Thread: Norton 360

TFF's Token Imp Norton 360 Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Norton 360

Does anybody know why it seems to slow my entire Laptop down for no apparent reason? It can only be that because I installed it two days ago and I've had nothing but grief since then.

It's a big disappointment.
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?

Lady Succubus Norton 360 Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Because Norton is a RAM hog and eats it gluttoningly. Get rid of it and get Avast or AVG.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph Bei Fong View Post
    Because Norton is a RAM hog and eats it gluttoningly. Get rid of it and get Avast or AVG.
    Not the first to say that and I daresay you'll be the last. Thing is I paid £59.99 for it. I stupidly want my monies' worth.

I hear very good things regarding AVG. I shall take a look, thanks.
    Spoiler:

AVG was useless for me, it did NOT protect my computer very well and it got infected with a ton of little viruses and such which ended up crashing it so I decided to try Avast and it seems to be working okay so far but we'll see.

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Blog Entries
    That's because you probably didn't scan regularly. AVG doesn't scan everything automatically. You have to do scans yourself. Which is probably why you got all those viruses.

And if you had a firewall and/or used Firefox, you wouldn't get any. Although Avast scans everything automatically. Over and over. All the time.

Yeah, I use Firefox. Thanks for that, I had no idea it didn't scan everything automatically. >_< However it did scan itself about once a week.. it never found a thing though. Avast hasn't given me any problems so far but that doesn't mean anything I suppose. It's great though because it has extra features that AVG doesn't. I definitely wouldn't go back to Norton anyway because.. it sucks and likes to screw up on some people's computers. It has given us problems in the past but oh well.

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Godsmack Worshipper Norton 360 Omega Weapon's Avatar
    Lived by the rules you that you gave me and fell apart. All the wrong turns down a dead end street so far. I stretched my wings and breath in different day. Alone and broken is the price I pay but that's ok...
    Quote Originally Posted by FFGuru
    Does anybody know why it seems to slow my entire Laptop down for no apparent reason? It can only be that because I installed it two days ago and I've had nothing but grief since then.

It's a big disappointment.
    I really don't know what to say but I have Norton Internet Security with 3GB of ram, however it still makes my computer start up and shut down slow. There aren't any programs that will do exactly as Norton 360 will, All security software are different, And every single one will slow down your computer in some type of way. That is why it is recommended to install separate Antivirus, AnitSpyware, and Firewall programs instead of taking it in an entire bundle. I don't have different softwares like that because I feel more easy if I have an entire security suite.

I believe in CNET reviews and that's why I always end up back to Norton.

Editor's review of Norton 360

Symantec provides a 15-day free trial of Norton 360 that is full functioned. During the install we were not asked to provide any personal information, nor were we asked to install third-party toolbars, as is the case with Norton Antivirus 2008 and Norton Internet Security 2008. We were not asked to reboot after the install. Norton 360 is better than Norton Internet Security 2008 in some respects, namely that it's lighter on system resources, the tools are better integrated, and it presents a much better design model than the current Norton product line.

Norton 360 includes antivirus, antispyware, antiphishing, antispam, antirootkit protection, a firewall, Symantec's new SONAR (Symantec Online Network for Advance Response) behavioral monitoring software, and a vulnerability assessment tool to see what Windows updates your computer might be missing. But more advanced users should stay with the Internet security suites for now. There is no uninstall option, so you'll have to use the Windows Control Center's Add/Remove Software utility. After a reboot, we found all traces of the product were removed.
    Anyway, If you're looking for a good Antivirus then Try Avast Home Edition

Quote Originally Posted by FFGuru
    I hear very good things regarding AVG
    Well..Let's see then!

Originally Posted By Omega Weapon

Avast can be considered AVG's most haunting rival, most security experts will either recommend AVG or Avast or both as the best free anti virus. Personally, I can't tell which one is better in respect of detecting more viruses and protecting your PC better, but Avast can really boast about it's list of features and cool design. Avast is cool because:

- Just like AVG, Avast offers both On Demand virus scan and Email protection

- Unlike AVG, Avast scans almost everything automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph Bei Fong
    AVG doesn't scan everything automatically. You have to do scans yourself.
    - Unlike AVG, Avast has P2P (bticomet,kazaa,limewire and etc) and Instant Messaging (IM) protection - this feature gets a lot of extra points from me!

- Auto Updates

- Has Web Shield - a protection system against attacks from websites ( don't be surprise, there are websites made today which has a sole purpose - to make your life miserable)

If you are interested to try it then CLICK HERE!

Hope this will help you.
    Last edited by Omega Weapon; 02-27-2008 at 07:09 AM.

Magically Delicous Norton 360 Merlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph Bei Fong View Post
    That's because you probably didn't scan regularly. AVG doesn't scan everything automatically. You have to do scans yourself. Which is probably why you got all those viruses.
    Um, I don't know what version you all are using, but I've got the latest version of AVG Free and it scans all my hard drives(complete scan) every day at 8AM automatically... on both my computers. One would assume that a manual complete scan would be the same as the automatic one it runs every day, since it is set to scan every hard drive I have fully.

In fact if anything, the frequency at which it scans can become annoying to me on days I am in a hurry. The minute I log in in the morning, it starts doing a full scan of my computer.
    Last edited by Merlin; 03-01-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Godsmack Worshipper Norton 360 Omega Weapon's Avatar
    Lived by the rules you that you gave me and fell apart. All the wrong turns down a dead end street so far. I stretched my wings and breath in different day. Alone and broken is the price I pay but that's ok...
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    Um, I don't know what version you all are using, but I've got the latest version of AVG Free and it scans all my hard drives(complete scan) every day at 8AM automatically...
    Well, This is called a "Scheduled Complete Scan" which is not real-time protection. however, there is a feature called the AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run..

Back to Avast Home Edition:
    CNET Editor's review

With immediate real-time protection, clockwork updates, and much more, this free software is highly regarded in our book.
    If you're looking for a trusted real-time protection then use Avast.Period!
    Last edited by Omega Weapon; 03-02-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Weapon View Post
    Back to Avast Home Edition:

If you're looking for a trusted real-time protection then use Avast.Period!
    Aye, I totally agree, thank ye Omega!!

Got rid of Norton now, it may have ben free but it kept bombing my laptop out and to be quite honest it sucked.

Avast is actually rather good indeed. Thanks for the help and advice people, it's helped a lot
    Spoiler:

I wish I knew what it's like to have to worry about my computer's security.

The Old Skool Warrior Norton 360 LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Same here. AND I run Windows. It's amazing what disabling explorer.exe can do. Between that, ZoneAlarm's firewall, AVG's scanner, Spybot S&D's constant protection, and my awesome ability not to go to insecure websites, I haven't had any problems on this laptop. And I don't have any problems with my CPU being bogged down, even during scans... >_>
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Azn Man View Post
    I wish I knew what it's like to have to worry about my computer's security.
    I wish I didn't have to worry about my computer's security. It's annoying, and I'm constantly being told that I'm 'at risk'.

And Loco, my laptop sucks.. full stop.
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Haha. If it's windows telling you you're at risk, then it's bull. All you have to have is common sense and use Firefox, and Avast or AVG. That's all you need. And possibly spybot S&D.

Then you're safe. Regardless of what windows says. =P

And honestly, you don't even need a firewall.. a real hacker can get through that like a knife in butter. Software firewalls are nothing. And another piece of advice is to have two accounts. One admin account to install everything, and a user account that can't install anything. And I think it's obvious how to use those two accounts.
    Last edited by Victoria; 03-07-2008 at 07:59 PM.