Thread: Anti Virus Programs

Question Anti Virus Programs

Our computer crashed recently due to viruses (have no idea how). We had AVG on there protecting the computer but obviously that wasn't enough. Anyway, our friend fixed it for us and put an old version of Norton on there but it's not protecting our computer properly either because the auto protect won't work. Anywho, I was wondering if people here could recommend any good anti virus programs either free or to buy. I'll start off with a free one until I get some money to buy a good one somewhere. Is Norton the best virus protector or is there better than that? I'm not the biggest fan of Norton and I don't know of many others.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Air from my lungs. Anti Virus Programs Violet's Avatar
    I used Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security. It's a good program IMO. Since I've had it, I haven't had to worry about viruses. It's caught a few and protected me against one that destroyed my former computer. I suggest you try looking into it, it's not retarded like Norton.

http://www.trendmicro.com.au/au/home/

There's the main site.
    Last edited by Violet; 01-19-2008 at 06:43 PM.

I've used Norton for most of the time i've been on the net, although i don't have anything installed at the moment hehe. My dad hates it though, he uses something called Avira AntiVir i think... and being a network technician all his life i should probably listen to him and install that haha

http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php

Is the home page if you need it. Its pretty cheap as far as antivirus program go, so definatly worth a look. Also i'd suggest installed programs like Adaware or Spybot to go along with it, they tend to remove a load of crap from your computer aswell XD

Thank you for the suggestions. They both look like great programs to use and I'll think about it. Does anybody else have any suggestions on good anti virus/spyware programs that aren't overly expensive.

Plus a suggestion for a reasonable cheap anti virus program would be good for the moment as well. The only one I really know of is AVG and I don't know what happened but my computer still crashed from tons of viruses even though we had it installed. It was always turned on so I don't know why so many got unnoticed.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Personally as a guy who likes to find information and goodies on shadier parts of the web often hiding malware (malicious ware, including viruses, spyware etc etc) of all sorts I've come to the following conclusion. No firewall/anti virus setup is completely invulnerable. So what I do is go to the dump. Grab the computers people have thrown out (often simply due to getting a new system or just one part going), and then build my own computers just for internet usage. That's more a hobby for me though.

Thought of connecting to the internet through a virtual machine? Think a second emulated system you can terminate at any time. It works.
    victoria aut mors

Godsmack Worshipper Anti Virus Programs Omega Weapon's Avatar
    Lived by the rules you that you gave me and fell apart. All the wrong turns down a dead end street so far. I stretched my wings and breath in different day. Alone and broken is the price I pay but that's ok...
    Is Norton the best virus protector or is there better than that? I'm not the biggest fan of Norton and I don't know of many others.
    Yes It is. To be honest with you, I never thought the day would come when I would speak of Norton Antivirus as being perhaps the best all-around anti-malware solution on the market.

Anyway..

Try Avast Home Edition!

Avast can be considered AVG's most haunting rival, most security experts will either recommend AVG or Avast or both as the best free anti virus. Personally, I can't tell which one is better in respect of detecting more viruses and protecting your PC better, but Avast can really boast about it's list of features and cool design. Avast is cool because:

- Just like AVG, Avast offers both On Demand virus scan and Email protection

- Unlike AVG, Avast has P2P (bticomet,kazaa,limewire and etc) and Instant Messaging (IM) protection - this feature gets a lot of extra points from me!

- Auto Updates

- Has Web Shield - a protection system against attacks from websites ( don't be surprise, there are websites made today which has a sole purpose - to make your life miserable)

If you are interested to try it then CLICK HERE!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Omega Weapon; 01-22-2008 at 04:31 PM.

That's fantastic Omega Weapon, thank you very much! I think I might have to give Avast a go. It looks rather good to me, especially with the P2P! The email scan is always great as well since we seem to get a lot of them. Oh and auto updates, yay!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I will be buying a virus protector sooner or later and I might go with one of the ones people have suggested here because they look pretty awesome.

Thank you again!

I like PCCillin, but I refuse to pay for antivirus when i can download and install Avast Home for free and it suits my purposes nicely.

I've never had a major virus before, but I'm usually smart enough to not let people give them to me. =)

Permanently banned Anti Virus Programs darkViVi's Avatar
    Eset Nod32 and Kaspersky (I haven't used Kasp' myself though) is the best anti virus software, it's not free but you get what you're paying for. And for those of you who -refuse- to buy AV software.. It's not that expensive haha...

Not expensive eh? Well considering the new Norton Anti Virus is $400.. I think that's a tad bit expensive for a piece of software. I'll have a look at the ones you have suggested though. Avast seems to be very good though so far, even if it is free. It is easy to use and it scans many different things which I really like.

We haven't had a major virus either, just a ton of small ones which crashed our computer finally. Memo to self: AVG sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
    Eset Nod32 and Kaspersky (I haven't used Kasp' myself though) is the best anti virus software, it's not free but you get what you're paying for. And for those of you who -refuse- to buy AV software.. It's not that expensive haha...
    I'd agree, but over time they addup due to the constant need to renew, buy a new supscription, pay for updates, ect ect. Especially considering I don't get malicious attacks on my system very often that would neccesitate me paying for an antivirus software when Avast, 100%, still does what I need it to do.

Yeah, that's what I hate about them too. After six months or a year you just have a buy them again or buy another subscription and it's just too expensive for me at the moment. Avast is currently doing well for me too so I don't think I have any need to purchase another anti-virus program. I should but meh haha. There are some cheaper ones I suppose but still, I'm happy with this program for now. Who knows, maybe I will end up buying one some day.

Permanently banned Anti Virus Programs darkViVi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirgon View Post
    I'd agree, but over time they addup due to the constant need to renew, buy a new supscription, pay for updates, ect ect. Especially considering I don't get malicious attacks on my system very often that would neccesitate me paying for an antivirus software when Avast, 100%, still does what I need it to do.
    I don't pay for updates all I paid was 50 dollars or something for a year ^^

I just upgraded to Nod32 3.0 for nothing so it's all good, dance on roses and so on. Avast! and AVG isn't bad, but they're just not the best