2 9.09%
  • Me gusta.

20 90.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spam (warnings) for everyone!

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Spam (warnings) for everyone! che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Spam (warnings) for everyone!

So say, if we post something in another language that translates to 5 english words, but only takes 3-4 of the other language, is that ok?

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    So say, if we post something in another language that translates to 5 english words, but only takes 3-4 of the other language, is that ok?
    Lol. That was a pretty nice idea. XD
    Yet, why do you want to write a post in another language than English? Except of course you'd make a "Let's all speak Russian!"-thread or something like that.

I like this new rule.
    But I don't think it should be considered in MB - welcoming new members shouldn't force out too many words. (Although I like people who welcome new members saying more than just "welcome to TFF" (three words, but if you don't write TFF and instead write The Final Fantasy Forums, it'd be more than five words ).

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Lady Succubus Spam (warnings) for everyone! Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly.

Screw the 5 words thing. That's too gentle. A lot of people seem to be for this type of thing, so let's up the ante.

200 characters, as was suggested. Also, must type grammatically correct. If you do not, the staff will edit your post to -be- grammatically correct. If you do not catch the hint after a certain amount of time...

...You will be banned. Capice? (Obviously there will be some lenience to those that English isn't their first language.. but at least use punctuation, yes?)

Some of you may be thinking that something like this is extremely too harsh. But trust me, it works. I attend (occasionally) a forum that has this type of system in it, and the community is wonderful.
    Last edited by Victoria; 09-08-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Blog Entries

It should be long enough to get a clear message out, but not so long that it turns people into monsters of redundancy. So I'm thinking. Like tots 750 characters, min.

Registered User Spam (warnings) for everyone! Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    200 characters, as was suggested. Also, must type grammatically correct. If you do not, the staff will edit your post to -be- grammatically correct. If you do not catch the hint after a certain amount of time...

...You will be banned. Capice? (Obviously there will be some lenience to those that English isn't their first language.. but at least use punctuation, yes?)
    No. That's just a really silly rule to enforce, and not necessary at all. Banning members because their grammar isn't up to your standard is just borderline stupid. Sorry, not for it. In fact, I really hope you were being sarcastic.

Xana, I'm pretty sure Victoria wasn't serious about that.
    It'd take DAYS to correct all the spelling mistakes. (And the staff isn't perfect either. ^^")
    Plus, it'd be way too much work to find out where a person comes from every time before editing the post.
    It'd probably work for about... 1 hour. Then all the mods would screw it.

Besides, I've seen things like that in a forum I once was s-mod in - one of the mods REALLY corrected every member. And she even wanted to forbid them to post, UNTIL they've learned how to spell correctly. (Not to mention most of those didn't come to the forum anymore.) Goddamn how I hated this b....! <<"

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

The Old Skool Warrior Spam (warnings) for everyone! LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

...she wasn't being sarcastic, I can vouch for that - but I would not condone such behavior. It would be deplorable to warn/ban people for poor grammar. I'm sure a lot of the frustration in that post comes from the situation to begin with.

We're too strict.
    We're too lenient.
    Oh, we're too strict again.
    Oh, we're too lenient again.

It gets old.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Lady Succubus Spam (warnings) for everyone! Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually was serious.

And obviously past spelling mistakes do not count. Just ones from here on out. And obviously the staff would be expanded, mods dedicated to correct spelling errors and such.

And you don't need to find out where a person is coming from just to correct their spelling. I may have said 'grammar', but I really just meant 'spelling and punctuation'.

Like I said, it may come off as really harsh and stupid, but seriously, it works. The community will be much better.

And it's not "my standard". It's the "normal" standard. It's "typing normally".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few typos are fine. We all make typos.

im mostly tlking abt ppl who type lik dis n stuf. no1 wantz 2 c ppl typ lik dis.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Cesar pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line: Since the 5 words thing is being trolled to all hell, let's up it to 200 characters or so.

The Old Skool Warrior Spam (warnings) for everyone! LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If we really want to go with the character requirements, I can always modify the forums so that they automatically reject posts that don't meet the standards - a select few of you may recall when it was like that seven or eight years ago. Certainly, some forums would be excluded from that requirement.

I don't particularly care to do that, but if the community moves in favor of it, I'm down with whatevs.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    If we really want to go with the character requirements, I can always modify the forums so that they automatically reject posts that don't meet the standards - a select few of you may recall when it was like that seven or eight years ago. Certainly, some forums would be excluded from that requirement.

I don't particularly care to do that, but if the community moves in favor of it, I'm down with whatevs.
    yeah I remember that, I also remember people getting around it by just using quote replys as well for the words to count towards the 200 characters.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    A few typos are fine. We all make typos.

im mostly tlking abt ppl who type lik dis n stuf. no1 wantz 2 c ppl typ lik dis.
    Ah, okay, then I just misunderstood what you wanted to say, Victoria. ^^" I really thought you'd want to eliminate every single typing mistake. I don't like "ppl typing like dis" either. ^^" Mostly because I need some minutes to know what the person was writing about.
    THAT would be okay, but I'd rather warn the post instead of correcting it.

But you did say that you don't want to be that strict when people don't speak English as their first language - so what about them now? How strict do you want to be?

The IDEA of watching over grammar isn't that bad, but I really don't see how you can possibly DO that.

@Cain: That'd be a pretty good idea, although it'd be bad for the word games.

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Asking all the personal questions. Spam (warnings) for everyone! RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

I think that is a bit harsh, the only person trolling this thread is che, to go out and say f it we are upping the ante to 200 characters because the majority of people are talking seriously about this thread and throwing ideas and queries into the mix is overboard.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying it is a bad idea it just seems like that was altered because some one had the sh*ts, and I am not trying to troll or flame that just how it looks from my perspective I may be wrong.

Also we have very little activity on this forum as it is compared to other FF forums don't you think being to strict will again reduce the activity or turn welcome members away to the other sites, don't we want to promote this forum not push everyone away.
    I understand about the grammar and or punctuation though.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

TFF's Resident Messenger Spam (warnings) for everyone! Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RamesesII View Post
    I think that is a bit harsh, the only person trolling this thread is che, to go out and say f it we are upping the ante to 200 characters because the majority of people are talking seriously about this thread and throwing ideas and queries into the mix is overboard.
    Considering the average English word has five letters, that is only 40 words (less if you include spaces as characters). I enjoy reading the well-thought, well-versed opinions of members. The short "go-nowhere" responses to threads are actually a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by RamesesII View Post
    Also we have very little activity on this forum as it is compared to other FF forums don't you think being to strict will again reduce the activity or turn welcome members away to the other sites, don't we want to promote this forum not push everyone away.
    I understand about the grammar and or punctuation though.
    As far as the activity, I wouldn't know. I am not a member of any other forum. Would you be able to show some evidence on this point. I know that when I was first searching for a Final Fantasy Forum, TFF was the first on the list of search results. These results were based on the number of times the term "Final Fantasy Forum" was actually searched. NOTE: This was in March, things may have changed in 6 months.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Passing fair judgement Spam (warnings) for everyone! Judge Magistrate's Avatar

The inactivity is due to a lot of schools starting and college courses continuing. I can speak for myself being busy from college and work. I don't think it's a bad idea for warnings to be handed out for a word "shortage", but it might cause more problems than it's worth. I do hate how ppl typ lik dis sometimes, it's annoying and hard to read.
    None shall escape judgement, all shall fall by my blade.

My TFF family
    EveVanilla
    Firefly-The Greatest Little Sister Ever
    Ruin-My bro working in the military
    Nickness89-My brother from another mother
    angelmarie190515-My mentor and greatest older sister
    A Hero without a Name- My brother in arms
    Raven Zecht-Herald of what is to come
    LadyWinchester-The mistress of light and dark

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Bass Player Extraordinaire Spam (warnings) for everyone! Joe's Avatar

Rocky is a total badass.

Wait, does A count as a word? What about I, or are they just letters?
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Passing fair judgement Spam (warnings) for everyone! Judge Magistrate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Rocky is a total badass.

Wait, does A count as a word? What about I, or are they just letters?
    A and I count as words . Not sure if the mods would think so though .
    None shall escape judgement, all shall fall by my blade.

My TFF family
    EveVanilla
    Firefly-The Greatest Little Sister Ever
    Ruin-My bro working in the military
    Nickness89-My brother from another mother
    angelmarie190515-My mentor and greatest older sister
    A Hero without a Name- My brother in arms
    Raven Zecht-Herald of what is to come
    LadyWinchester-The mistress of light and dark

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Boxer of the Galaxy Spam (warnings) for everyone! Rowan's Avatar

nix was the only one complaining. This isnt necassary especially since he is now banned.

#LOCKE4GOD Spam (warnings) for everyone! Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can I PLEASE be a grammar/spelling mod?! That would complete my life.

Provided I get a brown shirt and jackboots to go with.

I'm not kidding. I'm totally down to edit posts for grammar.

Memento RK Spam (warnings) for everyone! Yoko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^Me too? I would LOVE to be able to go into posts and fix grammar/spelling. It bugs me so much.
    [CENTER]
    The one and ONLY Female member of CPC8 Makin' it HAPPEN!

Things!!:

Sneaky Member of EVIL BAD GUYS

MSN RANDOMS:
    Brett Litz says (5:50 PM)
    (my first letter of my first name key is ****ed up, so i can't type that)
    vrett
    -_-
    ve yourself
    is what i said
    not "do you"
    ugh

Best RP:Final Fantasy Chronicles of Exigo~The Fall of Spira
    Check it out. The Fall of Spira is finished!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Can I PLEASE be a grammar/spelling mod?! That would complete my life.

Provided I get a brown shirt and jackboots to go with.
    You cant end a sentence with 'with'... unless you are explaining to someone why they cant end a sentence with 'with'.

Blog Entries

...yes you can. When writing informally. I say "to go with" all the time, when the subject is already clear.

I was only being half serious. Apparantly you cant start a sentence off with 'but' either. Thats what I was taught anyway.

Blog Entries

I'm not down with a kiwi attempting to fix my grammar on the random nights I get drunk and troll tff with all kinds of threads/replies. Because who the **** knows how that will end up.

Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Blog Entries

The suffix -ize will be eliminated, as will the use of "mom". But how bad can it be?

Asking all the personal questions. Spam (warnings) for everyone! RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The suffix -ize will be eliminated, as will the use of "mom". But how bad can it be?
    This I agree with but if Alpha can't even punctuate his own sentences.
    What does me gusta mean?

Edit: More seriously, deal with necroposting too/first. I'd also support a 'one piece of punctuation' minimum rule. Because if you can't even put a full stop at the end of your sentence then there is no hope
    Notice the absence of a full stop at the end and it is not edited I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swayne View Post
    Considering the average English word has five letters, that is only 40 words (less if you include spaces as characters). I enjoy reading the well-thought, well-versed opinions of members. The short "go-nowhere" responses to threads are actually a bit annoying.
    Why would you include spaces as characters? Ok I agree there especially in theGeneral chat threads but what about the threads such as 'What was the laswt Cd you bought'
    Is a 200 character post still required and if so then I believe threads like this should be moved to the Humor Word forum, another thing the mods can clean up, any threads that suffice with a post less than 200 characters should all be moved to the HW forum.

As far as the activity, I wouldn't know. I am not a member of any other forum. Would you be able to show some evidence on this point. I know that when I was first searching for a Final Fantasy Forum, TFF was the first on the list of search results. These results were based on the number of times the term "Final Fantasy Forum" was actually searched. NOTE: This was in March, things may have changed in 6 months.
    No comment.

On another note I would be happy to be 'Chief three month old thread closer' seeing as I found threads with the latest activity January 2011 which would help prevent a lot of necro posting that Nix was talking about.
    Nix may have been the only one complaining but he had a point.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Registered User Spam (warnings) for everyone! Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, Vicky, I kind of agree with RamesisII when he pointed out that it could reduce activity. Being so pointlessly strict about how a person chooses to type out a post will just drive members away and that's not what these forums need. They need a boost of activity, not ways to reduce it.

Also, you said everybody does a typo now and then and that they could be overlooked, but isn't that unfair on another member who is constantly being reprimanded just cuz dey tipe lyk dis? There's no way of that being fair or unbiased. You'd either have to warn every member for every single spelling/grammar mistake which in turn will just drive members away, or you can just forget the rule over all.

And also, constantly having your posts corrected by people with sticks up their arses about the way a word is ****ing spelt is just embarrassing and unfair.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think characters is a good idea, actually. The five word limit is being trololololed (can't say it wasn't asked for either lol). Two-hundred characters seems reasonable, until people start leaving gibberish at the end of their post to make up for missing characters. ¬¬

I don't care for editing posts "lyk dis" though. Quite honestly, I tend to hide from members like that. If we edit those posts, I'll have to read them, and I might actually like them because I don't know who they are.

Plus, I can't be assed to spend my time editing other people's spelling, grammar, punctuation and post layout. Even mine isn't always perfect.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

200 character limitations are not bad and would be something that I would support. I think a well thought out post is better then 4 short unclear crappy ones. Then again if the thread starter takes the time to actually think out the OP then 200 character responces will follow in most cases.

For instance: instead of a thread titled "who's your favorite blah blah blah" they could throw an "and why" into the mix and insite further longer responces. Then again there willalways be noobs that come back and state "Cloud because he pwns".

As far as grammar police; this is a game site not a lit forum. There is no such need for peoples posts to be trolled by a mod looking for mistakes. In short I think thisidea is far fetched and not nessicary.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Blog Entries

Well Cloud does pwn and thats all that has to be said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    As far as grammar police; this is a game site not a lit forum. There is no such need for peoples posts to be trolled by a mod looking for mistakes. In short I think thisidea is far fetched and not nessicary.
    lol, I couldn't imagine your inbox if that rule happened to come into place. I think they would have to hire your own personal grammar police person

200 characters aren't necessary for threads like gen chat. People like loaf may only write out 1-2 sentences, but he gets his point across more effectively then someone like Andromeda for instance, who just dances around the topic and writes at least 100 paragraphs each post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast