Thread: How much emotion is actually "necessary to be human"?

How much emotion is actually "necessary to be human"?

How much emotion is actually necessary? If we are secure with our selves, calm, and tame our tempers, some of us can be the coolest cats alive. If we understand things, then often we don't fear them.

How much emotion do you think is "actually necessary to be human", (as in must have), as opposed to being insecure or uncomfortable about something, or lacking the proper communication skills to address your feelings and the way you are treated, want to be treated, etc etc.

With room for improvement, to evolve, how much emotion do you think is actually necessary and how much of it has a naive and child like nature where we just haven't evolved mentally beyond that point yet?

the psycho in me wants pie!!! How much emotion is actually "necessary to be human"? kurohime's Avatar

Re: How much emotion is actually "necessary to be human"?

I honestly can't tell you. see i dont show my emotions. many people believe that if you cry or something like that it means your human, but i havent cried in about six years now. i have actually questioned my mortalty since junior high. i think that somewhere deep inside my soul is corrupted by demon spirits.
    The cake is a lie!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    I don't really understand what you mean by 'to be human'.

Psychopaths and sociopaths are still human beings, even though they might not feel the emotions they should feel.
    I would consider psychopaths and sociopaths human beings too.
    I don't know if I'd consider them to be a majority of the human race though.

No doubt you brought up an interesting point.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by kurohime

I honestly can't tell you. see i dont show my emotions. many people believe that if you cry or something like that it means your human, but i havent cried in about six years now. i have actually questioned my mortalty since junior high. i think that somewhere deep inside my soul is corrupted by demon spirits.
    I do believe in the paranormal, maybe it's worth investigating your situation.
    On the other hand, some people don't display many emotions, you clearly are evidence of that.

I believe that how you manage that is most likely because you understand your emotions and have matured emotionally to a point where you are in control of yourself.
    Last edited by palette; 05-04-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Or maybe I'm just missing your point.
    I think I've just been unclear with you, my bad.

I did a little research into the subject today.

Experts say that we have primary and secondary emotions. I feel that only our primary emotions are necessary.

A useful notion in understanding how we feel is that of primary and secondary emotions.
    Primary emotions
    What is felt first

Primary emotions are those that we feel first, as a first response to a situation. Thus, if we are threatened, we may feel fear. When we hear of a death, we may feel sadness. They are unthinking, instinctive responses that we have. We will typically see these in animals also, which confirms our suspicion that they have an evolutionary basis.

Typical primary emotions include fear, anger, sadness and happiness (although it is worth noting that these can also be felt as secondary emotions).
    Often transient

The problem sometimes with primary emotions is that they disappear as fast as they appear. Their replacement by secondary emotions complicates the situation, making it difficult to understand what is really going on.
    Secondary emotions
    What is felt next

Secondary emotions appear after primary emotions. They may be caused directly by them, for example where the fear of a threat turns to anger that fuels the body for a fight reaction. They may also come from more complex chains of thinking.
    Simple or mixed feelings

Secondary emotions may be simple feelings or may be a mix as more emotions join the fray. Thus news of a wartime victory may start with feelings of joy, but then get tinged with sadness for the loss of life.

I believe that after I comprehend the triggers for my emotions, I feel secure with myself. I feel that I'm in control of my emotions when I understand them. I'd call that emotional maturity.

I think it's a difficult exercise, but I feel that if you understand why you feel the way you do, then you can coupe. I think the point of several "emotions" is to help us coupe with things we don't fully understand and comprehend.
    Obviously, as with everything, extremes are (usually) not a good thing.
    If you're referring to psychopaths and sociopaths, I'd call them an exception to the rule, if not evidence to prove the rule.

I think there should be a good balance and sometimes even interaction between emotion and rationality.
    Then again, it's hard to define good.

Thanks for sharing, again.

I'm not saying it's ideal to go without any emotions, but I wonder how much is necessary to "function properly" (you ), perhaps.

i have ears :) How much emotion is actually "necessary to be human"? Full Life's Avatar

Lol my imotions are manly way to happy i dont realy understand all this but I think that everyone shows there emotions kurohime in different ways my brother hits me and thats how he shares his emotion!
    well at least its ohkay...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]URL=http://www.ff-fan.com][/URL][/IMG]

Come Join my chat!
    http://mainlyrp.chatango.com/

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Using your quote on primary/secondary emotions as my source I'd suggest humans need bugger all emotion. You do get emotional people, even extremely emotional people but then you also get some people who are quite cold to things that should cause an emotional response.

I saw a news story the other day about some homeless guy in New York who got stabbed saving a lady and people didn't really help him in any way as he laid dying. He died a couple hours later because of it.

I'm also of the belief that some people can not care for certain emotions such as fear to the point where it doesn't effect them so much unless it's something severe.
    victoria aut mors

I think you're on to something interesting with this.
    The role of emotions clearly is a large one. I think that the following source claims that emotions are needed to preserve a healthy mind. I personally believe that they can also create unhealthy boundaries for the mind.

Here are a few of the reasons our emotions are important in our lives. By the way, the first few chapters of Goleman's 1995 book, Emotional Intelligence, have a good presentation on evolution and emotions.

Survival

Nature developed our emotions over millions of years of evolution. As a result, our emotions have the potential to serve us today as a delicate and sophisticated internal guidance system. Our emotions alert us when natural human need is not being met. For example, when we feel lonely, our need for connection with other people is unmet. When we feel afraid, our need for safety is unmet. When we feel rejected, it is our need for acceptance which is unmet.

Decision Making

Our emotions are a valuable source of information. Our emotions help us make decisions. Studies show that when a person's emotional connections are severed in the brain, he can not make even simple decisions. Why? Because he doesn't know how he will feel about his choices.

Predicting Behavior

Our feelings are also useful in helping us predict our own, and others' behavior. Here is an article on the idea that feelings predict behavior.

Boundary Setting

When we feel uncomfortable with a person's behavior, our emotions alert us. If we learn to trust our emotions and feel confident expressing ourselves we can let the person know we feel uncomfortable as soon as we are aware of our feeling. This will help us set our boundaries which are necessary to protect our physical and mental health.

Communication

Our emotions help us communicate with others. Our facial expressions, for example, can convey a wide range of emotions. If we look sad or hurt, we are signalling to others that we need their help. If we are verbally skilled we will be able to express more of our emotional needs and thereby have a better chance of filling them. If we are effective at listening to the emotional troubles of others, we are better able to help them feel understood, important and cared about.

Happiness

The only real way to know that we are happy is when we feel happy. When we feel happy, we feel content and fulfilled. This feeling comes from having our needs met, particulary our emotional needs. We can be warm, dry, and full of food, but still unhappy. Our emotions and our feelings let us know when we are unhappy and when something is missing or needed. The better we can identify our emotions, the easier it will be to determine what is needed to be happy.

Unity

Our emotions are perhaps the greatest potential source of uniting all members of the human species. Clearly, our various religious, cultural and political beliefs have not united us. Far too often, in fact, they have tragically and even fatally divided us. Emotions, on the other hand, are universal. Charles Darwin wrote about this years ago in one of his lesser-known books called "The Expression of Emotion In Man and Animal". The emotions of empathy, compassion, cooperation, and forgiveness, for instance, all have the potential to unite us as a species. It seem fair to say that, generally speaking: Beliefs divide us. Emotions unite us.

Human Emotional Needs

All humans have basic emotional needs. These needs can be expressed as feelings, for example the need to feel accepted, respected and important. While all humans share these needs, each differs in the strength of the need, just as some of us need more water, more food or more sleep. One person may need more freedom and independence, another may need more security and social connections. One may have a greater curiosity and a greater need for understanding, while another is content to accept whatever he has been told.

One of the major problems I have observed in schools is the treatment of all children as if their emotional and psychological needs were identical. The result is many children's needs are unsatisfied. They then become frustrated, as any of us do when our needs are unmet. They act out their frustration in various ways which are typically seen as "misbehavior." This is especially evident when children are expected to all do the same thing for the same length of time. The better we identify their unique needs and satisfy them, the few behavioral problems. It is also evident when they are made to do things which are not interesting to them, or when they are not challenged enough with things which are relevant to their lives. One of the things teenagers who are cutting themselves seem to have in common is they are extremely bored at school as well as emotionally neglected, over-controlled or abused at home.

In dysfunctional families it is most often the emotional needs which are not met. The children and teenagers are getting enough to eat and they have a roof over their heads, but their emotional needs are not being met.

It is helpful to become more aware of these emotional needs as a first step towards helping each other fill them.

For a more complete list these needs, go to human emotional needs list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I saw a news story the other day about some homeless guy in New York who got stabbed saving a lady and people didn't really help him in any way as he laid dying. He died a couple hours later because of it.
    Maybe it has something to do with boundaries. I'm thinking that it might be socially constructed to "fear" certain people. If it's a lack of emotions, or too many emotions making the decision I don't know. It could be fear/ it could be the lack of feeling any emotions.

Since this was about if emotions are necessary, I'd like to again point out that there are primary and secondary emotions, as well as positive and negative feelings.

Some people claim that there are ways around negative feelings. I think this implies that they aren't necessary and can be avoided.
    Expressing Negative Feelings

Here are a few suggestions for communicating your negative feelings:

* Don't be dramatic.
    * Don't wait till things build up.
    * Be brief.
    * Don't blame or lay guilt trips.
    * Talk about how you feel.
    * Ask how the other person feels.
    * Offer a way to save face. (For example, "Perhaps I misunderstood you," or "I know your intentions were good.")

Managing Negative Emotions

General Guidelines

Here are few general guidelines for managing negative emotions. .

First, identify the feeling. Next, ask if is a healthy feeling. Then list your options and chose the one which is most likely to lead to your long-term happiness.

After asking these first two questions, the next step is to ask what would help you feel better. Try to focus on answers which are in your control, since it would be easy, but not too helpful, to think of things ways others could change so you would feel better.

Another question is to ask how you want to feel. This helps you direct your thoughts in a positive direction.

To summarize, here are some helpful questions:

* How am I feeling?

* Is it a healthy feeling?

* How do I want to feel?

* What would help me feel better (that I can control)?
    From what I can see, some people do think it's possible to control your negative emotions. They also appear to believe that there is a lot of importance to invest into your "positive" emotions.

I've always thought that in many professions, it is vital to survival in those professions to have to be able to communicate your ideas effectively and openly. It's being reflected on us that emotions are a very important tool to communicate effectively.

Most the world revolves around communication. There are several people who people believe that communication and success go hand and hand.

I think it's really all about emotional maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad
    Obviously, as with everything, extremes are (usually) not a good thing.

I think there should be a good balance and sometimes even interaction between emotion and rationality.
    I think that you have a good point there, RagnaToad.

On the other hand, Silver, I feel that you've provided examples that show a majority of people were incapable of finding the proper balance.

A majority of people watched the man die. Was it necessary to leave a man dying on the streets, was it healthy? Was it normal,is it human? While trying to moderate our emotions just where do we draw our lines? How do we balance our emotions? Are we being honest with our selves, just how socially constructed are we?

Emotional honesty means expressing your true feelings. To be emotionally honest we must first be emotionally aware. This emotional awareness is related to our emotional intelligence. It is our emotional intelligence, combined with the necessary learning, practice and experience, which gives us the ability to accurately identify our feelings.

Emotional intelligence may also give us the ability to decide when it is in our best interest to be emotionally honest by sharing our real feelings. There are times when it is not healthy or safe for us to be emotionally honest. In general though, I believe we would be better off individually and as a society if we would be more emotionally honest.
    I think that people feel pressured to act a certain way by others. I think they are not being honest with their selves because they fear being judged.

As the site suggests, I also agree that we lose a sense of "true self".

I believe that is clear that in cases like yours, emotional honesty is important. Also, a balance between rationality and emotions, as implied by RagnaToad, is also very important.

In my eyes the question still remains, how much emotion is necessary? By nature most of us appear to be social and emotional creatures, and there could lie a major conflict.
    Last edited by palette; 05-05-2010 at 05:57 AM.

Registered User How much emotion is actually "necessary to be human"? tetsu346's Avatar

we all have emotion so we we all are human but then again what about animals because they have emotions too