Thread: Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.)

Shake it like a polaroid picture Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) RagnaToad's Avatar

Post Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.)

This thread will no longer be supervised by me, and thus be meaningless, due to the new TFF's Movie Database thread.

It's time for an actual Poll to see what is considered the best film of all time on TFF. This thread is for the sake of getting a list of 15 films to then eventually make a Poll. Please read the guidelines prior to posting:

1. Every poster should state what movie he/she is nominating to be in the Poll and why.
    2. If you're just listing a top 5, the one on top or the one mentioned earliest in your post will be considered your choice.
    3. Further discussions on films mentioned are allowed and encouraged to be held in this thread.

Films nominated so far
    -A Clockwork Orange
    -Jaws
    -The Godfather, Part II
    -Donnie Darko
    -American Gangster
    -The Wizard of Oz
    -The Boondock Saints
    -The Shawshank Redemption
    -2001: A Space Odyssey
    -Titanic
    -Citizen Kane
    -Scarface
    -Gladiator
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 08-03-2009 at 07:51 AM.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Red XIV's Avatar
    Deciding what is the best film of all-time is no easy question. I'd say there probably is no single greatest film in the history of film, although I believe you could probably narrow down a number one film from the various genres of film. But, for the sake of a TFF poll, sure, I'll give it a shot.

Now, I'm having a little trouble deciding between my favorites and what I feel is the best film. Critics like to say Citizen Kane here, but I haven't yet seen that one (not to mention, I highly doubt it can live up to the ridiculous amount of praise it gets from critics). Hmmm...

I'm gonna go with Jaws. It is the most suspenseful movie of all-time (yeah, I'm looking at you, Mr. Hitchcock), and I can say quite confidently that it is also the scariest movie of all-time. No single film has done more to scare peole away from the water than Jaws. The beach industry must curse Steven Spielberg's name. Not to mention, Jaws created the blockbuster genre. Movies like Transformers owe a lot to that shark.

I'll throw in a number two choice, just 'cause: American Beauty. It's one of my favorites, but I also feel it is the perfect example of an American drama. Deep, dark and dramatic, and yet, at the same time, it's still something that's enjoyable thanks to the humor.
    Signatures are for insurance salesmen.

The Godfather Part II is the greatest film ever made. Every scene is filled with symbolism, meaning, and a sublime sense of the deconstruction of America. People who think that the Godfather series are merely the cream of the crop of gangster films are mistaken; it is the story of the United States of America, with its hopes, dreams, flaws, and reality all laid bare.

Also, it is a shame this post fell so far down. Good thing I was bored.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) ZantetsukeN's Avatar
    Personally, I think the first Godfather film is the greatest film of all time. It is just such an iconic film. Once you watch the film, every scene can be remembered, which for me makes a really good film.

My favourite film, however, is Donnie Darko. I think it deserves a mention too. It tells a really great story that keeps you guessing at the end, so you have to watch it over and over again.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Xanatos's Avatar
    Well unlike many that will nominate one of Godfather movies, I will, no I must nominate personalty my favorite gangster movie - American Gangster. I know many will disagree with me but I think that American Gangster is better movie than the Godfather. This movie has intense and interesting story and I couldn't believe the story was based on true events. So everything you watch was really happening 1968. year in America.
    Honest cop against Franck Lucas and dirty bribed cops, and the best part is when Frank Lucas joins the honest cop to bring down to justice all bribed, corrupted cops. Cast of the movie is simply amazing, all top actors. Denzel Washington as Frank Lucas and Russell Crowe as Richard "Richie" Roberts (the good cop), there is nothing more to add here. I know this is newer movie (2007) and it didn't have impact as Godfather, but as I was saying I like this movie personalty more than Godfather and that's way I'll nominate it.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 07-12-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Registered User Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.)
    I nominate the 1939 classic "The Wizard of Oz"

This film is an adaptation from book by L. Frank Baum, and is widely considered to be the greatest fantasy film of all time. I haven't read the book, but I do enjoy the movie very much.

I don't think I have to explain the plot, because this film is very well known, so I won't.

I will, however, talk about the parts of the movie that I really enjoy.

I love all the music that is in this movie. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" are my two favorites.

I love how the film makers moved the coloration from the old-timey, brown overtones, when Dorothy was in Kansas, to glorious technicolor when Dorothy lands in Munchkinland. I think it really added a lot of juxtapostion to the film.

The Characters are wonderful. You have Dorothy, the heroine of the story; Scarecrow, who follows Dorothy to the Emerald City to get himself a brain; Tinman, who wants a heart, and the Cowardly Lion, my favorite character, who needs some courage. Oh, and there's Toto. Thier adventures together makes you wish this film could just keep on going. The Wicked Witch of the West makes a great antagonist, and she has an army of flying monkeys. How awesome is that?

The whole movie is a treat to watch, and a classic to this very day.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Hmm seems like I will be stepping out of the curve here and say Boondock Saints. Even though I wanted to throw out something more classic like Braveheart or Gladiator. To me Saints needs to be on this pole for some reason or another and if I don't say it I don't think it will make the cut.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

I invented Go-Gurt. Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Clint's Avatar
    The Shawshank Redemption is the greatest film ever made. It's a great story, with fantastic plot twists, where every little thing that the main character is seen doing throughout the movie comes together to make perfect sense at the end, and has the greatest ending to a movie in the history of cinema. And that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) RagnaToad's Avatar
    I'm glad to see this thread alive again.

I removed the rule of every member only posting once in this thread for the sake of keeping this thread alive.

I must agree with Mr. Nixon there. The Godfather, part II is full of, well, everything a good movie should have. I found the second part to be more pleasing than the first one storywise. (Also because you get to take a look at the starting criminal Corleone.)

I have never seen The Boondock Saints and , quite frankly, never heard of it until now, so thanks, Meier, I'll need to check that one out.

And I find it odd that a rather young movie like American Gangster is chosen to be in the list but I'm not judging or anything as this thread is supposed to be a democracy and I haven't even seen that film (yet).

Jurassic Park

nah just kidding, I'm gonna skip this thread. Don't really see the point in them as in the end its a matter of taste and you haven't seen every movie. The choices given so far highlight that.. The motha flippin shawshank? are you having a laugh?

Would be best for this thread to focus on a certain genre or multiple genre's but each in their own league

#LOCKE4GOD Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    Would be best for this thread to focus on a certain genre or multiple genre's but each in their own league
    I agree, because my favourite movie is actually a (very dry) Australian comedy called The Castle. I've met six people who have seen it . It's actually really funny, and has some nice themes running through it. But next to The Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather trilogy it's fundamentally different, even though I love those two (well, four) films and have seen them countless times. So ignore The Castle, put my vote for Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, that is one excellent film.

I invented Go-Gurt. Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Clint's Avatar
    Don't really see the point in them as in the end its a matter of taste and you haven't seen every movie. The choices given so far highlight that.. The motha flippin shawshank? are you having a laugh?
    You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? I'll tell you why I nominated Shawshank Redemption. Because if I didn't, somebody else would have. It was nominated for 7 academy awards in 1994, but didn't win, it took the 72nd spot on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies list in 2007, outranking Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction, which were the big winners at the 1994 academy awards, and the reason Shawshank didn't win any, ranked 4th on Roger Ebert's greatest movies of all time list last year, and is currently the number one ranked movie on IMDB with a rating of 9.2 out of 10. I know that this thing is all opinionated, but if you really think that Shawshank Redemption isn't good enough to be on this list, then you're out of your ****ing mind.

Jurassic Park

nah just kidding, I'm gonna skip this thread. Don't really see the point in them as in the end its a matter of taste and you haven't seen every movie. The choices given so far highlight that.. The motha flippin shawshank? are you having a laugh?

Dude, don't scare people like that. Jurassic Park...

And of course a Best movie poll will be mostly arbitrary as it will be based on the opinion of a couple of TFF members who care. But so will ANY list. When Rolling Stone makes up a list of the 100 best guitarists of all time, it will be based on different things than it would be based on if it were made up by young people who play the guitar themselves. It's not the definite list. No one has to agree with it. So if we make a Poll for the best movie all time, sure, it's subjective. But what list isn't?

I'm surprised Fight Club hasn't been nominated yet. It is both commercially appealing as an original, professional cinematic masterpiece so lots of people should like it.

Kind of like The Beatles.
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 08-01-2009 at 09:43 PM.

All is One.One is All. Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Firefly's Avatar
    I nominate Titanic(1995 or something).My fav movie of all time!Romance,drama,action,and a little bit sight on history!What more could u ask?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Polk's Avatar
    I think people here have to watch more movies...

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    I'm surprised Fight Club hasn't been nominated yet. It is both commercially appealing as an original, professional cinematic masterpiece so lots of people should like it.
    Fight Club is probably my favorite movie of all time. As great as I think it is, however, I wouldn't call it the best movie ever.

I will put my nose out there and say Citizen Kane, though. Why? Because I'm boring and unoriginal. Also because it's a monument to film making and film evolution. It features brilliant innovations in filming, direction, story telling and visual effects. If you haven't seen it, shame on you.

It's also #1 on AFI's 100 years... 100 movies list. I'm just saying...
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

How can you have a list of top movies without Scarface? Possibly one of the most influencial movies (granted I'm not a fan of the fans) ever made with a huge following creating it's own culture.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? I'll tell you why I nominated Shawshank Redemption. Because if I didn't, somebody else would have. It was nominated for 7 academy awards in 1994, but didn't win, it took the 72nd spot on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies list in 2007, outranking Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction, which were the big winners at the 1994 academy awards, and the reason Shawshank didn't win any, ranked 4th on Roger Ebert's greatest movies of all time list last year, and is currently the number one ranked movie on IMDB with a rating of 9.2 out of 10. I know that this thing is all opinionated, but if you really think that Shawshank Redemption isn't good enough to be on this list, then you're out of your ****ing mind.
    I totally agree with Clint, Shawshank Redemption is one of the best movies ever and personally one of my favorites. If he didn't nominate this movie than I surely would. I don't only understand how was Shawshank Redemption in the shadow of Forest Gump and Pulp Fiction 1994. I mean those movies are also great but nothing compared to Shawshank Redemption. Everyone who hasn't heard about this movie or thinks that it isn't good enough for the list is simply crazy.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    Yawn, Awards are a load of bullshit and most are fixed by some wank who probably gives the award to whoever they want (eg. whoever pays the most ). I agree shawshank is a good movie, but its the most over rated movie ever. And lol at judging a film by imdb rating tbh, go to rotten tomatoes atleast if your gonna go down that road. I laugh at shawshank because everybody ****in nominates it, its like go out and see more movies you please!

I'm not saying it shouldn't be on the list of nominee's, im saying its pointless putting mixed genre movies head to head =/

Heck i see it being pointless with any awards, i think awards are the scourge of the music/movie industry and should be done away with

EDIT:

Dude, don't scare people like that. Jurassic Park...
    Obviously a joke, my friend gave that as an answer to "Whats your fav movie of all time?" questions. We all gave decent movies and then he came out with that, laughter ensued and i say it as a joke to these types of questions alot now =PP

James K is on the right track with Citizen kane, its among the greats like Bladerunner, 1984 etc these never get nominated as most havent even bothered to watch them or are too stupid to even interpret the message given.

Thats why i dislike awards like this, as its only gonna have hollywood blockbusters Jaws is on the list too ffs =P
    Last edited by nix; 08-02-2009 at 04:58 AM.

I'm going to go ahead and throw in... Gladiator. From the year 2000... this is a fantastic film which has been in my top ten since the day I first saw it.
    There are excellent battle sequences (not too OTT), epic music to accompany the pictures, revenge and great emotional moments.
    It won 5 Oscars for Best Actor (Russel Crowe), Best Costume Design, Best Effects/Visual Effects, Best Picture and Best Sound. Not only that but it was up for other nominations as well.
    A true epic to be remembered.

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

nix is right about Awards like Oscars not meaning a lot. It's mostly the commercially successful films that get lots of Oscars too. But I don't see why you have such a problem with this idea for a TFF Poll about the best films of all time. Sure, there will be a lot of typical, unoriginal blockbuster choices, but it's not like we're the ****ing government. We're TFF.

I advise some people to reconsider their choice and pick a film they really like, but has more chance of getting votes on this forum. American Gangster can be a great movie, but it seems unjust and not smart to pick that movie. Since it's really young and not many people will have seen it, hence it will be lost beforehand...

I'm also wondering if Citizen Kane will get ANY votes on this forum. After all, it's a gamebased forum.

Oh, well...

#LOCKE4GOD Nominate the best film of all time. (Read first post.) Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm also wondering if Citizen Kane will get ANY votes on this forum. After all, it's a gamebased forum.
    If it was in some way going to be a top 5 or top 10 list, then I'd vote Citizen Kane for sure. If, however, it's a best movie ever poll, then we'll have 10 options and votes are likely to be spread evenly. The best films are ultimately all VERY good, so separation is absolutely arbitrary. Difficult task you've set yourself, Rags.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Weapon View Post
    If it was in some way going to be a top 5 or top 10 list, then I'd vote Citizen Kane for sure. If, however, it's a best movie ever poll, then we'll have 10 options and votes are likely to be spread evenly. The best films are ultimately all VERY good, so separation is absolutely arbitrary. Difficult task you've set yourself, Rags.
    Actually, polls can have up to 15 options. But still, that wouldn't give us enough options.

I think I'm just going to make it in a top 5 thread, counting votes. That way, we'll eventually get a ranking.