather than strange occurrences. Obviously this isn't a universal observation between the shows, and they have much in common - including being funny.

As to the characters; my above statements apply primarily to Brent and Scott, as well as the shows in general.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-10-2010 at 02:54 AM.

Fun For Hire The Office: David Brent vs. Michael Scott FamousMortimer's Avatar
    I would be inclined to agree, though I am no expert on British humor. The (UK) Office is one of my first forays into English comedy, second only to "And Now, Something Completely Different" by Monty Python. However, that absurdity is one of the charming things about the English version.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The US office is more regular, and relies on the interactions of standard office personalities a bit more, rather than strange occurrences.
    Are you sure you aren't mixed up? The U.S. version, where a guy drives into a lake because the GPS tells him to, exits his office and screams "I declare bankruptcy!", and plans to jump off of a multiple-story roof into a bouncehouse to prove a point is more regular than the U.K. version, which takes place within the confines of reality?

The U.K. version is not as laugh out loud funny as the early seasons of the American version, but it remained consistently good, whereas the current American seasons are an embarassment.

Bananarama The Office: David Brent vs. Michael Scott Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that one of the things that people don't entirely get about The Office is that the characters are so very real. The show takes place in Scranton, and I've spent a fair amount of time there (as well as neighboring Binghamton). The people there are pretty bizarre, just like on the show. I worked with a guy who wanted me to help him drain a deer that he hit with his truck while on our lunch break, which is something totally Dwight.

I guess my main point is, I watch the show more for the characters, since they really have it kind of down to how bizarre that whole region can be.

My only real problem with the show is that it seems to be forgetting that it's supposed to be a documentary. I understand you need to have certain plot vehicles in order to advance the characters and storylines, but it's been more of a traditional sitcom as of late. It still has it's moments, but I think it needs to "return to it's roots"

I also think that the show had to change due to the economy. Back in 05-06, everything was great, jobs were plentiful and it was just something you did; if you got fired or quit, you could find a new job right away. Today, if you lost your job, you'd be ****ed, and so I think the show is doing a great job of harnessing that feeling. The only thing is that it's making the show suffer because it's kind of depressing.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers