Thread: Avatar

DAYUM I LEAVE FOR 3 YEARS AND THIS PLACE DIES Avatar Ethan Blitzball King's Avatar

Who's seen Avatar i went and saw it three times i thought it was great i especially like the part when at the end the army sargent was trying to kill jake and he just couldn't i thought that part was great

I'll make you famous Avatar Rydia Lover's Avatar

Re: Avatar

this i thread should probably be moved to the movie section.

on that note however i though this movie was extremely overrated. dont get me wrong i love james cameron and aliens is still one of my favorate movies to this day. but i dont think this movie is near as groundbreaking and original as people say it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermetal
    But I think this girl is uber hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour.Delirium
    You ARE my number one, Rydia Lover. <3
    current games playing:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Assassins Creed Revolutions
    Saints Row: The Third
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Fallout New Vegas

The Bad Boy of TFF Avatar Block's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia Lover View Post
    aliens is still one of my favorate movies to this day.
    That is getting you some plus rep.

I've seen that movie like 20 times already. Fern Gully anyone? Or Dances With Wolves? Or maybe Pocahontas? How many times can we make a movie where a guy is sent to a foreign location to infiltrate the locals way of life to exploit them later, but midway through the film he falls in love with the culture and a woman and defects to the other side. I mean come on.

for me, the only thing it really had going for it was that it was really pretty visually. other than that... predictable storyline, cliche characters....i felt as if i had saw this movie many times in the past.

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red

Che

If you watch Avatar muted, and play Fern Gully on a different TV unmuted, I hear it syncs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    If you watch Avatar muted, and play Fern Gully on a different TV unmuted, I hear it syncs up.
    theres an urban legend about a movie that hasnt even been released yet!?
    its amazing what the internet can do.

has anyone heard of the avatar suicidals? look it up on the web its pretty pathetic
    current games playing:
    Fallout New Vegas

Che

Yeah, they commited suicide because Earth will never be like Pandora.

It's amazing when a movie you write does something groundbreaking like that.

DAYUM I LEAVE FOR 3 YEARS AND THIS PLACE DIES Avatar Ethan Blitzball King's Avatar

aww come on guys avatar wasn't that bad i thought it was pretty good i especially like all the magical stuff like the tree that communicates with thier god

Che

Yeah, you would love it, wouldn't you?

If anyone on this entire forum liked Avatar for it's story, I'd assume it was you.

Amazing Movie, a good mix of action, sci fi, romance and even comedy! I loved this movie i saw it twice in 3-D i want to see it again some time soon.

Arch, Pronounced Ark

TFF Family
    My TFF Family:
    My Brotha! and Best Friend Black Waltz

Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    Amazing Movie, a good mix of action, sci fi, romance and even comedy! I loved this movie i saw it twice in 3-D i want to see it again some time soon.
    I weep for the future.

lmao it was a good movie what can i say lol different tastes, im not obsessed like i would commit suicide for it 0.o a lil nuts.

Arch, Pronounced Ark

TFF Family
    My TFF Family:
    My Brotha! and Best Friend Black Waltz

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Avatar Xanatos's Avatar

It's really irritating when you constantly know what's gonna happen next, unfortunately Avatar is like that. The story is already seen, sure the visuals are impressive but that's not what makes a good movie in my opinion. But then again I would lie if I would say that I didn't enjoy watching it, isn't not a bad movie but it's not great either, .

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

I liked how the fairly average story didn't detract from the special effects which were to me what really shined about the movie. If they made the story too good it might have taken away from all those lovely effects.
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries

Personally, I wouldn't want earth to become like Pandora. All those crazy gigantic trees? The color-LED Deadmau5-inspired flora? All of those dragons and shit flying high above me, waiting to snatch me up and eat me?

**** that.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Just came back from watching it. Biked over 20 miles to the theater. Had to bike back in pitch darkness.

I don't regret it at all.

FANTASTIC movie. I enjoyed it a lot

Now I see a lot of negative opinions in this topic mostly complaining about the story. So you must all think I'm crazy, right? Well I've noticed a lot of you guys hyped for FFXIII despite it's cheesy looking teen drama story. What gives? Watching Avatar makes me think FFXIII just MIGHT be enjoyable. I know I startle myself saying that.

Maybe hearing all the "Sci-fi Pocahontas" cries of the movie let me go in expecting it, tuning all the expected cliches out and enjoying everything else about the movie. From watching things like Anime (and non-Japanese Animated movies, I really do fancy animation as an art) I think I've "trained" myself to really enjoy movies as is. If something's a thriller, I expect to be on my seat. If it's an action movie I expect to get pumped and say wow. It's it's a light-hearted, family-friendly romp, I expect to have fun with it. I know when to turn that cynical "adult" mind off and to turn on that inner child that wants to experience wonder. I'm very in touch with that.

When I was watching Avatar, yeah thoughts of Ferngully and Pocahontas did cross my mind many many times, but I just couldn't help but really enjoy the atmosphere of the movie. The immersive world. The 3D helped a lot too. It's not just a gimmicky "Oooh the hand is reaching out the screen", but gives your brain such a sense of depth that it's SO close to looking through a window to something going on than just a movie being played on the screen.

I will admit though, the two real villains of the movie seemed like real cardboard cutouts. Very flat and uninspiring. I couldn't help but think of Spirits Within. Yeah THAT movie. In that movie, you kinda felt for James Woods' character being so trigger happy. I LIKE a good villain (which is why I hate Death Note with a passion) The "General" and the "Entrepreneur" were just tacky, undeveloped villains that seemed plucked straight out of a Captain Planet episode.

I found it funny, I kept thinking "Lord of Rings" until I saw the credits that WETA was behind the movie. Durp! Unlike Lord of the Rings though, which I've seen, liked, but just didn't find them "rewatchable" or worth purchasing my own copy, I'm actually looking forward to picking Avatar up when it hits Blu-Ray.

Blog Entries

Well Cain, here's my opinion. From when I posted about this very movie, a month and a half ago. My thread is even on the main page, still (But beyond that; damn this movie has staying power. Didn't it only get knocked off the #1 spot this last week?) But anyway, like I pretty much made known in opinion there, my biggest beef with the movie was not so much the fact that it "ripped off" Pocahontas, Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves, etc. (after all, there's nothing new under the sun. You could pretty much look at anything new, make some vague connection to something older, and call it "unoriginal." Though I'm not saying that's the case with people and this movie.) My biggest beef was the heavy-handedness of the delivery of its message. And the 2D characters, like the "entrepenuer" guy you mentioned.

...I didn't really read what anyone else said past the first few messages... I bet Block is correct in whatever assertion(s) he made, however. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

i really don't get why people would ditch a perfect movie like avatar i mean come on its soooooo worth the time
    My Blitzball Kingdom:
    My Final Fantasy Family Ralz the First Brother I had he is stuck marrying Yuna xTidus The second Brother I had he really Adores Blitzball genomes blade My youngest Brother he Really enjoys his Older Brothers' company And my Mystic Brother Vivimastermage of Chaostroph may you never play cards with him. And my Awesome Brother Fate who is just great to be around all the time I would be lost if it weren't for him and My awesome Older Brother Meier Link the Party animal And my Soul-devouring, Soon-to-be-game making brother, Alther Primus Also introduing The Graceful Lord of Chaosthroph who adores big Swords and Über Spells." Elyon My Awesome Learning Sister Himi And my Auron Loving Sister Dodie16 I introduce you to My younger sister Ann another fan of FF 10 My Fluffy, Vanilla-colored Moogle, Meigumi And my younger Sister Terra Branford the pie loving Fullmetal alchemist FF6 Obsessed If you want in and you are a fan of Blitzball send me a VM and you are welcome to come
    My Duck Legion Members:
    Ethan Can U Say Freak Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ethan View Post
    i really don't get why people would ditch a perfect movie like avatar i mean come on its soooooo worth the time
    woah woah woah, i didnt say this movie was bad, but its FAR from perfect. very few movies deserve that title and thos are Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Blade Runner (there are a select few of other but these ones came to mind).

whats really funny is that people try to get technical on me and say that this is the greatest film a\of all time simply biggest its the highest grossing film of all time, yet they seem to forget 50 years a movie ticket cost a quarter. if you whant to play that game than the MOST VIEWED AND QUICKEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME, is Goldfinger (another great movie and possibly the greatest in the series).
    current games playing:
    Fallout New Vegas

Lol Perfect and Avatar don't go together. The movie looked nice and had action in it. Story was not great since their are many other movies just like it. District 9's message was the same but that movie was 10 times better then Avatar.

Avatar was just a good movie, that's it.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia Lover View Post
    woah woah woah, i didnt say this movie was bad, but its FAR from perfect. very few movies deserve that title and thos are Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Blade Runner (there are a select few of other but these ones came to mind).

whats really funny is that people try to get technical on me and say that this is the greatest film a\of all time simply biggest its the highest grossing film of all time, yet they seem to forget 50 years a movie ticket cost a quarter. if you whant to play that game than the MOST VIEWED AND QUICKEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME, is Goldfinger (another great movie and possibly the greatest in the series).
    Rydia, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Avatar was best movie OF ALL TIME, of all time..

†SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Air from my lungs. Avatar Violet's Avatar

I liked the graphics.. the scenery.. the special effects..

That's about it. The story and the characters were blahhhhh.. but it's what I was expecting.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Rydia, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Avatar...
    Rocky, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Rydia's post was the best post OF ALL TIME, of all time...
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Rocky, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Rydia's post was the best post OF ALL TIME, of all time...
    Silver, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish... well go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    Lol Perfect and Avatar don't go together. The movie looked nice and had action in it. Story was not great since their are many other movies just like it. District 9's message was the same but that movie was 10 times better then Avatar.

Avatar was just a good movie, that's it.
    just watched district 9 last night and have to agree 100%, that movie was amazing, and the special effects blew me away.

i have an led tv so it can esily destinguish between good cgi, and terrible cgi. i couldnt even tell while watching district 9.
    current games playing:
    Fallout New Vegas

I thought the setting and special effects in the movie were really cool, but the plot wasn't very original...at all. And I agree with what you guys say about District 9. I also thought it was better than Avatar.
    Last edited by Mr Walrusman; 02-28-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Block View Post
    That is getting you some plus rep.

I've seen that movie like 20 times already. Fern Gully anyone? Or Dances With Wolves? Or maybe Pocahontas? How many times can we make a movie where a guy is sent to a foreign location to infiltrate the locals way of life to exploit them later, but midway through the film he falls in love with the culture and a woman and defects to the other side. I mean come on.
    Hey, if you'd rather watch Fern Gully or Pocahontas instead then be my guest...