Thread: It's not about Jonny Quest anymore.

It's not about Jonny Quest anymore.

So I have been wondering WTF happened to Cartoon Network. You know the one that is suppose to be all cartoons all the time.

I walked into my sons room the other day to see him watching a variation of Jackass made for kids, which was also live action. Then over the next few nights I payed attention to it and saw movies like Home Alone II playing on it.

Given over the course of the last few years CN has slowly turned to shite, for example turning the late night anime in to a continuous slew of shorts consisting of poorly punned **** and fart jokes.

I slowly see CN drifting away from its roots and see it heading the way that MTV and Fox did over the last decade.

So I am wondering if I am the only one upset about the turn over to the new format or am I alone in the thought that some of the great classics are being replaced by meaningless crap that is not only not funny but not appropriate for a station that is suppose to be dedicated to the entertainment via animation?????!!!!!
    Last edited by Meier Link; 04-11-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Registered User It's not about Jonny Quest anymore.

Re: It's not about Jonny Quest anymore.

You should look into watching the Nicktoons Network, or the sister station of Cartoon Network called Boomerang. Both still play cartoons pretty much all day, every day, and Boomerang plays a lot of the classics.

There's some pretty decent shows that play on Cartoon Network, I think. I'm actually a pretty huge fan of Chowder. :3 As for Adult Swim, it's been forever since I felt the urge to tune into anything they have playing, the exception being The Venture Bros.

I'm not particularly upset, because like I stated earlier, there's alternatives to be enjoyed, but yeah, it's kind of weird seeing some of these shows being passed on to the youth as being "quality" animated programs. Chowder is awesome though.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I want to play a game. It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Zargabaath's Avatar

I am pretty upset about the live-action being shown on Cartoon Network, as if they are trying to become Nickelodeon. A lot of their newest shows have been pretty bad like: The Garfield Show, Johnny Test, Total Drama Action/Island. The shows that I find to be pretty good are: Chowder, Flapjack, sometimes Foster's and I saw the very old short for Adventure Time and that looks to be interesting.

As for Adult Swim, the late-night stuff, a lot of great shows have been shown on there: AQTH, Sealab 2021, VENTURE BROS!!!!, Frisky Dingo, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, Superjail, etc. I think they need to show more anime on Adult Swim besides just on Saturday night, perhaps Thursday and Friday. I'm not a fan of King of the Hill and I would just get rid of that show or at leats have only 1 episode a night, not two.

But yeah, there needs to be some letters/emails sent to CN's HQ saying they need to get back to the Cartoon part in their name. Otherwise Cartoon Network could have a similiar fate as MTV which very rarely have anything to do with music.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Let's make it rain. It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Jonathanx221's Avatar

Cartoon Network used to be amazing, I would watch it all day long, and now it's like... SUPER LAME. The only thing I watch is super jail because it's hilarious when you're drunk. That's it. I miss the good ol' cartoon network days. TV alone is lame to me, I don't watch it really anymore. If I wanna see something good, I'll get on netflix or check out stuff online. You can't find anything good anymore. =[

The Quiet One It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The end of the Cartoon Network we grew up on was seen when they moved Toonami from weekdays out to Saturday and slapped in the annoying Miguzi replacement aimed at Elementary School and Pre-schoolers only. >.> That and a bunch of non-anime junk.

Ever since that happened Cartoon Network has been changing for the bad. Toonami got completely removed a few years back now and I fear that actual good part of Adult Swim (Saturday) will be following that soon. Fortunately, they are picking up new anime still so that is a sign that they made not over yet.

I would love to know what sparked this change in CN to completely abandon one of their most followed line-ups. I think a lot of people remember watching anime on Toonami or Adult Swim for the entire block regardless of whether you had seen it before or not because you thoroughly enjoyed it all.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

I stopped watching anything aired before Adult Swim long before Cartoon Network started to turn to crap.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Go with me, Exkaizer~ It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Treize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I would love to know what sparked this change in CN to completely abandon one of their most followed line-ups. I think a lot of people remember watching anime on Toonami or Adult Swim for the entire block regardless of whether you had seen it before or not because you thoroughly enjoyed it all.
    I would like to know too. I thought that Toonami was one of their most watched time blocks.

It seems like Cartoon Network has moved towards having all of their shows trying to be "funny" by having complete idiots for characters. I can't remember the last new show on Cartoon Network that had an actual plot or relied on comedy that wasn't just stupidity.

Their live action shows are probably even worse than their cartoons too, which is pretty hard to be. It's Cartoon Network, so they should focus on cartoons... There are other channels that have the live action kid's stuff down already.

I also agree with Andromeda about Adult Swim. It's turned into pretty much the same thing as the regular Cartoon Network. It just relies on stupidity for cheap laughs. Bring back anime every day! At least most anime have an actual plot, developed character, etc.

I'm starting to wonder how this change in programming was made. Do people really prefer comedy based on idiocy more than shows that have a plot and thought out comedy?
    Last edited by Treize; 04-11-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Yeah, WTF at that "Dude what would happen" series? It's like so 90s. And even if it aired back then people would STILL find it lame. But then it seems to match Disney's goofy live action comedy/sitcoms (They've got Phineas and Ferb though which is TOO AWESOME for CN. I watch Batman Brave and the Bold and maybe Marvel Super Hero Squad and that's IT.

Sir Prize It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't you guys see what's happening here? It's revolutionary. It's never been done before. A channel(non-living set of pre-arranged media and information) has literally grown up with a generation of humans. Like a best imaginary friend. First there were the small shows that any kid would love. Dexter's Lab...Powerpuff Girls...etc... Then Cartoon Planet. And Toonami... Then there was Adult Swim and edgier shows like Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law then Sealab 2021 and now we have Metalocalypse and Venture Brothers...etc...

Lol...nah, j/k. They did what every channel does...they follow the ratings.

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 04-13-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

The Bad Boy of TFF It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Block's Avatar

Space Ghost: Coast 2 Coast is the god father of Adult Swim. As for the changes happening to CN I'm biased. I love Venture Bros. it's like one of the most well written shows in ages. If CN hadn't undergone it's transformation then that show wouldn't exist and that's all there is to it.

Yeah, they've been making it worse and worse.

They had a few new shows after the Jonny Bravo/Dexter/etc era, like Kids Next Door, that were pretty good, but they've been slowly moving more and more towards live action shows and showing live action flicks.

I don't understand how you can turn on CARTOON network and see live-action shows.

Adult Swim has been getting progressively worse over the years too, stupid shows like Saul of the Molemen, Tim and Eric, Tom Goes to the Mayor, that stupid "Guy stuck in the Internet" show that didn't run long, Stroker and Hoop, and pretty much every other show they've had lately, as well as showing things like the original British Office (Which isn't funny, no British Comedy is to me) and other British "comedy" shows.

All of the best Adult Swim shows don't get flagged for more seasons or get aired enough (WTB moar Lucy, Daughter of the Devil, Robot Chicken, and Metalacolypse) and they just keep finding idiots with shitty ideas and greenlight them a season or two or three or five in the case of Tim and Eric (Worst show on Television, 16 and Pregnant on MTV is more entertaining) and repeat the process.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-21-2010 at 01:07 AM.

The Bad Boy of TFF It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Block's Avatar

Learn to enjoy the subtle nature of British Comedy. Ricky Gervais is a baller and a comedic genius.

Death Before Dishonor It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used to be a huge fan of CN. But lately all the shows are shit. They still have Pokemon which is a plus but come on. Other than Pokemon I don't watch anything that comes on CN. Other than Adult Swim.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Blog Entries

It may not be about him anymore, but he still thinks we're sellouts. Which is ironic, seeing as CN are the ones who sold out... Though they have spawned an awesome parody of said accusor of selling out (although it's grown into a parody of other things, as well, and is pretty much outright an entity of its own by now.)

I don't have access to cable TV often anymore, so it really doesn't effect me. Whenever I watch TV, though, I generally pick Sponge Bob over whatever the hell crap they have on CN at the time. Or sports, depending about what time/day/season it is. DVD's/Youtube are my friend. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Do the elements trust you? It's not about Jonny Quest anymore. bahamuts heir's Avatar

It's been a year and a half since I've watchd regular tv(netflix) I remember waking up at 4:30-5 just to watch anime when a.s. changed away from anime(the day it happened) I stopped watching,half a year later there has been nothing on tv without classic cn and I willingly forsook cable.
    You just don't get it at all! There isn't a thing I don't cherish

cuz I'm bored
    lamest death threat: (final fantasy1)"I, Garland, shall knock you all down!"
    my ff family: pm me if you want to join I might think about it
    me
    my imaginative older brother ethan
    My awesome, Final Fantasy IX loving twin, ViviMasterMage
    Short, Innocent-looking, English-obsessed Brother, Fate.
    Fluffy, Vanilla-colored Moogle, Meigumi/Bob
    my hyper and random sister, Firefly
    my Sephiroth obsessed and Okami playing cousin, Dodie16
    Soul-devouring, knuckleburning younger brother, Alther
    -98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature