Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted

Sir Prize Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted

I am a product of a Homeschooling organization known as the UCHA or the United Christian Homeschool Association. Though, I do not attribute my knowledge to their guidance or that of my mother's (I was something of an autodidact), I do tend to side with Homeschoolers on general issues.
    Plus they treated me to support, funds, bonds and largess for a higher (degree-granted) education.

Now that all my education is relatively behind me and I no longer have to be so defensive of homeschooling, I wish to know what you guys think of Homeschooling. So discuss already!

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Govinda
    I don't think I'd be half the person I am, had I been homeschooled. Being in state education for the vast majority of my life (including now) has taught me a great deal about the world, and moreover the people in it.

One of my goals in life is to understand as much of what I see around me as can. I see bad people, rich and poor; going to a school and spending my time thinking objectively about it allowed me to see great and glaring flaws that make kids into selfish and arrogant adults.

There's also the social aspect. I learned how to lie, thanks to my school. I learned how to talk to idiots and genuises alike, I learned how to spot a person who will screw me over. I met some lovely people whom I am still honoured to talk to every now and then. Without school, I wouldn't have known these people.

I did not enjoy school at all. I hated it viciously; I slated the place in a national newspaper; I started fights, quiet ones, with teachers and abhorrent pupils alike; I was abused on a daily basis by children. But yet, I would not change that at all. State education made me the person I am today. If I ever have children, I will not teach them at home. I'd like for them to have the experiences I did (I am not wishing pain on any prospective children, I'd just like them to be able to see and judge the world from the inside) and I am not a qualified teacher.

So, homeschooling's fine, really; however, I think that going to school is an important experience, and an integral part of growing up.

Blog Entries
    I can see your point and it is more than valid...
    But in response I must counter...

"Would it be that way if everyone homeschooled?"

As far as my personal experience I have to admit that from the social angle, we did not have very many 'bad seeds' as many of the parents who raise their children poorly do not care enough about them to homeschool.

I did not have problems adjusting to college and 'normal' life, but then I am generally an unusually easy-going person and am prolly not a good example...

Govinda
    What a strange place the world would be, were everyone homeschooled. I must admit that your question is a little lost on me (hopefully you can excuse me on the grounds that it is currently 2 in the morning.)

For a start, there will never be a system whereby everyone is homeschooled; too many parents don't care enough, or don't have the time. I suppose it's sad, really.

Are you asking if things would be the same way if everyone learned in the home? Would homeschooling become the new version of education's experience? If you could clarify for my sleepy self, I'd be very much obliged.

Warlord of Your Mom Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted ultima_trev's Avatar
    I can't say much for Homeschooling, back then I got my GED (often called a Good Enough Degree) though, and a lot of people gave me crap for that. Stuff like "you don't wanna socialize with people at HS because you're lazy" or some shit. Though I don't want to socialize in general... because it sucks. That and I was the victim of constant bullying, though it's not much different on this forum.

Despite that, I hauled my ass through four years of university and got my Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Systems Security. Of course, you would have probably never guessed that they way I act... but like they say, "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid!"

Undisputed masters of all creation since 2004.11.11.

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    I was home schooled from age seven after I was severely bullied. Upon deciding I wanted to be homeschooled, I took on the burden of after the age of eight or nine, teaching myself. My mother would ocassionally step it, but a lot of the time, I "needed" to do it by myself (of my own standard and desire).

I'm home-grown and self-taught.

I don't remember my school life at all, which I don't really care about anyway; I do remember getting tripped up by a spoilt child. I lost skin on my legs, arms and face, and my glasses were ****ed up. The teachers did not call for my mother, which was another temptation for me to leave.

My mother, at the time, looked after my brother who was three years old at the time, and when she took me out of school at taught me at home, many a time lost her temper with me. It was understandable; she was stressed.

Eventually, she got a job. She was able to teach my brother until her job progressed into the daytime and I was asked to tutor him.

I teach many subjects; although he doesn't need many more years of education. I have raised a smart kid, and I feel I taught him most of the things he knows.

I found home-learning a lot more enjoyable than what I'd have learnt at school; but the social side has been difficult. I feel I am good enough with people, however, I grew up lonely and depressed, which still effects me to this day.

I feel that in my decision to be self-taught, I didn't seem to realise at the time that I would grow up in solitude and later progress to have a suicidal nature. Of course; I've had a "type" of depression since I can remember, but I feel it wouldn't have been as near obvious as it is to this day had I gone to school and gotten a social life.

I'm okay for the most part these days, but I still get lonely of ocassion, as teaching my brother means I am only able to look at font on a computer screen rather than go out and actually communicate face to face with people.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Govinda
    What a strange place the world would be, were everyone homeschooled. I must admit that your question is a little lost on me (hopefully you can excuse me on the grounds that it is currently 2 in the morning.)

For a start, there will never be a system whereby everyone is homeschooled; too many parents don't care enough, or don't have the time. I suppose it's sad, really.

Are you asking if things would be the same way if everyone learned in the home? Would homeschooling become the new version of education's experience? If you could clarify for my sleepy self, I'd be very much obliged.
    It's true that many parents would not, could not (and in many cases should not) homeschool. But as I see today...too many people rely on the blessed structure of public school. They never have to think of what to do outside of which class is next or what color backpack will I have? They do nothing on the lines of having to organize time or self-reliance. This is a tough lesson to teach from a school.

Many people seem convinced that homeschoolers have problems socializing and to a limited degree this is so. But many homeschoolers have groups not unlike the UCHA (which was a massive group of over six hundred individuals).

Even in these massive groups we had no bullies. If I were to try to account for this, then I would say because alot of the parents of these children were far more effective than any bully. That is not to suggest child abuse (we had a strict chapter about that) but to suggest that the children spent an enormous amount of time with their parents and were a lot more specifically defined by the parents than by the peers.

In public schools we see children who learn from other children how to behave in society...this begets things such as bullies. Who is better qualified to teach a child how to behave, parents or peers? In some cases it's peers but generally speaking parents have a more realistic well-grounded ideas of proper conduct and behavior.

And while I realize that it is absurd, my hypothetical question stands.

"What would the world be like if children learned how to behave from their parents and not from the kids on the bus?"

Would there be kids who would go crazy and shoot their parents like in Columbine?

And I'm not saying there wouldn't be... But you have to wonder what drastic changes it would make in the deportment of your everyday human.
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-31-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Jin's Avatar
    Homeschooling is a double bladed sword that has both advantages and disadvantages, the latter of which are quite troublesome. The problem with homeschooling is that you may not get any concept of the outside world and therefore can only believe what your parents believe if they're the type to further shelter you, which are usually the people whose philosophies are dangerous. On the other hand, if your parents don't put a bubble around you, or you go out of your way to expose yourself to the world then homeschooling can create a truly wonderful intellect. Now I'm a product of the public schooling system and it was exteremely easy. However, that's because I had teachers and deadlines pushing me every step of the way. Without those influences, I don't think I would have been able to do as good as I did and I have tremendous respect for anyone that's able to do well in homeschool by pushing themselves to get their work done. This prepares people more for the world than public school ever could. My girlfriend is homeschooled and she's a hell of a lot smarter than me and I have enormous respect for her because no one told her to study the way she does to do well, she did it on her own.

Until now!

Govinda
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniTense
    It's true that many parents would not, could not (and in many cases should not) homeschool. But as I see today...too many people rely on the blessed structure of public school. They never have to think of what to do outside of which class is next or what color backpack will I have? They do nothing on the lines of having to organize time or self-reliance. This is a tough lesson to teach from a school.
    You actually learn a great deal about both self-reliance and time management from school, if your desire is to pass. You're alone in the exams; there's nobody who's really going to force you to study. You have to make time for that study, and for homework. It gets harder as you move up through the system.

In public schools we see children who learn from other children how to behave in society...this begets things such as bullies. Who is better qualified to teach a child how to behave, parents or peers? In some cases it's peers but generally speaking parents have a more realistic well-grounded ideas of proper conduct and behavior.
    This is a very good point. Yet, being in school aids this process, or at least did for me; had I not seen bullying and then stood in defence of people being bullied, I doubt I would have the strong moral sense I have today. My parents taught me the basics of morals, but growing up and seeing people of my own age acting in different ways allowed me to make my own judgements; that is, I learned how to act in the face of a bully, and so on. Seeing moral and immoral actions played out over time, myself and many like me were able to learn exactly what and what not to do, based upon the feelings evoked by seeing bullying.

It would be great if bullying didn't exist in schools; but regardless, it will always exist outwith it. There will always be the boss who bullies you, the asshole on the bus, and a million other variations. School prepares you for it and teaches you how to act, in a way.

And I'm not saying there wouldn't be... But you have to wonder what drastic changes it would make in the deportment of your everyday human.
    Interesting idea.

Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Jin's Avatar
    You actually learn a great deal about both self-reliance and time management from school, if your desire is to pass. You're alone in the exams; there's nobody who's really going to force you to study. You have to make time for that study, and for homework. It gets harder as you move up through the system.
    That's a lie. Maybe school works differently in the UK, but in Canada, at least at my school, our teachers pushed us really hard to do well. If we were falling behind, we were taken aside and punished and often given tasks to increase our productivity. Even the kids that simply did not want to be there were given this form of special treatment and attention. You had to really suck or be really lazy to fail. Homeschool isn't necessarily like that. It depends on your parent. Some are worse, some are better, but I find that it's usually one or the other; they either have less of a chance to learn self reliance, or more of a chance. In my experience, I've dealt more with the latter.

Either way, public school does not prepare anyone for anything. At least mine didn't.

Until now!

Blog Entries
    I have to say that Jintatsu mentioned possibly the only ill-effect of homeschooling that I have personally suffered. It limits substantially your world view. Now, if you're lucky and your parents are the level-headed clear-thinking sort then you're all set.

But even then it tends towards molding one like a pudding after one's own parents.

I was keen enough to realize this and have ever since developed as much individuality as possible to draw from this flaw.

There is no preventing this, unfortunately. If you dip all of your knowledge from the same well then variety is denied you and if the well is tainted, then so are you.

well im homebound wich is like homeschooled except im still in the school system. So if went to a school then i was homebound i would be doing work from tht school. but see i was forced into homebound for reasons i dont wana descus and i dont get to do the fun science expirements, field trips, dances, nothing that doesnt invole a book. HEKwhere im from homebound students can set foot on property owned by the school theyre homebound from.and i only get to go to my homebound twice a week for an hour and a half so i feel like i dont get the time the other kids get to have things explained to them and its hard managing half a week's worth of work (which is how much homework i get form my home bound each time since i only have it twice a week it has to be tht way) all by your self cus i mean in school teachers help u and give u time to work on it and do all kinds of stuff. but i barely get any of tht. so i say homeschooling suxs.
    Last edited by metal572; 02-01-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Govinda
    Quote Originally Posted by Jintatsu
    That's a lie. Maybe school works differently in the UK, but in Canada, at least at my school, our teachers pushed us really hard to do well. If we were falling behind, we were taken aside and punished and often given tasks to increase our productivity. Even the kids that simply did not want to be there were given this form of special treatment and attention. You had to really suck or be really lazy to fail. Homeschool isn't necessarily like that. It depends on your parent. Some are worse, some are better, but I find that it's usually one or the other; they either have less of a chance to learn self reliance, or more of a chance. In my experience, I've dealt more with the latter.

Either way, public school does not prepare anyone for anything. At least mine didn't.

In my school, if you didn't work, you were left behind. That was the end of the matter; if you misbehaved, the next year you were put into a class with fellow miscreants, and left there to rot. That policy was what formed the basis of most of my complaints. If you underperformed, you went to a class like that. I hated that system; it ruined my brother, who was perfectly behaved, but not that great academically.

That being said, my school was a particularly bad one. It failed 12 out of 14 points in the Her Majesty's Inspectorate inspection. It has a resident police officer. Not too long ago, a first year (12 year old) was arrested by said officer for posession of a 12 inch knife. Violence, crying teachers, the whole shebang. And an insane faculty of morons. Perhaps I was a little hasty in saying what I did, now that I consider that most schools probably weren't as bad as mine; but regardless, it was my experience.

Oddly, it was this very system that drove me to do as well as I did; it motivated me more than anything. The desire to get out not just of the school but of the whole area with good grades was what made me study.

I guess this is just another one of those subjects that depends on what you're like as a person, and your life experiences. You seem to have come out of homeschooling with a fair head on your shoulders, OmniTense; but metal 572 doesn't seem to like it as much. And so on.

In my school, if you didn't work, you were left behind. That was the end of the matter; if you misbehaved, the next year you were put into a class with fellow miscreants, and left there to rot. That policy was what formed the basis of most of my complaints. If you underperformed, you went to a class like that. I hated that system; it ruined my brother, who was perfectly behaved, but not that great academically.

That being said, my school was a particularly bad one. It failed 12 out of 14 points in the Her Majesty's Inspectorate inspection. It has a resident police officer. Not too long ago, a first year (12 year old) was arrested by said officer for posession of a 12 inch knife. Violence, crying teachers, the whole shebang. And an insane faculty of morons. Perhaps I was a little hasty in saying what I did, now that I consider that most schools probably weren't as bad as mine; but regardless, it was my experience.

Oddly, it was this very system that drove me to do as well as I did; it motivated me more than anything. The desire to get out not just of the school but of the whole area with good grades was what made me study.

I guess this is just another one of those subjects that depends on what you're like as a person, and your life experiences. You seem to have come out of homeschooling with a fair head on your shoulders, OmniTense; but metal 572 doesn't seem to like it as much. And so on.
    That reminds me of one of my schools back in NZ. You were pretty much streamed to your academic ability. I'd hate to sound up myself here, but there was never any doubt that i'd get into anything buy the top class, but it was a good motivator. That said, as was the your brother, i've seen some basically good (but stupid) guys get absolutly fcked over by that system.

I personally am not a fan of the home schooling concept. Schools exert multiple influences upon you, and equip you with valuable interpersonal skills, which you're going to need, unless you're an adecamic. That exposure is invaluable. Home schooling also means your primary influences are your parents. This may or may not be a good thing, but having a variety of influences is never bad. It makes you that much more learned a person, provided you chose to.. well.. learn from it.

I've personally never been home schooled, but i have been to seven schools spanning several cities and three countries over the last six years of my schooling.
    Last edited by Casanova[OCAU]; 02-01-2007 at 05:48 PM.
    Spoiler:
    dont u have anything better to do than highlighting my sig?

Rikkuffx's hubby..

Blog Entries

It's a shame and sad too that there isn't some high-flown panacea to soothe all these disturbing trends...

And while it is true that I could have turned out much worse than I did...I cannot produce myself as an example of the wonders of homeschool.

It may be that there is no superior path to pick, but merely a path that is suitable to the indivual.

I could not stand to be told what to learn by any single person or institution. It drove me insane. It was like being force-fed oatmeal while knowing that there was steak to chew.

For me, the freedom to study what I wished was the holy grail. It should be left up to the individual.

This ain't no place for no hero Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Tiffany's Avatar
    My little cousin is being homeschooled right now. I respect my Aunt's decision to do it, but I have my qualms about it.

I really see no harm in homeschooling from Grade 1-6 or whatever, but I do feel that there are certain friendships, life lessons and the like that you need to learn while being in a school environment.

Although I'm kinda curious, and perhaps this might change my opinion on homeschooling, but how did you learn to properly work in groups? There were tons of group projects that we had to do in schools to teach us how to function and learn in a group environment.

My little cousin is taught only by my aunt, with no other children around. To me, that's robbing her of the friends and fun that she could have in an acutal school setting.

Blog Entries
    We had communities(big communities and small ones) with which we went on field trips, had science fairs and youth clubs. Socially, we were exposed in the same manner as you all, save we were minded by our parents and our socializing went on only twice a week all year long.

As far as people who just homeschool by themselves...I don't know. Sounds kind of lonely to me... I always had a large supply of very good friends and no enemies. I guess they're on their own.

This ain't no place for no hero Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Tiffany's Avatar
    Yeah, in a group setting I can totally understand. I worry about her ability to be able to function properly in social settings, considering the only interaction she has with other children near her age is Church.

Bass Player Extraordinaire Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Joe's Avatar
    Opinion from a former homeschooler:

Once I was forced to go to public school in fifth grade, I hated it. The public school system was a nightmare. I knew how to work with others, I just hated it. I always found that my productivity was highly increased when I worked alone. group dynamics, to me, is an excuse for a single person, usually the smartest, to have all of the work dumped on him/her while the others fart around.

The teachers at my school couldn't care less if we succeeded; they figured that if one student knew about it, then they could teach the students. Teh group dynamic was emphasized to a higher degree, and once the No child Left Behind Act was implemented, The smarter kids were restrianed under the philosophy that everyone had to advance at the same pace. I suffered through the extra practice that i was given until everyone got the topic, and I suffered because of it. I had learned more in first to fourth grade homeschooling than I learned in my public school education.

I am currently a junior in high school, but I got fed up with the social and educational organization of teh typical high school after my freshman year, that I sought somethign better.

I discovered a type of hgih school called an early college. An early college is completely different from regular high school. The students are required to take college classes (I am enrolled in four, and am over halfway to an asociate's degree. For those who care, I am enrolled in Expository writing, college algebra, World civilizations and intro to computers(im only in intro to computers b/c its requried)). The environment is much like family, and the chians placed on those thirsting for knowledge were lifted. The environmetn is much like family, and everybody encourages and pushes everyone else to do their best.

I miss my homeschooling days, but I have found something so much better. Currently I am valedictorian, and none have been able to unseat me from that position.

All of that being said. I would reccommend homeschooling at least through elementary school, if not middle school. I fear for her ability to succeed in typical high school, where everything is arranged in a hierarchial structure, and those who do not conform to typical stereotypes, much less the "normal and even" level of intellegence are expunged from the social scene, and constrined in the educational level.

Note: in case you are unfamiliar with the arrangement of american public schools, elementary school lasts from 1st-5th grade (age 6-10 or so), and middle school last from 6th-8th grade (age 11ish to 13 or so)
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Quote Originally Posted by joesteel64
    Opinion from a former homeschooler:

Once I was forced to go to public school in fifth grade, I hated it. The public school system was a nightmare. I knew how to work with others, I just hated it. I always found that my productivity was highly increased when I worked alone. group dynamics, to me, is an excuse for a single person, usually the smartest, to have all of the work dumped on him/her while the others fart around.

The teachers at my school couldn't care less if we succeeded; they figured that if one student knew about it, then they could teach the students. Teh group dynamic was emphasized to a higher degree, and once the No child Left Behind Act was implemented, The smarter kids were restrianed under the philosophy that everyone had to advance at the same pace. I suffered through the extra practice that i was given until everyone got the topic, and I suffered because of it. I had learned more in first to fourth grade homeschooling than I learned in my public school education.

I am currently a junior in high school, but I got fed up with the social and educational organization of teh typical high school after my freshman year, that I sought somethign better.

I discovered a type of hgih school called an early college. An early college is completely different from regular high school. The students are required to take college classes (I am enrolled in four, and am over halfway to an asociate's degree. For those who care, I am enrolled in Expository writing, college algebra, World civilizations and intro to computers(im only in intro to computers b/c its requried)). The environment is much like family, and the chians placed on those thirsting for knowledge were lifted. The environmetn is much like family, and everybody encourages and pushes everyone else to do their best.

I miss my homeschooling days, but I have found something so much better. Currently I am valedictorian, and none have been able to unseat me from that position.

All of that being said. I would reccommend homeschooling at least through elementary school, if not middle school. I fear for her ability to succeed in typical high school, where everything is arranged in a hierarchial structure, and those who do not conform to typical stereotypes, much less the "normal and even" level of intellegence are expunged from the social scene, and constrined in the educational level.

Note: in case you are unfamiliar with the arrangement of american public schools, elementary school lasts from 1st-5th grade (age 6-10 or so), and middle school last from 6th-8th grade (age 11ish to 13 or so)
    Mate.. I sooo sympathise with you..

That said, I was lucky enough to have been enrolled in a schools where
    1. they didn't emphasize group work as much
    2. there were generally very smart kids
    3. The classes were streamed to ability (especially in teh crucial years of grade 8 and 9)

Till grade 6, I was in India, where it's just cut throat competition.

But if your school emphasized group work AND had a lot of idiots, then wow.. painful. It's damn annoying having to work with stupid people when I'm at uni, so I can understand ur frustration..

Good work on you for doin early college btw! I did one subject earlier (Maths) and you're doin Three!! w00t!

Tiffany, if you have a gifted child, send her to a good school. Most of the schools I went to weren't private schools, so we didn't have to live in a cardboard box, but they were the best of the government schools. Generally, a bit of research goes a long way.
    Spoiler:

Rikkuffx's hubby..

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar
    I've been homeschooled (though self-study would be a better word in my case) through half of middle school and all of high school. It's...not that great by itself. The whole thing about becoming more self-reliant, etc. doesn't really fit with my scenario. I have always had horrible study habits, and being homeschooled does not change that. Whether it's public, private, or home, you need to have your study habits instilled in you from the beginning or work hard at making your own.

The biggest problem with homeschooling is the popular notion that you lack a varied social environment. I agree with this completely. Again, like with studying, unless your parents provide you with a framework or you go out and do things yourself, you're going to be isolated. There are many types of homeschool, of course, but I was part of the one where you don't have a group (possibly of "like-minded individuals"). So if it weren't for an outside activity or two, I would have isolated myself completely. This can be a rather big problem when you enter college or the workforce. I don't really believe in ethical and social standards, but you have to be able to coexist with people around you. That can be quite tough if you have a cloak over your cage.

I can't say much about religious homeschool groups...I suppose, depending on what's being taught the community people live in, things could turn out well. But again, if you're not taught how to deal with the varying world views you will assuredly come across it can take its toll. I would probably say the same for any sort of place that polarizes a particular aspect of culture, whether it be religion, gender, etc.

However, I can't really say homeschool is all that bad. At some points it's probably even necessary. A lot of children require special education that public schools (and even private) cannot or simply do not have the patience to provide. If you have a learning disability, regardless of whether or not it stems from something greater, it can be very tough. Children in special education aren't always treated well, amongst their peers or by the teachers themselves. Many of those students are just normal people with deficiencies in various areas. If the student can perceive that they are "the odd one out" (and in most cases they can) it can be a very terrible experience. At times like this a parent should take the steps necessary to protect his or her child. Most schools certainly will not.

This is one of those many decisions that need to be made on a case-by-case basis though. Homeschool is not a great alternative, but it isn't terrible either. It's just an option. If the parents can work hard to make the experience enjoyable both academically and socially, then you may just have a winner. However, many parents don't have the time to do this sort of thing, which is where things begin to fall through the cracks. It would take a certain kind of person to handle it and come out of it well.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 03-12-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Bass Player Extraordinaire Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Joe's Avatar
    I can't say much about religious homeschool groups...I suppose, depending on what's being taught the community people live in, things could turn out well. But again, if you're not taught how to deal with the varying world views you will assuredly come across it can take its toll. I would probably say the same for any sort of place that polarizes a particular aspect of culture, whether it be religion, gender, etc.
    That raises an interesting point: How would one homeschooled in a purely religious setting turn out?

I myself have been witness to a case of this, and that outcome has potentially devastating consequences. Have you ever tried to have a scientific, or for that matter, any kind of debate with someone who is intensely close minded, and refuses to acknowledge one's point as remotely valid/viable?

Tiffany, whether you cihld is gifted/advanced or not, try to allow her to experience many different view points so that she can form her own. Having an open mind is very important. (I'm actually a closet atheist, becuase my parents would kill me if they found out. They are devout christians)
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Quote Originally Posted by joesteel64
    I myself have been witness to a case of this, and that outcome has potentially devastating consequences. Have you ever tried to have a scientific, or for that matter, any kind of debate with someone who is intensely close minded, and refuses to acknowledge one's point as remotely valid/viable?
    That matter probably transcends the issue of homeschool. Anyone who truly believes in their religion will simply quote their holy texts when faced with a scientific contradiction and leave it with that. I don't mean this badly either, but when a person uses a literal interpretation of the text it becomes important not to undermine what is being said. Science can do this.

But again, depending on the community, it may be fine (for them) to be raised wholly on religious values. How extreme those religious values are and how much the person truly believes in them could, I think, very well impact them once they step outside that area. This isn't limited to homeschool either, though. Various communities/private schools/etc. can be very closed off.

I knew someone who was taking German in college. There was a German transfer student in that class who was taking it because it'd give her easy credits. As the story goes, she objected to the Holocaust having ever taken place, saying that it was propaganda to be used against Hitler, who was a great leader. There are divisions of "extreme" belief systems everywhere, and I don't think a homeschool setting would help further these more than said private schools.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 03-12-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Registered User Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Dimi's Avatar
    Homeschooling is a great way to learn and get educated apart from going to either public/private schools. I've never been homeschooled, but I could imagine that its similar to a public school except its just you and your teacher, no one else I believe.

Ever since I started school, I've been in a public school since then and its really nice. You can socialize with people there, join clubs or sports, and basically get involved and active wirh your school. I've always liked being around with other people and going to school.

I see homeschooling as something positive instead of negative. Sure you don't have much of a social life compared to kids at school, but you learn a lot more then others do at schools possibly.

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knox
    Homeschooling is a great way to learn and get educated apart from going to either public/private schools. I've never been homeschooled, but I could imagine that its similar to a public school except its just you and your teacher, no one else I believe.
    In my own experience with home education, it is nothing like public schooling.

I was taught a few mere years before I went on to teach myself, and I was never really happy with it. I had formerly been in a public school, where it'd been about 95% different to being taught publicly.

Once I became a tutor for my younger brother, I learnt to add fun and variation into lessons to keep him from tiring from work like I did.

Homeschooling is lonely, but I've managed to befriend and tutor a child, and he is happy.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Registered User Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Dimi's Avatar
    Originally posted by Chez Daja
    In my own experience with home education, it is nothing like public schooling.

I was taught a few mere years before I went on to teach myself, and I was never really happy with it. I had formerly been in a public school, where it'd been about 95% different to being taught publicly.
    Interesting....What I've been wondering though is if like if someone that was homeschooled around high school for about a year or so and decided to transfer to a public school, would their grades that they got while being homeschooled effect the person that is trying to get into a public school?

Based on your opinion Chez, even though a public school and homeschooling are different from each other, would they have to "start-over" in a way with no credits/units?

OP. How 'educational' was the whole 'United Christian Homeschool Association' home schooling concept. From what I see around, your average American Christian is about as moderate as the average moderate Muslim in the ME is. (not very)

Did you actually learn deep analysis skills?
    Spoiler:

Rikkuffx's hubby..

Quote Originally Posted by Knox
    Interesting....What I've been wondering though is if like if someone that was homeschooled around high school for about a year or so and decided to transfer to a public school, would their grades that they got while being homeschooled effect the person that is trying to get into a public school?
    If I recall correctly, homeschooling in the strictest sense within the United States is setup so that you will only receive half the credits you would normally receive in a public school. There are district and privately-funded home study programs that will give you the full amount of credit for your work, but many of these require you to report into a station with work in a timely manner (lest you want to be dropped). Unlike public schools here that simply want you to attend, these want both your attendance (however many hours a week) and work (which will probably require many hours of home study). For someone with good work ethic, it shouldn't be hard to meet the bare minimum but it can take much longer to graduate than it would in public high school. I assume that with literal homeschooling, because of the halved credits, students are forced to make many, many more electives or self-made classes to make up for it.

With these programs all credits should transfer over with few exceptions, and I'm pretty sure that homeschooling works the same (except you only get the half). I don't believe they will accept partially completed classes though, and there may be other complications with classes you've already taken depending on school policy. For instance, some places do not offer "lab" credits for sciences, which is a pain in the ass because you'll probably end up having to retake the sciences for these lab credits in high school or college.

Grades tend to be irrelevant in most cases when transferring from homeschooling to a public school. I think they are transferred over as is, though. The problem is that private schools that look over your grades (perhaps that interview you?) may look down on homeschooling. There may also been particular accelerated programs in high schools that you could only get into had you stuck through various programs in elementary and middle school. Both schools and districts tend to have their own rules on that particular aspect, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Casanova[OCAU]
    What the? What exactly do you mean by analysis skills? Do you mean looking past one's own beliefs and reading into others? The way you worded your post makes the term sound more subjective than it should be.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 03-23-2007 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    I was privately schooled (Catholic) all the way, but one of my mates was home schooled, and she did fine, not socially retarded or nothing. If anything she's more normal than me. It might be different in America, I guess, but over here in the area I live in, in Australia, everyone's mates with everyone (mostly, we do get emo try hards, would be gangsters and would be tough asses), and it doesn't really seem to matter where you go, as everyone either ends up going to tafe or sitting the same HSC exams and going on to the same places, such as one of several universities.
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Casanova[OCAU]
    OP. How 'educational' was the whole 'United Christian Homeschool Association' home schooling concept. From what I see around, your average American Christian is about as moderate as the average moderate Muslim in the ME is. (not very)

Not very kind of you, lol

Actually we had graduations and placement tests. Science Fairs and we policed our members to make sure that all of us were actually teaching.

It's not like we were this breeding ground for Republicans and Conservative ideas. We met to teach and socialize. Most of the children that underwent the UCHA have gone on to Major Universities with major grades.

The majority of the schoolwork was done at home with the supervision of the parent. The Co-op was merely an institution. The learning was directed by the parents. So once again it varies. We did have safeguards to ensure that the parents were teaching. It seems everything worked as planned.
    Last edited by Sinister; 03-24-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast