Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The TFF Language Guide

The TFF Language Guide

This is a thread I thought of making,for all the students(and non students,who are just learning languages for a laugh)who are taking language courses,and need help with them.No matter what kind of help it is,even if you just need a word translated or a verb conjugated.
    If you need my help,I can help you with...
    French
    Some Japanese
    Some Russian
    Thanks guysAnd everyone is welcome to contribute to this thread.Please do,if you can.
    i think i could accept all these dark colors
    as just part of some bigger color scheme
    if it wasn't for that drippy string quartet of sadness
    underscoring each smiling scene
    desire drags me right out of myself
    a gas-soaked rope tied to a piece of coal
    and i'm getting pretty good at looking at the bright side
    while the flames rip along the sand and swallow me whole

I can speak, read and write fluently in Russian. So yeah.

Darrk Phoenix
    I'll leave this open because I do think it might be helpful, but I ask that people don't spam it up with a bunch of "I speak..." posts. So the only posts I should see in here are those from people who need help and those from people who are replying with help.

I agree,Phoenix.And,with your permission,could I perhaps sticky this?It may come in handy to everyone,once school starts for everyone and all that.

Could someone post a few basic phrases in japanese for me, in phonics also. With their english meanings of course too! Thanks, great idea.

Vaogun Dar Neo
    I'm having trouble with Latin. Can somebody explain to me the 3rd and 4th principle parts? I used to know them but it was a long summer and I forgot. Thanks!

Originally posted by mugetsu
    Could someone post a few basic phrases in japanese for me, in phonics also. With their english meanings of course too! Thanks, great idea.
    I only know a few, and the spelling may vary a bit (etc), but here's the few I've learned.

Himitsu. - Its a secret. roughly (taken from Lain sub)

O-namae wa... desu. - My name is... .roughly
    --note, desu is a something thats basically like "is", "be", it just makes a sentence complete. slang for it is also "da"

Watashi wa... desu. - I am... roughly Watashi can be exchanged with other names depending on what youre like. Ex: Boku is used by "girly men" (lmao) and girls.

Moshi moshi. - Hello only used on the phone

Ohayo. - Good Morning.

Konnichi wa. - Good Afternoon.

Konban wa. - Good Evening.

Ogenki desu ka? - How are you? roughly ka is used to denote questions.

Arigatou. - "Slang" for Thanks.

Domo. - Also slang for thanks.

Domo arigatou. - More formal.

Domo arigatou gozaimasu - Most formal.

Doo itashimashite. - Think nothing of it; Your welcome

Yatta! - He/She/I/We/You/They did it!

Thats just about it. Ill get more up later.

Sublime Wolfwood
    Here are a few more words/phrases in Japanese. Spelling may be off a bit however.

Gomen: It is the shorter way of saying sorry

Gomenesai: It is the longer/formal version of saying sorry

-Chan: Normally put after a young girl's name

-Kun: Normally put after a young boy's name

-San: Put after a name to show respect, for elders

Chun!: Somewhat like that, used like the french word voila

Kotasu/Kotatsu: Heated quilt device used often by students to keep their legs and feet warm when studying

Then there are the obvious, like bi for "beautiful," and shounen or shojo for boy or girl, etc. Combined they form the words Bishoujo and Bishonen. Random words would be like Kawaii for cute or oniisan and oneesan for older brother and sister or something. Some words are combinations of adjectives and nouns, or something like that.

Sorry, I could not list much, but my mind is going blank. I will say that one should not rely too heavily on other people though, for we all make slight mistakes. An internet check would also be helpful.
    Last edited by Sublime Wolfwood; 09-09-2002 at 01:45 PM.

I'm not a total expert on Japanese, even though I have took lesson for the past 6-7 years...Aiyo. XP I'm still a little between the beginner-intermediate class of this. But anyway, I guess I could at least list a few for you all.^^"

Osewesamadeshita: Thanks.[A common way to say it]

Hajimemashite: Glad to meet you.[In a more, polite way, after saying "Hello, good morning, etc."]

Hai: Yes.

Iie: No.

Doozo yoroshiku: Same here.

Dewa mata: See you soon.

Nihongo/Nippon: Japanese.

Nani/Oro/Nan/Donna: What.[When asking a question]

Minna: Everything.

Minna-san: Everyone.

Eigo: English.

Tabun: Probably, maybe, perhaps.

Nihon: Japan.

Nikko: Shrine.

Sensei: Teacher[In a more formal way. When in a japanese school, you HAVE to say this to your teacher, for respect, of course.]

Hoo: Hmm[usually, when thinking about something/someone/ect.]

Dare desu ka: Who is it?[Dare, also means "who", which you might as well know. Desu and ka are used to make the sentece complete.]

Okaasan: Mom, mother, mommy.

Otoosan: Dad, father, daddy.

- The Four Seasons
    Haru: Spring
    Natsu: Summer
    Aki: Autumn, fall
    Fuyu: Winter

Nani o shite imasu ka: What are you doing?

Chotto ukagaimasu: Excuse me[to be polite or when about to ask something. Used in polite matters.]

Biiru ga arimasu ka: Do you have beer?

Biiru: Beer.

Doko: Where.

Ohaiyoo gozaimasu: Good morning/ good evening.[You may want to say this only during the morning, and after noon, close to evening...eh, whatever. You might as well know why I putted evening and morning there in the first place...so, yeah. ^^"]

Ome ni kakarete yakatta desu: Glad to have met you.[Use this in the end of a conversation. Mostly if you've met someone new to you.]

Sayonara: Good-bye.[Bleh, any baka would might as well know this one...heh. =P]

Baka: Idiot. XP

Ja ne/ Ja mata ne/ Ja mata yo/ Ja mata/ Ja Sayonara/ Ja: See you later, see you, bye.[And other forms of saying "good-bye" and whatnot.]

Mata zehi oai shitai to omoimasu: Hope to see you soon. [See reason for "Ome ni kakarete yakatta desu".]

I'll post some more conversational sentences and phrases.. And maybe some slang ones as well. Heh. ^.^

Ja mata ne.

Shion Uzuki
    Well it isnt hard to translate it really just go to www.altavista.com and go to translations, choose the language you want it to translate to. Pretty straight forward really.

I need help! i want to learn japanese, can anyone help me with that language?

You need help? XP ..Ok sure, why not.^^ I'll glady help you with japanese.. Tho, I may not know a few difficult ones..aiya...gomen ne. -_-*

But anyway, what do you want to know? In Japanese, I mean..lol.^.^"

Ja ne.

Actually Altavista and on-line trans. only give you a rough translation. Try going to a foriegn site and translate it to English. Yeah, not so easy now, eh?

Shion Uzuki
    Haha it is quite easy actually just leave your cursor on the menus and righting/info of the link will come up next to the cursor or at the bottom loading bar.

Well i don't know any japanese i want to learn the language. So i think i will start off from the basics that is a way to learn a language right? unless you know a better way. And a better way to teach me. So you still teaching me then?

Yeah, of course.^_^

Hm...and as for basics...Do you mean in basic words? Phrases? Or preferably...sentences? lol, or rather, all of them? oO Aiyoo! XP lol

Hm.. maybe it'd be best if we start with conversationals..? ^^"

Like for example..

"Konnichi wa."[hello]
    "Ogenki desu ka?"[how are you?]
    "Okage sama de desu ka."[fine, thanks]

And so on, and so on...lol. I think you probably might as well get what I mean by conversationals..heh. Though, if you prefer, I'd also help you with some words you may b curious about..Tho, of course, Japanese would take years to master..but meh, I guess I could at least help you with some words that I might know of, or some people here may as well help yo in any way as well..

So yeah. I guess that's it. If ou have any questions, feel free to ask here..erm..I mean, post here...lol. ^_^"

Ja ne.

Could someone type up some Chinese phrases and words for me?Tiff,I'm looking at you.Cantonese or Mandarin.Mandarin,preferebly.Thanks guys^_^

Sublime Wolfwood
    If anyone is fluent in Russian, or at least know what they are saying...

Would you mind just listing some phrases or something of that sort?

Russian?Sure thing.Most of the english translations are the pronounciations,basically.Easy to follow.

Yes - da
    No - nyet
    Please - pazhalsta
    Thank you - spahseebah
    Good morning - dobrahye ootrah
    Good afternoon - dobriy dyehn
    Good night - spahkoynoy nochee
    Good bye - dah sveezhdahnyah
    What is your name - kahk vaz zavoot
    My name is... - meenya zahvoot...
    How are you - kahk dyela
    Fine thanks,and you - khahrahsho spaseebah, ah vi
    I(don't)understand - ya (neh) pahneemahyu
    Do you speak English - vi guhvahreetye pah-ahngleeyskee
    I don't speak(much)Russian - yah nyeh guhvaryu (mnogah) pah-rooskee
    Hello - privyet(informal)
    I love you - ya loo-blue tibya
    Hello - zdravstvuyte(formal)

All I can remember right now...heh.Sorry.

I use Mandarin. Personally, I find that pin yin and simplified characters are crap. At any rate, Ill be using stuff taken from my Chinese1 textbook as I hella suck with correct pin yin spellings and such. But if you are using just phonetically like conversational, I can also give you that. Its hard to teach via this though. That's generally the only problem.

There is a site, though, for Chinese Phonetics. Mrs. Lee gave the URL to the class today.
    http://chinese.chinaschool.net/learn...e/win_one1.htm
    Im not sure if its good or not, but you could try it out. Try not to mutilate the language too bad, by teh way =P

First of all, there are four tones. Since Im too much of a lazy asshole to get the symbols on top of each character that requires it, I'll just use numbers beside it. Change in tonation, however, changes the meaning itself so be wary of that. For example, calling someone a "silly egg" (rough translation), but with tone 2 instead of 4 on the first character could make it mean... something like "sand egg". :shrug:

1: Plain. Said without change in tone. Usually has "_" over the letter.
    2: Voice Rises. Said... as the sign basically goes, from left to right. Sign is "/" over ;letters.
    3: Voice goes down, then up. Said as the sign goes, as the others. The sign is usually a check, over the letters.
    4: Opposite of 2. Simple as that.

Alright, lets see. Ill take out common ones from the glossary Ill be putting numbers after each syllable that requires it.

yi1: one
    han4yu3: Chinese language
    Zhong1guo2: China
    ba4ba: father
    hao3: good
    lao3shi1: teacher
    ma1ma: mother
    ni3: you
    ni3men: you guys
    nin2: you (polite; personally have never heard it before)
    zai4jian4: goodbye
    han4zi4: Chinese words/characters
    nao3jin1: mind
    ren4: person
    xue2: learn
    zi4: character/word
    xie3: write
    ke3yi3: can (also ke3bu2ke3yi3)
    ni3hao3ma: how are you/hello
    qing3: (pronounced "ching" ) Please/go ahead
    wei4: hey
    xie4xie: thanks
    bu4: not, no
    de: "particle indicating the possessive"
    ming2zi: name
    ni3de: yours, your
    peng2you: friend
    shei2: who
    she2me: what
    shi4: is/are/am (personally I think it should be si4)
    ta1: he/him or she/her (no diff in pronounciation, but characterization determines gender)
    wo3: me/I
    xue2sheng: student

Yeah, that's parts of page 153 in Han2yu3 (guessing tones as its covered and Im not good with determining those things unless I try =P). Hm. Lets see now. Nothing that I can currently (aka Im not willing to think right now =P) think of, so Ill just do some insults =P Tones are approximations

wang3 ba2 den4: bastard/jackass
    ben4 den4: idiot
    sah4 den4: stupid egg (heh)
    zhou2 nao3dai2: pig brain

Yeh, thats four, Im lazy =P Heh, Ill include more later, including TRADITIONAL characters.

SIMPLIFIED CHARACTERS SUCK.

Sublime Wolfwood
    Danke Danke Sierra.

I better go and try it out on one of my Russian friends now.

Here are some more Russian phrases.

"Would you like some..." - Hotite....
    "tea" - Chaioo
    "ice cream" - Morozhenovo
    "pie" - Piroga
    "water" -Vodi
    "Nice to meet you" -Priyatno poznakomitsa
    "Excuse me" -Isvinite/Prostite
    "Please/ you are velcome" -Pozhaluistva
    "Ya lublu......" - I like.....

If you would like some specific phrases translated just ask. And oh yeah I know the slang too.

Shion Uzuki
    Originally posted by Ayumi Hamasaki
    Yeah, of course.^_^

Hm...and as for basics...Do you mean in basic words? Phrases? Or preferably...sentences? lol, or rather, all of them? oO Aiyoo! XP lol

Hm.. maybe it'd be best if we start with conversationals..? ^^"

Like for example..

"Konnichi wa."[hello]
    "Ogenki desu ka?"[how are you?]
    "Okage sama de desu ka."[fine, thanks]

And so on, and so on...lol. I think you probably might as well get what I mean by conversationals..heh. Though, if you prefer, I'd also help you with some words you may b curious about..Tho, of course, Japanese would take years to master..but meh, I guess I could at least help you with some words that I might know of, or some people here may as well help yo in any way as well..

So yeah. I guess that's it. If ou have any questions, feel free to ask here..erm..I mean, post here...lol. ^_^"

Ja ne.
    Okay then we'll start of with conversational sentences. But i dont even know any words for japanese. I dont want to learn to read it yet because i cant even speak it So what can i do? How do they teach english now? Do they start of with nouns? verbs? Can we do that first? or what even it is in japanese.

Palmer
    i can speak fluent french and german and would love to learn japanese!

Anthong
    does any one know Korean?it'll be cool if i know Korean and CHinese(i already know Chinese)

thanks..kupo

Hi there. Someone in the Balamb Garden forum asked what the chinese (? ) symbols that appear in Odin's summoning sequence (in FFVIII) means? And what does Zanetsuken mean btw? Hope someone can help.

And if anyone is interested in learning a few danish words, I'd be glad to help

Sublime Wolfwood
    Korean? Here is a few words, spelling may vary.

An-yung-a-say-yuh: Formal Greeting
    An-yung: Informal Greeting, Farewell
    An-yung-e-ga-say-yuh: Formal Farewell
    Ooo-yoo: Milk
    Nuh: You, Directed to Someone Else
    Na: Yourself
    Han-gook: Korea

Sorry that is not much, I cannot think during the nighttime. Perhaps I will add more later.

Anthong
    thank...i'm still learning the numbers 1-10.. i think this is how it goes

1-something like "eele"

2- "e"

3. something like "saym"

4- "sa"??

5-"oo"

6 ??

7 quelr something like that

8,9,10 ????

Well, i'm 3/5 of the ways there

I still need help...i also know the folowing

otay-how are you

and some others, i think

i can't think of any others

thanks, kupo

later..Un yung

For those who are just dying to go to France but can't speak the language. Just ask me.

I'm also very good with accents so if your dream is to come to Montreal, I can help you with the slangs. I can also come in help of all those Louisiana people who can't understand a damn word from those "Cajuns".

Yo listen up Chinese people. I wanna learned how to say " CLEAR OUT OF THE WAY". Mendarin and Cantonese.

Why ? because it's for work. I wanna surprise these people when I return form my accident.

Sublime Wolfwood
    Here are the numbers 1-10 in Korean
    1. Hanna
    2. Duul
    3. Seht
    4. Neht
    5. Dasuht
    6. Yuhsuht
    7. Eelguup
    8. Yuhduul
    9. Aahope
    10. Yul

Spelling may differ.

For 10-19 just follow this pattern...

11. Yul-Hanna
    ETC...

I will post some more when I get the chance.

EDIT: Who has been teaching you this "Korean?" Otay does not mean How are you. These people are pulling your leg. That is a fake language you are saying, and they are trying to waste your time. Since you are chinese.

Well, if you want to get back at them say this...

Nuh-Gochu-Nala-Gan-Da...

> : )

Cyros of Skye is not responsible for the misuse of this revenge phrase. Xie Xie.
    Last edited by Sublime Wolfwood; 09-30-2002 at 05:21 PM.

Anthong
    Originally posted by Cyros of Skye
    EDIT: Who has been teaching you this "Korean?" Otay does not mean How are you. These people are pulling your leg. That is a fake language you are saying, and they are trying to waste your time. Since you are chinese.

[/I]
    ummm....they're my friends and i tried my Korean on some other Koreans and they understood me perfectly...

Maybe there is a difference in South Korean and North Korean...do you live/know North Korean? Maybe that's it.

Korean? Here is a few words, spelling may vary.
    An-yung-a-say-yuh: Formal Greeting
    An-yung: Informal Greeting, Farewell
    An-yung-e-ga-say-yuh: Formal Farewell
    Ooo-yoo: Milk
    Nuh: You, Directed to Someone Else
    Na: Yourself
    Han-gook: Korea
    These were all right, though

what's going on???

kupo

Sublime Wolfwood
    Uh, North Korean?

First of all, there is no difference.

Second of all, I am from the South of Korea AKA Dae-han-mi-guk.

Sorry to say this, but those numbers that you said are completely wrong. They must either be setting you up, or the Korean Language has changed completely.

It probably is an elaborate scheme, for I can speak, read, and write.

If you do not believe me, I will get proof.

EDIT: The numbers they are teaching you are for quantities, I just remembered. Elee, sam, sah, etc. But Otay is wrong.
    Last edited by Sublime Wolfwood; 09-30-2002 at 06:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast