Thread: Problems with my PS2

Registered User Problems with my PS2 Shiro's Avatar

Problems with my PS2

Hey everyone. My PS2 is quite old but has always been very reliable (it's one of the big old ones, not a slimline btw). Unfortunately it no longer wants to load games. It can register that there's a PS2 disc inside as I'm taken to the browser/configuration screen after the start-up screen, but when I select the disc it attempts to load, and just takes me back to the browser screen again. Sometimes it gets as far as the "PlayStation2" screen, and then it won't go any further. I've tried several games, the furthest I got was with FFX which reached the Squaresoft screen. FF12 *sometimes* makes it to the menu FMV and then freezes, and that's after about 5-10 times of resetting because it won't load at all. I have cleaned the lens and left it on for hours to "warm up" but this still hasn't fixed the problem. Can anyone give me some advice? I'm dying to play my games again and I hate PS emulators.
    Oh yes and this is the first time I've tried to use it in 3 months, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I also live in a humid climate, someone said that can affect the machine if it is not used often enough. Don't know how true it is.
    Last edited by Shiro; 03-09-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Lady Succubus Problems with my PS2 Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Problems with my PS2

Well it sounds like it's true enough. It may sound like your system's age is catching up with it. I have a fat PS2 as well but mine still works just fine, but again I don't live in a humid climate.

If cleaning the lens didn't fix it, I'm pretty sure you'll just have to get a new one. =(

It can still read PS1 games though...

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy Problems with my PS2 Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries

I'm with Victoria on this one. I used to own one just like yours, but age was catching up with it quickly. By 2007, we felt the need to buy a new one.

The slim ones are actually pretty durable, but it's up to you if you want to get it at $100+.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Unfortunately I live in South Africa, where even a second-hand PS2 console is a bit out of my price range! Gaming is a very expensive pastime here.
    I'm trying to set up an emulator on my laptop but I'm really battling

deathlord

Cool Re: Problems with my PS2

The one good thing for the ps2 if it still works is that it can play foreign games such as the japanes bleach games that they show at the cosplay cons or any of the state con such as ctcon, portcon, miamicon and many more. I found this out at these places and only the fat version can do it and not the slim. Never tried it though just rumors of people saying it actually works. You can find some of these games and at video game network in NYC.

Lady Succubus Problems with my PS2 Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but what you said; PS2s can only play import games if they are modded or use a boot disc. There's no way around that.