Thread: The Dreaded Corrupted Save Data

The Dreaded Corrupted Save Data

I wanted to ask and see if there's any specific reason anyone knows of for this. I'm sure there's probably multiple reasons for it, but I thought I'd ask just in case it's something I can easily avoid.

It's only happened once before when I got really far in TXR3 and I learned my lesson, so I keep doubles of everything. It was because the power went out just as I was saving though.

I was playing a game just now, and as I was saving it was like "game data is damaged". I had another file I saved over so it's all good but If the second one had gotten damaged when I saved, I would have been screwed since I'm out of space on my memory card (PSX btw)

I noticed that if I push my memory cards in all the way (PSX and PS2 memory cards; playing on PS2) they don't read, so I usually have to pull them out slightly so the game can read them. I think maybe that might be the issue.

Has that happened to anyone before? I thought maybe the memory card slot was damaged or something :s

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Blog Entries

Re: The Dreaded Corrupted Save Data

I've never had it happened to any of my PS1/PS2 memory cards, but I've seen it happen to my friends files. I think the reason they had their stuff cleared was because they had a 3rd party memory card, it was like one of those ones where you could store a lot more memory blocks then normal for the PS1, and one time it got completely formatted lol.

I've heard of it happening also with the PS3s, it actually deleted a save of mine once while I was playing persona 3, but the only time it corrupted was when I was trying to save, so I just saved again and it didn't go crazy the second time. It never deleted anything else so idk.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

The Quiet One The Dreaded Corrupted Save Data Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think there is a clear answer to why save data gets corrupted, but the most often it occurs when you do anything to the game or console during a saving state. That is the time things are more sensitive. If you lose power or get a power surge can easily happen. If you pull out a controller, the memory card or disc it can happen. The best way to avoid it is just not touch the system or the controller while a save is in progress.

A failing memory card could be the problem as well or a defective one. I know that I've had to re-insert cards into my PS2 to get them to read before. And I'm pretty certain I lost half of my Kingdom Hearts save files because I accidentally unplugged my controller during a save.

The last source is the game itself having a bug that causes it. Ideally, if QA is solid that should nearly never happen. And more than likely when it does occur it was probably that 1% bug that they figured it was far too difficult to fix for the trouble spent on actually getting it happen that no one playing the game would find it.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    A failing memory card could be the problem as well or a defective one. I know that I've had to re-insert cards into my PS2 to get them to read before. And I'm pretty certain I lost half of my Kingdom Hearts save files because I accidentally unplugged my controller during a save.
    Oh wow, I never really thought about the controller, and that's probably my issue then. I let someone borrow my PS2 controller (my only one) and they returned it all banged up, like they ran it over with a car or something. But anyway, it's not as responsive as it should be and the system sometimes doesn't read it at all

I'll just play with my PS1 controller to be safe.

I need a new PS2 one though, since some games only allow you to play with it.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Actually in the NES, the controller was the exact reason for not only data fails but also the annoying flashing screen. There is an adapter some where that allows for correcting the original NES controller flaw.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a corrupt file was while playing FFVII. I had this happen many times and it always happened towards the end of disc I and at the beginning of disc II. Not sure what the cause was, looked into it quite a bit but never can get a justifiable response. Just had to man it up and start over for the 400th time.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards: