Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knox
    Interesting....What I've been wondering though is if like if someone that was homeschooled around high school for about a year or so and decided to transfer to a public school, would their grades that they got while being homeschooled effect the person that is trying to get into a public school?

Based on your opinion Chez, even though a public school and homeschooling are different from each other, would they have to "start-over" in a way with no credits/units?
    Well, we'd have a teacher coime around every year. I now get that for my brother as well... they somewhat "grade" what the year was like for us.

I personally always got exceeding expectations in everything EXCEPT Math. I've never been good at it.

So, I think that if public schools really wanted past "grades" so to speak, they could easily get in contact with the teachers that reviewed us.

I'm not sure how the system works like that in Britain.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    From reading all of the above, I get the feeling that the issue differs country to country, due to the differences in the schooling and home schooling services. And from personal experience and thinking, as well as chatting with some friends of mine, I think that the person involved also matters. Some people are more or less social than others or reach out more. SOme are shy, yet others want to be the first to know others. In other words I believe the possible social implications of home schooling may differ greatly from person to person. Academically I've seen a trend in that home schooled person's grades seem to be generally higher. But then again, my sample of people I've seen is very small and includes people such as myself who don't get the best test results anyway and go to or have gone to mainstream schools.
    victoria aut mors

Sir Prize Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My final impression on homeschooling is that it is a bit of a gamble. It varies depending on the will and determination of the parent and the child. Like I said, I was something of an autodidact. I did not mind learning at all as long as I could learn at my own pace on my own terms. I couldn't stand being forcefed knowledge.

In the end I'm the better for it. Any true homeschool probably is as well. As for people who mask themselves as homeschoolers so that they can forego school and all of it's troubles, they probably desperately needed the structure provided in a public school.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Homeschooling teaches everything except one main thing. Social interaction!!! You need to learn how to become interactive with others. This is something a book can not teach you, but rather experience. If you took a person who had been in homeschool all of their life, and took them to see a live band, a live baseball game, or even a local club/pub. They would lose their minds. Making friends, interacting, learning to finally get the courage to ask the girl/guy out are all things that you must learn and can't be taught to you from a book. Only experience can level you up^^. No pun intended.

True love never dies!!
    Checkout my AMV'shttp://www.youtube.com/user/Nemesis4567

Numb Homeschooling: Opinions Wanted Ryayukou's Avatar
    I was home-schooled until I was about 13. My family was in the military, and because we moved around so much, my mom home-schooled us because changing schools every 2-3 years is annoying. I have 2 older brothers and a younger sister. We socialized with other kids our age, usually other military kids. We'd have classes at public schools and music lessons. While we didn't go to public school all the time, we were very well behaved kids.

By the time my dad retired and we settled, my mom gave us the option of continuing to home-school or go to public school. My oldest brother was done with his high school classes, so he took his ACT and SAT and got accepted to Tokyo University, and was one of only 2 Americans to receive the full-ride. My other brother and I went to junior high and then high school. I received high honors as did my brother. My younger sister on the other hand, did go to high school and didn't do so well. She ended up dropping out and is working on her GED.

Do I believe home-schooling is better? Not always. Same with public school. Some people cannot handle the pressures of high school, like my sister. Anyone, in general, can do one or the other, or both, and it doesn't matter as long as you get an education. I think that many people think of home-schooling as being locked up in a room, doing homework in pajamas, and so on. It's a matter of what works best for your lifestyle and schedule.

SOLDIER's back, back... back again... SOLDIER's back... tell a friend!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2