Thread: Oh goody! virus! I'm so excited.

Oh goody! virus! I'm so excited.

Problem 1: I think my hardrive/disk is is on it's was to retirement. I'm not 100, but my laptop is making grinding noises. The sound has gotten slightly louder than before and it's more of an electronic sounding buzz. I'm guessing it could also be my fan as well since my computer did make a LOUD buzzing sound one day and after my fan became weaker.

Other than the very faint grinding sound I don't really have any oddities except for my computer being a little slower. Internet takes longer to open and I was having small crashing issues before such as windows explorer and Firefox issues. I did scanned for this before in normal and safe mode and got nada.

In any case I could care less if this computer blows out since I'm not going to spend money to fix it if something happens. I'll just end up buying a new one since this laptop was cheap to begin with.

Problem 2: What IS annoying is that I turned on my computer this morning> opened Google> typed in mediafire dot com( in an attempt to upload some of my save files for back up, knowing my computer might explode any min.) and bam my Avast goes off. So I assume, "well duh it's file sharing site; it might have something going on right now" note: I didn't log in to anything. . So I leave it alone and go to FB and bambam Avast goes off again on the home page.

I opened Ad aware to run a smart scan and I found "win. 32 online gaming troj. Go figure.

I got rid of it through that, restarted, and now I'm running a full scan. While this was running, I was laying down and noticed that an Adaware web page was opening up on my browser and when it opened Avast blocked a threat again. Now I may have accidentally hit the help icon at the bottom of the scan window, since I did slightly hit the touch pad while I was trying to un screensave my computer just before it opened. I'm really more concerned with the fact that Avast still went off.

The only thing that came to mind was that Google redirect virus but idk enough about it. When the scan is complete I might just completely reinstall the OS again if it doesn't die in the process. I'm not sure what's best though.

Suggestions?/ Ideas?
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 04-11-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

The Old Skool Warrior Oh goody! virus!  I'm so excited. LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Oh goody! virus! I'm so excited.

I believe there's a virus within Avast itself.

My girlfriend and three other friends ALL had the exact same issue in any given web browser... go to a webpage, and Avast flips its shit. I uninstalled it from her computer, installed AVG, ran a scan, and found absolutely nothing wrong with her system.

I would find an alternative to Avast, even if only temporarily.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

アズテオル Oh goody! virus!  I'm so excited. Azuteor's Avatar

I have had that Google redirect virus for a long time now using Firefox. About several weeks ago, I got redirected to a site that gave me a pretty annoying virus where it would shut down my internet browsers and open up a window pretending to be a legitimate anti-virus program. It was called Vista Virus Scanner 2010. The program tried to convince me to buy the complete version in order to remove the infections, but I didn't fall for it. The annoying part about this virus is that it keeps you from running .exe files. I was able to find the file that opens up the fake scanner using task manager and right-clicking on the application, clicked "go to process," clicked "open file location," turning off hide all files function, and finally deleting it that way. I was still unable to open up .exe files so I went and fixed it by getting a file association fix for .exe files. After that, I used Kaspersky to clear any viruses I may still have.

In your case, I don't think you're dealing with the Google redirect virus, but at least you know what it is and know one way to deal with. I would imagine that since you are using two anti-virus programs on a computer, it would result with weird errors and false positive detections. Here you go: Never install two AV programs.

Yeah I figured it might be Avast itself so I uninstalled it yesterday. My computer is fine now ^_^; thanks! at least I know now.

@ Azu: I normally keep one active running AV and Malwarebytes since it's manual, so technically I only have one active running AV. The only reason I had Adaware for that short period of time was because I did suspect something was up with Avast since it didn't pick up that Trojan -_- Nor did Malwarebytes.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Certified tech, come at me! Oh goody! virus!  I'm so excited. SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gypsy, you should use Microsoft Security Essentials. Its a really reliable security program and you can find a free version to use. Avast uses a lot of RAM which causes the slowdowns on your computer. Check the ratings on it and see if its something you'll want to use, I, myself, recommend it.

Just giving in my input.
    Currently Playing: