Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Haven

The last band I saw live was Soilwork. I dont know about the rest of the world but here in Scandinavia they are a pretty big melodic death metal band. The gig was great and I was so exhausted afterwards.

Ive been to a few festivals. Mainly Tuska here in Finland. Im going again this year and have back stage passes as well which will be pretty cool^^

Concerning music, what led you into listening the kind of music you listen to today?

I grew up with rock music so its always been around me. From my family and their work to my friends so it was kind of inevitable id be led in that direction I think.

But what was it that had gravitated you towards the kind of music you listen to? Was it the sound? Is it a song's lyrics? Or is it something you can personally relate to?

A bit of everything I think. To make a really good song, whether it be rap, rock, or classical, every componant has to fit together not only in the composers and artists minds but also in the listeners mind. Rock and metal does this for me. It makes me feel like no other music can. When the lyrics are right and the notes contrast or acsentuate (sp?) this it just takes me away. The crunching guitars, the growling or clean vocals and the words. If the words are right sometimes you dont even hear the music. I think this or something similar can be applied to anyone and their favourite genre of music.

Registered User Music Haven Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the club, mjrouse.

Why do I listen this music? Well, three certain people played a big part in it. Firstly, my eldest brother. He introduced me to Linkin Park, Papa Roach, and Limp Bizkit. Now I can honestly say that I don't listen to these bands as much, but I did back then. I liked their sound more than anything, because it was nice and better to hear someting like that rather than Britney Spears ranting on with that thing she calls a voice.

My Dad and my best friend also showed me other bands that I came to like too, but I sort of discovered Evanescence on my own. The radio was playing, and bam, Bring Me To Life came on. It basically just got better from there, really. I found more of their songs, listened to them, loved them. And I still do A lot Haha. I think it was mainly Amy Lee's voice that made me like it so much. And the lyrics are amazing.

Govinda
    The music I listen to comes from the people I've met. If I judge a person as being good, a little cynical, then I'll listen to what they recommend.

For the rest of it, it was just the music 'we all' listened to as kids, our wee scene: LTJ, Greenday, that kind of scene. Some people stayed at that, but I matured into older music. Since then, I just find things by word of mouth, and BBC Radio 6.

I don't know why I listen to what I do; I just prefer the noises, I suppose.

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    Concerning music, what led you into listening the kind of music you listen to today?
    I always liked Ambience from when I started listening to game soundtracks, which led me onto more ambience. And since from all over Europe and some of Asian, I feel my mind is a little more open to listening to other countries. With the help of my ex and my knowing about ambience, I was led to Xasthur. A shirt from my ex led me on to buy Hypocrisy albums.

My liking of Xasthur led me onto other depressive black metal and suicidial black metal and I began buying music from Amazon and from band sites and whatnot.

Winter helped me find a couple of SBM bands and my boyriend led me into Bloodbath.

I listened to Bjork because I'd known of her for years and had loved her for just as long.

But what was it that had gravitated you towards the kind of music you listen to? Was it the sound? Is it a song's lyrics? Or is it something you can personally relate to?
    Uh, everything. I listened to it all and loved it all.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

This is my sin... Music Haven Lucid's Avatar

Well, I grew up listening to Country music, especially since my Dad sang it alot, so it's a given. I stumbled upon Enka music by accident during a trip to New York years ago and I've been into it ever since. Some years later I was introduced to Rammstein and Nightwish and that's how I got into metal. Now-a-days I listen to all sorta of stuff, regardless of genre or language... well except for rap.

There have been many songs that I've been turned off of because the melody was good, but the lyrics and/or singer were terrible or vice versa, so for me to really enjoy a song, it has to have the right music and lyrics. Also, I like songs that I can relate to, but it's not a requirement for me to enjoy a song.

Godsmack Worshipper Music Haven Omega Weapon's Avatar
    Lived by the rules you that you gave me and fell apart. All the wrong turns down a dead end street so far. I stretched my wings and breath in different day. Alone and broken is the price I pay but that's ok...
    @Dystopia: You are welcome.
    @Fishie: Thanks dude. Glad to know you like it.

what led you into listening the kind of music you listen to today?
    I always listened to pop (Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls) but rock is the kind of music I listen to now (Godsmack, Alice In Chains, Disturbed and Metallica), I really don't remember what led me into listening that kind of music. I think "Straight Out of Line" by Godsmack was the first rock song I've ever listened to in my life and It's like my all-time favorite rock song.

Some people prefer rap. Some people prefer indie. The list goes on and on. But what was it that had gravitated you towards the kind of music you listen to? Was it the sound? Is it a song's lyrics? Or is it something you can personally relate to?

Rock lyrics can always influence people. Just like how most of the bands I listen to talk about how they got out of their problems and struggles with family and life, we all can do the same with our lives. I mean sometimes teens feel like committing suicide. By listening to these types of music, they can gain their self-esteem back and lift their spirits. They can aim for a goal, and try their best to reach it! Yeah! Rock songs can do miracles!

One more thing: Rock doesn't equal screaming and yelling.
    Last edited by Omega Weapon; 05-28-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Quoted for truth. Thats why I love rock music so much. There are so many different styles and sounds.

i would like to apply for memeber ship, here is the responces you requested to be filled out.

What are/is your favourite type(s) of music?

Rock/ punk/ metal/ ska/ classical/ classic rock/ techno (all genres)/ industrial/ harmonic

Do you have a particular favourite artist/band? If so, who?

Fenix TX, Goldfinger, NIN, sublime, long beach dub allstars and a few others

How has music affected your life?

It has helped me through some depressing times, certain songs such as adams song by blink182 reminds me of lost friends and family. It has set the tone for some great events in my life (has actually influenced outcomes)

Have any musical talents?
    Drums (see instrument thread in music section for description)

What's your favourite song at the moment?

i can not just say one when there are so many good ones
    Paralizer – finger 11
    Cemetery gates – Pantara
    Mad world – Gary Jules remix (Donnie Darko sound track)
    No Rain – Blind Melon
    Everything I touch – stabbing westward
    Save yourself – stabbing westward
    Blame – gravity kills
    My December – Linkin park
    Angel – Dave Mathews band
    Wish I had an Angel – Nightwish
    Jonny Quest – Less then Jake
    Pirate song – mad caddies
    This list could go on and on for days!
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Blog Entries
    Good to have you on board, Meier. Welcome Blink182 helped me at a depressing stage in my life, too. Do you know that song 'Stay Together For The Kids'? It helped me with my parents. They broke up when I was about six months old, and have never been together since, so I always wondered why. That song sort of reflected that, and it helped me loads. It's strange, really - how music can do that. But it's awesome too.

I'll third that. Rock music can be mellow, and soft too. In fact, I'd say 'metal' would be more of a fitting for a yelling description. But not even metal is all "screaming and yelling" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
    Good to have you on board, Meier. Welcome Blink182 helped me at a depressing stage in my life, too. Do you know that song 'Stay Together For The Kids'? It helped me with my parents. They broke up when I was about six months old, and have never been together since, so I always wondered why. That song sort of reflected that, and it helped me loads. It's strange, really - how music can do that. But it's awesome too.

I'll third that. Rock music can be mellow, and soft too. In fact, I'd say 'metal' would be more of a fitting for a yelling description. But not even metal is all "screaming and yelling" either.

Yes I know that song and it is a dang good one at that. and I will throw in a 4 and that qoute.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

In fact, I'd say 'metal' would be more of a fitting for a yelling description. But not even metal is all "screaming and yelling" either.
    I'd say nu-metal and emo were yelling genres. It's the whiny sound of My Chemical Romance all over again.

As for screaming... You mean growling, right? That's what they're called, and they're used profficiantly in all metal genres except for a good part of progressive and heavy metal bands.

There are bands in all metal genres with a couple of songs that use clean vocals and actually sing. It's not as regularly found, though.

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Govinda
    If you scream out of my speakers I have no time for you; I do not care who you are, what 'genre' you like to think you're in, I have point blank no time for that.

Rock's such a wide thing though. The Beatles and Chuck Berry and early Bowie spawned something I doubt they thought would do what it has. There'd be no metal, no space for 'screamo' without them. So I listen to them rather than the 'genres' they accidentally gave inspiration to. I love all rock, really, apart from really overbearing things. I hate Metallica, Black Sabbath, shit like that. I prefer to be able to enjoy the music without having to concentrate on blocking out half the loud, yet scarily simple, music bits.

But you're right, rock does not equal screaming. As a matter of fact, I do not enjoy 'rock' that does.

Blog Entries
    Mind if I add my two cents?

What are/is your favourite type(s) of music?

Industrial, Early Goth/Punk, Darkwave, Ethereal, Goth Rock, Goth, 80s music, Classical, Opera, some Trance, some mainstream, Alternative rock

Do you have a particular favourite artist/band? If so, who?

If it came down to a few... Faith and the Muse, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, ThouShaltNot and Voltaire.

How has music affected your life?

It inspires nearly(87% ) all I write, think and feel. I listen to music constantly when I relax.

Have any musical talents?

I play piano and can play some Ocarina. I can read music, of course and have written one or two little things for piano that I can be embarrassed of.

What's your favourite song at the moment?

Nosferatu-Sunseth Midnight(see sig)

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 05-28-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

I started out listening to whatever was on the radio or in the charts haha, so really bad pop music basically. Then my friend got me into Nirvana while we were on holiday, that must have been almost 10 years ago. I didn't really like them too much at first, but that got the ball rolling. After that i got into Green Day with the Dookie album, then Rage Against the Machine. Not looked back since haha.

I don't think it was ever the lyrics or anything like that, although Rage's lyrics are fairly powerful, i think it was more to do with my friends to be honest. Like i said in my first post, anything that sounds good i'll listen to haha. They just kept playing all this music, i liked it and got into it myself. I pay more attention to lyrics now than i used to, but terrible lyrics never make me hate a song unless it sounds really bad XD.

I'm not a fan of the whole screaming thing either, i only really got into Metallica because of their S&M album (the one with the orchestra)... so when i listen to them its usually a song off that. Not really into the heavier metal genre's.

Blog Entries
    Aye, welcome Sinister (17 people so far in two days. Bloody 'ell lol).

I'd agree that emo is a yelling typing of genre, yet most whiney. That's the kind of thing that won't cross my speakers. (Except the odd track that perhaps isn't all that bad).

I think my tastes in rock vary quite a bit. I like the older generations of the Beatles and David Bowie, but I listen to the artists that have emerged from them, too.

Blog Entries
    I'm skittish around heavy metal; any bloody fool can cough and clear their throat at a mic. That's not to say I dislike all of it, but they have to work a little harder to impress me. Quite often lyrics are lost on that genre imo, because quite frankly you can't understand them.
    Last edited by Sinister; 05-28-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Honey View Post
    Rock's such a wide thing though. The Beatles and Chuck Berry and early Bowie spawned something I doubt they thought would do what it has. There'd be no metal, no space for 'screamo' without them. So I listen to them rather than the 'genres' they accidentally gave inspiration to. I love all rock, really, apart from really overbearing things. I hate Metallica, Black Sabbath, shit like that. I prefer to be able to enjoy the music without having to concentrate on blocking out half the loud, yet scarily simple, music bits.
    Scarily simple music bits that were inspired by equally boring bands? Hmm.

Of course, I wasn't born in the time that The Beatles were creating music, so I guess that's the reason they sound so old and boring to me. It's not that every single Beatles song is crap to me, it's just that only a few of their songs stand out. I think I would've appreciated them more had I been born earlier than I was.

Screamo? Ugh, I wish the industry would spare us that shit.

Whilst I'll agree that the above inspired some of metal, with sub-genres of metal that don't even sound like metal, I would have to disagree. There is no way fathomable that The Beatles would sound similar to the likes of Bergraven and WORSHIP, which are only really linked to metal because of the guitars and the growls they use. That said most metal doesn't even sound like the Beatles anyway, so it could be taken either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopia
    I'd agree that emo is a yelling typing of genre, yet most whiney. That's the kind of thing that won't cross my speakers.
    Yeah, definately agreed. More whiny than yelling, but there is the occassional My Chemical Romance-esque boy band, who have been trambled in the nuts and then castrated.

EDIT: Sin, what heavy metal have you been listening to? o_O;
    Last edited by Chez Daja; 05-28-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    I don't listen to it. But I did use to like Dio, ages ago it seems. He eventually got so boring with his lyrics that all his songs blended and the result is that I don't listen to it much anymore. Why do you ask?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'm skittish around heavy metal; any bloody fool can cough and clear their throat at a mic. That's not to say I dislike all of it, but they have to work a little harder to impress me. Quite often lyrics are lost on that genre imo, because quite frankly you can't understand them.
    Now that's something I agree with. Sometimes you can't understand what they're singing, and it's a bit irritating, especially when the song has a nice beat and melody to it. It can kind of ruin it. But at the same time, if the lyrics to a particular metal song were about anger and such, then the screaming vocals could give it great effect and really express the lyrics in my opinion. But I guess there's two sides.

Also, I think newer metal bands actually came from Iron Maiden and such, but like Chez said, I wasn't around during that time to really know. But Maiden did play a big part in the metal scene, moreso than the Beatles. But then Maiden probably emerged a bit from the Beatles, right? (Ugh, excuse my knowledge of musical history. I'm no good at the subject history, anyway >.> lol)
    Last edited by Halie; 05-28-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Why do you ask?
    Because I know maybe one heavy metal band that makes those noises [quoting you; coughing and clearing throats] into a microphone.

You wouldn't be referring to the likes of Grindcore, would you? [See Anaal Nathrakh; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Mvn13um4I ]

Blog Entries
    That is precisely what I mean... The entire song is a casualty to me, because of those vocals. It's disappointing, because it sounds like it could've been a very convincing and acceptable song otherwise.

-Sin

That is precisely what I mean... The entire song is a casualty to me, because of those vocals. It's disappointing, because it sounds like it could've been a very convincing and acceptable song otherwise.

-Sin
    Okay, I can see where you're coming from. I just wasn't sure which genre you were originally referring to.

Pretty much all grindcore bands have that sound, although it's also a trait known in brutal death metal, math metal and technical black metal.

Yeah sometimes the growls and screams can get tedious when you cant understand anything. Whats the point? Lyrics are meant to be heard not sound like a bunch of random noises and grunts. Although quite often I like it^^

Ive done a bit of Music history and yeah Maiden had a big influence on rock music. But perhaps an even bigger influence was Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, The Sex Pistols etc. Music goes through fashions just like everything else and from each fashion there has been a band or bands that have influenced music alot.

In the beginning you had the beginning of rock as we know it with Sabbath and Deep Purple, Led Zepplin etc. Of course these bands drew influence from The Beatles, The Beach Boys and Elvis

You then have Punk and the Sex Pistols

80's Hair Metal/I think thrash was aroud this time too - Twisted Sister/Metallica etc.

90's Grunge - Nirvana

00's We've had the nu metal wave with band such as Linkin Park setting the trend and recently emo with MCR setting trend.

However I have to admit Linkin Park and MCR are probably not going to change music much at all, especially in the way it has changed before. I might have missed something out or could be remembering wrong so feel free to contradict or correct me here...
    Last edited by You; 05-28-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    It sounded like he was dying. >.>

I switched it off after about seven seconds of being into it. *which will now bug me for the next hour or so, because I didn't listen to the end of it, but it was torturous, so I couldn't*.

Is it screaming all the way through, or? If so, then I agree with Sinny on this one.

That's right, Sinister. I called you Sinny.

EDIT: Darnit, I forgot about Deep Purple. Aye, I knew that they had a big impact on the metal scene, too. Although I don't think the Sex Pistols did. I think they gave inspiration to newer Punk bands. Or at least, bands that call themselves punk, such as Good Charlotte >.>

And as for Linkin Park, at least their old stuff was Nu-metal. But then they moaned and moaned and MOANED about them notthinking they were nu-metal and tried to change things around a bit. I don't know what they sound like now though...kind of a poppy rock type of thing?

Oh aye, and MCR ad LP gave birth to the evermore annoying emo scene, right? Thanks MCR. I actually don't think some of their tracks are too bad (bare in mind I used to love them quite a bit), but then they became over played and..yeah. >.>
    Last edited by Halie; 05-28-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Yeah sometimes the growls and screams can get tedious when you cant understand anything. Whats the point? Lyrics are meant to be heard not sound like a bunch of random noises and grunts. Although quite often I like it^^
    Call me crazy, but I love that sound. Sometimes it's just what I like to relax to. Just a deep set of growling vocals with the ocassional set of Akerfeldt vocals. Of course, I like other genres, too.

However, you may or may not be interested to know that Anaal Nathrakh (band in the above link I gave to Sin) have never publicly released their lyrics, this was an intended thing. It's said they speak about post-apocalyptic shit. I guess they find that stuff interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by You
    However I have to admit Linkin Park and MCR are probably not going to change music much at all, especially in the way it has changed before. I might have missed something out or could be remembering wrong so feel free to contradict or correct me here...
    I dunno... See, I think that Link Park's first two albums Hybrid Theory & Meteora (yes, I have heard them, I used to be a massive fan about five years ago) have a way different sound to the songs I've had the misfortune to hear from Minutes To Midnight. Whilst I believe i has a couple of set similarities, I believe they've turned slightly more into the emo genre rather than nu-metal.

Now they're like nu-metal with hip hop and with emo influences or something. That was a disappointment more than anything. I'm not an LP fan anymore, but I was pretty embarrassed listening to that little emo-pop-queen number out of MTM. (What I've Done, was it? Ew...)

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopia

I switched it off after about seven seconds of being into it. *which will now bug me for the next hour or so, because I didn't listen to the end of it, but it was torturous, so I couldn't*.
    Yep, pretty much. That's grindcore with tech influences for you, though. I personally like their music, but I understand it's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dys
    Or at least, bands that call themselves punk, such as Good Charlotte >.>
    This is something I don't often do, but, what genre would you say Good Charlotte was? I believe punk with perhaps... ska influences? I'm really not sure on this one...which is rare and frightening to me.

As for your opinions on LP starting the emo scene. I only believe their lyrics influenced it. Most of their old music was different to their newer, more emo stuff.
    Last edited by Chez Daja; 05-28-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Is it screaming all the way through, or? If so, then I agree with Sinny on this one.

That's right, Sinister. I called you Sinny.
    S'okay, most people do. ^^

And there are a few bands that sound like that I spare my hatred for a few simple songs. I didn't mind Cradle of Filth's version of the Goth classic: No Time to Cry. But precious little else...

-Sin

Although I don't think the Sex Pistols did.
    The Sex Pistols gave rise and inspiration to Old School Punk with such bands as Rancid and early Green Day. I forgot to mention The Ramones, they are more of an inspiration to New School Punk, influencing such "punk" bands as Good Charlotte etc.

EDIT: Chez Deja I know what you mean. I really love that kind of vocal styling alot too. Have you ever heard of a band Scar Symmetry, I think it would be quite your thing. One of my favourites at the moment. And yeah Linkin Parks direction has changed alot, but they along with Limp Bizkit gave rise and mainstream attention to the Nu Metal genre. Without them we probably wouldnt have such bands as Slipknot, SOAD etc
    Last edited by You; 05-28-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ah. The Ramones. I can't particularly remember what they sound like, but didn't they lend themselves to make the mod scene? Has anyone heard of the mod scene? It was a big thing back in like the 70s and 80s and stuff in the UK. It was mainly bands like The Jam and such. My Dad was a 'mod' back in the day. He still kind of is, actually...still listening to the music and such.
    Last edited by Halie; 05-28-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    EDIT: Chez Deja I know what you mean. I really love that kind of vocal styling alot too. Have you ever heard of a band Scar Symmetry, I think it would be quite your thing. One of my favourites at the moment.
    I liked them until I heard the choruses. What's with that clean vox? I thought those bits were the only horrible bits about the songs I've heard. I don't think they'll be making their way onto my playlist for that.

Quote Originally Posted by You
    Without them we probably wouldnt have such bands as Slipknot, SOAD etc
    What a blessing that would've been. I find SOAD's vocalist amusing, though. His voice is like one one of my relatives might have.

I dont know if ive heard of the Mod scene. Ill have to have a look into it I think.

@Chez Deja: Ah your into the real gritty stuff! Fair enough^^ And I think some of the bands the Nu Metal wave created are ok. But if the Nu Metal wave wouldnt have come about who knows what we might miss out on in the future. Perhaps emo might not have come about, which in my opinion might not have been such a bad thing
    Last edited by You; 05-28-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast