Thread: Life copying art.

.............. Life copying art. smurphy's Avatar

Life copying art.

I have recently been watching and reading a lot of sci-fi recently, both old and relatively new. After having read Orwells 1984, it is uncanny how many societies in Europe are similar( though obviously not the same) to the "Airstrip One" portrayed in regards to surveillance of citizens. For example check this graphic.http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd[347]=x-347-559597. And many technological advances are being made or have been made because the initial ideas have appeared first within the arts. For example the automatic door was perfected soon after Star Trek appeared on screens or the idea of robots being similar in size and shape to humans which are self conscious which are being developed now first appeared in the film "Metropolis" in 1927.

So my question is do you think anyones vision of the future has turned out to be accurate? And of all the current sci-fi whos vision of the future can you foresee becoming reality. Is this future an utopia or dystopia?

I personally think that the world of "Ghost In The Shell" will be a good benchmark by which to judge the future. I personally believe the cyberisation of humans as it appears in "GITS" isnt too far away( by which I mean 30-40 years) and I can see the "Net" evolving into what is also portrayed.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

#LOCKE4GOD Life copying art. Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Life copying art.

I don't think Orwell was ever trying to suggest that the world of 1984 was some sort of future we were necessarily heading for. Rather he was suggesting something he thought we should avoid. Personally, I think Orwell exaggerated, and have no concern with the rise of CCTV and so on... well, obviously I don't want a Telescreen, but when you consider the fact that the more CCTV cameras they put in, the less of a chance there is of someone actually monitoring them. Plus the concept of a Panopticon actually sounds pretty neat, provided the laws society creates aren't ridiculous.

Science fiction and futurism isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I though I'd add that.

However, this:

This is my dystopia.

The Mad God Life copying art. Heartless Angel's Avatar

Re: Life copying art.

I can honestly see our future being something very similar to Star Trek TNG's depiction of it. I'd honestly be suprised if our obsession with TV didn't at some point lead to an advancement into something like a Holodeck. Most of the things in Star Trek, unlike alot of other scifi series and movies, actually sounds plasuible with sufficient scientific advancement, which I can see happening within a century or two. 1984 I can't really see happening, but I suppose anything is possible if the right (or in this case wrong) people wind up in power. Another future dystopic fantasy I can see becoming reality would be that of Brave New World. Actually I wouldn't mind that future with all the sex and drugs =)
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.