Thread: PS3 won't start up...

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PS3 won't start up...

Wow, I seem to be posting here quite a bit... I'm so bloody useless...

Anyway, this morning I was playing Oblivion for about an hour, maybe two. I turned it off to do a few other things on here, and around the house. I came back about two hours later, and wanted to play some music while I did some more other things.

However... I turned the console on, and waited a while, but didn't hear the sound it usually makes when turning it on. About 10 secs later, a message came up saying "the correct Hard Drive couldn't be found" or something like that.

So, I came back online to find that this seems to be quite common. BUT I couldn't find a solution on the few sites I could get on (this laptop blocks everything), so I can't get on the BIG NAME Console sites.

What I did find was that some people found that it eventually worked after a little wait, or by switching the console on and off, and/or by dusting the PS3 out. Do these methods work?

Also, if I was to take the Hard Drive out to dust around, how difficult would that be? Would that do any lasting damage to the console?

Any help would be great, and I was wondering if any of you guys had had the same problem at some point?

Thanks in advance!

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    Also, if I was to take the Hard Drive out to dust around, how difficult would that be? Would that do any lasting damage to the console?
    Not difficult, just avoid touching any connectors or anything. And be fairly careful if you've never handled one before. It could just be that something's dirty or not attached properly, but there's also a chance your hard drive has died. I'd try everything else before I came to that conclusion if I were you though, as console hard drives seem to usually be a deal more expensive than normal PC ones.
    victoria aut mors

Lady Succubus PS3 won't start up... Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also, make sure to get rid of any static that you may have on you. Ground yourself before you touch anything. Otherwise your HD will wipe itself clean and may not even work anymore.

Blog Entries
    Hey thanks guys, but I won't chance it. Sony is going to drop off another one and take my one away. If I fiddle with anything, they won't except it as their fault its broken, and they won't take it. It would be my reponsibility if I broke it further is what I mean...

What I don't get is why would it die? Its been in the same place since I got it home back in March and I didn't use it THAT much.

I'm just gutted that all my FFVII data is gone...

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Your PS3 died? My hard drive died two or three weeks ago and I got a replacement with more space, yay! Been spending over a week reinstalling everything. I had a problem with my original PS2 (the ones that were fat in size), over time it gradually stopped reading ANY disc i put in it (so basically it died). But I got a new PS2 for a birthday and it's been working well since that birthday.

Blog Entries
    I have had such a bad history with my PS2, and if this continues on to the PS3, my faith in Sony will crash.

Mum got me and Jamie a PS2 one Christmas (mainly cos we were sad because Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was only gonna come out on that lolz), and that lasted about 3 months. So, we sent that back, and got another from Sony. Then, 2 weeks later, that one died, so we sent it back again. The next one lasted 2-3 months, and we got another. This next one, however, came with a letter of apollogy from Sony AND a brand new shiney one.

That new one lasted 3 whole years, and then it did die. Then we bought a slimline silver one, and thats been working ever since.

The only Sony console with no problems in my house is the PSOne. Yep, it still works to this day! Only one or two games it won't play, but at least I can say I have one and it still works - most people chucked those out once they got a PS2!

Now... is there a way to get my PS3 to play PS2 games?

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    I have had such a bad history with my PS2, and if this continues on to the PS3, my faith in Sony will crash.

Mum got me and Jamie a PS2 one Christmas (mainly cos we were sad because Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was only gonna come out on that lolz), and that lasted about 3 months. So, we sent that back, and got another from Sony. Then, 2 weeks later, that one died, so we sent it back again. The next one lasted 2-3 months, and we got another. This next one, however, came with a letter of apollogy from Sony AND a brand new shiney one.

That new one lasted 3 whole years, and then it did die. Then we bought a slimline silver one, and thats been working ever since.

The only Sony console with no problems in my house is the PSOne. Yep, it still works to this day! Only one or two games it won't play, but at least I can say I have one and it still works - most people chucked those out once they got a PS2!

Now... is there a way to get my PS3 to play PS2 games?
    Did they already send you a new PS3? If so, did your old PS3 play PS2 games? Cuz if it did and this one doesn't they may have sent you a replacement that doesn't have PS2 backwards compatibility, which would really suck.

Lady Succubus PS3 won't start up... Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I still have my original fat PS2 that I first got. It's never died.

Though I have to ask you. When you say it dies, do you mean you get a DRE? (Disc Read Error) or do you mean that it doesn't even turn on anymore? If it's the prior, then all you have to do is clean your lens.

That's how I've had my PS2 for so long. It's 2008 right now, and I've had it since I've been a member at TFF. 2002. And it's my FIRST one, mind you. And it still plays discs like new.

I still have my PSOne as well.

Edit: Entity, only select PS3s can play PS2 games. And that is the out of print 60gb model, and I think there's a 20 or a 80 that did as well, but... If they sent you a newer recent model, then no. Your PS3 can't play PS2 games anymore. At all. Ever. You'll have to get a new PS2 or hunt down a 60gb PS3.
    Last edited by Victoria; 08-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zSoraz View Post
    Did they already send you a new PS3? If so, did your old PS3 play PS2 games? Cuz if it did and this one doesn't they may have sent you a replacement that doesn't have PS2 backwards compatibility, which would really suck.
    They sent me a brand new PS3 this time, but it don't play PS2 games, but then again, the one that broke didn't play them either. So its no great loss - still pissed about all my data though... ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Sheena View Post
    Though I have to ask you. When you say it dies, do you mean you get a DRE? (Disc Read Error) or do you mean that it doesn't even turn on anymore? If it's the prior, then all you have to do is clean your lens.
    Nah, we bought a lens cleaning disc, and that didn't help either. We even tried cleaning the discs with solution, but still had no luck.

I still have my PSOne as well.

Edit: Entity, only select PS3s can play PS2 games. And that is the out of print 60gb model, and I think there's a 20 or a 80 that did as well, but... If they sent you a newer recent model, then no. Your PS3 can't play PS2 games anymore. At all. Ever. You'll have to get a new PS2 or hunt down a 60gb PS3.
    Ah ok... Not even with updates and those patches?

Even so, I don't mind still using my PS2 to play the games, but it would be cool to just use the PS3 without playing around with wires... I could get an adapter for that though... Oh well...

Thankies!

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT