Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Realm of Myth

Air from my lungs. Realm of Myth Violet's Avatar

Realm of Myth

Intro

Finally, the Realm of Myth is here. Mysteries, legends, and superstitions of all the creatures in fantasy is what this club is about. Lovers of fantasy, this is for you to enjoy. Movies/television, literature, drawings, music, or whatever you can think of are up for discussion.

Activities: For now, there is "Creature of the Week". Every week, one of the group leaders picks a lesser known creature and posts information about it. This will allow those to have a wider knowledge on creatures other than the typical vampire or dragon. Based on what is said about the chosen creature, members are to draw their interpretation/version of it. You don't have to be a good artist, as looking at any of them will be interesting to see what everyone could come up with. However, it is optional.

Categories/Members

First, we'll start off with the species you would like to belong to. Pick a creature that fits under the category. If you want to be a Fae, for example, think of the creatures that are grouped there. The only thing you can't be is a Deity, for that is what I, the creator of this club, am. Here is the list:

Fae
    (Fae is the name given to a type of mythological being, usually forms of nature spirit. Creatures under this category could include typical fairies, elves, dwarves, trolls, brownies, will o' the wisps, gnomes, sylphs, kelpies.)

Leader: Gobble Vamp - Queen Faerie
    1.. Aerif - Kelpie

Beasts
    (Mythological beasts are a wide category of non-humanoid beings that do not shift shape. Examples include dragons, griffins, phoenixes, chimera, nues, manticore, Cerberus, carbuncles, and Hydra.

Leader: Dimarik - Golden Dragon
    1.. Crazy Chocobo - Faerie Dragon
    2.. Djinn - World Serpent
    3.. Storm - Ocean Dragon

Daemons
    (vampires, succubus, incubus, overseers, goblins and all things infernal)

Leader: Sinister - Lord Vampire
    1.. Toph Bei Fong - Succubus

Shape-Shifters
    (A shape shifting creature is one who can assume multiple forms regardless of what they are. Examples of shape-shifters include were-wolves, selkies, doppelgangers, skin-walkers and other lesser known therianthropes than the werewolf including creatures such as bears, hawks and were-cats which are typically a domestic cat, tiger, lion, leopard or lynx. They can also include the mortals changed into animals by various greater beings and other creatures forced to become another through whatever means.)

Leader: Nathan - Alpha Werewolf
    1.. Yuki-onna - Werecat

Demi
    (Demis(also can be considered as "halflings") here refer to creatures that seem half human to some extent. While some could find themselves in other categories, examples could include half-elves, centaurs, merfolk, dhampir or any other creature half human and half something else in appearance..)

Leader: Xeim - Half-Elven Sage
    1.. OceanEyes28 - Mermaid

Rules

1... No arguing. Take it into msn or a pm if you must.
    2... Don't take this too seriously. Keep in mind that this is fantasy.
    3... No spamming.
    4... Only the leaders pick creature of the week.

Now, just answer the following questions upon joining:

- What would you consider your favorite mythical creature?
    - What are your least favorite mythological/fantasy creatures?
    - Which mythological or fantasy creature matches your personality the most?
    - If you were a mythical creature, where would you prefer to live and why?

And that's all there is for now. If you have a suggestion or something to recommend, don't be shy to mention it. We're all open for new ideas.

Creature of the Week

1. Tsukumogami

2. Barghest
    Last edited by Violet; 05-19-2008 at 07:28 AM.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Probably a werewolf as I can identify with the power and primal fury of a werewolf. And there's that sense of wonder I associate with them. The ability to transform into something else intrigues me, especially when I wonder further about changes in other parts of a form such as the brain.

Honestly? The hoop snake, a mythical creature Australians use to poke fun at tourists. The drop bear myth is a load more fun, as it can scare the crap out of tourists, especially if they've never seen a koala or heard it's roar.

Once again, probably the were-wolf. I'm powerful, have my barely in control moments and can do massive physical damage. And then there are the times when I'm completely cool and no-one would assume me to be as strong as I am unless they have experienced my other side.

Inside a house as normal. Just because I were a mythical creature wouldn't mean I would want to live any differently. Caves and large bodies of water just don't sound all that comfortable to live in all my life.

Of further note, great to be a member Ann. ^^
    victoria aut mors

Registered User Realm of Myth Dimi's Avatar
    Bitchin!!! The club is up at last. You're awesome Ann. =]

Tough one. It's been a while since I've studied any part of mythology. I have two that just pops in my head while just thinking about this which the first one is a Cerberus. A three-headed dog is freaking sweet dude!!! And what's even more amazing is how it has a snake for a tail. The other one would be a banshee. They're extremely loud but they capture my interest for some reason. Also, does a vampire count as one? I like vampires. Really dark and mysterious and the female vampires are extremely sexy.

-What are your least favorite mythological/fantasy creatures?
    A male mermaid. I hate how some people catergorize a male mermaid as mereman or mereboy or just call them a mermaid. Why not call them merdude? Or merpimp? Or merman? It's demasculating to us guys if we were ever actually mere people and to be labelled as a "mermaid." ><

-Which mythological or fantasy creature matches your personality the most?
    A dragon most likely. To me, they symbolize strength and power similar to me. And another one would be a vampire. I do have this mysterious side to me that no one knows which I rarely show. It's my little secret. [hehe]

-If you were a mythical creature, where would you prefer to live and why?
    This one's easy, a vampire!!!! I'd live in Cristina Scabbia's basement and turn it into this vampiric kinky yet sensual sex dungeon for her and I.
    Last edited by Dimi; 04-13-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Lady Succubus Realm of Myth Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What would you consider your favorite mythical creature?
    Vampire and/or Succubus. Those two are the most that fit with my personality type, which is that of a flirtatious woman who knows not the meaning of the word shame. Though I prefer Succubus as my identity.

What are your least favorite mythological/fantasy creatures?
    I don't really have one, to be honest. Kraken, I suppose. They're kind of ugly.

Which mythological or fantasy creature matches your personality the most?
    See #1. Vampire and/or Succubus. Explanation in #1.

If you were a mythical creature, where would you prefer to live and why?
    Kim Harrison's world, most likely. It's the most entertaining I've read so far. Even though I just started reading her first book, Dead Witch Walking. I'd most likely be a model in that world.

Blog Entries

I've always had a strange fascination with dragon's, I don't know what makes me like them so much but I obsess over them, my wall actually has pictures of dragons on it that I found on the internet.

I guess the way to explain it is that I can be a bit of a pyro-maniac, fire is my thing.

The Haggis. Depending on the depiction it can be quite ugly and not a very good image in mytholigical Scotland. Though they can be quite fun to trick tourists with, as they really believe almost anything you tell them about Haggii (which may be the plural of Haggis)

I'm really torn between two different types of mytho creatures, one being the Kelpie, which in folklore is a seal (or was it sealion...) that has the abillity to turn into a human. The story goes that the kelpie becomes so attached to a human that she marries him as a human and forgets her origins as a kelpie, which kind of reflects on me as I have a tendency to getting to warmed up to a person and I'm the kind of person willing to adapt for the people I love.

Also, though I'd rather not say it out loud, I have similarites to the 'fairy' species which are seen as being incredibly kind. I just sweat kindness.

Depending on my species, I'd probably be habitating wherever was most appropiate. If I was somehow a Kelpie then probably by the sea, as it would probably be where I was most happy.

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

Morning Always Comes Realm of Myth Xeim's Avatar
    Yay! Club's up! ^_^ Whee!

Well, that’s a toughie. >_> Not too many pop into my head at the moment. It’s probably between elves and vampires, though. Two really well known mythical creatures, I know, but oh well. xD I’ve had a fascination with vampires since I was little….and elves…I dunno. They’re just there. xD

Least favorite? -_- I’m supposed to choose one that I hate? Oh...maybe a chimera. They feel overused to me. They aren’t as well known as say…vampires or werewolves, but they’re still found in like…everything. And, on top of that, each thing has some different, weird way of portraying them. O_O

Well, it looks like I ended up a unicorn. xD I didn’t know unicorns had definite personalities, but apparently they do, according to at least 5 “What Mythical Creature are You?” quizzes. Hehe. ^^; I suppose you describe unicorns as intelligent, unique, wise, and dreamy. Haha. Probably calm, too, but…I’m far from being calm. xD

Where would I want to live? Well, I don’t really see a problem with where I am now, but if I had to choose another place, it would probably be a forest. And one with some mighty tall trees, too. And a nice hidden little spring here and there. xD I guess the unicorn thing fits, right?

"A promised land where fairies wait, with room just enough for two. So deliver me, help me to forget the tribulations of the day and to stay in this dream of night, where I can be thinking of you forever- take me to my bliss." - Ora and Sue's "Clover"

Only the Greatest Stuffs:

Honored to be 2008's Best Roleplayer alongside Dragonheart.

Image of Tsubasa's Fay from the Infinity arc colored and cleaned by moi. Sig by moi, aussi.

Lady Rika is my Sacrifice Echoless

My TFF Family
    Froggie, Nick, Lady Rika, Darkwolf, Sinister,
    Flash, Craven, Ann, CLOUD, Kaos_Dragon,
    Mistress Sheena, Silver, Tiger Lily, Yuuki, Halie, Rocco
    Jenova33,
    Dark Rider, Fishie, Refieth

A Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation
    Xeilie Peanut Butter, now featuring sitting ducks and deformed monkeys!

Evenesca, Halie and my home planet.
    It is a wonderful world ruled by Reno, where rainbow skin is a common sight.
    Odd numbers are illegal, hence the even number of words in this paragraph.

Member of FF Cult

Sir Prize Realm of Myth Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Excellent. I'm glad to see the club is up. I'll answer the questions now, I suppose.

Favorite. I certainly seem to flock to vampires again and again, but I don't think they are my favorite. I like ghosts and doppelgangers ect...but not my favorite.

I suppose the female Gorgons, Fates, Sphynxs Harpys, Lamias, Sirens, and Succubi would be my favorite. Particularly Medusa. A tragic and horrible figure.

Leprechauns. Enough said. I hate them.

A Ghost.

The grotto of the Cumaean Sybil on the shores of Lake Avernus in southern Italy. Always wanted to see it, and given it's history and significance, it would be a handy place to haunt.

There

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Welcome to the club, you guys .

Werewolves. I like their mysterious/aggressive ways. Plus, they're really cool looking.

Least favorite? Trolls, totally. They're just so ugly and stupid. I always hated them and those stupid little troll dolls(I liked troll dolls' hairs though). I think I hated that troll from A Troll In Central Park cartoon, too.

I'd have to say a mermaid. I don't really like ocean water or seafood, but personality wise.. I'm pretty quiet and shy for the most part, but I can also be a little cunning/mischievous.

- If you were a mythical creature, where would you prefer to live and why? Definitely a forest. It'd be far away from civilization and if I was some big creature like a werewolf, I wouldn't have to worry about bears or anything like that. Forests are peaceful and beautiful places when no humans are around. They're also quite mysterious and dangerous.

Here's our first topic to talk about:

"Which creatures do you think are possibly real in our world? How do they exist and in what form?"

Which creatures do you think are possibly real in our world? How do they exist and in what form?

Personally I prefer to keep an open mind and feel the most likely candidates fo real monsters are older species of animals who are now either extinct or close to extinction who hide away from men, or their habitats are secluded, as well as creatures such as ghosts, lycanthropes and vampires who are mentioned in several different region's myths, even if the tales of them are slightly different in nature.

I also believe some myths are more what people perceive than what is actually reality. Half the ghost stories may just be that, stories. Some wind blew something, someone thought they saw something... Like that.
    victoria aut mors

Which creatures do you think are possibly real in our world? How do they exist and in what form?

I think any of them could have existed at one point. I mean, the legends had to get started somewhere. However, seeing as we doing have winged half birds stealing our food, some mythological creatures obviously can't exist in our current time. The ocean is vast, ocean creatures like mermaids could exist. Vampires, werewolves, they're pretty good at blending in. Ghosts...well, they're just souls who haven't found rest. So, if you believe in souls, they can very much be real.

Though, if a lot of them DID exist, we'd have to hear something about it at one point or another. So, I don't know. But it's nice to think some of them are loitering around somewhere. Otherwise, this world would just feel too boring. >_>

--Xeim--

"A promised land where fairies wait, with room just enough for two. So deliver me, help me to forget the tribulations of the day and to stay in this dream of night, where I can be thinking of you forever- take me to my bliss." - Ora and Sue's "Clover"

Image of Tsubasa's Fay from the Infinity arc colored and cleaned by moi. Sig by moi, aussi.

My TFF Family
    Jenova33,

Member of FF Cult

Well I am a Dragon lover, I have been for a number of years now. They are a beautiful creature and I wish they really did exist in our world. My favorite type of Dragon would be either a Faerie Dragon or an Ice Dragon, both are lovely. Fairies, Unicorns and Vampires are also awesome in my books, I love them. Mermaids are another favorite! I can't just pick one!

A Goblin I suppose, they are annoying little creatures! There's also Trolls and Gremlins, they aren't that great either in my opinion. ><

Hmm, possibly a fairy or a mermaid. I'm quiet and very shy but I can be very loud and silly at times too. It depends on the people I am with. I just did a mythological quiz and apparently I am a Nymph! Fairies are awesome though too!

In a forest, or in the woods some where. That would be a wonderful place to be. It would be peaceful and the surroundings would be lovely. It would have a pleasant freshness smell which would be even better when it rained! The view at night would be gorgeous with all the stars and the moon clearly visible.

Hope that's okay.

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Hmm, do psychic vampires count? I do believe in those kind of vampires. The ones in the old times are the ones I would want to think actually existed at one point on this Earth. It'd be really awesome if they did though.

A myth creature I do believe today that are still in existence are banshees. And by banshees, I mean my sister yelling and my neighbor cackling over the phone or hearing her scream when her boyfriend's throwing something at her. It's annoying honestly but in an odd way I do believe banshees have went through "evolution" as well and is now looking more like us.

Well, I'd be a Shapeshifter. It's what I do.

As for the questions:

Probably vampires, closely followed by werewolves. They're probably the most popular of creatures, and the most misunderstood and have the most absurd speculations. I love knowing about them though. They speak much to my fantastical brain.

Bigfoot. I don't really like monkey's, and I think it's a load of crock. Oh and aliens. I believe they're pure fantasy.

A were-cat. I'm like that.
    No, really. I grab my skin from the hollow tree I keep it in and go ravage people in the night when I'm feeling down. It's great exercise, too.

A dense forest, populated by many beasts and creatures like myself. Good god I'd have fun. No machines, pesky men, or roads and buildings and cities....ah.
    I remember when you were happy with a RADISH.

Yeah, I think any of these creatures may have existed at one point. I honestly don't know though, anything could exist out there. I wish Dragons existed, especially the huge ones.. that would be amazing. It might not be the best idea though if they attacked us lol. Vampires could possibly exist, they could be out there but I'm not sure if I would like that much. >_>

I would love to think that many of those creatures existed once or still do exist out there!

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Originally posted by Crazy Chocobo
    I wish Dragons existed, especially the huge ones.. that would be amazing. It might not be the best idea though if they attacked us lol.
    haha I was thinking the same thing now that you mentioned it. It'd be awesome though if were able to train them. Then there wouldn't be a need for cars or planes or even wasting money on gas.

This is an awesome idea for a club! Something that hasn't been done 100 times

I'll have to go for beasts, World Serpent if you need a specific kind o.O; Its technically Midgard Serpent, but thats too FF7 for me XD

It has to be dragons for this, i've always liked them. They look awesome and i'm sure they'd be kicking lots of ass if they actually existed. As for a specific favourite i'd have to say Jormungandr, just because i love norse mythology and its a weird name that no-one ever see's.

I'm going to have to go with Sinister on this one. Leprechauns.

A fairy! Haha, ahem, sorry XD. I'd have to be some kind of ethereal being, since i tend to do things and not get noticed, which is good and bad i guess .

In some kind of forest/rainforest, just for the scenery and people wouldn't be able to bother me too often XD

(Welcome to the club, Djinn, CC, and Yuki. )

I decided that now is the time for our first Creature of the Week event. It may be Saturday here, but for some it is Sunday.

Creature of the Week
    The first creature presented this week shall be...

Tsukumogami

A plain old object is just a plain old object.. but once it reaches 100 years of age, it can obtain a soul and is thus called a tsukumogami. Such creatures derive from Japanese mythology. Rather than a regular item that has been enchanted, these are considered actual spiritual beings. There are different types of tsukumogami. After becoming alive and aware, they gain new features, but it depends on what the object is.

Examples:
    sandals, umbrellas, lanterns, old jars, dust cloths, cloth draped from folding screens, tea kettle, scrolls and paper, clocks, books.

If the object that becomes a tsukumogami is a lantern or anything with tears(perhaps books), it will have demonic features such as sharp teeth and evil eyes. Some can look peaceful, such as jewelry or anything smooth. Tsukumogami are repelled by electricity, therefore, objects that use electricity cannot turn into tsukumogami. In modern times, it is said that there are few of them because most of the things people use rely on electric power.

They aren't much of a threat if treated properly, although playing pranks is something they enjoy. If they ARE mistreated such as being torn or broken(warning: keep out of reach of children), they will group together and attack. Ceremonies are held to prevent this by calming down the souls of the old damaged items.

Here is one example of what a lantern tsukumogami may look like:

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs6/i/200...ingMonster.jpg

the art is by http://kingmonster.deviantart.com/

.. and that wraps it up. If you want to add to that, be my guest .

Sources: Wikipedia
    Last edited by Violet; 04-19-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Taken from: http://www.obakemono.com/obake/tsukumogami.gif

An interesting first choice Ann.
    Aye there's not much left to say, as you've summed it up well, but I thought I'd post in the above picture. It amused me somewhat.
    Actually I've got a few antiques nearing 100 years of age...

More info can be found on the site I nicked that picture from:
    http://www.obakemono.com/obake/tsukumogami/
    Last edited by Furore; 04-19-2008 at 06:55 AM.
    victoria aut mors

Lady Succubus Realm of Myth Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, i've known about those spirits. They actually make an appearance in a few anime, or are even mentioned.

Two that come to my mind right away are Azumanga Daioh and Rosario + Vampire.
    Did I mention that Succubi are shapeshifters too? They have to be to lure their prey and lower their defenses, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Toph Bei Fong
    Did I mention that Succubi are shapeshifters too? They have to be to lure their prey and lower their defenses, hehe.
    Succubi? Ahhh I have to brush up on my pdf copy of the Malleus Maleficarum. Lord bless translators. ^^

Take a looksee here if you're interested. http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/downloads/index.html

I had always thought Succubi were just demons that appeared as pervasions of beautiful women who could appear as the real thing in dreams...
    More an illusion thing than a shape changing thing.
    I could be wrong though...
    victoria aut mors

Creature of the Week

Barghest

A barghest is a mythical creature with English origins, often an enormous monstrously featured spectral black dog with massive teeth and claws. They are sometimes (though not always) said to have fiery red eyes. Though this is the typical Yorkshire view of a barghest, other places such as Northumberland and Durham can refer to a barghest as a ghost or a house elf (one who looks after the house it inhabits). A story states that a barghest attacks travellers who are on their own in he Snickelways of York. (Snickelways being smaller streets and alleyways). While not the most well known mythical creature, barghest references can be seen in R.A. Salvatore's Sojourn (book three of the Forgotten realms based 'The Dark Elf Trilogy'), in assorted television programs, role playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons and video games such as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy XII, Fire Emblem and Icewind Dale 2.

http://i30.tinypic.com/1tn6tw.png

I found this picture, visible here at http://www.elfwood.com/art/f/l/flida...ghest.jpg.html .
    It's by one S. J. Edwards, and probably the best picture I could find sifting through several pages of Google images.
    Last edited by Furore; 04-26-2008 at 09:59 PM.
    victoria aut mors

Gingersnap Realm of Myth OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, okay. You have helped me decide so I will join.

They're all so flippin sweet... but for the purposes of this club... mermaids. In fact, you may put me down as one. It was a close call with phoenixes, but I've loved mermaids since I was little. And I always thought banshees were really cool.... MERMAIDS.

Hmm. Satyrs are pretty pervy. Not a fan of that.

lol satyrs. But seeeriously, I'd say... hmm. Shit. I guess I can be a little mermaid-like.

Unda da sea. Dahling it's betta down where it's wetta, take it from me.

But uh, yeah, fun times in tropical waters. As long as I had company. Being a mermaid all alone in a large ocean wouldn't be super fun.

I apologize for the lack of thought in this post, but it's late and I'm tired. I will do better next time!
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

(Welcome, Ali )

I could've sworn I've heard of a Barghest somewhere before. I can't quite pin it down where, though. It certainly sounds cool. I have yet to encounter any in Fire emblem. I remember all those dog creatures in FF12, but they didn't really look like the one in that picture. Different designs, I suppose. Interesting choice, Nathan ^^.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs8/i/200...y_Dunewolf.jpg

Here's a better picture I thought I'd add to the pile, which is drawn by this guy: Dunewolf
    Last edited by Violet; 04-27-2008 at 03:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    I actually knew the origins for this one... Unlike last week's (though Nathan's images did actually make me want to laugh)

I do believe that Barghests still functions as an important part of Yorkshire folklore, as when I visited York last year I recall seeing various references to the large canine. Of course, at the time I actually thought it had something to do with Sirius Black from Harry Potter, but that was because one of the bigger references was quite close to a large book-store.

