Thread: Help me

Help me

http://www.ciao.com/Compaq_Presario_..._GHz__15436550

AMD Anthon XP 2000+ 1.67 GHz, 256 MB of RAM with service pack 2 home addition…WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP NO!!? Well guys I need your help. Instead of buying a new computer I decided to upgrade this potato powered “machine” I own. I have never done this before and would really appreciate your help. I don’t know much about computers so help me out with what I need to buy. One problem I have is I don’t have much money to upgrade it…

One question before this topic goes anywhere, is my computer too old to be upgraded? Is 2002 Compaq. I mean is not THAT old but technology these days moves fast.

Anyway with that out of the way what do I need. Lets say you and me are inside best buy right now, lead the way.

I am not trying to make a super gaming PC, I don’t have the money. The only game I actually play in my computer is Final Fantasy 11. The game plays on my computer so-so. I am looking forward to playing it on a much better resolution, with less problems.

I defrayment it from time to time and I keep it in good condition but the thing is just too weak!
    Last edited by Bang Bang; 03-10-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, first off the list to say, is that when you upgrade, you have to shop for parts that are compatible to your motherboard. ...And since your computer is from 2002, well...

Yeah. I'd say it's a bit old. It'd be too much of a hassle. I mean, you could keep the same case, but you'd have to literally get a new Mobo, because chances are that the parts available won't even be compatible. I mean, you could find parts that are compatible, but they'd still be obsolete compared to the ones available now. And they'd cost more since they're "out of print".

...And with that in mind, may as well just get a new computer with a newer spiffy case. =P

But that's just my opinion. In old computers like that, the parts would probably add up to about the same as a new computer.
    Last edited by Victoria; 03-10-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Well I did some browsing around on crucial.com and I guess luck was on my side. They still sell RAM for my pc. I bought one 1gigomigo of ram and I can’t wait. It only cost me 50 bucks! Lol, I wasn’t expecting it to be so cheap, and you know what that means? Now I can use all the rest of the money for some butt whooping kinky-o graphic card.

Blog Entries
    Just have to make sure that your mobo can support the graphic card.
    The best graphic cards out now are PCI-Express cards. AGP is actually almost obsolete by now, believe it or not.

One question. After installing the RAM and IF my motherboard can the support my graphic card would I be set then? Or would I need to buy something else to work with the new equipment? What I am saying is that I really don’t want to get myself in a mess here - Buy new RAM, buy new Card, whoops now I need this and that to make it work since everything is outdated.
    Last edited by Bang Bang; 03-13-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hmm... depends how much wattage your powersource is. Make sure the powersource can handle the videocard.

The Old Skool Warrior Help me LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    With pieces that old, though, you're pretty much going to need to start from scratch with it. Your mobo won't run anything worth owning, and if you're looking to build the PC with gaming in mind (I'm not even talking high-end, I'm just saying in general), then you're going to need to get a new motherboard, new processor, and probably a new power supply. Possibly a new harddrive, depending on whether or not you want it to actually run well.

Upgrading on a six year old board is not recommended, but that's just my opinion.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Magically Delicous Help me Merlin's Avatar
    Indeed. For starters, Compaqs are notoriously bad for NOT being upgradable. They claim they are, but they sure as hell are not.

$50 for a gig of ram is actually expensive, IMHO. I can get 2 good quality sticks of 1 gig DDR2 800mhz for $50... and thats for today's computers, not for ones that old. They are simply screwing you over because its so old.

As for the video card, you need one that supports AGP 4x. My old comp used an ATI Radeon 9800 and it supported AGP4x. But, if you look at prices, since it is no longer made, it ranges from $180-$250 which is just stupid, since you can get obscenely better ones for the same price... if you get a better motherboard.

So really, its up to you. I suggest you can your old system and check out the following article: The $500 Gaming PC Upgrade. It will show you how to get a great system which will do whatever you want plus more, for $500. That's pretty damn cool.

Unfortunately such a system isn't good enough for my needs... as I just spent $1400 on a new system for myself... AMD Athlon 64 2800+ system bit the dust. I call it the chain reaction from hell, or maybe a scene from Final Destination... either way, it screwed itself over. The PSU overloaded(still haven't figured out how...), which short-circuited the cpu fan, which lead to the processor melting(among other things) since the mobo no longer new wtf was going on and couldn't shut down the computer. Ah yes. The brilliance of technology comes burning down in less than 10 seconds.

Ouch… thank god your house didn’t blow up Merlin.

You guys do make a great point there. Hmm…I already bought the ram Merlin so I guess is too late to worry about getting rape, I guess I’ll just leave it like that. 1gig should get me through another year till I get a new computer.

Anyone know how to shut down alarm systems? Might as well steal one…

Thank you so much for the help guys, I though it be fun and cheap to make this thing awesome. But I guess is cheaper and all to just dig a grave for it and have a moment of silence.

Magically Delicous Help me Merlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang Bang View Post
    Anyone know how to shut down alarm systems? Might as well steal one…
    You're a bit late on that. A few weeks ago all the cellular companies discontinued analog transmissions. A lot of home alarm systems used analog signals to contact the alarm company, etc when they are set off, meaning they instantly became useless in an emergency. But yeah, like I said, you're late. ^_^ The alarm system companies already took care of that little problem. xD