Thread: Issues with PS2

Consistently Average Issues with PS2 Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Issues with PS2

My PS2 failed on me the other day and I've been trying to figure out what when wrong. It turns on and starts up fine and everything, the sound works etc. but it can't read the PS2 disks or DVD's that I put in. I've tried cleaning the lense and removing all the dust but that hasn't done anything and when I pick it up to listen out for any wrong noises everything sounds fine eccept for that whirring noise that it makes when the disk spins. Does anyone know what can be done in this situation? Is it an easy fix or do I need to take it to someone to get it sorted, or am I just better off buying a second hand one? I feel that I've done all that I can do at this point so if anyone can provide any sort of help, it would be very much appreciated.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Chief Inspiring Officer Issues with PS2 Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Issues with PS2

Easy. Well, not to most, I admit, but this one's advice = free and you've already broken the seal, so what's to lose?
    First I must say that if it's a none slim-line model, then it could be a couple different things, actually.
    1. It could be the laser is too close or too far from the disc. That can be adjusted with an allanwrench or phillips head screw driver. the white screw/gear is above the laser. Have a marker on hand and mark it before you mess with it, just in case that wasn't your problem. If the laser is too far from the disc the system will say "no disc" if too close, the system will say disc read error. Also, don't twist it too far, never over a single revolution in any direction!
    2. If PS1 games play while 2's don't then it's probably one of these two bolts that control voltage. For this adjustment you'll need to remove the entire disc tray. The two flat screwdriver bolts are located and resting on the bottom of the laser on an orange circuit board. These control the voltage of the reading of DVD's and PS2 games. Some models will have DVD written in small letters, the bolt nearest that is yours and is located closer to the thin metal plate that covers the rest of the orange circuit board. After this, basically it's hit and miss. keep adjusting and experimenting with the DVD bolt "If your PS1 games don't work, mess with the other bolt slightly further away from the DVD letters and thin metal plate."
    If this seems too difficult, or doesn't work, you're better off purchasing another.
    Last edited by Cyanist; 11-08-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: miss-spell
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Re: Issues with PS2

My PS2 stopped playing DVDs and PS2 games.

I fixed the problem by buying a new PS2.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games