Thread: PS3 save files

#LOCKE4GOD PS3 save files Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PS3 save files

I'm not good with technology.

With that out of the way, I've got an issue coming up. My elder brother is getting ready to move out of home in about two weeks. He will take the PS3 with him, after paying me my share of it. He plays it more, and owns the majority of the games, so I don't actually care in the slightest. I'm not impatient to play XIII, even though I've pre-ordered my copy.

My question is about getting my save data/trophy information, downloaded games/videos/themes, etc., on to my new PS3, whenever I buy one (probably November/December 2010). Is it a simple matter of plugging in a flash drive, and copying and pasting? Or is it harder? Or impossible to retrieve entirely?

I could just try looking online. But where's the fun in that? Plus, someone else might find this information useful. So, who knows?

The Quiet One PS3 save files Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: PS3 save files

You get a thumb drive and put it all on there. I don't recall how to transfer accounts to a thumb drive since it was usually something someone else did for me on work. But I know that you can just plug in the thumb drive and copy all of your saves and username over to it. There is probably an option in the system tools to transfer usernames.

I know that Sony on their site tells you how to replace your HDD if you wish to do so. They give you all of the instructions to go through. And I believe that backing up the data for your new HDD is part of that. So you can probably look on Sony's site for the exact details.

The save data is pretty easy because you can go into the options of the save files and move or copy it to a different location, that being the thumb drive. So that part shouldn't give you any trouble.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

The Old Skool Warrior PS3 save files LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The trophies... did you have your own account on his system, or just use his?

If you just used his PSN account, then the trophies are his forever and you'll have to start fresh on your own. If you had your own profile and your own PSN account, then you're already good to go, as those are tied to the actual account name, and not the console. You can authorize five PS3/PSP consoles with a single PSN account and download your store items onto those systems. You won't have to pay again for things you already purchased; the store even has a nifty spot to view all previous purchases so you can download them all at once.

As for save data, Andromeda nailed it.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

#LOCKE4GOD PS3 save files Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nah I had my own account on the PS3.

So.. all I need to do is put a flashdrive onto the PS3, copy my save files/videos/etc., let them sit on my laptop until I get my own PS3, copy them onto that, and trophies/downloads will handle themselves?

Sounds easy. Thanks!

Che

Might not be an option, but recently there was a PS3 update which stated "You can now transfer the data that is saved on one PS3™ system's hard disk to another PS3™ system’s hard disk using an Ethernet cable (sold separately)." You should pick up a PS3 now and just do that!

Otherwise, yes. Andro and Loco are both correct.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a back up option you could use to transfer everything in bulk. Last time I copied my save data to my memory stick, I don't remember seeing an option where you could mark certain save data to you could copy it in bulk. So you have to send it file by file. -_-

It transfers quickly though - like very quickly because they're not large files. You don't need to copy over the Game Data Utility because that'll get put back on the hard drive when you install the game again (unless you want to keep your options with some games).

Che's way is probably more effective, but would only really work if your brother let you borrow his PS3 for a few hours one day.

And Andro and Loco are right about the Trophy data. Trophies are saved to your account, so if you log in on your new PS3, everything should still be there. Imagine your PS3 breaking, and losing hundreds of hours worth of trophies... gotta suck. x__x

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.