Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TFF's Official RPing Academy

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 TFF's Official RPing Academy T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    I'll (still) limit to announcements for the moment. I feel I'll just add more flame if I say any opinion around here.

I altered a bit the history of the setting into the version provided by Baneheart, and also added details on the Academy. I only have the Beginners' Tower complete, and office space is available throughout the entire Academy.

Also, added a new race.

Finally, there are some students that have posted their intro post within the thread. Please feel free to offer your assistance on the matter, if you wish to. There's a little mistake on Draco's part, which we've already pointed him out (it's a matter of the choice of race; there will be no elves in the setting, replaced by the Vorians); please assist him based off the other parameters.
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

HRH Albha TFF's Official RPing Academy Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't really know whether or not I should mention this in here since TFF World is currently seperate from the Roleplay Board, however in the rules of the World it does state that the rules from the RP Board are to be followed in TFF World.

Now may I direct you to "Base Rule Number 1": No Signatures in the RP Forum.

Surely this applies to TFF World threads as well, only a select few are following this rule, in fact teachers and even our Headmaster are failing to follow this basic rule. It could have something to do with the script applied on the RP Forum that means that sigs aren't shown, but unless the script is applied to TFF World people will have to turn their signatures off manually.

I wouldn't bring it up but it's even happening in the current Mission Thread. And 'No-Signatures' is an RP basic.

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

Synthesized Ascension TFF's Official RPing Academy Zardoch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerif View Post
    I don't really know whether or not I should mention this in here since TFF World is currently seperate from the Roleplay Board, however in the rules of the World it does state that the rules from the RP Board are to be followed in TFF World.

Now may I direct you to "Base Rule Number 1": No Signatures in the RP Forum.

Surely this applies to TFF World threads as well, only a select few are following this rule, in fact teachers and even our Headmaster are failing to follow this basic rule. It could have something to do with the script applied on the RP Forum that means that sigs aren't shown, but unless the script is applied to TFF World people will have to turn their signatures off manually.

I wouldn't bring it up but it's even happening in the current Mission Thread. And 'No-Signatures' is an RP basic.
    This is true. When I created the club, I thought that the rule may apply, but since it's under Oskar and I's control, and since this is something entirely different, I don't mind the sigs. If Loco or one of the other RP mods want to apply the rule to the forum, I would not mind either.

Now, on another update, I've added student level payments. This means all teachers are allowed to pay a student (x) amount of gil depending on how well they did in a mission. A recently created thread within the academy will refer to more details.

HRH Albha TFF's Official RPing Academy Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well as I said I only mentioned it because of the thread Rules of TFF World

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar
    Aside from the rules of The Final Fantasy forums placed right above this thread as an announcement and linked here for your reference, the forum will be regulated by the TFF Roleplaying Forum and/or TFF Roleplaying Battle Forum rules, where applicable. As well, the following rules unique to this forum will apply...
    Also can I make a suggestion, perhaps you could adjust the max. payment for a perfect pass at some of the later levels or lowering the price of exams, I mean assuming that a Level 10 student recieved perfect marks everytime it would take 21 perfect missions (which would be difficult assuming judgement becomes tougher at higher levels) to be able to buy the level 10 Examination. Perhaps a more suitable price for the exam would be around 18,000 Gil - 20,000 Gil. I mean, 21 perfect missions seems a bit too excessive even if more than one teacher can pay per mission.

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

Well as I said I only mentioned it because of the thread Rules of TFF World
    Ah, I didn't read all of that myself. Well then, I suppose we can take out the sigs in that case. Either way, I never really thought the rule would mean so much.

Also can I make a suggestion, perhaps you could adjust the max. payment for a perfect pass at some of the later levels or lowering the price of exams, I mean assuming that a Level 10 student recieved perfect marks everytime it would take 21 perfect missions (which would be difficult assuming judgement becomes tougher at higher levels) to be able to buy the level 10 Examination. Perhaps a more suitable price for the exam would be around 18,000 Gil - 20,000 Gil. I mean, 21 perfect missions seems a bit too excessive even if more than one teacher can pay per mission.
    20,000 it is. I just figured if since when a student climbs a level, things are going to get harder. If you're a level 10 student, your skill should be good enough to get near-perfect marks. Plus, you'd have to add in that they're amount of gil will be building up more and more as they get some extra gil on the side with some missions. For now, I'll just drop it down to 20,000.

The Quiet One TFF's Official RPing Academy Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I will insist that you do follow the Roleplaying rules of the forum to the letter. If you are going to train the new or inexperienced members to be valued members of the RP community here. There must be the consistency between the two or else the members will end up getting in trouble for things that they were doing in your forum, but are against the rules in the RP forum.

While we have signatures disabled in the RP forum it is a matter of manners and being courteous that signatures not be present in the RP or RPB forums. Signatures are a distraction and pull you away from the actual post. It'll be good practice to get into. I'll hand out warnings for not unchecking the signatures in the coming weeks if I do not see an improvement.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Magically Delicous TFF's Official RPing Academy Merlin's Avatar
    I find this quite interesting. Your teachers/high-rank people might want to take a gander over the rules before you go any further. Just a suggestion.

If I have time tommorrow night after work I can modify the settings to include that sub-forum. I can't do it right this second since I just got home from one job and have to get some sleep before my next in 5 hrs... hah.

In the meantime, as stated you must disable your sigs manually or fear the rath of the mods. Thanks!

Well I figured I should post here before I write my post for the first mission as I have some questions related to the creation of characters, if you've read my characters profile already you might have an idea of what I mean. I know that each level has certain bonuses attached to it but does the title itself have to have any meaning to the character? I made my character around the idea that he was a magitek knight. I couldn't find anything saying either yay or nay.

Also nothing has been mentioned on curative magic or status effecting magics, where about do they fall in the levels of magic?

Um, will missions only be taking place in the Academy? I know everyone was talking about the set up of the teaching and everything for around the Academy but there is still a whole world outside the Academy for stuff to happen in.

OK, so I'll I have done is ask questions so enough of that. From what I've read so far it has been pretty sweet. So go go gadget teachers!
    EBG

Lady Succubus TFF's Official RPing Academy Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah.. the titles have nothing to do with anything. They're just there. Ignore them when creating a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Atma-Noah View Post
    Well I figured I should post here before I write my post for the first mission as I have some questions related to the creation of characters, if you've read my characters profile already you might have an idea of what I mean. I know that each level has certain bonuses attached to it but does the title itself have to have any meaning to the character?
    Not at all. It's just slapped on there to make it feel more final fantasy-ish.

Also nothing has been mentioned on curative magic or status effecting magics, where about do they fall in the levels of magic?
    Well, there's two categories of magic here. There is the typical final fantasy kind where I've based it on FF8-9 spells such as Fire, Fira, and Firaga, so the magic level is based on which spell it is. Then there's the freeform magic, in which anyone can create their own kind of magic. It isn't specifically based on FF magic, only combined to, again, keep with the final fantasy theme of the TFF world.

Um, will missions only be taking place in the Academy? I know everyone was talking about the set up of the teaching and everything for around the Academy but there is still a whole world outside the Academy for stuff to happen in.
    We plan of having teachers take students out of the academy to experience more real missions for better learning. Only in some situations where the dojo or outside dojo may be used for RPB training.

Professional Klutz. TFF's Official RPing Academy Hyzenthlay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baneheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Atma-Noah
    Well I figured I should post here before I write my post for the first mission as I have some questions related to the creation of characters, if you've read my characters profile already you might have an idea of what I mean. I know that each level has certain bonuses attached to it but does the title itself have to have any meaning to the character?
    Not at all. It's just slapped on there to make it feel more final fantasy-ish.
    Gah. I was hoping it would mean something, like a class... Or grade if you are American. Like erm, 3rd grade. If not that then I thought maybe it was a leveling system like in the case of music eg- grade 8 singing voice. I thought that it may affect out studies.

If not then I guess thats cool. Putting us all at different stages in a class might mean we wouldnt be in the same room so it'd be alot harder to interact. It's best that way.

Anyway. I thought I'd best show my face here.

Hello everyone.

A.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

The joke is far too true TFF's Official RPing Academy loner-kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyzenthlay View Post

Anyway. I thought I'd best show my face here.
    You know I really should too, I hadn't before because I couldn't really add anything to the discussion.

Actually I want to talk about my character, it occurs to me that people may not want any form of slavery to exist in this world (people who read my character bio in the character creation thread will understand) personally I think that every world needs a little darkness plus it's a great little thing to throw into a characters past and makes my character very different to the others we've had so far. I ask that it's allow for there to be slavery in the world not that it should be legal in any of the countries. If you do choose let it exist it would work like a smuggling ring working where the arm of the law dosen't quite reach, it's something that people try to pretend doesn't happen. If none of you agree to it then I'll simply change my characters past where neccesary. I'd like a selection of opinions on a possible addition to the world

EDIT 1: eep! just noticed that it says to do mission 1 before posting in the character page. I did it the other way around because I didn't think it mattered and it gives me a solid base from which to write my character. Sorry about that

EDIT 2: I'm just going to post the stupid thing, if and when anyone complains I'll make change where necessary
    Last edited by loner-kid; 07-26-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Read some of my stuff here
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...-snippets.html

The Gargoyle
    SPOILER!!:

The gargoyle sits, solemnly, alone
    That silent man of stone
    Here, for his deeds he must atone

Beaten eyes stare blankly
    Withered arms curved and wrinkly
    Bat-like wings spread fully

For once he was a man deceitful
    His soul decored in black so hateful
    From his despair grew pain most vengeful

With his death he was deserted
    Left condemned and desecrated
    Bound to form most understated

And now he is but a statue made of stone
    Sitting all alone

Star Gaze
    SPOILER!!:
    High in the sky, blinking down on us
    We all watch the stars
    Believing, as we do
    That friends and lovers long since moved away are staring upwards too
    Remembering us as we remember them
    Smiling in the light of an unatainable star
    And even if the star was snuffed out at that very moment
    We would never know
    We just keep smiling
    And believe the star is true

My TFF Family
    (is laughably small because 'loner' turned out to be fairly accurate)
    Unknown-Entity - loner-kid's hilarious 'friend'
    Raider - my ginger brother

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 TFF's Official RPing Academy T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    We could use some more assistance on the area of the Intro Posts, but so far the first few students seem to have passed with flying colors. I must say, the intro post done by Sinister is so far one of the best I've ever seen, truly making short notice of mine at least.

But, that's not the reason I'm here. This is: the next few missions are pretty much the closest thing to a Job Fair, in which students will have unique missions depending on what store they decide to work on. So far, the only three stores around Midland are the Lua Smithy, the Rua Smithy, and the tavern Aces, Deuces and Triads. I'll make the "Hiring New Workers" missions for each store.

I could use some help in making more stores for the Midland business district, as we're lacking some of the typical professions of the time (carpenter, skinner, storekeeper, apothecary/botanist, amongst others) I'd like your ideas on the aspect, to make the owners of each shop unique NPCs for the students (and eventual characters) to interact with.

The missions for the Smithy shops are item gathering (I know, it seems cliched and hard to do), but focusing on character interaction and setting interaction (aka, dealing with NPCs for those who haven't, and also starting to help with using setting details as an aid for posting)

The thing is, I'll be doing those missions within the next few days, to help with character interaction and setting interaction. I'll see to do the Smithy shops first, then the tavern. As with normal work, you can work only in ONE place, and there'll be no changes unless worked with the staff members.

In case the occupations sound weird: smithies are your typical metal workers (blacksmith for black metal/steel, whitesmith for white metal/iron, silversmith for silver, weaponsmith for metal weapons, etc.), tavernkeepers deal with the typical aspects of a tavern (serving drinks, keeping order in the tavern), carpenters deal with all aspects wood (wood weapons, wood ornaments, and even wooden houses), skinner is the person that deals with removing skins from animals (such as leather from cows or pigs), storekeeper needs little explanation (sell your merchandise), apothecary is the old-time pharmacist, botanist is basically your plant expert (and both usually work together). There are other occupations as well.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

Blog Entries
    I hope this is the sort of thing you're looking for; I don't do setting specifics nearly as often as I should.

The Midland Apothecary

Housed in a small complex across from the tavern is the Midland Apothecary, run by the eccentric Vorian called Rain. The main structure is a two-level wooden house painted bright green and overgrown with flowering vines. The building itself is hidden from the street by a large, unruly hedge and an aging iron gate that never closes all the way but squeaks when anyone passes.

Inside, the design is just as haphazard. There are plenty of shelves and cabinets for herbs and potions, as well as Rain's many curiosities. Half a dozen herbals may well share shelf space with a conch, a stuffed parrot, and a handful of amethysts, for example. Despite the random appearances, Rain knows exactly where everything is and can find whatever he needs in thirty seconds or less.

The second floor is Rain's living space, though it's just as cramped as the store due to his hoarding tendencies. There's also a hidden chamber that houses the more dangerous parts of the business, poisons and the like. Unlike the downstairs, these are filed precisely and labeled clearly. Very few people know about them and he's very careful in accepting offers for their sale.

The apothecary's second building is a large greenhouse situated behind the store where all manner of things are grown. He never seems to grow the same thing twice, thus every time one visits there is something different to be seen. He allows visitors to the greenhouse at any time during the day.

Rain himself is tall even for a Vorian, with white cloud-hair and ocean blue eyes. He's around fifty or so, much of his wisdom hidden behind his jovial smile and youthful features. When not tending the shop he can be found wandering around Midland, most often near the Academy. He's fascinated by humans and delights in speaking with and helping them out.

The apothecary is open six days a week, but Rain himself only tends the storefront for half that time. The rest of the time it's tended by Amber, his equally-eccentric human partner. She has auburn hair and the eyes that are her namesake, a deep rich amber. She's of average height and weight and tends to dress in white and turquoise, usually a blouse and skirt, respectively.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Sir Prize TFF's Official RPing Academy Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, Oskar. I had fun with it and tried specifically to go overboard and tax my creative license. Although, looking back on it, I should have solidified the thief's pronoun more consistently and added some reason for Souburi joining the academy(as that was one of the requirements.) But it was fun to just make a pretty verbose mess of my intro.

As for the office of Teacher. Directly in the RP world, what should our lectures consist of? A friend asked me this and I had little or no satisfying answer for them. Should it be a lecture on how to RP(that is a little paradoxical). Should it be on some made up historical figure? Alchemy or some way of defending yourself? Perhaps some form of dialectics or rhetoric, astronomy? What are your thoughts? I assume you don't mean for us to breach the fourth wall, but specifics are always welcome.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Lady Succubus TFF's Official RPing Academy Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah... this place is pretty much dead. I don't care what anyone says.
    Oskar and Vicious are doing what is taboo in the world of RPing that DH and I have mentioned.

Keeping shit secret. You're not supposed to do that. And when you make edits to the tff world thread, or anything at all for that matter, you're supposed to say something. We don't check every damn day for an update.

Honestly? I never knew about that Office thing all teachers have. I don't want a damn office. No one was never informed or anything. >_>;

This isn't going off to a very good start. I mean, just like with all academies, we can't even get past the first activity. Jeez.

Well, one other problem is that either I or Oskar try to give you these ideas and then we have to discuss them. That discussion can take weeks because, as you said, you don't check for updates everyday. In fact, since I've put my trust in the staff, I feel I must tell you my own ideas before coming forward and as much as I'd rather do something than talk about it, I can't since this is a group project and everyone has a say in this.

Sadly, not a lot of the staff here are responding, so I have to wait before they make a reply. In which, if this thing is going to work, everyone needs to be on the same page and put in the same work I put into creating this academy in the first place. I mean I don't expect people to be here everyday, but I signed my staff members up on that trust that their experience will benefit the academy as a whole.

Now, I think another issue is Oskar. He's either having trouble with real life or is simply busy because he was suppose to be putting together some ideas and also posting in this thread to tell you about these ideas, yet has had trouble doing so. It worries me that he's gone more often, which is bad because I value his opinions quite a bit.

With that said, I'd like the most active staff members or staff members who want to be active to come together and talk to me. Really, I don't know why some of the staff members don't just IM me on MSNM/AIM and tell me what they have in mind. The thread isn't just the only place for discussion and we need to communicate more often, and I'd like it if the staff members did so, particularly with me.

I would like to apologize myself because I've had similar problems as Oskar has when it comes to being busy and such. It's had be lacking the time I want to put back into the academy, which brings me to the next subject.

We need to create more missions. With Oskar having trouble staying active, I'm wanting to look at what the staff members are thinking of doing. This is the most important thing right now and we need to finish it quickly since the students are waiting on us. Reply to the thread, PM, or IM me about any ideas you have.
    Last edited by Zardoch; 08-02-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Morning Always Comes TFF's Official RPing Academy Xeim's Avatar
    I just think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. If we try to plan too much at once we'll just drown ourselves. I think since this thing is really just still starting out, we oughta think of it as a trial run. You have to trust me when I say throing out too many ideas is not a good idea.

Offices...why offices? There's a lot of uneccessary details being thrown around that are making me wonder what you guys are actually expecting from us. I agree we need more missions...but what about the first one? A lot of the students are still waiting for their THREE PASSES. That sounds like a nice number at first, but when it comes down to it...each student only needs one pass and then a second pass to bring anything the first teacher missed.

This is a lot to bring up in the thread. Ideally, I'd like to contact you on MSN, Vicious, but you apparently aren't on. =P

And also...Sin's question needs an answer. xD

I think I've said this before, but, I'm a fan of simplicity. When you're starting out, it's often the way to go. You may disagree, but I thought I'd throw my opinion down.

--Xeim--

"A promised land where fairies wait, with room just enough for two. So deliver me, help me to forget the tribulations of the day and to stay in this dream of night, where I can be thinking of you forever- take me to my bliss." - Ora and Sue's "Clover"

Only the Greatest Stuffs:

Honored to be 2008's Best Roleplayer alongside Dragonheart.

Image of Tsubasa's Fay from the Infinity arc colored and cleaned by moi. Sig by moi, aussi.

Lady Rika is my Sacrifice Echoless

My TFF Family
    Froggie, Nick, Lady Rika, Darkwolf, Sinister,
    Flash, Craven, Ann, CLOUD, Kaos_Dragon,
    Mistress Sheena, Silver, Tiger Lily, Yuuki, Halie, Rocco
    Jenova33,
    Dark Rider, Fishie, Refieth

A Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation
    Xeilie Peanut Butter, now featuring sitting ducks and deformed monkeys!

Evenesca, Halie and my home planet.
    It is a wonderful world ruled by Reno, where rainbow skin is a common sight.
    Odd numbers are illegal, hence the even number of words in this paragraph.

Member of FF Cult

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    As for the office of Teacher. Directly in the RP world, what should our lectures consist of? A friend asked me this and I had little or no satisfying answer for them. Should it be a lecture on how to RP
    (that is a little paradoxical). Should it be on some made up historical figure? Alchemy or some way of defending yourself? Perhaps some form of dialectics or rhetoric, astronomy? What are your thoughts? I assume you don't mean for us to breach the fourth wall, but specifics are always welcome.

-Sin
    You're right, it would be a bit paradoxical if the lectures were simply about role-playing, and since this is a world in real-time, talking about role-playing in late medieval world wouldn't fit, lol. I think lectures would mostly be consisted of the lessons and such IN the mission and such things like role-playing can be added through OOC. The teaching will come through both in character and out, so it'd be obvious to apply both in various scenarios.

And Xeim, I honestly agree with keeping things simple. It is the best way to go. It's just when you're creating a world, it's going to need some complicated thinking to put it together. Oh and I wasn't on MSNM because I was eating dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly
    We need to create more missions. With Oskar having trouble staying active, I'm wanting to look at what the staff members are thinking of doing. This is the most important thing right now and we need to finish it quickly since the students are waiting on us. Reply to the thread, PM, or IM me about any ideas you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeim
    Offices...why offices? There's a lot of uneccessary details being thrown around that are making me wonder what you guys are actually expecting from us. I agree we need more missions...but what about the first one? A lot of the students are still waiting for their THREE PASSES. That sounds like a nice number at first, but when it comes down to it...each student only needs one pass and then a second pass to bring anything the first teacher missed.
    I agree with Xeim, Vicious. I don't want to put a stopper on your idea's and enthusiasm, but, I really want my feedback. I havnt moaned about it because, as people have already stated, people are not on here and/or checking this every day. I would, however, love to get closure and feedback on my first 'mission' before we start any others beacuse I have been checking ever day and it's kinda tedious coming back to nothing and I'm afraid I'm kinda losing faith again.

Having said that, if you do create another of these missions I will post in it but I won't be happy that my other one hasnt been judged yet. I think that having 3 people check it is wishful thinking in a short/ suitable time-frame (by this I mean a time-frame that will enable the club to move smoothly). For a big RP project like this, anyway.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm sure people will speak their mind and correct me if that's the case.

A.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 08-02-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

Blog Entries
    If you can hold on one more day I can get to you tomorrow, Hyz. And anyone else who needs feedback that I haven't already done. My work week's finally over so I'll be able to put some time aside tomorrow to go through everything. It's hard to find the time to do it during the week.

I don't check here much because...nothing's happening, really. I never heard back on the apothecary I set up, and I kind of figured other people would pitch in and help fill some other blank spots. I could do all of them if I had to, but I don't think it would be fair to other members if I did that. Won't be much fun if it ends up being all one person's creation, right?

That said, how about we integrate some of the world building with the missions? It'll get some activity going again and help flesh out some of the world. Field trips or something, maybe to earn "badges" or something similar that can be turned in and grant the student special items or a new spell or some such.

~DragonHeart~

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart
    If you can hold on one more day I can get to you tomorrow, Hyz.
    One more day would be great DH, thank you.

As for your Apothecary, I just read the fair thing that Oscar posted. I'd like to take up a position with you in your area if you'd have me. Not sure how I apply though, I assume an RP cv or something...?

I think it would actually help my character adjust to normal life because she doesnt relly trust people much at the moment but she does want to start a new, normal life within the law. So, yeah, get back to me on that.

Thank again DH.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

On the topic of three teachers to pass, the idea was that teachers were actually looking forward to grade students a bit more often, and a number was provided as a conservative estimate of how many teacher opinions may be needed to make an effective grading. Xeim, Rocco and DH have pretty much simplified the grading to allow two teachers to make the pass, and honestly their grading seems very complete. I have to agree with Xeim: two seems to be the magic number around here. If the Headmaster agrees, I can propose changing it into two passes, which would allow many graded students to succeed on the mission.

Then again, why most teachers seem unwilling to participate is kinda beyond me. I can only speak for myself when I say: that style of grading seems beyond my capabilities. Might need to do a try once or twice, given that I can have a second teacher giving a second opinion and completing that which I might be missing.

Also, I made a new mission for everyone to consider. I tried to take the opinions of everyone into consideration. While I feel there will be some negative opinions about the mission as it's explained, I sought to take under consideration the following provided ideas:

--OOC writing for direct roleplaying pointers (Headmaster's idea)
    --Not forcing lectures into a role-played style
    --Passive grading (a few people have suggested this)
    --Post-mission report (I knew I had DH's idea around my mind when I wrote this...); I decided to use PMing to request the post-mission report.

I also decided to add DH's idea of the Midland Apothecary, since it was a great piece of work. I'll add it word by word and make sure she gets the deserved recognition.

The idea of Offices was "thrown" just to see the opinion of the staff and teachers, to see if it was worthy of being added. Offices are a key aspect of any real-life teacher; it's a space where the teacher has a great degree of control. I thought it was proper to give that space a physical location within the setting; for example, DH's idea of post-mission reports can be given either in the classroom, or wihtin the teacher's office. Tests are better to be given in offices. The thing is, while a classroom can do most of the "work" an office can do, the office seems better for personal issues.

However, it's pretty valid to consider that classrooms and informal meetings can do the same effect than an office.

Finally, since the thread was closed for a while, most of my posts have been usual updates to what has been added. This is probably the first or second post I do with added opinion on the current matters.

The Final Boss Theorem:

Blog Entries
    Your guess is as good as mine. XD From what I can see, I guess you just make an RP post of your character going to the shopping district and looking for a shopkeeper who'd like some help. Which would in this case, be me. =P

What I want to know is, will there be separate threads or will it be all in one like the intro thread? I'd think that would get confusing very quickly. I think perhaps it would be easier to have either the teacher or the student make their own thread and go from there. It can always be merged into one big thread after the fact to keep the forum from getting too cluttered.

Or...each shop could have its own thread, and anyone can come and go from it as they please. Like if I decided I wanted to hand Rain's Apothecary off to someone else for awhile, they could just pick up where I left off. And it would also be easier to interact with students/teachers/whomever without trying to dig through some monster thread to find relevant posts.

~DragonHeart~

Well then, that needs clearing up before I make a move. Unless I post up a kind of 'intro' thing like you suggested that has me walking into Rains apothecary to ask if she might need help. A problem with this though is that my character is quite anti-social. The only way I can think around this is that she knows you as one of her teachers from the Apothecary but this raises another problem because we've been told not to mention teachers yet... Erm. I dunno, maybe Oscar can help with this because I've confused myself, heh.

If I have to write up apost then tell me, Oscar and I'll PM DH (If thats okay with you DH) so that we can get some sort of shop interior so I'm not destroying your vision of it. PLus, I may need your help with dialogue between us both...

EDIT: Scrap the whole 'not allowed to speak to teachers' thing, my memory was changing things. I remembered that we could talk to other students in the first mission and for some reason I applied the rule to teachers as well... My fault.

Hyz.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 08-02-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Edit.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

I was thinking of a separate thread for each of the shops, which would allow for a lot of threads based on the shops, but ironically for another reason. You see, I devised that those who were impressive enough to be granted a job would have some missions flavored within the job they chose. So, being part of the Rua Smith shop would have elements of blacksmith around, and also a passive form of rivalry towards the Luas, their rivals. Other professions would have missions geared towards their kind of work.

I had doubts on whether to have one big thread for the Job Fair, and then split threads that would work as "micro-RPs" for the subsequent missions; or to have one big thread linking to the other threads as a large introduction. There's also the idea of keeping it completely mission-wise, with all missions belonging to a specific shop having the name of the shop in the title, preceding the title itself, such as "Midland Apothecary: Gather some Herbs!!" (just as an example). Might be also fair to apply that to the missions within the Academy itself, such as the Dojo training. That way, less confusion is generated, and if there's a need for a mission directive, a handy sticky link can be provided.

I like the way Hyz is working with things. This is quite a good way on how to work it and a magnificent idea, as it adds an element I hadn't considered: writer interaction. A good RP usually needs proper interaction within the writers, in order to enhance flux and prevent some typical problems.

Also...I would have chosen Apothecary work as well. Must be my inclination towards Chemistry. Although Blacksmith seems like a good idea as well (hence, why it was on the top of the list, and why there are two).

The Final Boss Theorem:

Hmmmmm, so, would DH be making the thread or would you guys make it? The respective teachers making their own shop thread would make more sense and you just mod it but, obviously, it's up to you and vicious.

Yeah, writer interaction is crucial most of the time. It help's establish the enviroment and exactly what is going on a lot more, otherwise you end up with one person saying they are stood in one place and teh other person a completely different place... Or, you know, similar confusions that lead to bad RP's.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

Unless someone desires to take the Smith shops or the Tavern, I'll be making their threads at any moment. I advice DH to make the Apothecary thread, so her vision of the shop isn't ruined.

Also, Hyz, the post you gave there gave me the idea to sticky and provide links in that thread. The Headmaster and I were considering that via PM, discussing DH's idea, and it's better to keep it in separate threads rather than a long one, so I am making that more of an announcement than an actual thread. Might think on whether closing it or leaving it open, but perhaps I'll leave it open.

The Final Boss Theorem:

Thank you DH and Aerif for the feedback on my posts. I guess I know the areas to improve on now.
    Dh, I went off this for the personality 'some are often slow in the head.' The 'violent' part didnt seem relevant to my post, really.

Anyway. I could have done alot better in that... So with the next mission I'll take more time.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

Sir Prize TFF's Official RPing Academy Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So here we are, the first mission has been all but totally finished. I'm taking the initiative and suggesting another Mission. I present to you for your consideration Mission II:

MISSION II:

RULES: Each Teacher must first post their first lecture within the Mission thread. Lectures may consist on invented Historical events, figures; Battle techniques; or even modest natural science i.e. alchemy or biology. In response each student must choose one of the lectures to attend and retell the scene from the student's point of view.

Requirements:
    -- A brief description of the teacher's character and the main character's reflected opinion of the teacher's character.
    -- A summation of the material covered, including direct quotes and the main character's own subjective view of said material.
    -- Brief roll-playing with at least one invented NPC after class is to take place.
    --Participation in any exercises that are in the Lecture written by the Teacher.

The following acts cannot be done by any means:
    -- Attacking an NPC. Students at this moment use no weapons, nor have any unique skills.
    -- Using Powers. Again, no students at the moment possess any magical powers or special abilities of any sort, unless demonstrated by the Teachers as an assignment within the lecture.
    -- God-modding. In this particular case, it will be strongly enforced NOT to involve other students in your introductory posts. You may use NPCs, but please abstain from giving them names for the moment. As well, please, do not make any mention of teachers.

This will teach roll-players how to restate events from their character's point of view and think critically as their character would. It will put them more in touch with their character's personality and boost their ability to correctly perceive other RPer's characters. It will also reinforce and demonstrate ability to create and interact with an NPC.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sinister; 08-04-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast