Thread: Html5

Che

Html5

Anyone tried this yet?

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Just click the "join the HTML5 beta" link at the bottom. Only a few browsers are supported (firefox isn't). But chrome is. Seems to load faster than flash. <3

Good because flash is pretty horrible to work with and the loading times suck.

Blog Entries

Re: Html5

Firefox isn't supported, that a little odd. But Chrome is huh? Isn't Chrome google's browser? This some sort of push by Google to get their browser more mainstream or something?

Is HTML5 just supposed to be faster or are there other benefits to having it?
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Che

I'm not quite sure, tbh. In the videos I've watched that support HTML5, there seems to always be a 2 second load at the start of the video, but then the entire video is completely loaded. It's 100% loaded in two seconds, no effing around at all. You can even speed up the video to play in fast forward.

I guess Steve Jobs is saying HTML5 is the end of Flash, because he hates it. I don't blame him. So far, it looks great!

Also, about Firefox. I guess they aren't going to have the money to buy the codec license or something?

Blog Entries

2 seconds and then everything is loaded is pretty crazy. I wonder what is up with it that it can manage that. There's got to be some strange voodoo magic going on in the code to make that possible. I wonder how it does on longer videos.

Steve Jobs hates flash huh? ^^; Have used flash to as a design program for websites and animation I can agree it is pretty messed up. Thinking the way it thinks will just make go crazy. But you can do some pretty cool stuff with flash. Flash as code or delivery medium *shrugs* I don't know how that is. I only used it art side.

Hopefully, Firefox picks up this new thing. I'm a one browser sort of person and I don't really want to be flipping between my preferred browser and a different browser to get HTML5 enabled sites or whatever. But if it is fast as you as it is all over the place, then it will probably really quickly become the new standard on the internet.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Che

HTML5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to go research it a bit myself. Sounds like the days of java and flash and video clunkiness and crashing your browser with them are over.

I welcome it with open arms.

My original thought was "This sucks, I hope Firefox gets around to supporting it so there's a Linux browser that can handle it."

Then I checked Google Chrome, and it seems they finally released a Linux package for Chrome (Chrome never worked correctly with Wine and Google was dragging ass on Linux support)

This looks interesting, I'll mess around with it more later.

I do hope Firefox winds up supporting it, it's my preferred browser and nothing will ever change that. As nice as everyone says Chrome is, nothing is more secure than Firefox w/ noscript, and being able to run mail-checking plugins that don't require desktop applications (just simple javascript embedded into firefox, no .exe in the process list) as well as adblock plus being ridiculously good at making my browsing better.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOHh0uzcuY is 41 minutes long, it took me 7 seconds to load it. I jump ahead and back about 20-30 minutes a jump, and it takes 2 seconds before it starts playing.

Freaking amazing.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-08-2010 at 03:32 PM.