Thread: Can a computer be too old?

Registered User Can a computer be too old? HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Can a computer be too old?

Well I want to play a game called Dead frontier but my computer always messes up.

I have the latest version of, I think it was adobe reader. I just simply cant play it. I get in the game but my computer runs so slow and if I try to change areas on the game my computer messes up and it says there is a script in the game thats not working.

My computer was bought around year 2002 so its pretty old in computer years. So hence the question, is my computer too old?

I tried to hunt down minimum system requirements but couldn't find any for Dead Frontier.

However, I don't see why Adobe Reader would have anything to do with the game. From what I can see it's a browser-base game, which would mean you'd need to the Java Applet installed on your system.

I'd assume your computer's probably too old to play a game like this, but like I said... I can't locate any minimum system requirements.

A PC from 2002 wouldn't even be very upgradable by this point, either. The price you'd pay to upgrade the CPU and the RAM, which is probably a Pentium 474 socket and SDRAM wouldn't even be worth it since it's old technology that's no longer in production.

If I have time later I'll try to play it on my netbook... it's ABOUT equivalent to the PC I had in 2002 as far as system power goes.

Registered User Can a computer be too old? HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ok so I was wrong about what it was running on.(Im really not a computer expert) The thing is, I really didn't remember the name of the program. All I knew was I could not play it because I needed said program's latest version. I installed it and didn't have any problem with that.

I just really want to know how I can, I guess speed up my computer to the point that it can handle the game.

Plus I am not really sure if my PC is from 2002, I just know its really old in terms of technology. If there is a way to tell how old, please tell me and Ill gladly look it up.

There's no way of dating a computer, really, without just remembering.

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_151.zip

Open the .exe inside that .zip, and it'll tell you the CPU you're currently running, the socket, and the memory tab will tell you the type, size, and speed of the RAM in your system.. Like I said in my first post, though, you probably can't upgrade it very far, if at all, because it's most likely using outdated hardware interfaces.

2002 was using Pentium 4s and SDRAM, though.... all the way up to about '05.

Sjinxquip
    I had that problem about a year ago and had to buy a new computer it was cheaper than upgrading what I needed to play a couple games I had here.