Thread: KDE vs Gnome for Linux Desktop Environments

KDE vs Gnome for Linux Desktop Environments

For the linux users out there: which do you normally go with? I recently wanted to give KDE a go and installed the Kubuntu package through Synaptic, and so far.... meh. KDE feels a lot more like Windows, and it's very pretty, but it has a lot of graphical glitches, and some of the software it installed just annoyed the crap out of me (Konqueror, as well as every other piece of software that starts with K...)

It took me freakin AGES to figure out what file had to be edited (or, in this case, created) to turn off tap-to-click for synaptic touchpad devices on laptops, whereas in gnome it's in the system interface and is a simple click.

The main thing I like about KDE vs Gnome so far is that the sound slider on the top of my laptop in gnome gives me an interface that shows it changing the volume, but it has no impact on the actual system volume, and if I slide it to nothing or hit the mute button next to it it does nothing, but in KDE it's changing the real system volume, and sliding it to 0% mutes the system.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages, I haven't spent enough time with KDE to make a good observation yet though. From what I've read though, KDE uses proprietary software and isn't really on Linus Torvald's good side anymore, for whatever that's worth.

What about you!?

Ex-SOLDIER KDE vs Gnome for Linux Desktop Environments Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Gnome.

KDE just feels too buggy and bloated to me...

Bass Player Extraordinaire KDE vs Gnome for Linux Desktop Environments Joe's Avatar
    I'm a huge fan of the KDE environment. Gnome just seemed kind of plain and klunky, but KDE 4.0 is absolutely Gorgeous. it's a little buggy, but overall I enjoyed it far more than gnome.

Granted I didn't like certain programs that came bundled like konqueror, but overall, I felt that kde worked more toward my ends than Gnome. just felt smoother, and again, it Was freakin' gorgeous.
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

There's a gnome netbook GUI I'm running on my new netbook with Ubuntu's Netbook Remix distro...

It's incredible. The GUI is slimmed down, all the icons are on the desktop, desktop icons replace the top frame with the dropdown menus... it's easy to navigate, and it's visually pleasing.

It makes a big difference because it's running on a little 10" monitor, so it frees up a lot of space for open windows.

Infernaeus
    I prefer gnome almost solely based on how nice it looks, but I believe KDE is generally superior in a lot of other ways. It's also incredibly customizable but I just couldn't be bothered to mess with it when I was setting up my Linux install earlier.