Thread: Mind over Matter

Asking all the personal questions. Mind over Matter RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Mind over Matter

Mind over Matter, does it really exist?

Lets have a look at it, firstly lets look at some amazing feats that the mind can do.

Phantom pregnancies- The ability for a female mind to produce symptoms of pregnancy but with no evidence of fertilization.

Placebo effect- The ability for the human mind to mend and/or heal illness and disease while using a placebo medication ( a medication that is usually a sugar tablet or that has no medicinal properties given to a patient with no knowledge of it being fake)

I could name a few more like, Memory of previous lives, premonition, you could even put in some forms of hallucination in there.

My main question is, if the mind and body is capable of achieving these incredible acts is it possible to trick the mind into other things like time travel or telekinesis.

For example using the placebo effect theory if you were to trick someones mind into thinking that it was traveling through time could it be possibly for it to actual to travel through time for real. Of course we have it implanted into our minds that time travel is pretty much impossible to happen so the test subject would have to be someone that has never heard of it for it to be possible.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

A Plain Old Derp Mind over Matter Padraic's Avatar

Re: Mind over Matter

I think that it does because when you expect to be hit, it doesn't hurt all that much, but when you stub your toe it hurts like a bitch.

I had my apendix removed around halloween time, it hurt a lot more when I was at home, but when I was trying to convince my mother to let me go out trick or treating, or to a party, I felt completely fine, same with when I went to the hospital and they said I needed to have it removed, I convinced myself that I was fine because I didn't want to be cut open.

Also how do believe that people can walk on coals barefeet without flinching, because they convince themselves that its not hot.

Telekeneses, and time travel seems rather impossible, maybe you could trick your body into not waking up for many hours, (maybe even days) But all the affects of time would still occur on your body, you'd probably have to wake up to drink and eat, or else you would die.

Sir Prize Mind over Matter Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mind over Matter? What's the difference? Mind is matter. No wait...*chants to self that he will not take a Zen approach.*

But honestly, the brain regulates all the functions you describe in your examples. They are the domain of the mind and nervous system, autonomic or not. Now, bending spoons with your mind would be more "mind over matter" for my tastes. But either way and my personal beliefs aside, any claims of that kind are stubborn to prove, if not impossible.

If you're talking about placebo effect and etc... Faith takes a large hand at healing. People who don't want to get better or who don't believe they will have been 'observed' to heal more slowly. I remember one quote that said "Medicine was the act of entertaining the patient while he heals himself."

Make of that what you will.

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 04-09-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Some of the stuff you mentioned is merely the mind ignoring/blocking shit.
    I've found it's VERY handy to ignore pain when in a fight with multiple opponents. Give in and you get the floor wiped with you and these days some of the little bastards keep digging into ya even when knocked out/half dead whatever... but now I'm seriously digressing.

I think the mind has a lot of power over the body of the person with the mind (some of the feats/oddities associated with this have had credible evidence shown), but I do not believe that the mind can have an effect on things external to the mind/body unless you include the obvious commanding your body to interact with something through the mind. I'm not saying it's impossible, merely that I haven't seen any credible evidence and have looked into such things many times in the past out of interest.
    victoria aut mors

The Mad God Mind over Matter Heartless Angel's Avatar

Mind over matter only really works on things the mind controls, like the body. Telekinesis and time travel, not possible by simple mind over matter, simply because, though the brain may believe it's doing that, it has no way to actually do it.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.