Thread: Computer crashing, possibly graphics card problem? help plz

Blog Entries

Exclamation Computer crashing, possibly graphics card problem? help plz

ok, I've never had a problem with my laptop in the 1.5ish years I've had it all the way up until last week, when one random day I was playing games on it and it decided to display black with white stripes all over the screen. There was no way to get out of it besides manually turning off my computer. Since then, this has been happening to me over and over.

After talking amongst other people about the problem, from what I understand is it is most likely something being caused by my graphics card which is crashing the computer. Something along the lines of a BIOS not working? The thing is, I've checked for updates and I am currently running the newest version I think.

I'm using the AMD 880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200. If anyone knows anything or has any questions, pleaseeeee post and help me out, thanks.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Magically Delicous Computer crashing, possibly graphics card problem? help plz Merlin's Avatar

Re: Computer crashing, possibly graphics card problem? help plz

If it only happens during games the video card might be overheating. Is there enough air circulation around it? If it crashes even when not playing games the video card is probably going out. Hardware failures in laptops are always a pain in the ass.

Blog Entries

I think it may be overheating yes, because it only does crash while I am ingame. Is there something more I can do to keep enough airflow around the video card? I keep my laptop on a desk upright, and I've been using videogame cases to keep the laptop elevated off of the desk lol, but it hasnt really been working out.

I've also uninstalled the catalyst manager for the video card and reinstalled the newest version, but it just crashed again after I did that. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I should try before I do something with a high risk of bricking my laptop, like trying a new BIOS?
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Boxer of the Galaxy Computer crashing, possibly graphics card problem? help plz Rowan's Avatar

---
    Last edited by Rowan; 03-10-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Warlord of Your Mom Computer crashing, possibly graphics card problem? help plz ultima_trev's Avatar

Is your GPU passively cooled? If not, maybe your GPU fan motor died?

Maybe the newer drivers or Windows patches are having incompatibility issues with your hardware? Have you tried a reinstall of O/S?

Undisputed masters of all creation since 2004.11.11.