And now that I've found out that the create actually exists in mythology it makes me wonder whether J.K. Rowling actually had any original ideas for mythological creatures.

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

Alrighty. Discussion proposal...thingy. I came up with this one while researching for a Creature of the Week. So, since all that didn't matter...here it is! =P

Upon browsing through lists of mythological creatures, you will more than likely find that different mythologies often have very similar creatures. What reasons do you suppose would give rise to such a phenomenon?

I'd have to say it might have to do with influences cultures have on each other. However, some of the areas that have similar creatures are across the world from each other. Perhaps they're inaccurate views of real creatures? But then, some of them are too wacky to have ever been a real (known) creature. Then there's the thought that they themselves could've been real. =/

Anyone have thoughts on this?

My TFF Family
    Jenova33,

Member of FF Cult

Ooh, this is quite entertaining.

Upon browsing through lists of mythological creatures, you will more than likely find that different mythologies often have very similar creatures. What reasons do you suppose would give rise to such a phenomenon?

Hmm...I'd say word of mouth in the old days. Handy, but easy to be exaggerated, warped, and mixed up. There used to be storytellers who would travel countries in their lifetimes...gathering tales, keeping them in their minds or books, to maintain history and culture. I think this may have at least contributed to such similarities...

What Yuki-onna said.

Except I also believe a lot of it does have several origins. Werewolves in all their forms as an example. Several places believed in them, yet all had different beliefs as to what the werewolf's abilities, attributes and anything else actually were. Some believed they had some weaknesses that others didn't, some didn't see them as necessarily evil in any way.
    There's a lot to it...

Some may have become a little more uniform with some globalisation, but time played a big part too I'd hazard to guess.
    victoria aut mors

Creature of the Week

Myling
    The Angry and Vengeful Infant Spirits of Scandinavian Folklore

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs17/300...Koldkonung.jpg

In the harsh lands of Northern Europe, people often left their infants for dead if they could not take care of them or if the child was deformed in some way. They were usually abandoned shortly after birth, so were not baptized. It is said that since they were not baptized, they could not go to Heaven. They were, therefore, forced to roam the earth.

Mylings, or utburd as they are also called, are the souls of these abandoned infants. It is said that they haunt the place where they died (or sometimes the house of their murderer) waiting for someone to take them to a graveyard so they can be properly buried. However, mylings are able to grow to rather large sizes, and get heavier and heavier as they near a graveyard. This often causes the person carrying the myling to sink into the soil and be killed by the myling for being unable to carry out their “duty” to the young spirit.

As for their appearance, mylings are generally invisible. They make their presence known due to their mournful cries. However, one who is watching closely may see a snowy owl off in distant tundra or a rather tall black dog on a ridge top. And, sometimes people may even glimpse the spirit of the murdered infant underneath a nearby shrub.

To protect yourself from the mylings, water and iron are your best weapons. If you splash water on yourself or unsheathe a knife (or any other sort of iron weapon) in time, you will find yourself utterly alone. However, another person will probably find the body of the infant some days later, “its bones crushed and its flesh shredded by supernatural strength and fury."

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs10/300...mponwheels.jpg

Pictures are artist renditions of what a myling spirit might look like. Credit to Koldkonung and gimponwheels, respectively.

Sources
    Wikipedia
    Monstropedia

My TFF Family
    Jenova33,

Member of FF Cult

Wow. That is creepy. If this originated from Europe, is it believed or rumored of in other countries? Crap, I've probably seen a couple in my day, ha.

Kay, I'll be sure to bring a bottle of water with me too, splish splash that around next time I go to a baby filled cemetary. Thanks for the heads up!

Mylings sound rather interesting. But the weakness to iron would almost certainly damn them in this day and age, wouldn't it?

I'm just thinking that as there are a lot more things with iron in them nowadays. Tools, accesories, building equipment etc. Or does the item have to be an iron weapon, perhaps even more specifically a bladed one? It's something worth investigating at any rate, if only to satisfy my own curiousity...
    victoria aut mors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast